Damn, I'm a cheap bastard....bought a $100 engine/trans skid - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 81 Old 01-24-2014, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Damn, I'm a cheap bastard....bought a $100 engine/trans skid

There are places to spend money on a build and places to save money...and true to my perceptions about cheap bumpers and skids I bought this:

E-Autogrilles skid plate....

Yep, the old e-autogrilles, apparently now in the skid plate business. It's pretty much un-possible to beat $100 for an engine/trans skid with good coverage. Even if it sucks, I'll pound that bitch back out and weld some channel onto the back side to make it rigid. If it's made of soda cans, for $100 I'll shitcan it and call it a lesson learned. We'll see....

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 81 Old 01-24-2014, 07:41 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Sometimes you gotta be the guinea pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #3 of 81 Old 01-24-2014, 07:41 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Can't beat that price even if you have to burn some more metal to it. Hell I bent my rock hard skid that looks just like that one first time out with it.

The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.-Thomas Paine

See Garage for Mods
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 81 Old 01-24-2014, 08:35 AM
Wheeler

this is funny in the ebay description....

Exactly Same as the Picture
Installation Instruction Are Not Provided.
Professional Installation Recommended

post #5 of 81 Old 01-24-2014, 08:43 AM
Granite Guru

I wouldn't be skeptical at all it says "Best Quality in the market"

Good find though I may pick one up myself I throw more than a 100 dollars away in trash each day.
post #6 of 81 Old 01-24-2014, 08:55 AM
Jeepineer

Garage

IMO, good move. Even if it's just a starter skin. I picked up a PJ engine tranny skid bent like a taco for basically some work in trade, and am welding tringulating gussets behind it where it's flat, and subsequently bend prone currently. Cheap and effective.

-Mike
2007 2dr X, 6sp, 35's on D44's, 2" lift, cage, hydro, etc.
post #7 of 81 Old 01-24-2014, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsbmg View Post
Hey, they can't put it on the internet if it isn't true.

I'm trying to figure out the weird extension over to the frame rail on the driver's side. It almost looks like a half-baked attempt at an exhaust loop shield.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
post #8 of 81 Old 01-24-2014, 09:07 AM
Rock God

Subscribed. Keep us up on how it goes. Apparently you are not the only JK owner who is a little on the frugal side. Now if I could find a $100 rear bumper and tire carrier!

2007 Rubi Unlimited. Teraflex 2.5 lift + Fox shocks, Nitto Trail Grappler 35s on XD Addicts, 5.38s, Ten Factory rear shafts, Riddler diff covers, Purejeep front axle truss and Teraflex gussets, Tatton front driveline, Rugged Ridge Modular front bumper with XRC8 Comp winch, Superchips programmer, Volant intake, MBRP exhaust, Hella H4 headlight conversion, Body Armor "not so Extreme" Rock Rails, in-cab winch control,Best Top Trek Top.-Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 81 Old 01-24-2014, 09:36 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrider View Post
Subscribed. Keep us up on how it goes. Apparently you are not the only JK owner who is a little on the frugal side. Now if I could find a $100 rear bumper and tire carrier!
There's a cheap $300 one on ebay that looks interesting-little out of your price range though....lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

www.4x4s-pod.com
post #10 of 81 Old 01-24-2014, 09:39 AM
A JKO DICK

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsbmg View Post

Good find though I may pick one up myself I throw more than a 100 dollars away in trash each day.
And where might I find this cash laden trash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
What is wrong with stupid people? Never mind
Quote:
If I'm gonna kiss a man, I want it to be hard and rough... not gay!
post #11 of 81 Old 01-24-2014, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrider View Post
That's one area where I have to eat my own words. Cheap bumpers without carriers, good. Cheap tire carrier/bumper combos suck like a two-bit hooker. I tried a couple, some even not really cheap...I might as well have flushed money down the toilet. Integrated non-latching tailgate carriers are the great savior from rattles, loosening, adjustment nightmares, and all kinds other chit. My first JK rear was a Rugged Ridge bumper/carrier combo....it was so bad that RR almost had it dropped through their roof from ten thousand feet.

But if you run a separate carrier that can handle your spare, cheap is back to being good.

-Milton Friedman
post #12 of 81 Old 01-24-2014, 10:29 AM
A JKO DICK

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADGER View Post
That's one area where I have to eat my own words. Cheap bumpers without carriers, good. Cheap tire carrier/bumper combos suck like a two-bit hooker. I tried a couple, some even not really cheap...I might as well have flushed money down the toilet. Integrated non-latching tailgate carriers are the great savior from rattles, loosening, adjustment nightmares, and all kinds other chit. My first JK rear was a Rugged Ridge bumper/carrier combo....it was so bad that RR almost had it dropped through their roof from ten thousand feet.

But if you run a separate carrier that can handle your spare, cheap is back to being good.
My Smitty with swing out carrier works great, no rattles, doesn't open while I drive and the JK hasn't exploded from it, yeat.

Quote:
Quote:
post #13 of 81 Old 01-24-2014, 10:35 AM
Rock God

Quote:

I completely agree about the carrier. I've kinda been waiting for my stock rear bumper to get ripped off but after backing my spare into a tree during a night ride a while back and slightly bending my tailgate, I think I should probably do something about it before I start getting bigger problems. I really like the LOD and VKS combos and am thinking of going that route once I have some spare coin. (Which still might be a while)

2007 Rubi Unlimited. Teraflex 2.5 lift + Fox shocks, Nitto Trail Grappler 35s on XD Addicts, 5.38s, Ten Factory rear shafts, Riddler diff covers, Purejeep front axle truss and Teraflex gussets, Tatton front driveline, Rugged Ridge Modular front bumper with XRC8 Comp winch, Superchips programmer, Volant intake, MBRP exhaust, Hella H4 headlight conversion, Body Armor "not so Extreme" Rock Rails, in-cab winch control,Best Top Trek Top.-Sold
post #14 of 81 Old 01-24-2014, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASSFROW View Post
My Smitty with swing out carrier works great, no rattles, doesn't open while I drive and the JK hasn't exploded from it, yeat.
My RR was a particularly craptacular design. I know when the Smitties came out they were initially having some issues with the latching mechanism, but they seem to be solid these days. I see them all over, so they must be working out well.

My other bumper carrier was actually a Hardrock, which was far from crappy....but after a few years of CO wheeling, I couldn't keep it from rattling no matter how I adjusted it. Like the say in the Bronx, ya just nevah, nevah know...

-Milton Friedman
post #15 of 81 Old 01-24-2014, 10:51 AM
A JKO DICK

Garage

Quote:
My RR was a particularly craptacular design. I know when the Smitties came out they were initially having some issues with the latching mechanism, but they seem to be solid these days. I see them all over, so they must be working out well.

My other bumper carrier was actually a Hardrock, which was far from crappy....but after a few years of CO wheeling, I couldn't keep it from rattling no matter how I adjusted it. Like the say in the Bronx, ya just nevah, nevah know...
Picking my spare up to put it on the carrier makes my sphincter bearing rattle.

I would imagine wheeling hard will make almost anything rattle.

Quote:
Quote:
post #16 of 81 Old 01-24-2014, 11:01 AM
Rock God

Awesome find...

Might need some speed holes, such a great friggin find!

Soon to be a vendor!!!
Looking for a good Rat Rod JK donor vehicle.
post #17 of 81 Old 01-24-2014, 11:28 AM
A JKO DICK

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeucesALLin View Post
Might need some speed holes, such a great friggin find!
What does drilling holes in the rear bumper of your Civic have to do with this thread?

Quote:
Quote:
post #18 of 81 Old 01-24-2014, 12:38 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASSFROW View Post
And where might I find this cash laden trash?
Socal! If I had not bought or sold 1/2 the stuff I have thrown away over the years I would be retired!

Last edited by rsbmg; 01-24-2014 at 12:40 PM.
post #19 of 81 Old 01-24-2014, 12:40 PM
Rock God

Says "skid row" in the description.
But not the same as http://www.skidplates.com/Engine_07_JK.asp

08 "X", RC BB, 33" Duratracs, Coast 1310 front, Hellfires, Woods evap relo.
post #20 of 81 Old 01-24-2014, 01:27 PM
Rock God

That's a knock off of the Rockhard engine skid. That extra little "wing" protects the y-pipe/crossover on the 3.8 jeeps. Not sure if it will clear the loop on the 3.6 jeeps.

2008 X 2-door, 35" Duratacs, Clayton Long-arm, geared and locked

2012 Rubi 2-door, 37" Nittos, Method Beadlocks, JKS Suspension, JCR everything
post #21 of 81 Old 01-24-2014, 01:41 PM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlvrJK View Post
That's a knock off of the Rockhard engine skid. That extra little "wing" protects the y-pipe/crossover on the 3.8 jeeps. Not sure if it will clear the loop on the 3.6 jeeps.
I wonder if Rockhard knows they are being ripped off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #22 of 81 Old 01-24-2014, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

I have to say that I do feel for the individuals and companies who put in the R&D time and money only to get ripped off by the Chinese. On the other hand, it is a skid plate....a few press brake bends and holes drilled isn't exactly a high level engineering effort worth inducing passionate intellectual property feelings. The only above-and-beyond skid systems I am aware of are the Poly setup, and the EVO ones are a pretty cool design also. The rest are....well, cut plates. The Rockhard system does use cone washers for bolt protection which is pretty cool.

The upshot of this is that I'm willing to bet that there is virtually no crossover of customer base from cheap Chinese rip-offs to quality American made stuff. Those looking at top-shelf parts aren't looking at Chinese stuff, and vice-versa, so there's room in the sea for both fish.

-Milton Friedman
post #23 of 81 Old 01-24-2014, 03:53 PM
Granite Guru

Some say rip off some say capitalism. Either way good companies rise to the top and bad companies sink to the bottom (usually). Sometimes the "good" company was simply overcharging and another company makes the same thing for a more appropriate price. Its the way of the world.
post #24 of 81 Old 01-25-2014, 05:43 AM
Granite Guru

Subscribed. I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on this too for the heck of it. Keep us all posted on your purchase.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
post #25 of 81 Old 01-25-2014, 09:23 AM
Granite Guru

I saw this last week and almost went for it. Interested in seeing how this turns out.

2014 Billet Silver 2-Door Sport on 37's with a bunch of other expensive chit
Cutts Crew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode