JK or JKU that is the Question.....+ some - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 67 Old 01-18-2014, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

JK or JKU that is the Question.....+ some

Ok so long story made short, use to have a YJ now want to get a newer jeep. I was thinking to get a Jk with 3.6 liter, but really comes down to the JK or JKU. Family man here with 3 boys but the oldest is driving his own XJ, and seldom goes with us anywhere unless he drives his own. so guess just looking for peoples Thoughts on the 2 different ones?

2nd question for you all what is the difference between a willys and willys w on the new models. I want to be able to go 4 wheeling nothing super hardcore but a rubicon is not out of the question just do not need all the bells and whisltes with it. Really WISH! the rubicon x was a stripped down rubicon, but alas no such luck!

so throw your thoughts at me and help me make a choice please.

Rockdwg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 Old 01-18-2014, 10:12 PM
Granite Guru

I went with the unlimited for the space and i dont like the roller skate look of a two door. The willys is basically a sticker package with 3.73 gears and limited slip in rear. Order one new and use something like tread lightly for under invoice pricing.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #3 of 67 Old 01-18-2014, 10:20 PM
JKO Addict!

I went with a Jeep not a minivan.

I've owned a 2D and a 4D... The only time I miss having the 4D is on long trips and when having to put my 2 kids (5 month old and 2 year old) in the backseat.

2012 Jeep Wrangler - Gecko
3.5" Rock Krawler X Factor
40x13.5 Nitto Mud Grapplers / 17" Fuel Hostage
Poison Spyder Brawler Lite / Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers
Poison Spyder RockBrawler w/ Tire Carrier

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
and yet... canada still sucks worse

we'd make fun of your prime minister if we could... unfortunately nobody's ever heard of him!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 67 Old 01-18-2014, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

what is the treadlightly think for under invoice pricing? ok willys is a sticker mainly would it be worth to find CoD verison if I decide to go with a rubicon version or is that all Hype too
post #5 of 67 Old 01-18-2014, 10:25 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Just buy a two door (real Jeep) and build a nice trailer for longer journeys...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #6 of 67 Old 01-18-2014, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Looks sweet details on your JK and trailer? trailers like that good for Camping too
post #7 of 67 Old 01-18-2014, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

another quick question superchargers worth it? seen Ripp in the forums a bit but what about any other companys?
post #8 of 67 Old 01-18-2014, 10:42 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Trailer build - El Cheapo build, cost under 1200.00 cash money.

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83346

I don't really have a Jeep build thread, so i'll just run down the parts list.

2011 2 door Sport.
*1.75" Rock Krawler Long Travel boost lift
*Rubicon take off wheels/tires (painted black).
*1.5 Spidertrax adapters for stance.
*Flowmaster 3 chamber, tucked high for clearance.
*K&N Drop in.
*Viair 400H on a Poly Performance bracket for OBA.
*Smittybilt Rubi style rails.
*JCR Dagger Stubby front bumper with bull bar
*Home fab'd rear bumper with bar style bottle opener on driver side.
*Bestop trail rack mount transformed into a twin Rigid D1 flood and Rotopax mount.
*Custom interior mounts for axe, shovel, and Hi-Lift.
*Custom aftermarket stereo, speakers, and subs.
*Custom LED Fog/Driving lights.
*Custom Rock lights flush mounted into the tub channels.
*Blue Sea Power Distribution.
*Artec front LCA skids

Wow, when I list it out, I realize how much i've already done and i'm nowhere near done.

Quote:
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
post #9 of 67 Old 01-18-2014, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Looks great something like that would be nice it sounds like
post #10 of 67 Old 01-18-2014, 11:21 PM
Granite Guru

Google tread lightly jeep discount. Takes the haggling away from getting a new jeep.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #11 of 67 Old 01-19-2014, 06:17 AM
JKO Addict!

Not even a question....if you can get by with the room in a 2 door alone or with a trailer or hitch basket, do it. They are more maneuverable, more fun to drive, cheaper, ligther, have better breakover angles, and are better at all things off-road excepting VERY steep climbs and descents. I own and have wheeled both 2-doors and 4-doors and for me its not even close. Now, if you are going to do any expedition-style stuff, the 4-door may be worth the extra pain.

Personally I think the only special edition of the Wrangler that is worth having is the Rubicon. Everything other package is just stickers, emblems, embroidery, and a bunch of other crap that doesn't matter.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
post #12 of 67 Old 01-19-2014, 06:28 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

so the tread lightly discount is 1% under invoice is that a dealer invoice or msrp invoice(window sticker price). Cause we all know that they really inflate the window sticker price over the dealer price?
post #13 of 67 Old 01-19-2014, 06:57 AM
Granite Guru

personally I think you're nuts if you get a 2dr. seeing how little room there is in our 4dr, I'd hate to own the 2dr version.

you will get many opinions on this and this is just mine. I'm glad I have the extra space when needed. granted I have a wife, 2 kids and a large dog so we need the room from time to time.

if you were single and no kids, I'd think you could get away with a 2dr.

from a wheelin aspect, the 2dr is so short they don't climb well compared to a longer wheelbase and can feel very uneasy.

all depends on how you truly will use it and how you might mod it in the future

if someone thinks the 4dr is not very maneuverable, I think they need some driving lessons

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'15 M&M Offroad triplethreat buggy #27

'00 s10
LQ4 6.0, 42s, 1 tons, etc.....RIP

'07 LBZ
Fleece Performance built
dyno'd 518/1040

'08 JKUR (detonator yellow)
35" Duratracs
wifes rig
post #14 of 67 Old 01-19-2014, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

yeah kindof the same boat a wife and 2 kids that would be with me, think that is the way I am leaning but then again the wife has a camary for long family road trips. think the jeep would be more of outdoor expeditions, camping, trail riding and maybe a run or 2 to moab or a jeep event. mild to mediocre off roading.
post #15 of 67 Old 01-19-2014, 07:38 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdwg View Post
yeah kindof the same boat a wife and 2 kids that would be with me, think that is the way I am leaning but then again the wife has a camary for long family road trips. think the jeep would be more of outdoor expeditions, camping, trail riding and maybe a run or 2 to moab or a jeep event. mild to mediocre off roading.
and then think about adding the extra stuff for those longer expeditions and camping.

'15 M&M Offroad triplethreat buggy #27

'00 s10
LQ4 6.0, 42s, 1 tons, etc.....RIP

'07 LBZ
Fleece Performance built
dyno'd 518/1040

'08 JKUR (detonator yellow)
35" Duratracs
wifes rig
post #16 of 67 Old 01-19-2014, 08:03 AM
Granite Guru

Unless you want to drag a trailer behind you there is nowhere to put that camping gear with a wife, 2 kids, and a dog already in the rig.

The extra wheelbase of the 4dr hasn't hindered me at all in CO, it actually takes tighter turns than my XJ did. Plenty of hairpins that I can make in 1 shot that my buddies with XJ's are backing up on. I do drag the belly frequently but its never hung me up and I invested in a full belly armor system so there isn't much to worry about doing it either.

Americans can sleep peaceably at night because US Soldiers stand ready to fight on their behalf

2008 Unlimited Rubicon: 37's, 3" Synergy Springs, Artec trusses, 5.38's, Winch, PSC/Poly Cage, Bumpers, TNT Alum belly skids, and other doodads
post #17 of 67 Old 01-19-2014, 08:15 AM
Rock God

If you own a lotta property and don't have to drive anywhere to off-road--getta 2dr !

If you want comfort/room/maneuverability/stability/ability to sleep inside comfy/wanna tow anything--Getta 4dr-

Getta Rubi and if you want to modify it--your starting at the top to begin with-

Good luck

JIMBO

Man, you gotta have style

"YELLOW JEEP No. 683"
post #18 of 67 Old 01-19-2014, 08:28 AM
Wheeler

Unlimited has the perfect amount of cargo space for me, my wife and two younger children plus laying down the front seat to allow someone to get in the back seat would get old again since there is a 4 door wrangler now. As for offroad they can hold their own but I got XJs for the trails.

2014 JKU Sport White, Auto, 3.73s
3'' Trailmaster with 3/4'' spacers
35'' KM2 on 15'' Baja 8s
15'' Earthquake subs with Boston Acoustic upgrade
AEV Procal
Angry Off-Road Handles
Custom Stubby Bumper w/Stinger

2007 Suburban 4x4 LTZ
1995 F-350 4x4 (Smoking fast)
1999 Cherokee 4x4 Rough Country Lift on Rubi take offs
1996 Cherokee 4x4 Skyjacker lift on 32s Locked front and rear
post #19 of 67 Old 01-19-2014, 08:35 AM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Listen to all of you Soccer Mommy wheelers!

Quote:
post #20 of 67 Old 01-19-2014, 10:31 AM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via MSN to b1pig

soccer mommy... well ... it is what it is.

the 4dr has alot more useable space than a 2dr. otherwise, its either a trailer or roof rack of some sort. my 4dr handled me, the wife and two teenage sons for a week long trip from s.ga to NYC. i could see out of the back window as well. coming home with some extra stuff, it was practically impossible to see out the back, but it contained all that was needed. the rear seat just isnt that comfortable for long trips... and thats something i take into consideration.

but with babies... it a little more tight. i started taking the easy route. we use a double stroller. i started hanging the stroller off the spare with a tiedown strap. doing that has saved me a ton of packing headaches with the babies onboard... and makes getting to the stroller "out" a lot easier.

'19 Ram 1500, '01 BMW R1100RT, '99 Fat Boy
needed: ̶b̶o̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ plane
post #21 of 67 Old 01-19-2014, 10:57 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADGER View Post
Not even a question....if you can get by with the room in a 2 door alone or with a trailer or hitch basket, do it. They are more maneuverable, more fun to drive, cheaper, ligther, have better breakover angles, and are better at all things off-road excepting VERY steep climbs and descents. I own and have wheeled both 2-doors and 4-doors and for me its not even close. Now, if you are going to do any expedition-style stuff, the 4-door may be worth the extra pain.

Personally I think the only special edition of the Wrangler that is worth having is the Rubicon. Everything other package is just stickers, emblems, embroidery, and a bunch of other crap that doesn't matter.

Perfect answer.

Driving my wife's RIPPd 4 dr Rubi automatic on 37s is boring compared to driving my RIPPd 2 dr Rubi 6 speed on 40s--both on and off road,

If the decision is that hard, buy both--his and hers.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

post #22 of 67 Old 01-19-2014, 11:19 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCTAZ View Post
Listen to all of you Soccer Mommy wheelers!
First off..... My son plays hockey, not soccer.

Secondly, no matter what variant (2 or 4 doors) the JK is the softest, most yuppied out, old lady friendly version of the Wrangler yet. If you're going to pussy out and get one you might as well go all the way and get 4 doors. A 2dr JK is like saying you're not gay because you're a top.

I look at the 4dr JK as the true replacement for the XJ, every bit as capable as the standard Wrangler but with more room for the family.

Americans can sleep peaceably at night because US Soldiers stand ready to fight on their behalf

2008 Unlimited Rubicon: 37's, 3" Synergy Springs, Artec trusses, 5.38's, Winch, PSC/Poly Cage, Bumpers, TNT Alum belly skids, and other doodads
post #23 of 67 Old 01-19-2014, 11:28 AM
JKO Addict!

Why buy a 4D when you can build a trailer and still have a Jeep and not a soccer mom minivan.

2012 Jeep Wrangler - Gecko
3.5" Rock Krawler X Factor
40x13.5 Nitto Mud Grapplers / 17" Fuel Hostage
Poison Spyder Brawler Lite / Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers
Poison Spyder RockBrawler w/ Tire Carrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
and yet... canada still sucks worse

we'd make fun of your prime minister if we could... unfortunately nobody's ever heard of him!
post #24 of 67 Old 01-19-2014, 11:34 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

It's really not even a debate if you have kids. The extra room is nice when going on long trips, no need to worry about paying extra at the toll booths because you're pulling a trailer, and if you're worried about the maneuverability of the 4dr holding you up on the trails, then imagine what it'll be like pulling a trailer and needing to back up on a trail somewhere.

If I had a 2dr, I'd definitely look to stretch it to get some of that wheelbase back that I love so much in my 4dr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Killing kids is a disgrace, i don't care how little they are.

post #25 of 67 Old 01-19-2014, 11:47 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacabb View Post
Why buy a 4D when you can build a trailer and still have a Jeep and not a soccer mom minivan.

Looks like a 4dr in the pic.

Do you always hook your trailer up with better tires that they tow vehicle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Killing kids is a disgrace, i don't care how little they are.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode