front carpet removal? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 09-11-2007, 06:46 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
front carpet removal?

do i need to look at it more cause it looks like i need to take the seats out to get the front carpet out. anyonbe do it?

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 09-11-2007, 08:33 AM
Broker by the Minute

Garage

I haven't done it but many mfg's use the seats as carpet locater/hold downs. I'd imagine it would just plain be easier with the seats out. So why are you pulling the carpet?
post #3 of 16 Old 09-11-2007, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

need to dry it out, i guess last nite we had a huge down pour and i had the soft top windows out and when i oped the door water came out. i took the rear carpets out at the start of summer but never botherd with the fronts. im gonna break out the shop vac and start getting the water out

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 09-11-2007, 10:59 AM
Broker by the Minute

Garage

Seems like that would be a lot easier. The shop vac then pulling the doors. That way the carpet will hold shape.

Good luck and let us know how it dries out.
post #5 of 16 Old 09-11-2007, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

well i vacumed it about 5 times and water is still coming up, at least its not a puddle anymore, jusy very damp

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #6 of 16 Old 09-11-2007, 03:24 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerMonkeY View Post
well i vacumed it about 5 times and water is still coming up, at least its not a puddle anymore, jusy very damp
One time I got water in a vehicle, I shopped Vac most then I carried my Dehumidifier out with the ext cord & piut it inside(ran for a long time). Works great, and ya I know, the neighbor's thought I looked like Harley & Bubba, but it worked. Did this for my basement carpet a few times.
Your Rubi looks good rolling on (20's).

Jim,
USMC 0311 - 1811 RVN (Dec 67 - Aug 69) DAV, DMZ "Leatherneck square"((To All The "November Charlie Foxtrot's" that think they know)) You Are Clueless
G27 , G26, & G22-C
post #7 of 16 Old 09-11-2007, 04:52 PM
Wheeler

Yeah, I woke up about 5:30 this morning to the sound of rain outside. I had the option of 45 minutes of more sleep or going out to put the windows on.....I went back to bed. It wasn't that bad this morning but by the time I got outta work, I had the same puddle problem up front. Figured I'd just get home and pull the drain plugs like I've always done in the past (getting my interior soaked is a right of passage for me it seems). Anyway, I go to pull up the carpet and was rather annoyed to see that they made it a pain to get at them. Ended up dumping two bucks in quarters at the local car wash and got most of it up. A bottle of Febreeze'll do the rest. Oh, if you want a nice little surprise, open the tailgate up and check out where the jack's stored. There should be a nice little wading pool waiting back there if you got soaked like me .
post #8 of 16 Old 09-17-2007, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

well i had to take it out, it was starting to smell. it wasent to hard but i had to cut about 1" in a spot , i could have taken the seat out but i figured ill prob be taking the carpets out alot. let them sit out in the sun for 2 days and there all dry now

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #9 of 16 Old 09-17-2007, 08:53 PM
Granite Guru

I can't say I've ever had my carpet soaked just yet, but has anyone tried hair drying it after hitting it with a powerful shop vac a few times? That coupled with some febreeze would see pretty sufficient. Maybe not?

-Casey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 16 Old 09-18-2007, 05:15 AM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ImmortalityLTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living Still View Post
I can't say I've ever had my carpet soaked just yet, but has anyone tried hair drying it after hitting it with a powerful shop vac a few times? That coupled with some febreeze would see pretty sufficient. Maybe not?

-Casey
And some DampRid when you've got it parked with the top on. I wouldn't recommend trying to drive with an open container of it sitting on the floor.

Don't ask me how I know.
post #11 of 16 Old 09-18-2007, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

the carpet itself dries/vacumes up ok its the really thick padding in the center of it that really holds the water in

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #12 of 16 Old 10-05-2007, 01:26 PM
14ers

Carpet replacement?

On that note, that was one of the things I was looking at... I'd like to rip out the carpet perm and just have rubber mats everywhere. Any companies make nice fitting one that won't slide around?

2008 Rescue Green UJK Rubicon 6 spd with a bunch of super cheap mods!
post #13 of 16 Old 10-05-2007, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

im not sure but i think the factory rubber ones fit pertty good. im prob gonna end up getting the inside of the tub lined (rhino,herculiner or some do it yourself kind) and keep the carpets out all the time

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #14 of 16 Old 10-17-2007, 12:08 PM

water on the floor

I`m amazed at how much water this jeep will hold.I`m still cleaning up from the last storm.I need to know if theres a "trick"to the soft top/windshield?I can`t hear my radio for the wind whistle and water drips in.The manual doesn`t show this joint,nor the cute postcard they sent.HELP!
post #15 of 16 Old 10-17-2007, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerMonkeY View Post
well i had to take it out, it was starting to smell. it wasent to hard but i had to cut about 1" in a spot , i could have taken the seat out but i figured ill prob be taking the carpets out alot. let them sit out in the sun for 2 days and there all dry now
I have taken mine out and I also had to make about 1" cut on both sides under the seats to get it out. The carpet does a very good job of holding its shape, provided you don't smash it, and it will go back in almost as easy as it came out. Mine got soaked the first day I had the top off so I just pulled the carpet out for the summer and then put it back in once I knew the top was going to stay on for the winter.

post #16 of 16 Old 10-17-2007, 03:36 PM
Broker by the Minute

Garage

That's good to know Doug! And I like your summer/winter suggestion. I think I just had a "well duh" moment.

Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode