New Wrangler 24 months away - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 Old 01-13-2014, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage
New Wrangler 24 months away

From our sweater clad friend at the top!

http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php...ngler-and-alfa

Quote:
To redesign the Wrangler is the riskiest thing you could do… if you’re talking about stubstantially upgrading the Wrangler… yes.” So said Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne at today’s “executive briefing,” webcast live from Cobo Hall in Detroit.

There have been debates over the knockdown windshield and removable door. “I don’t know how many people who own Wranglers have ever done that.” Still, Jeep can’t remove those attributes, even though the vehicle must be lightened and the powertrain must be updated. “You can update it, but you can’t change it.”

Full implementation is less than 24 months away. Volume is a problem, especially since the company has committed to not making Wranglers (for North America) outside of Toledo.

As for the Cherokee, Mr. Marchionne said they still needed a larger market share, but that he thought they could achieve it.

“There’s a brand new lineup of products coming out of Alfa Romeo that you will see in 2015.” These will be sold from Alfa Romeo dealerships.

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 Old 01-13-2014, 09:39 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Interesting to see what happens.

, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #3 of 50 Old 01-13-2014, 10:00 AM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to kaptkrappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdemonto View Post
From our sweater clad friend at the top!

http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php...ngler-and-alfa

"To redesign the Wrangler is the riskiest thing you could do… if you’re talking about stubstantially upgrading the Wrangler… yes.” So said Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne at today’s “executive briefing,” webcast live from Cobo Hall in Detroit.

There have been debates over the knockdown windshield and removable door. “I don’t know how many people who own Wranglers have ever done that.” Still, Jeep can’t remove those attributes, even though the vehicle must be lightened and the powertrain must be updated. “You can update it, but you can’t change it.”

Full implementation is less than 24 months away. Volume is a problem, especially since the company has committed to not making Wranglers (for North America) outside of Toledo.

As for the Cherokee, Mr. Marchionne said they still needed a larger market share, but that he thought they could achieve it.

“There’s a brand new lineup of products coming out of Alfa Romeo that you will see in 2015.” These will be sold from Alfa Romeo dealerships."

I like some of this statement.

Fold down windshield = Whatever to me. Even with my '77 CJ it was only 2 knobs and down, I think I only put it down twice and that was just to see what it was like.

Removable doors = Must Have !!!

It's great to read they are committed to keeping production of the Wrangler in Toledo.

2011 JK SPORT
2014 Hemi Compass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASSFROW View Post
That's Daffy, not Donald you dillweed. Get your meat wackin' ducks straight!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 50 Old 01-13-2014, 10:06 AM
JKO Addict!

Agreed with Krappy.

I don't care about folding down the windshield and I more than likely never will.
But if you don't have the option taking off the doors, just end the Wrangler name with the JK.

2012 Jeep Wrangler - Gecko
3.5" Rock Krawler X Factor
40x13.5 Nitto Mud Grapplers / 17" Fuel Hostage
Poison Spyder Brawler Lite / Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers
Poison Spyder RockBrawler w/ Tire Carrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
and yet... canada still sucks worse

we'd make fun of your prime minister if we could... unfortunately nobody's ever heard of him!
post #5 of 50 Old 01-13-2014, 10:12 AM
Granite Guru

I folded down the windshield on my YJ all the time, but it was easy to do. Once I put a full cage in it and removed the upper tie-in all I had to do was remove 2 knobs on the dash side and push it down.

With the JK there is a lot more work and I'm not sure I'll ever do it on a regular basis. Still, wheeling with the windshield down is great. The extra airflow is a very nice thing to have. I'll probably do it from time to time just because I can, and just to justify Jeep keeping it possible.

Americans can sleep peaceably at night because US Soldiers stand ready to fight on their behalf

2008 Unlimited Rubicon: 37's, 3" Synergy Springs, Artec trusses, 5.38's, Winch, PSC/Poly Cage, Bumpers, TNT Alum belly skids, and other doodads
post #6 of 50 Old 01-13-2014, 11:48 AM
Rock God

I could not care any less about the fold down windshield. I'd rather keep the elements and hazards out of my face. So in this reguard, The could keep or toss the fold down windshield. As to the doors and top, that's what makes a wrangler really a wrangler. Better not drop those!
post #7 of 50 Old 01-13-2014, 11:53 AM
Rock God

A JKU weighs around 4,300lbs... How much more weight do they plan on shaving off?

“Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.” - Jeremy Clarkson
post #8 of 50 Old 01-13-2014, 11:55 AM
Granite Guru

The only issue i see with eliminating a folding window, is possibly no mounting area for brackets.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #9 of 50 Old 01-13-2014, 12:08 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by halo216 View Post
The only issue i see with eliminating a folding window, is possibly no mounting area for brackets.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Nutserts FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #10 of 50 Old 01-13-2014, 01:02 PM
Wheeler

Interesting. I agree, if they get rid of removable doors, it's no longer a wrangler.

I took the windshield down a fair amount with my first YJ, but that was probably because I was 16 and had no desire to be comfortable. Still is nice to have the option though.
post #11 of 50 Old 01-13-2014, 01:29 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

How can you shoot and drive at the same time without a fold down windshield? I predicted they'd lose it when the '11 came out.

I wonder just how much weight they are looking to cut. There isn't a lot to spare. The fucking sheet metal is paper thin now.

They need to kill the Wrangler and create a CJ knock off with a unibody and IFS in hardtop only.

Just think what our CJ's, YJ's, TJ's, and JK's will be worth then!

, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #12 of 50 Old 01-13-2014, 03:13 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike View Post
How can you shoot and drive at the same time without a fold down windshield? I predicted they'd lose it when the '11 came out.

I wonder just how much weight they are looking to cut. There isn't a lot to spare. The fucking sheet metal is paper thin now.

They need to kill the Wrangler and create a CJ knock off with a unibody and IFS in hardtop only.

Just think what our CJ's, YJ's, TJ's, and JK's will be worth then!
Shoot through the windshield, obviously.

2012 Jeep Wrangler - Gecko
3.5" Rock Krawler X Factor
40x13.5 Nitto Mud Grapplers / 17" Fuel Hostage
Poison Spyder Brawler Lite / Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers
Poison Spyder RockBrawler w/ Tire Carrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
and yet... canada still sucks worse

we'd make fun of your prime minister if we could... unfortunately nobody's ever heard of him!
post #13 of 50 Old 01-15-2014, 07:32 AM
Wheeler

The fold down windshield IS part of Jeep. It would be a real bitch to take it off for wheeling if it doesn't have hinges. Trees here eat windshield frames.
post #14 of 50 Old 01-15-2014, 08:04 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike View Post
Maybe they'll do what Ford just announced they're going to do with the 2015 F150. An all aluminum body, which cut 700 lbs off of the truck. (kind of doubt Fiat would ever do that)

Seriously, I don't think Fiat gets the point of the Wrangler. Do they really think a fold down windshield is tops on our list of wants? Most of us could care less about a fold down windshield. Off road capability, simple reliable design that isn't over burdened with electronic nannys, and reliability, is what I want in a Wrangler.
post #15 of 50 Old 01-15-2014, 08:25 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOPWR2U View Post
Maybe they'll do what Ford just announced they're going to do with the 2015 F150. An all aluminum body, which cut 700 lbs off of the truck. (kind of doubt Fiat would ever do that)

Seriously, I don't think Fiat gets the point of the Wrangler. Do they really think a fold down windshield is tops on our list of wants? Most of us could care less about a fold down windshield. Off road capability, simple reliable design that isn't over burdened with electronic nannys, and reliability, is what I want in a Wrangler.

couldn't agree more. kind of hoping the aluminum body is in the wranglers future.
post #16 of 50 Old 01-15-2014, 09:12 AM
CalmerThanYouAre

No mention of a diesel yet.

I support the military, fiscal responsibility, Hemp, legalization of Marijuana over 21, smaller government and the Bill of Rights.

NSA: The only part of the government that actually listens.
post #17 of 50 Old 01-15-2014, 09:14 AM
A JKO DICK

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOPWR2U View Post

LOL and some day we might get all that. Can you say CANBUS, TPMS, TIPM, ESP, BAS, E-locker, Smartbar. I sure can. I have a really hard time saying reliability though.

I can deal with electrical nannys, but more power and reliability would sure be nice. Oh yeah and manual hubs!!!! or even power locking hubs.

How would doing away with the folding winshield and removable doors save weight. They could work on the aero a bit though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
What is wrong with stupid people? Never mind
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
If I'm gonna kiss a man, I want it to be hard and rough... not gay!
post #18 of 50 Old 01-15-2014, 09:36 AM
Jeepineer

Garage

Quote:
Oh yeah and manual hubs!!!! or even power locking hubs.
Yes. If they've got such a hardon over getting better milage out of the new wranglers, put some lockouts on the front axle and cut down the rotating mass. The offroad community would love them for it, but the soccer moms might not like having to lose "shift on the fly" 4wd.

-Mike
2007 2dr X, 6sp, 35's on D44's, 2" lift, cage, hydro, etc.
post #19 of 50 Old 01-15-2014, 09:38 AM
A JKO DICK

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKred07 View Post
Yes. If they've got such a hardon over getting better milage out of the new wranglers, put some lockouts on the front axle and cut down the rotating mass. The offroad community would love them for it, but the soccer moms might not like having to lose "shift on the fly" 4wd.
Other than my Bronco II I haven't had a 4wd without freewheeling autolocking hubs besides the JK.

Everyone else does it why not Jeep?

Quote:
Quote:
post #20 of 50 Old 01-15-2014, 09:44 AM
Jeepineer

Garage

Quote:
Other than my Bronco II I haven't had a 4wd without freewheeling autolocking hubs besides the JK.

Everyone else does it why not Jeep?
Unit bearings are cheaper, and probably lighter. Most of the new 1/2ton trucks are unit bearing.

-Mike
2007 2dr X, 6sp, 35's on D44's, 2" lift, cage, hydro, etc.
post #21 of 50 Old 01-15-2014, 10:12 AM
A JKO DICK

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKred07 View Post
Unit bearings are cheaper, and probably lighter. Most of the new 1/2ton trucks are unit bearing.
But they still have autolocking hubs that freewheel in two wheel drive and lock in four wheel drive.

Quote:
Quote:
post #22 of 50 Old 01-15-2014, 10:22 AM
Granite Guru

Don't mess with the removeable doors, chassis or foldable window!

Hopefully these forums get read by Chrysler social media folks.

Chrysler.. I remove my doors every summer! I'm purchasing soft doors for the summer so I can remove my steel doors for the entire summer. I'll only throw the soft doors on if it's raining outside. Please do NOT change this.

Folding the windshield down when going to a drive in movie with my girl is great. I can imagine folding windows can come in handy when hunting.. LOL. if anything I'd like it so that I wouldn't have to remove so much interior parts from the A frame.
The windshield should fold right down like the original design.

Also don't change the tub and chassis design. You need a full chassis for the trails.
If I drive anything else I'm going to crack my windshield LOL
post #23 of 50 Old 01-15-2014, 10:43 AM
Rock God

fold down windshield to me... meh. do not care.

dont take away my doors though.
post #24 of 50 Old 01-15-2014, 12:06 PM
Wheeler

Those vacuum auto-lock hubs SUCK and are horribly fail prone. Don't throw away a good unit-bearing for that garbage. The F150 is notorious for problems, so much that the supplier is backordered all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damon.l View Post
fold down windshield to me... meh. do not care.

dont take away my doors though.
You don't put your windshield down (or take off) to wheel? This baffles me how anyone could keep one straight!
post #25 of 50 Old 01-15-2014, 12:49 PM
A JKO DICK

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan58 View Post
Those vacuum auto-lock hubs SUCK and are horribly fail prone. Don't throw away a good unit-bearing for that garbage. The F150 is notorious for problems, so much that the supplier is backordered all the time.

You don't put your windshield down (or take off) to wheel? This baffles me how anyone could keep one straight!
I have an 05 F150 with 90k miles and have never had a problem. I didn't even upgrade to the new shrouded actuator until last fall. I only replaced it, because I thought I was having a problem with the IWIF, but it wasn't a maintenance issue at all. I checked on all of the parts at that time and everything was available from tons of places. They fail after a long time just like everything else and why does everyone keep saying to keep the unit bearing? The F150 uses unit bearings.

Quote:
Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode