'13 JK Rubicon Locking Differentials - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 01-11-2014, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

'13 JK Rubicon Locking Differentials

Does anyone know if the Dana 44 Rear Axle from a JK Rubicon is the same from a JK Sport?

I was told by a local shop that the splines are different between the two. Is this true?

What I'd like to do is to swap the Rear Electric Locker from my Rubicon to a Limited Slip, while keeping the Front Locker.

As it stands now, the Rear Locker can only be used in 4 Low. I want something that can be used in 2 Hi, as well as 4 Hi, for the highway in ice and snowy conditions, while still having the Front Locker for the most extreme conditions offroad, in 4 Low.

If there isn't, is there a way to wire the Locker Switches so that they will operate in 4 Hi, as well as 4 Low?

Thanks

'14 JKU Willys 23K Package; 6 Spd M/T; Billet Silver Metallic w/Black Hardtop; Black Cloth Interior; Uconnect 430 CD/DVD/MP3/HDD, Trac-Lok Rear Differential, 3.73 Axle Ratio, Performance Suspension (Rubicon), Rock Rails (Rubicon), Max Tow Package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-11-2014, 01:01 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Do the locker bypass switch

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2212

River City Offroad
Metal Cloak
post #3 of 19 Old 01-11-2014, 07:20 PM
Wheeler

Garage

The rear locker is a limited slip when not engaged.

2014 JKURx
35" Nitto Ridge Grapplers
2 M - KG4ZFC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 01-11-2014, 07:28 PM
Rock God

Garage

To answer your question.. No, I do not believe they are the same.

a.k.a. Christian - 2011 Black Jeep Wrangler JKU Rubicon
37" MTRK, RK 3.5 X-Factor (3-Link Rear) and other stuff..
Owner/Manager -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and other Web Properties

post #5 of 19 Old 01-11-2014, 07:30 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHack View Post
Does anyone know if the Dana 44 Rear Axle from a JK Rubicon is the same from a JK Sport?

I was told by a local shop that the splines are different between the two. Is this true?

Thanks
True. Rubicon rear axle shafts are also different lengths, whereas non-rubicon rear D44s are equal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapasJP View Post

Perhaps ESP/Brake-lock engaging, but the factory e-lockers are both open axles when not engaged.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #6 of 19 Old 01-11-2014, 09:29 PM
JKO Addict!

I believe the stock Rubi rear axle is a 35 spline, while the non-Rubi rear is a 32 spline.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
post #7 of 19 Old 01-11-2014, 09:57 PM
JKO Addict!

Rubi rear is 32 spiine, the non-Rubi rear is 30 spline. FWIW, ARB is 35 spline for both front & rear.

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.
post #8 of 19 Old 01-11-2014, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks everyone.

I'll look into the by-pass switch, which I'm not too keen on doing.
post #9 of 19 Old 01-12-2014, 02:06 AM
Wheeler

Most of the tuners now have the ability to lock the diffs as well

I'm not sick - I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.
post #10 of 19 Old 01-12-2014, 04:28 AM
Wheeler

Garage

This is the other available system for the Wrangler that made a big splash with the introduction of the Rubicon Wrangler and, later, the Rubicon Unlimited. It features a 4:1 reduction in the transfer case and Tru-Lok locking differentials. The transfer case's 4:1 low range enables more control in technical off-road situations. The low-pressure, air-locked Tru-Lok differentials allow the driver to lock the front and rear axles from a switch on the dashboard, a first for Jeep vehicles.

Rock-Trac includes a Dana 44 front solid axle with a Tru-Lok locking differential and 4.10 gears, choice of an automatic or manual transmission, a heavy-duty transfer case (comparable to some pickup trucks with the only difference being a 4:1 low range), and a rear Dana 44 solid axle with 4.10 gears and Tru-Lok locking differential.

[B]While both front and rear differentials are called Tru-Lok, only the rear functions as a limited slip when not in the locked position.[/B]

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/tr...p-4wd-systems/

2014 JKURx
35" Nitto Ridge Grapplers
2 M - KG4ZFC
post #11 of 19 Old 01-12-2014, 04:49 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:

[B]While both front and rear differentials are called Tru-Lok, only the rear functions as a limited slip when not in the locked position.[/B]

Having almost never allowed the traction control to operate on my JK and having lots of time spent on dirt, I can assure you that since new, my rear differential has never acted like a limited slip of any sort.

I believe the TJ axles had a LSD when not locked, but with the implementation of the BLD, that's probably not necessary on a JK and a waste of money.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #12 of 19 Old 01-12-2014, 06:05 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
Having almost never allowed the traction control to operate on my JK and having lots of time spent on dirt, I can assure you that since new, my rear differential has never acted like a limited slip of any sort.

I believe the TJ axles had a LSD when not locked, but with the implementation of the BLD, that's probably not necessary on a JK and a waste of money.
X2 on the tj/ Lj rear diffs acting as a limited slip.

Gohack, are you sure you want a locked rear end on ice? The gov loc in my 2wd Chevy winter truck has sent me spinning more times than I care to recollect. It's great in low speed situations where extra traction is needed from stops and such, but not the best thing to have when turning or cruising on ice. I would rather have one wheel spin because I hit a slick spot than my entire vehicle because the opposing wheel sent me sideways.
post #13 of 19 Old 01-12-2014, 06:42 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK66 View Post
Rubi rear is 32 spiine, the non-Rubi rear is 30 spline. FWIW, ARB is 35 spline for both front & rear.
Yup, this is correct....I didn't remember correctly.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
post #14 of 19 Old 01-12-2014, 02:21 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:

Correct, the TJ Rubicon had an LSD/Locker combo in the rear. Unfortunately, although being a good concept, they were a weak link, because the spider gears and everything had to be smaller in order to fit the LSD clutches beside the carrier. A popular solution is to take a TJ Rubicon front locker and swap it into the rear axle assembly, since it is a more conventional open/spool type of selectable locker.

Quote:
The low-pressure, air-locked Tru-Lok differentials allow the driver to lock the front and rear axles from a switch on the dashboard, a first for Jeep vehicles.

If you followed strictly what you read in that article, I suppose my JK Rubicon also has pneumatic lockers.... your source is talking about the TJ Rubicon. JK's are a whole different animal

2011 Sahara Tan 2dr Rubicon
Rock Krawler Stock Mod w/ Fox Evolution 2.0's - 36 X 12.5 X 15" Interco TSL's on Black Steel wheels - Rock Krawler track bars front and back - Poison Spyder Customs BFH front bumper w/ Brawler bar - Warn HS9500i winch w/ synthetic rope - Trail Head Deflators - Viair 440P Compressor Instagram: jeepethan

Last edited by 2Door; 01-12-2014 at 02:25 PM.
post #15 of 19 Old 01-12-2014, 02:35 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Door View Post

If you followed strictly what you read in that article, I suppose my JK Rubicon also has pneumatic lockers.... your source is talking about the TJ Rubicon. JK's are a whole different animal
Quote:
You guys are getting carried away with details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Killing kids is a disgrace, i don't care how little they are.

post #16 of 19 Old 01-12-2014, 02:39 PM
Rock God

Garage

The devil is in the details. In this case, it just happened to be a different generation of wrangler that was the devil

Figured I should answer the actual question that was asked too...to the OP, you'll hate the locker in ice. Especially on the highway. I would also say that it would screw with the traction control and make the Jeep very unpredictable. Although an LSD would be a good route, in my experience with mine in the snow, (2 door) is that with the traction control enabled the Jeep is pretty damn stable and confidence inspiring. Really, the traction control is so intuitive that you barely have to be familiar with driving in the snow to get to where you want to go safely.

For the cost of buying a new diff (carrier and LSD) it would be cheaper to get an aftermarket tuner to be able to lock the differentials in high when you need to. I would NOT recommend running them at any speed in icey or snowing conditions, but rather if you get enough snow that your stuck in the street and need a little wheelspin to get yourself out. Or off road in snow where wheelspeed can be an asset.

2011 Sahara Tan 2dr Rubicon
Rock Krawler Stock Mod w/ Fox Evolution 2.0's - 36 X 12.5 X 15" Interco TSL's on Black Steel wheels - Rock Krawler track bars front and back - Poison Spyder Customs BFH front bumper w/ Brawler bar - Warn HS9500i winch w/ synthetic rope - Trail Head Deflators - Viair 440P Compressor Instagram: jeepethan

Last edited by 2Door; 01-12-2014 at 02:50 PM.
post #17 of 19 Old 01-12-2014, 05:17 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Nope it is an open diff when unlocked. Esc aside jack it up and spin one tire by hand the other tire rotates the opposite direction indicating an open differential.
post #18 of 19 Old 01-12-2014, 10:50 PM
Wheeler

That ESC will have your ass stuck if you get into any deep stuff. As soon as the vehicle starts swapping back and forth it will apply the front brakes to counter slowing you down and will kill all your momentum and then there you sit. Although it gives me peace of mind if my daughter is driving it as it works very well in normal situations but get into some shit and you'll be screwed.
post #19 of 19 Old 01-13-2014, 09:53 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrawford View Post
X2 on the tj/ Lj rear diffs acting as a limited slip.

Gohack, are you sure you want a locked rear end on ice? The gov loc in my 2wd Chevy winter truck has sent me spinning more times than I care to recollect. It's great in low speed situations where extra traction is needed from stops and such, but not the best thing to have when turning or cruising on ice. I would rather have one wheel spin because I hit a slick spot than my entire vehicle because the opposing wheel sent me sideways.
I agree with this assessment. A locker is NOT something you want to engage while driving on the road with snow/ice. You will oversteer like crazy going around corners. I hardwired my lockers to switches so I can run the locker in 2wd if necessary, but most cases where I want the locker on I am slow crawling and 2HI with a locker abuses the tranny in these situations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode