Narrow or full width fenders - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 Old 01-09-2014, 06:39 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Question Narrow or full width fenders

Guys I have the 3.5" gamechanger lift and 37" nitto trail grapplers. I need to remove the stock fenders as I am getting into them badly not even at full stuff.

I am looking at either the narrow PSC fenders or the genright full width. Does anyone have any recommendations or advise? I am thinking the narrows will give me more clearance and room to stuff the tires.

Any real world experience?

1997 TJ --SOLD
1999 TJ --SOLD
2001 TJ --SOLD
2007 JK Unlmited Rubicon --SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 JKUR Billet Silver-- SOLD
2016 JKUR White --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 01-09-2014, 06:44 AM
Rock God

Metal cloak recommends their own fenders for their game changer kit because of this. I think the Smittybilt XRC fenders will also work, but Metal Cloak was unsure when i asked a while back

http://www.smittybilt.com/product/index/138.htm

http://www.metalcloak.com/JK-Wrangle...rmor-s/253.htm
post #3 of 40 Old 01-09-2014, 06:45 AM
Granite Guru

I would go with the narrow if you could, i wish i could have. I don't know if it would give you more room for flex. I just ordered poison spyder full width aluminum on sunday still waiting to ship. If you are looking for more room you might want to look at metalcloak .

2011 Rubicon-2 door- 35" Trail Grappler-2.5" tera flex-Stubby Schrockworks-20" led bar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 Old 01-09-2014, 08:50 AM
Made in the U.S.A.

Garage

The disadvantage to really narrow is flares is more water/mud/debris ends up on the side of your Jeep or inside if you're running doorless:

GenRight Aluminum fenders:

GenRight Off-Road - Genuine Ideas Engineered Right
4535 Runway Street, Simi Valley, California 93063
805-584-8635

/
/
/
/

post #5 of 40 Old 01-09-2014, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I like metalcloak front fenders but they cost to much, their rear fenders (in my opinion) are ugly.

Anyone have some narrows installed and love in southeast that can speak to the mud and junk issues genright pointed out.

Thanks in advance for help

BTw, I am ordering the genright rock sliders (steel)

1997 TJ --SOLD
1999 TJ --SOLD
2001 TJ --SOLD

2016 JKUR White --
post #6 of 40 Old 01-09-2014, 10:07 AM
JKO Addict!

Dirt will get flung up onto the body regardless by the portion of the tire that is below the coverage of the fender so although a wider fender may make the JK a little cleaner, it will still be dirty so Genright has a mute point.

post #7 of 40 Old 01-09-2014, 10:11 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Just save the coin and get the ACE fenders. I got their slim fenders and yes it throws mud and rocks up but I like the look of them and you can't beat the price.

Genrights are 1200.00
MetalCloak is 1000.00

ACE is 685.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #8 of 40 Old 01-09-2014, 10:13 AM
Made in the U.S.A.

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
Dirt will get flung up onto the body regardless by the portion of the tire that is below the coverage of the fender so although a wider fender may make the JK a little cleaner, it will still be dirty so Genright has a mute point.
I think the difference in our opinions is less than it appears, but I live in the southeast US, where it is always wet and muddy. Yes, your Jeep will egt dirty with no flares, narrow flares or full width flares.

Alasha, I'm not sure Colorado has the same issues with water and mud getting in with the doors off that we do here.

OP, it just depends on where you live, where you wheel and how particular you are.

By no means is my point moot though.

GenRight Off-Road - Genuine Ideas Engineered Right
4535 Runway Street, Simi Valley, California 93063
805-584-8635

/
/
/
/

post #9 of 40 Old 01-09-2014, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Genright, I used to live in Colorado and now live in southern middle TNand mid and much is no laughing matter.

I don't care about the body getting dirty, but hate getting a face full with the doors off.

Genright can you make me a deal on the fenders and sliders? I could even represent with stickers and detailed write-up.

1997 TJ --SOLD
1999 TJ --SOLD
2001 TJ --SOLD

2016 JKUR White --
post #10 of 40 Old 01-09-2014, 10:20 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenRight Off Road View Post
I think the difference in our opinions is less than it appears, but I live in the southeast US, where it is always wet and muddy. Yes, your Jeep will egt dirty with no flares, narrow flares or full width flares.

Alasha, I'm not sure Colorado has the same issues with water and mud getting in with the doors off that we do here.

OP, it just depends on where you live, where you wheel and how particular you are.

By no means is my point moot though.
As you mentioned, dirt will get in regardless. The only thing flare width will effect then is the rate at which dirt is getting it. 5 min of wheeling and it wont matter how much coverage you have or not, the inside will be dirty.

How is not a mute point then?

post #11 of 40 Old 01-09-2014, 10:38 AM
Rock God

U also need to check if the state has any fender laws.. some states u cant have ur tires stick out past the fenders!!

07 JK Unlimited X- mildly modified

post #12 of 40 Old 01-09-2014, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERMAN View Post
U also need to check if the state has any fender laws.. some states u cant have ur tires stick out past the fenders!!
TN has no such laws... :-)

1997 TJ --SOLD
1999 TJ --SOLD
2001 TJ --SOLD

2016 JKUR White --
post #13 of 40 Old 01-09-2014, 01:10 PM
Granite Guru

There are at least no enforced laws for fenders in NC. I choose to run wider than stock fenders because I've been hit by rocks thrown by my tires too often with my hand hanging out the door.

I don't mean hit the jeep, I mean taking a rock large enough to be carried by a MTR to the back of the hand when driving at 35mph on a crushed rock road.
post #14 of 40 Old 01-09-2014, 01:13 PM
Rock God

Garage

x2 on the ACE flares (narrow for me). Under $700 for all 4, they come finished in powder coat and a nutsert tool if I am not mistaken.

-Dan

2008 JK X: Sold
post #15 of 40 Old 01-09-2014, 02:12 PM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_M View Post
x2 on the ACE flares (narrow for me). Under $700 for all 4, they come finished in powder coat and a nutsert tool if I am not mistaken.

-Dan
You are not mistaken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #16 of 40 Old 01-09-2014, 03:15 PM
Granite Guru

It absolutely matters how wide or narrow your flares are. Genright is 100% correct on that. If you want to test it out for yourself, take your stock fendered jeep run it through mud. Stop remove your fender flares. Drive back through the same spot. Tell me it doesn't matter one more time.
post #17 of 40 Old 01-09-2014, 03:21 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine01 View Post
TN has no such laws... :-)
In TN as long as you have 1 head light and 1 tail light that works and half a windsheild your good to go....LOL
I live in notheast TN....
post #18 of 40 Old 01-09-2014, 03:34 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsbmg View Post
It absolutely matters how wide or narrow your flares are. Genright is 100% correct on that. If you want to test it out for yourself, take your stock fendered jeep run it through mud. Stop remove your fender flares. Drive back through the same spot. Tell me it doesn't matter one more time.
I have run mine with stock fenders, no fenders, and cut fenders. If you have your doors off you will get dirty regardless which is the example Genright used.

post #19 of 40 Old 01-09-2014, 04:07 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
I have run mine with stock fenders, no fenders, and cut fenders. If you have your doors off you will get dirty regardless which is the example Genright used.
Right but the difference between a properly fendered wheel and an exposed wheel is night and day. I like the look of the narrow fenders for sure but completey spraying the inside of your jeep with mud sucks. If you have a beater you could care less about THEN it is a moot point.
post #20 of 40 Old 01-09-2014, 04:18 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Right but the difference between a properly fendered wheel and an exposed wheel is night and day. I like the look of the narrow fenders for sure but completey spraying the inside of your jeep with mud sucks. If you have a beater you could care less about THEN it is a moot point.
Yes, but unless you are running stock tires they will be sticking out even past the genright's and you will still be sprayed with shit.
post #21 of 40 Old 01-09-2014, 04:21 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastrana#199 View Post
Yes, but unless you are running stock tires they will be sticking out even past the genright's and you will still be sprayed with shit.
If I'm going to get sprayed with shit, I will take as little of it as possible.
post #22 of 40 Old 01-09-2014, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
If I'm going to get sprayed with shit, I will take as little of it as possible.
Can't argue this logic... I believe I am going with full width.

1997 TJ --SOLD
1999 TJ --SOLD
2001 TJ --SOLD

2016 JKUR White --
post #23 of 40 Old 01-09-2014, 08:01 PM
Wheeler

You need to look at how the fenders are mounted if you need max clearance. With the Metalcloak fenders you remove the stock fender mount tab that sticks out when your plastic fender is removed, this allows the fender to be mounted higher up than most others on the market. I'm not sure how many other fenders do this or use that mounting tab to remount their aftermarket fenders. Another nice thing with the MC is you can remove them if you need them narrow.
post #24 of 40 Old 01-09-2014, 08:01 PM
V8 dreams

I was able to get mud inside the jeep with 4.75bs wheels and stock flares, as well as with 3.5bs and psc flares. So I say buy which one you like best

2010 Silver JKU
post #25 of 40 Old 01-09-2014, 08:02 PM
Rock God

I'm on the wider the better side. Every little bit helps when you have the doors and the top off. I avoid the mud as much as possible but sometimes I still end up spending way too much time cleaning that crap out after a trip.

2007 Rubi Unlimited. Teraflex 2.5 lift + Fox shocks, Nitto Trail Grappler 35s on XD Addicts, 5.38s, Ten Factory rear shafts, Riddler diff covers, Purejeep front axle truss and Teraflex gussets, Tatton front driveline, Rugged Ridge Modular front bumper with XRC8 Comp winch, Superchips programmer, Volant intake, MBRP exhaust, Hella H4 headlight conversion, Body Armor "not so Extreme" Rock Rails, in-cab winch control,Best Top Trek Top.-Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode