Considering Linex interior - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 01-08-2014, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Considering Linex interior

I have Linex in my scout and love it. Tired of wet carpet in down pours, thinking about pulling my carpets out. My concern is the stuff they put on the floorboards that looks like goop. Any one linex? What did you do with the material paint over it? if you removed it how?
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-08-2014, 08:14 AM
Wheeler

In for the info....wet carpets are pissing me off.
post #3 of 17 Old 01-08-2014, 08:22 AM
Granite Guru

It's just comes off. It goes pretty quick with a air chisel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 01-08-2014, 10:21 AM
Wheeler

I peeled it all off the cargo area and passenger side using a wood chisel. It was ~90 degrees the day that I did it so I didn't need a heat gun. Sprayed over it in the driver's footwell. I find it adds a little more insulation from the heat. If rust is a concern, I'd peel it all off. I found lots of water, dirt, and debris under the spots that I peeled.

**Edit** I used raptor liner. Application was easy and it's holding up quite well.
post #5 of 17 Old 01-08-2014, 10:46 AM
Granite Guru

Hello. My name is Randall. I have wet carpet too.

Any pics and likes or dislikes with raptor line, we just got a raptor vendor in town and I haven't heard anything about them yet?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #6 of 17 Old 01-08-2014, 02:21 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacnvr2l8 View Post
I have Linex in my scout and love it. Tired of wet carpet in down pours, thinking about pulling my carpets out. My concern is the stuff they put on the floorboards that looks like goop. Any one linex? What did you do with the material paint over it? if you removed it how?
I made the mistake of verbally asking my LineX guy to remove it . . never got passed down and now I'm stuck with it like that. Normally it's fine as it is under some weathertech mats but it collects dirt like a bitch.

Moral of the story. Take the time and get it off yourself. . . also, tape the line where YOU want it, I had them LineX over the lip and taped a line on the door where I liked . . . came out cleaner than the others I have seen that they masked off.

>> Oh, and tape the wires so they don't permanently spray them in

2009, 2 Door X, Rancho 4" Sport Lift w/ 9000xl shocks, 35" Firestone Destination MTR on Spidertrax spacers Bulldog Front Bumper w/XRC8 Winch, LoD Rear Bumper, FinishLineWest Rock Sliders, 5.13 G2's, ARB Rear diff cover, LineX'd tub, JL Clean Sweep, JL 900/5 Amp, JL C5 components in front, JL Marine MX-770's in soundbar, JL FS-110 Marine sub, Tuffy security deck, HID's in Cibie's, Piaa 520s
jk-forum, jk-forum.com jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler
post #7 of 17 Old 01-08-2014, 06:37 PM
Wheeler

I love my line-x. Definitely remove the sound insulation crap. Ive heard you can melt it off with a torch, or chip it off with dry ice and a hammer as well.
post #8 of 17 Old 01-08-2014, 06:42 PM
Rock God

Garage

I used 4 36 grit flap discs to take up the sound deadening. Took about 6 hours of prep, I got real anal cleaning up everything. I used rustoleum 2 part truck bed liner from tractor supply. $99 and was enough for 3 heavy coats on my jku. Really like the outcome

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Eat Liquid Gold"

Last edited by NascarRubicon; 10-07-2014 at 05:01 PM.
post #9 of 17 Old 01-08-2014, 07:14 PM
Rock God

quick tip....score the sound deadening crap with a utility knife real good.....leave drain plugs in and fill tub with water enough to cover the "crap"....let soak for a couple of hours then use a wood chisel and scraper and it comes off real easy.

post #10 of 17 Old 01-09-2014, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Great advice and pointers guys Thanks A lot
post #11 of 17 Old 01-10-2014, 05:32 PM
Wheeler

Get a harbor freight oscillating tool for $30 and use the scraper attachment. For stubborn areas use a plumbers torch to heat the goop, then scrape. Touch up any bare metal with a self etching primer prior to the bed liner. I used the U-pol Raptor spray bed liner on my Jeeps and love it.

color="Red">Custom Paracord Grab Handles
Custom Wrangler iPad Stereo Dash Mounts for sale (11-14)
post #12 of 17 Old 08-13-2014, 05:01 PM
Granite Guru

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Rubicon OIF 09

This is all great info! I have an appointment at the Linex dealer near me in 3 weeks. He wants me there with him helping which I am pumped about. He said that way if he has any questions I'll be right there and it will be done exactly the way I want. I was wondering about the sound material as well. Good to know you can remove it entirely.

2014 Unlimited Rubicon X in Bright White!
3.5 Rock Krawler X factor lift, Truck Light headlights, a couple Rigged Industries light bars and Nitto Mud Grapples 37x13.50R17 on KMC Rockstar II's, Uniden Bearcat CB, RIPP Supercharger, Smitty BUilt 10k wireless winch with synthetic line, LUX Rock Lites, Rancho 9000 shocks, Crawler Concepts front bumper sprayed with Line-X, Grab Bars on the interior, with all Kicker Speakers including the kicker hide away sub in addition to the factory sub

post #13 of 17 Old 08-13-2014, 05:48 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Be prepared for a lot more heat at your feet. My tub is rhino lined and I have a lot of heat at my feet, to the point where it can be uncomfortable in the summer.

I like the "lined" tub over carpet but the heat got to me. Just covered it up with BedTred, the heat is now gone

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

post #14 of 17 Old 08-14-2014, 03:55 AM
Granite Guru

I used paint stripper to get the goop up. I used the Raptor liner and like it. The prep is the only pain. The Linex jobs I have seen look great, but I prefer the softer texture I got using Raptor @40 PSI.
post #15 of 17 Old 08-14-2014, 04:32 AM
Granite Guru

The line-x guy removed mine as part of the process. It's not just sound deadening, it's also for heat.

As far as heat, I still use slush mats and that helps but it is definitely warmer in the tub. To keep the slush mats from moving, I removed the retainers for them from the carpeting, cut the thread off the bottoms with a hack saw, and epoxied them directly to the line-x. So you may want to pull them off your carpet before you throw it out.

2014 JK Sport, auto, 35x12.5x17, 3.73s.

I jeep therefore I am.

Last edited by 14Sport; 08-14-2014 at 04:51 AM.
post #16 of 17 Old 08-14-2014, 10:16 AM
CUNT

Location: The Land of the Polite, Where shits covered in Ice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacnvr2l8 View Post
Concentrated Dawn dish soap let soak for 2 days
comes off with a spoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMadole View Post
As previously mentioned, the key step in this process is saturating those whores in piss.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maunder View Post
I just gotta say.. When you're being butt hurt by your fudge packer minions.. how do you decide which one gets to pull the pony tail n who's left to cup the balls.. If there is any..
post #17 of 17 Old 08-14-2014, 11:22 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I left it on there. The back is covered by the security deck and it doesn't look out of place when covered in the front footwells.

I just did a trip from Atlanta to Daytona and back last weekend. No issues with excessive heat.

I do want to find a way to put some mats in the floorboards though. I bought WeatherTech liners when I first got the JKR and there is a 1/4" gap all the way around. Thinking of using some type of rubber strips to take up the slack.

, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode