'13 auto trans extreme cold issue? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 01-07-2014, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

'13 auto trans extreme cold issue?

Live in SE MI and was just blasted with extreme cold/snow (for us). Got a call to pull out a fellow worker before leaving for work. It was -14 with 35mph winds. I busted through 3' drifts and got stuck a couple times but backed up and went forward. When I engaged trans to reverse position it would literally take about 10 seconds for the trans to go into gear and same when I would put in drive. I even pressed the throttle and would just free rev? Once I would get home and thaw out in the garage it works normal. This has done this 3 times now in last couple days, all of which while driving through very deep snow on our unplowed roads. What would cause this? Mind you I was doing some pretty hard wheeling deep snow and crazy cold. Each time i would get home and pop the hood the engine bay would have a considerable amount of snow in there as well around my cold air conical air filter. My Bullydog tuner was reading trans temp at 160 degrees. Anyone else run into this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-07-2014, 11:07 PM
Granite Guru

Trans temp may in fact have been 160.....but maybe at the actual cooler it was way way lower and actually slowing down flow and the trans didn't have enough line pressure to shift properly. .... Idk just a thought

Sent with Autoguide while plotting world domination!

2012 Wrangler Unlimted Sahara SOLD
2012 Toyota 4runner Trail Edition
2in lift,KDSS, 285/70/17 Terragrapplers.
2010 Mustang GT
5spd, glass roof..loaded
SLP Loudmouth axle backs and Roush CAI..wifeys ride.

Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda
With aerodynamics like a barn and the rolling resistance of a tank can only do so well.
post #3 of 12 Old 01-08-2014, 04:04 AM
Wheeler

Was your jeep up to temp or had you just started it? Even though its extremely cold out (im in SW MI), the engine/trans still warm up pretty fast. Add some drift bashing and snow driving, and your trans temps may actually be running higher than normal. A lot of guys have some weird trans issues. Ive had very similar issues to what you describe while playing at the sand dunes. Check this thread out too: https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87306 (read the whole thread, there are 2 or 3 different problems with similar symptoms in it).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 01-08-2014, 05:32 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I have had the same issues a couple times while wheeling. I just let it sit for a second.

River City Offroad
Metal Cloak
post #5 of 12 Old 01-08-2014, 02:24 PM
Wheeler

This happened to me yesterday. It was 3 degrees. Took a few minuted before I could get a gear. I wrote it off to trand and diff fluids being thick as molasses when that cold. Was disconcerning though!
post #6 of 12 Old 01-08-2014, 04:19 PM
Wheeler

4 hi or lo?

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87306

Last edited by mcrawford; 01-08-2014 at 04:22 PM.
post #7 of 12 Old 01-08-2014, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

4 high. It is for sure snow related. I left it it outside today and temps never got above 5. While driving in tonight it was flawless and current temp is 0 so I say it is directly related to being packed with snow so I will write it off as no big deal.
post #8 of 12 Old 01-09-2014, 10:07 AM
Granite Guru

my trans does this sometimes in all weather conditions. Dealer claims the trans is functioning normally but they are idiots who took 4 trips to fix a heated seat so yeah hah
post #9 of 12 Old 01-09-2014, 11:04 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by etl330 View Post
my trans does this sometimes in all weather conditions. Dealer claims the trans is functioning normally but they are idiots who took 4 trips to fix a heated seat so yeah hah
Oh boy... in for the story
post #10 of 12 Old 01-09-2014, 11:12 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratbike1 View Post
Oh boy... in for the story
Hah well first trip they had to order the part, but told me there was a chance it'd be in the next day so I left it overnight. Next day comes and no part but early next week it'll be in. 9 days go by and no word so I call them and the guy checks the tracking. He tells me it'll be in in another four days. I tell him this is ridiculous there was no way it'd have ever been there next day and he's like well to be honest I'm shocked it's coming this fast, I've seen interior parts take as long as 6 months. WHAT?! So I email the Chrysler rep I dealt with when I reached out regarding my joke of a sales experience at 6 Chrysler stores and I heard from the dealer the next day that they had the part in(though I didn't hear from the Chrysler rep for like a week). They call me and I tell them I'm leaving town for two weeks it has to wait. The guy tells me come down it'll be just a few hours blah blah blah. I'm like if you can do it in an hour I'll stop by otherwise it must wait. Yeah okay we can do it fast and get you right in. Show up and no dice they can't get it in right away. I leave and go on my trip. I return from my trip and drop it off. They call me two hours later and tell me that Chrysler sent them the wrong part. I press a little bit and they tell me the part isn't in the catalog blah blah blah. They even went as far as to say that since the truck is so new the parts aren't in the catalog. We are talking about a heated seat on a jku Wrangler, these things have heated seats for years. Not to mention that the truck was a 2013 and it was like October of 2013 so they've been out for a year but whatever. They got it fixed on the next trip but I never got so much as an apology. Luckily this was a dealership in Boston where I was only living temporarily, but my local dealer experiences have not been any better.
post #11 of 12 Old 01-09-2014, 06:08 PM
Rock God

Did you add an aux transfer cooler? This could cause the issue. Up north of the border when we see -40 (C or F, -40 is -40), I've had to install a bypass for my cooler. The fluid just gets too thick.
post #12 of 12 Old 01-09-2014, 10:16 PM
Rock God

This thread is making my 42RLE look pretty good.
It shifts fine @ -30F, warms up to 80F in less than 3 miles no matter what the outside temp is, and shows no sign the ATF+4 is ever too thick; all with an aux cooler and the mechanical fan constantly pulling air.

2008 Unlimited Rubicon Automatic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode