Where oh were to get the funds - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old 01-06-2014, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Where oh were to get the funds

So my last jeep was before my wife and three kids... Dam things have changed, I have a list a mile long of build stuff but never the money haha. How dose everyone scape there funds for their jeep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 01-06-2014, 05:39 PM
JKO Addict!

- Donate plasma. Twice a week ... could make a couple of hundred bucks a month

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 30 Old 01-06-2014, 05:44 PM
Rock God

Highly correlated to your net worth, interest level, and willingness to blow money on a vehicle. But you ask, how does a person scrape together the funds? Well, I just get my credit card out and swipe it or enter the numbers and when the bill shows in the bank account, I just transfer funds to pay balance.

You could just do what ya wanna do to your jeep and if anyone gives you a hard time about it. Just tell em to "deal with it" and walk off. Course that could lead into a divorce, so, there is that to think about.

2010 JKUR, 4" Pro C., 3/4" f Daystar spacer, 5.38's, EVO sleeve/gusset/custom trussed, Rear Ten Factory axle shafts, 1.5" wheel spacers, Pro C. 17 x 9 wheels, 38 x 14.50 x 17 MTR's, SuperChip FP, no fenders, B&M Tranny cooler, Magnaflow, Fr./ Rr. frame hacked off, HD Balls

29,000 miles as of 12/13/14
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 01-06-2014, 06:48 PM
Granite Guru

My drill checks from the National Guard go into savings for me to use as I see fit and I do side work out of my garage at home. Gear setups, lift kit installs, custom XJ bumpers and the like. So basically I spend most of my weekends working an extra job to fund the jeep.

Americans can sleep peaceably at night because US Soldiers stand ready to fight on their behalf

2008 Unlimited Rubicon: 37's, 3" Synergy Springs, Artec trusses, 5.38's, Winch, PSC/Poly Cage, Bumpers, TNT Alum belly skids, and other doodads
post #5 of 30 Old 01-06-2014, 07:03 PM
Rock God

Organs on black market. It's amazing what people pay for an over used dying liver. I guess it's all in the marketing techniques.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2010 2 door manual sport
post #6 of 30 Old 01-06-2014, 08:06 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
- Donate plasma. Twice a week ... could make a couple of hundred bucks a month
I did this while restoring my Chevy.. Invested my Plasma, Sweat, and time.. Somewhere along the line some red blood as well.

She came out nice was the rare-ish 1987 R10 with dual saddle tanks But I put in a 2006 Vortec 5.3L, 4L60E transmission, kept the fuel injection had custom wiring harness and ECM, Dakota Digital gauge cluster. Then I sold her

$240 bucks a month in plasma can do alot, and in the end you are doing a good thing and helping someone.

Last edited by HAFICON; 01-06-2014 at 08:12 PM.
post #7 of 30 Old 01-06-2014, 08:12 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAFICON View Post
I did this while restoring my Chevy.. Invested my Plasma, Sweat, and time.. Somewhere along the line some red blood as well.

She came out nice put in a 2006 Vortec 5.3L, 4L60E transmission, kept the fuel injection had custom wiring harness and ECM, Dakota Digital gauge cluster. Then I sold her
Nice ride.

I have found just not paying the mortgage buys tons of jeep shit. They ain't gonna kick you out anyway cause they don't want the house.

Originally Posted by van7559
I can bury my pinky in the rear, and just barley feel it, the front is a little easier, but still seems low to me!

I fist fuck life with a nuclear powered pneumatic fuck hammer for 60, 70 hrs a week...
post #8 of 30 Old 01-06-2014, 08:16 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M's View Post
Nice ride.

I have found just not paying the mortgage buys tons of jeep shit. They ain't gonna kick you out anyway cause they don't want the house.

Way off topic here but sorry brought back some suppressed memories.
Audio sucks
1987 Chevy R10 - YouTube

Sorry Op not tiring to thread jack.. But there is nothing wrong with selling Plasma heck I might have to start doing it again to pay for Jeep mods.
post #9 of 30 Old 01-06-2014, 09:50 PM
Granite Guru

To be honest, I didn't do it when I was in your shoes. To much to pay for.Also don't forget everyone make different money.My kids have grown and moved and the house is paid for.I also don't spend everything I make like so many others.I also live somewhere where it's a little cheaper to live. I'm also a hell of alot older than you and have bought and sold 6 houses already. without knowing your age, I,m probably old enough to be your father ! So, just because you talk with diff. people on the net , you really don't know them at all ! Now, not only have I built my JKUR to the hilt, I'm also building another Jeep !
post #10 of 30 Old 01-06-2014, 11:13 PM
JKO Addict!

Get as many as you can with the biggest credit limit, file bankrupt every 8 years.

2012 Jeep Wrangler - Gecko
3.5" Rock Krawler X Factor
40x13.5 Nitto Mud Grapplers / 17" Fuel Hostage
Poison Spyder Brawler Lite / Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers
Poison Spyder RockBrawler w/ Tire Carrier

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
and yet... canada still sucks worse

we'd make fun of your prime minister if we could... unfortunately nobody's ever heard of him!
post #11 of 30 Old 01-07-2014, 04:55 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #12 of 30 Old 01-07-2014, 06:05 AM
JKO Addict!

I buy and sell hookers the money is great if I flip them quick but sometimes I have to sit on them
post #13 of 30 Old 01-07-2014, 06:20 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaker View Post
I buy and sell hookers the money is great if I flip them quick but sometimes I have to sit on them
I usually prefer the hooker to sit on me

2010 2 door manual sport
post #14 of 30 Old 01-07-2014, 06:44 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaker View Post
And that is how we end up with dead hookers on the trails

Last edited by Cavallini03; 01-07-2014 at 06:47 AM.
post #15 of 30 Old 01-07-2014, 06:44 AM
Rock God

^^

To the OP, I'm pretty much in your shoes. Bought and started modding the Jeep before kids = gears, built front D30, winch, tires, lift, front bumper. Then rebuilt rear after some trail carnage, replaced front with a d44.

Then kids... started trading chit and selling my other toys I bought before kids, my gun collection

Anything since kids has been bartered for or sold other stuff to get. Except my Teraflex brake kit (thanks Marcus @ RCO). Since I needed new brakes anyways, I was able to justify them as maintenance.

08 Unlimited: Lift, Wheels, Tires, Winch ... and an ever shrinking bank account
post #16 of 30 Old 01-07-2014, 07:43 AM
A JKO DICK

Garage

Poker baby. I find fish and scale them. Thanks to all the fish for my mods!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
What is wrong with stupid people? Never mind
Quote:
If I'm gonna kiss a man, I want it to be hard and rough... not gay!
post #17 of 30 Old 01-07-2014, 08:13 AM
Cod
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via MSN to Cod

Meth!
post #18 of 30 Old 01-07-2014, 08:17 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

for me it is as simple as scrimp and save. I usually save most of the year for a specific mod, then make it happen once i have the loot. Usually one major mod a year.

last year was replacing my front built D30 with a Heavily built D44 w/OX locker.

This year will be some kind of locker for the rear, prefferably a detroit soft locker.

I think this thing is finally coming together. Still Needed: drive shafts, frame mount rails...then done son! For a while...
post #19 of 30 Old 01-07-2014, 09:05 AM
Probably Stuck on my Diff

One of the reasons I want to build and pay off my Jeep before I get a wife/kids/family.. Priorities..

More Cowbell
post #20 of 30 Old 01-07-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11jeeperdrummer View Post
One of the reasons I want to build and pay off my Jeep before I get a wife/kids/family.. Priorities..
Well there is always this place for you.

Quote:
Quote:
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #21 of 30 Old 01-07-2014, 09:14 AM
Rock God

Pimp out your ole lady. Sell your daughters and put your boys to work. Oh, wait a minute, hold on that sell your daughters, pimp them out as well.

2010 JKUR, 4" Pro C., 3/4" f Daystar spacer, 5.38's, EVO sleeve/gusset/custom trussed, Rear Ten Factory axle shafts, 1.5" wheel spacers, Pro C. 17 x 9 wheels, 38 x 14.50 x 17 MTR's, SuperChip FP, no fenders, B&M Tranny cooler, Magnaflow, Fr./ Rr. frame hacked off, HD Balls

post #22 of 30 Old 01-07-2014, 10:26 AM
Probably Stuck on my Diff

Quote:
Well there is always this place for you.

Shit, thats how I afford my mods in the first place

More Cowbell
post #23 of 30 Old 01-07-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10jk View Post
Pimp out your ole lady. Sell your daughters and put your boys to work. Oh, wait a minute, hold on that sell your daughters, pimp them out as well.
Sooo, when you bringing your ole lady back out west again?

Quote:
Quote:
post #24 of 30 Old 01-07-2014, 10:48 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Sooo, when you bringing your ole lady back out west again?
Ha ha ha , my ole lady,,, I had 3 so far, no shit, I can't keep a woman around. They can't stand me not listenin to them and tellin them to "shut the F up an stop your bitchin". I gave up the marrying thing about 8 years ago and since I've had about 4 young ones (28-34) that thought they were fatten me up for the kill (get married and have kids) and started the ole "Marry me or I'll leave you" thing. I said "Don't let the door hit ya in the ass on the way out"

Jim, I got too much to lose to get married, and I'm too lazy to start all over again. No way in hell would I get married again, especially in today's world.

post #25 of 30 Old 01-07-2014, 06:39 PM
Rock God

Garage

Bought a plain jane CJ-7 back in '85. Was married, but no kids yet. Was in the process of building it and had it pretty close to where I wanted it at the time. But then, there is always more to do that would be "nice."

Then we started having kids. When the 3rd one came in 1995, that was it. The CJ had to go. They wouldn't all fit.

Flash forward to 2007 (12 years without my Jeep!). Now have 4 kids, scattered over a 10 yr. span, and I see the new 4 DOOR Wranglers. Sweet. Go down to the dealer and check one out. Crap! They'll only seat five.

Flash forward again to 2012 (5 MORE years without my Jeep!). 2 of the 4 kids are away at college, on scholarships, etc. Am now making MUCH more money than I was back in the late '80s (like 4 times!). Boom! 2012 JKU Rubicon. And I've been setting priorities ever since.

Two cliches will help you out here: 1) It's never done, and 2) Just Empty Every Pocket. Some people put a lot of money into boats, or other kinds of toys (motorcycles, quads, personal water craft, etc.) Some people spend on entertainment of various descriptions. Others take expensive vacations. It's really all about priorities . . .

. . . and timing. Hard to hear when you really want to forge ahead with the dream build, but maybe it's just not your time yet. If you just can't fit it into your budget, be patient until you can. Don't jeopardize your family and relationships just for the sake of the satisfaction of that next piece on your Jeep. Trust me, that thrill will go away . . . quickly, and it will be on to the next thing. It's an addiction. And most addicts destroy their families. Don't do it.

Oh, and do the work yourself. If you don't know how, learn. And if you have friends, or can make some friends, or join a 4x4 club to help, so much the better. Remember, friends don't let friends pay labor charges. If you don't have facilities or tools, maybe some of them will. And in many places there are businesses now where you can rent space and tools by the hour or by the day to do weekend projects.

EDIT: Also, don't know how old your 3 kids are, but if you have 3 in diapers, WAIT. Just wait. Three kids in diapers will make you wonder how you're going to eat, much less build a Jeep. Fortunately, they WILL get past that. But in the mean time, you're going to wish you had an oil well.

My Build Thread:

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:

Last edited by UnlimiDozer; 01-07-2014 at 06:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode