Ice proofing the rims??? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2014, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Ice proofing the rims???

Is there anything that could be done to rims to keep ice from forming on them? I went wheeling yesterday and spent about hour chiseling ice off my rims after short trip down the freeway I couldn't get over 40mph without shaking the Jeep apart. Name:  ImageUploadedByAG Free1388973448.172246.jpg
Views: 1311
Size:  77.2 KBName:  ImageUploadedByAG Free1388973460.954980.jpg
Views: 1272
Size:  66.1 KB

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2014, 06:23 PM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

There is a number of things that could be done...

1) move to a warmer climate
2) don't use jeep while there is snow on the ground
3) when there is a chance of snow in the forecast, remove all the wheels, keep the jeep on jackstands and brink the wheels inside until they are needed
4) garage jeep til spring or summer
5) maybe try some Pam or other not stick cooking spray and give them a liberal dose prior to inclement weather
6) hire an illegal immigrant to climb under the rig and remove snow and or ice at every stop
7) take off the esp and spin the tires till all snow has been removed my means of centrifugal force
8) reroute exhaust so you have a one into four, with each outlet pointed at the back of the wheel for heat and ice melting
Or...
9) don't worry about it and get some real world problems

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
Old 01-05-2014, 07:30 PM
JKO Addict!

I was going to say get a flame torch but that is taking the easy way out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2014, 07:37 PM
Rock God

Maybe try WD40. Try one first. I would imagine it would keep snow from from sticking.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:42 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeper2008 View Post
Is there anything that could be done to rims to keep ice from forming on them? I went wheeling yesterday and spent about hour chiseling ice off my rims after short trip down the freeway I couldn't get over 40mph without shaking the Jeep apart. Attachment 111729Attachment 111737

I don't have an actual answer, but I feel your pain. Others may joke, but it's genuinely a PITA. I had a Cayenne with this issue and it was awful. The only observation I have is that the rims I had with this issue were very flat on the inside which contributed to the buildup of snow/ice and small stones. I wonder if different wheels would help. In my case it was not much of an option as the choices were limited as to what would fit.

_
'76 CJ-7, '43 CJ-2a, '78 Bronco,'78 CJ-7, '75 CJ-5, '78 CJ-7, '80 CJ-7, '78 SJ, '79 SJ, '78 and a '76 FJ-40 , '90 XJ, '91 XJ, '86 CJ-7, '95 ZJ, '68 CJ-101 Commando, '00 TJ, '68 M-715, 2 '86 Military Blazers, '96 LR Discovery, '86 CJ-7, '91 YJ, '99 TJ, 07' JKU Rubi, 1988 YJ, 1973 Commando, 3 Diesel Excursions....
Now back to a 2013 JKU Rubicon with "stuff", planning 37's with minimal lift.

I've tried them all... Jeeps are still the best. (0||||0)
Old 01-05-2014, 07:56 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by da20captain View Post
Maybe try WD40. Try one first. I would imagine it would keep snow from from sticking.
Keep it off the brake rotors!

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:56 PM
JKO Addict!

To be real how about you cover the wheels that way the wind does not get to them

I am thinking get 4 tarps and cover the wheels for the night and just pull them off before you leave
Old 01-05-2014, 08:07 PM
Rock God

neverwet?

Mike 2010 Rubicon 2DR | RK 3.5 X FACTOR MID ARM | ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 01-05-2014, 08:46 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiZealot View Post
Great idea. Might be worth spraying the insides of the wheel wells/inner fenders just to help keep them clean. I wonder how long this stuff lasts....

_
'76 CJ-7, '43 CJ-2a, '78 Bronco,'78 CJ-7, '75 CJ-5, '78 CJ-7, '80 CJ-7, '78 SJ, '79 SJ, '78 and a '76 FJ-40 , '90 XJ, '91 XJ, '86 CJ-7, '95 ZJ, '68 CJ-101 Commando, '00 TJ, '68 M-715, 2 '86 Military Blazers, '96 LR Discovery, '86 CJ-7, '91 YJ, '99 TJ, 07' JKU Rubi, 1988 YJ, 1973 Commando, 3 Diesel Excursions....

Old 01-05-2014, 09:05 PM
Granite Guru

I've never had in issue with this at all and I grew up in Montana and live in Colorado. Even after winter drifting my S4 through parking lots and completely filling the wheels with snow I never had an issue with it throwing my tires that out of balance.

You guys remind me of the "Mud in your tires" scene in My Cousin Vinny.

Americans can sleep peaceably at night because US Soldiers stand ready to fight on their behalf

2008 Unlimited Rubicon: 37's, 3" Synergy Springs, Artec trusses, 5.38's, Winch, PSC/Poly Cage, Bumpers, TNT Alum belly skids, and other doodads
Old 01-06-2014, 06:58 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

The ice build up isn't from sitting while it snowed or from regular driving. It accumulated through the while out wheeling all day on rocks and some mud/water holes. I've been winter wheeling before but never had this happen. I wasn't the only one either that it happened too. We topped out at 6*f Saturday at Rausch creek. I'm sure this didn't help but ya gotta do what ya gotta do...Name:  ImageUploadedByAG Free1389020141.668811.jpg
Views: 1630
Size:  124.2 KB. Ice at this hole was 5" thick.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:02 AM
Wheeler

I hear ya. Don't have the solution though. I'm in MN. Our high today is something like -14. Its 24 below right now. I was out playing around on Saturday, and I had the same issue.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:17 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
I've never had in issue with this at all and I grew up in Montana and live in Colorado. Even after winter drifting my S4 through parking lots and completely filling the wheels with snow I never had an issue with it throwing my tires that out of balance.

You guys remind me of the "Mud in your tires" scene in My Cousin Vinny.
I once pulled over 2 pounds of "traction aid" stones and grit out of one of my wheels. When I was having this problem it was fine until I'd stop and half of the material would fall to the bottom, making each wheel a pound or so out of balance. 40MPH with all your tires a pound of of balance will shake your eye teeth out. I'd have no choice but to stop and try to clean it out, and then stop again because I didn't get it all. I had a 520HP Porsche Cayenne Turbo S, which was pretty awesome in every other way but this was the main reason I got rid of it.

_

Old 01-06-2014, 12:19 PM
Rock God

NeverWet sounds like it's worth a try but I found nothing about its "green" properties, if that's a concern. Much more, what does it do to tires?
Car wax and Rain-X are other options but require significantly more elbow grease to apply.
Then there's Teflon coated wheels.
According to NeverWet, their product outperforms the aforementioned products by a long shot but I'd be concerned about any chemicals that were superhydrophobic. For one thing, it doesn't like water. I mean, it appears to absolutely hate water!!! That's just not right.

PAM? I wouldn't use it on anything, much less a frying pan.

There is Ballistol...it's like CLP except it's "green". Not a hydrophobic product, it mixes with water, but I imagine it can't be any worse than using WD40. Aerosol or liquid(put the liquid in a spray bottle). It's also safe for other than metal products like leather, rubber, plastic, tires, wood, etc.
Check it out...it's not exactly inexpensive, tho'. If you like it, it's also available in buckets and drums but not from this website.
http://www.ballistol.com/about-us/
Great first-aid anti-septic, too, but our government won't approve its medical use. The medical grade version is overseas only...I think it has pain-killer in it.
Some people can't stand the smell(kinda like licorice) but the odor dissipates shortly after application.
Oh, you wanted a sales pitch?
Spray your fender wells with Ballistol before you get your Jeep muddy. Hell, spray the whole undercarriage!!! It's green and keeps it clean!
I wouldn't be surprised if it returns sun-faded fenders and trim back to black, either.

Seriously, ice-packed wheels suck. Almost anything is better than doing nothing, except dragging your brakes to put heat in the wheels. Don't do that.

Last edited by funfred; 01-06-2014 at 12:22 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:41 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

You guys are a bunch of tool bags! Pretty sad that the guy who has only ever lived in SoCal or the desert knows this shit...

2:1 Ratio of isopropyl rubbing alcohol to water in a spray bottle or for larger applications like yours, a pump sprayer. You can usually get those big bottles of rubbing alcohol at Wally World or the CVS/Walgreens on sale. Probably cost you ten to fifteen bucks to fill up a pump sprayer and would last a while.

http://kk.org/cooltools/archives/5944

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:00 PM
Rock God

What he doesn't know, cuz he lives in a dry, temperate climate, is that alcohol is bad for his windshield seal. Up north, the only alcohol that gets mentioned in the same sentence as rubber comes in bottles with classy labels.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:04 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Yeah, but he's going to use it on his wheels, or drink it until the vibration feels good. Either way...

Quote:
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:16 PM
A JKO DICK

Garage

I heard someone say " vibration, alcohol and feel good", so here I am!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
What is wrong with stupid people? Never mind
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
If I'm gonna kiss a man, I want it to be hard and rough... not gay!
Old 01-06-2014, 05:26 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASSFROW View Post
I heard someone say " vibration, alcohol and feel good", so here I am!!!!
LOL, Frow of Ass! Got a chuckle out of me.

Quote:
Old 01-06-2014, 07:23 PM
Granite Guru

Yea I feel your pain as well.. Winter time sucks but is still kinda fun. I may try a few idea suggested above not really worried about the finish on my wheels and they and rock bashed anyway. Might try something different on each wheel and see what works.

Quick google search on Liquid ice melt turned up lots of results.

Here is one. I am not concerned with he finish on my 6 month old wheels.. *L* I am going to sand then and coat them this summer anyhow.
http://www.menards.com/main/outdoors...34-c-12409.htm

Or:
http://www.megagro.com/iceclear.htm

For me it is not a matter of removing what is there, it is keeping it from building up. Tire cover might be the next best answer. My single carport houses the wife's car and is not tall enough for my JK regardless. Nothing worse than getting recalled into work at 2am and shake to death the whole way there. Just to jump on a boat and get tossed around all night.

Last edited by HAFICON; 01-06-2014 at 07:42 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:39 AM
Granite Guru

I used to use these when I raced ATVs http://www.bykas.com/Rim-Spins-Custo...esigns-s/2.htm. Maybe some one can fabricate something out of a plastic for full size rims.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCTAZ View Post
You guys are a bunch of tool bags! Pretty sad that the guy who has only ever lived in SoCal or the desert knows this shit...

2:1 Ratio of isopropyl rubbing alcohol to water in a spray bottle or for larger applications like yours, a pump sprayer. You can usually get those big bottles of rubbing alcohol at Wally World or the CVS/Walgreens on sale. Probably cost you ten to fifteen bucks to fill up a pump sprayer and would last a while.

http://kk.org/cooltools/archives/5944
I expect nothing less than tool bag remarks from this crowd, Lol. Even though I don't post much, I'm surprised I haven't had any tool bag remarks before.

Some ideas thrown out that I'll have to try if I get out on another winter run.

Old 01-07-2014, 04:06 PM
Rock God

I just remembered. One of the times my wheels were snowpacked and I said fuggit, yeah, the ride got bad. It also tossed some balance weights so there's that to look after, too.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:08 PM
Rock God

Just pee on each tire after you go through the snow. It will melt it all off
Old 01-07-2014, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavallini03 View Post
Just pee on each tire after you go through the snow. It will melt it all off
We joked about that. Lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in