BF Goodrich All terrain Tire Question - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 01-02-2014, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

BF Goodrich All terrain Tire Question

Hi everyone , need some advice on replacement tires. I have a 2007 JK with stock 17 inch wheels ( 255 75 17 ). i want to change to a slightly more aggressive tire with better all round use. I have decided on the BF Goodrich all terrain tire. i will not be doing any aggressive offroading but like the fact that the BFG has some versatility , including a snowflake symbol for winter driving. just in case it snows in Vancouver Canada.... ( usually a handful of days per year ) Believe it or not the Snowflake designation could be the difference between an insurance claim being accepted or not valid in a crash.That's the problem when the Government has a monopoly on insurance. The problem is that the stock 255 75 17 size is a bit of an oddball and the BFG's don't come in that size. My options are a 265 70 17....or a 285 70 17. Need to know which size to get in terms of overall look and appearance on the Jeep. i know the tires should perform the same but am not sure what size to buy.....Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-03-2014, 07:13 AM
Wheeler

Just to throw something else into the mix, have you considered General Grabber AT2's? I had a set on my WJ for 60k miles on Maine roads (read: crap pavement and lots of potholes), and I loved them. A lot of people choose the Generals over BFG's due to the huge difference in price, but IMHO, the Generals are better in snow/ice and have the same road manners. Food for thought.

If you are set on BFG's, the 285's are obviously taller, 1" to be exact, at 32.8", and have about 1/2" wider footprint. They also have a bigger price tag (about $50 more per tire). You'll hardly be able to tell the difference, so my advice is to save yourself the $200, get the 265's now and put that $ toward a set of 35's in 4 years!

Tyler R. - Ansonia, CT
Silver '12 JKRU
6-speed, soft top, 2.5" TF Lift, 35" Treadwright Guard Dogs, Smittybilt SRC front bumper, Superwinch TS9500 winch, M.O.R.E. oil pan/trans skid, Skid Row exhaust loop skid, Dominion evap relocation,*Smittybilt Oversized Tiire Carrier and Cibie headlights.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-03-2014, 07:31 AM
Granite Guru

Not all BFG AT's carry the snowflake symbol. There are certain sizes which do not meet the spec because of the size of the patch. Be sure to check the specs on the size you are looking at.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 01-03-2014, 12:59 PM

Question

what size are you ultimately looking for to end up with? Seems like your looking in the stock ranges from 31 to 33 right?

There are some good vendors in the forum list that you could call and see what they have that might work.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-03-2014, 06:07 PM
Rock God

Garage

Another option would be Goodyear Duratracs. They do carry the snowflake designation, do pretty well off road and aren't super aggressive. Another option, although lacking the snowflake, is the stock BFG MT. The ones that come stock, not the KM2's. They are available at Discount Tire Direct. Or, you could find someone that has stock take offs and probably get all 5 for a good price. They do pretty well in the snow. I'm running them now and we've had something like 60 cm's so far this year Best bet is to order them from the states and hop the border to get whatever you choose, since it seems Canadian prices are exponentially higher.

2011 Sahara Tan 2dr Rubicon
Rock Krawler Stock Mod w/ Fox Evolution 2.0's - 36 X 12.5 X 15" Interco TSL's on Black Steel wheels - Rock Krawler track bars front and back - Poison Spyder Customs BFH front bumper w/ Brawler bar - Warn HS9500i winch w/ synthetic rope - Trail Head Deflators - Viair 440P Compressor Instagram: jeepethan
post #6 of 6 Old 01-06-2014, 01:43 PM
Rock God

I bought BFG AT KO for the decades-long reputation of the original...put them on my WJ. Sure, great traction everywhere for what it is and high treadlife, but they're crap quality.
Mine have lateral runout and are impossible to balance well, 275/65-17.
They've caused quite a bit of shimmy and wobble.

Their replacements will be either General Grabber AT2s or Goodyear Duratracs. I just wish they'd wear out soon so I can get to replacing them.

My previous Pirellis in a comparable size gave me nothing but joy. Sadly, that tire is no longer available.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode