Need Skid Advice - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 01-02-2014, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Need Skid Advice

I have 2 door JK with nothing but factory skids. I'm starting to wheel in more rocks so I think it's time to start looking at some more protection. I'm looking at the Rock Hard 4x4 skids. I was thinking about the oil pan/transmission skid, the transfer case skid and a evap skid. I'm going to hold off on the gas tank skid for now. What other skids should I think about? What other brands should I Consider?

I'm in no hurry to buy because I'll probably wait till Jeep Beach to see what kind of deals I can find.

2011 Wrangler Sport,RK 2.5 X Factor with RRD 2.0 shocks, Synergy steering, Poison Spyder bumpers narrow alum fenders diff covers, LOD sliders, Rockridge 4wd tail lights, trucklites, TF higned tire carrier, Cooper discover STT 37x13.50, 4.56 gears

Ordered a 2015 2 door Rubicon 3-23-15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-03-2014, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Nobody runs skids?

2011 Wrangler Sport,RK 2.5 X Factor with RRD 2.0 shocks, Synergy steering, Poison Spyder bumpers narrow alum fenders diff covers, LOD sliders, Rockridge 4wd tail lights, trucklites, TF higned tire carrier, Cooper discover STT 37x13.50, 4.56 gears

Ordered a 2015 2 door Rubicon 3-23-15
post #3 of 11 Old 01-03-2014, 04:19 PM
JKO Addict!

Keep the weight down and just run an evap skid. The stockers are pretty adequate and have never kept me from getting home.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 01-03-2014, 05:31 PM
Rock God

I run the evo proteck kit and a home made evaporated skid. Factory everything else
post #5 of 11 Old 01-03-2014, 05:31 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

I like Rock Hard's skid system and I think you'll be very pleased with it if you decide to go this route.

I would recommend covering up the stock gas tank skid before you get too much damage on it. It takes up a lot of real estate under there and is usually the first thing you smack real good offroad.

Everyone's skids are designed to bolt on OVER the stock gas tank skid except for Synergy's. If it is all smashed up you're going to have a harder time bolding it on there than if you do it before you crush it.

I never put skids on my previous Jeeps, but I smashed up the belly on the JKU and regret not putting a tank skid on it along with the EVO skids when I first got it.

The stock skids are fine, but I'd much rather see a Jeep for sale with scarred up aftermarket skids than smashed up factory skids and gas tanks...

Marcus

post #6 of 11 Old 01-03-2014, 05:55 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityOffroad View Post

The stock skids are fine, but I'd much rather see a Jeep for sale with scarred up aftermarket skids than smashed up factory skids and gas tanks...

Marcus
Not everyone goes through jeeps as frequently as you do lol.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #7 of 11 Old 01-03-2014, 07:00 PM
Granite Guru

I'm running the full TNT Customs aluminum skid system with a Poison Spyder Evap Skid. I love the aluminum skids, they've already taken a beating but still looking good. I recently did a trans filter service and had no issues with the engine/trans skid not wanting to come off after all the hits.

I will say, on my 4 dr at least all my scaring to the skids is from the t*case crossmember and back. Maybe one or two little scratches on the engine/trans skid. Get that fuel tank covered up fast.

Now I just need to find a way to protect my body mounts and factory control arm mounts. They're getting the hell beat out of them.

Americans can sleep peaceably at night because US Soldiers stand ready to fight on their behalf

2008 Unlimited Rubicon: 37's, 3" Synergy Springs, Artec trusses, 5.38's, Winch, PSC/Poly Cage, Bumpers, TNT Alum belly skids, and other doodads
post #8 of 11 Old 01-04-2014, 08:33 AM
Granite Guru

rockhard skids here, I like them a lot !

2010 rubicon. 3.5 rk lift. 37,s. 6.2 Ls3.
post #9 of 11 Old 01-04-2014, 08:38 AM
Wheeler

Evo ProTek skid plate system here. I dented my oil pan before I got them rock crawling. Glad I did. Protects the exhaust cross pipe and the automatic transmission cooling line that's exposed under there too.
post #10 of 11 Old 01-06-2014, 01:27 PM
Granite Guru

I run the Evo Protek stuff as well. Their stuff is very strong but what sold me on the oil pan skid is that the way it's formed, it makes it easy to do oil changes.
post #11 of 11 Old 01-06-2014, 01:36 PM
Granite Guru

Its a different way of doing it but the TNT setup doesn't have to be removed to change the engine oil either. Only the automatic transmission fluid/filter service requires removal of the engine/trans skid.

Americans can sleep peaceably at night because US Soldiers stand ready to fight on their behalf

2008 Unlimited Rubicon: 37's, 3" Synergy Springs, Artec trusses, 5.38's, Winch, PSC/Poly Cage, Bumpers, TNT Alum belly skids, and other doodads
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode