Death wobble is killing me. Best track bar for the $? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 01-01-2014, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Death wobble is killing me. Best track bar for the $?

I had some bad death wobble about 6 times in 20 minutes today going down the interstate.

Ive been doing some reading and while I havent had a chance to properly diagnose my problem, Im fairly certain its the track bar.

Im probably going to order a new steering stabilizer (I know it only "masks" the problem, but even that helps for now) and a track bar. Keeping the cost to a minimum would help, but I need something to fix this DW asap.

The Teraflex steering stabilizer is only $55 which isnt a big deal but the Teraflex Monster track bar is $250+.
Are there any cheaper options that will still work well? I really dont want to spend much on it, but assuming the track bar is the source of the DW I do want to solve the problem. Also, Im all stock now but plan to lift it 2.5". Will an aftermarket track bar work with and without the lift?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-01-2014, 08:53 PM
Rock God

i would try to diagnose it further. what about your track bar is leading you to think its the culprit?
post #3 of 11 Old 01-01-2014, 08:58 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXIS View Post
I had some bad death wobble about 6 times in 20 minutes today going down the interstate.

Ive been doing some reading and while I havent had a chance to properly diagnose my problem, Im fairly certain its the track bar.

Im probably going to order a new steering stabilizer (I know it only "masks" the problem, but even that helps for now) and a track bar. Keeping the cost to a minimum would help, but I need something to fix this DW asap.

The Teraflex steering stabilizer is only $55 which isnt a big deal but the Teraflex Monster track bar is $250+.
Are there any cheaper options that will still work well? I really dont want to spend much on it, but assuming the track bar is the source of the DW I do want to solve the problem. Also, Im all stock now but plan to lift it 2.5". Will an aftermarket track bar work with and without the lift?
I just made a post yesterday that may help you get driveable in the meantime (toe adjustment):
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showpo...3&postcount=63
and there's a link to Planman's DW thread at the top of it (please tell me you've read Planman's thread?

I have the Tf Monster track bar, and can confirm that it will adjust to work stock and lifted.
I have no firsthand knowledge of other track bars, so I can't help you there.

bthomas is pointing you in the right direction: it with be a lot quicker and more affordable to fix if you diagnose DW before hucking parts at it.

Best of luck. I've felt your pain.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 01-01-2014, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthomas View Post
i would try to diagnose it further. what about your track bar is leading you to think its the culprit?
The youtube video I watched

Most people seemed to claim that most cases of DW were track bar issues so I was mainly shopping around to see how much it would cost IF that ends up being the issue. Im hoping to find a bit of time this weekend to diagnose it further before I actually order anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
I just made a post yesterday that may help you get driveable in the meantime (toe adjustment):
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showpo...3&postcount=63
and there's a link to Planman's DW thread at the top of it (please tell me you've read Planman's thread?

I have the Tf Monster track bar, and can confirm that it will adjust to work stock and lifted.
I have no firsthand knowledge of other track bars, so I can't help you there.

bthomas is pointing you in the right direction: it with be a lot quicker and more affordable to fix if you diagnose DW before hucking parts at it.

Best of luck. I've felt your pain.
The videos I watched were from Planman, and I believe I have looked at his thread a few weeks back.
I dont think Ill bother trying to mess with the toe until I can look things over. I havent experienced any trouble if I stay under 50mph and my dad is bringing my second car up to my apartment Friday so I will be able to use it for any highway driving until I can get the Jeep fixed. The hardest part is that I cant really do any wrenching at my apartment and my parents house it 140 miles from here.
post #5 of 11 Old 01-01-2014, 09:18 PM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to DiscoBayJoe

How many miles on your tires? I found old / unbalanced / out of round tires triggered my DW. Similar to the stabilizer, just changing/rotating the tires doesn't solve whatever is worn, but it may help you a little until you can wrench. I had DW completely stock (including factory BFG's) @ 55K miles and resolved it the first time with a lift & new wheels/tires. 50K miles later it came back and I again resolved it with a steering rebuild and new tires.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2008 JKUR 3.5" Frankenlift : RK/Artec/Synergy/Reid/Currie/PSC - Spyder'd Out - 35" MTR/K's on Spyderlocks - BinksFab Tailgate
post #6 of 11 Old 01-02-2014, 01:06 AM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

I have observed that most DW issues are ball joint related. Just saying....

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #7 of 11 Old 01-02-2014, 06:38 AM
Rock God

Most DW starts with the trackbar.

It isn't that the trackbar is bad, it's that the trackbar bolts loosen up and cause the bracket bolt holes to oval out and damage the trackbar bushings.

You need to stop driving your jeep until you fix it. Every episode of DW risks damaging other components.

Remove your front trackbar and inspect the bracket bolt holes for ovaling and the bushings for failure.

Because you had multiple episodes of DW, you actually should do everything in the written inspection checklist in my write-up thread.

Bad ball joints can cause pretty bad shimmies/wobbles, but this metal clanking noise isn't from bad ball joints:

Death Wobble - YouTube

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Last edited by planman; 01-02-2014 at 06:48 AM.
post #8 of 11 Old 01-02-2014, 06:51 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by planman View Post

It isn't that the trackbar is bad, it's that the trackbar bolts loosen up and cause the bracket bolt holes to oval out and damage the trackbar bushings.
Personally, I think the Track Bar is the first place you should start. If our lucky, it's as simple as a loose TB bolt. It might not wiggle when you try to shake it, but that doesn't mean it's not loose. Get a cheater bar and tighten the fawk out of both sides.

Planman's list pretty much cover's every aspect of DW. Before you start replacing parts, read over it and start tracking down the real cause. By now, it might be more than one cause/trigger. BJs, TREs, & bushings can go bad pretty quick if you experience DW often.

08 Unlimited: Lift, Wheels, Tires, Winch ... and an ever shrinking bank account
post #9 of 11 Old 01-02-2014, 07:43 AM
Jeepineer

Garage

Quote:
The youtube video I watched

Most people seemed to claim that most cases of DW were track bar issues so I was mainly shopping around to see how much it would cost IF that ends up being the issue. Im hoping to find a bit of time this weekend to diagnose it further before I actually order anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by planman View Post

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I would agree that the trackbar is most comonly the initial start of your issues (no always, but usually). Just keep in mind how violent DW really is, and how many times you've had it. When you get DW, you apply that violent shock to other parts of the system, not just the trackbar.

For me, mine started with a bent trackbar and bad ends, and just from trying to limp home and about 10 more cases, it tore up the ball joints, steering linkage, brackets, etc...

-Mike
2007 2dr X, 6sp, 35's on D44's, 2" lift, cage, hydro, etc.
post #10 of 11 Old 01-02-2014, 10:24 AM
Rock God

best track bar for the money

Quote:

Best track bar for the money? That is too easy. Call around to your local 4x4 shops and pick up a new, stock front track bar take off. I just picked up a brand new 2014 front track bar for free. I don't know what year Jeep you have, but Chrsyler improved the bushings in the track bars in 2010 and again in 2011 or 2012. The stock ones are fine, until the bushings wear out. And the later model ones have been improved to last longer. I would highly recommend a frame side track bar brace as well. Helps fix or prevent the mounting hole from ovaling out.
post #11 of 11 Old 01-02-2014, 02:22 PM
Rock God

Try a look at these two videos before you spend any $$. Best to pay once, than twice.

PLANMAN explains Death Wobble Diagnosis and Inspection Jeep JK Wrangler Part 1 - YouTube

Part 2, PLANMAN explains Death Wobble Diagnosis and Inspection Jeep JK Wrangler - YouTube

2008 JK Rubi on big tires and stuff, RIPP supercharger.
Various dents and scratches.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode