Rampage sport rack, anybody running one? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 12-30-2013, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Rampage sport rack, anybody running one?

I've been looking for a rear cargo rack and this one caught my eye, mainly because it folds up against the back seat when not in use, so the dog would still have his area. Seems like the only complaints I've been able to find about it are it rattles some on the latches, takes some modifications to the factory sub enclosure, and well, its made by Rampage, lol. Anybody running one of these and have some real world feedback? I like the Poly Baja Basket, and some of the others I've looked at but they're all fixed in one spot, the ability to fold it out of the way is huge to me.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/12...FTDhQgodFl0AmQ

Aaron
2008 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-30-2013, 09:18 PM
Granite Guru

I have one and like it a lot. The big thing for me was the cost. Seemed like everybody else wanted double the money for some 1" tubing and sheet metal. It does rattle a little bit but I wrapped the part of the bracket that it sit on with a few layers of electrical tape and that took care of most of it. I'm sure most of the noise I here now is the tools in my tool bag. I never did trim down the sub box, I just let it sit on top of it. Even with tools, two bags of tire chains, a strap, and a few more odds and ends the sub box hasn't show any signs of distress. I wedged a folded up sponge between the rack and my sub box to fill in the slight gap.

Americans can sleep peaceably at night because US Soldiers stand ready to fight on their behalf

2008 Unlimited Rubicon: 37's, 3" Synergy Springs, Artec trusses, 5.38's, Winch, PSC/Poly Cage, Bumpers, TNT Alum belly skids, and other doodads
post #3 of 13 Old 01-01-2014, 06:46 PM

I have one in my Jk. It serves it purpose well and does fold out of the way easily. On the other hand it does rattle a bit when you hit big bumps in the roads but its not too terrible.

2010 JKUR Red, 4" Teraflex Mid Arm with 9550 shocks, Procomp 7033's wrapped in 35" KM2's, Ace front and rear bumpers, Ace sliders, rigid duallys in front and rear bumpers, trekwerx hudrack with 30" black box logistics light bar, 5.38 gears, axles gusseted, teraflex hood shocks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 01-02-2014, 07:18 AM
Rock God

They're pretty nice, especially for the money. They have a new revision that has been redesigned for the newer JKs as well. Rampage has surprisingly good quality amongst the import stuff and I'm a very big fan of their tops. Their customer service is outstanding and they're just all around good guys at that company.
post #5 of 13 Old 01-02-2014, 07:52 AM
Rock God

I have one also. I fixed the rattle with some rubber stops and bed lined the bottom with Al's liner when I did my tub. I couldn't imagine packing for a camping/wheeling trip with out it.

Yes it does fold up but I wouldn't expect it to be useful in the way you want it to be. I wouldn't put my dog back there with it up. I wouldn't trust the gas shocks plus it still takes up some room when it is in the up position so depending on the size of your dog it might still be in the way. Plus with it up it will block your rear view completely.
If your dog is on the smaller size like my 2 Brittany's (35-38lbs each) he can ride on top. Typically my dogs ride on the back seat in a hammock suspended from the front seats but my youngest pup has climbed up onto the rack from the back seat. Coincidentally one of the crate matterss' we have fits perfectly inside the rack. Of course you will probably have to lift them onto the rack. At 3 inches of lift and 37's my dogs have a tough time even jumping into the rear seats.
I have never used the tilt option in the 3 years I have had it. You cant really reach the latches with out opening the tail gate and then once you do there is no need to tilt the rack up. I pack milk crates with spare parts and once they are pushed back against the back of the seat you cant tilt it up anyway.

Its still a great rack even if you decide not to use it in the up position with the dogs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 JKUR- 3 Inch Synergy Stage III Lift, PR44, 1310 Shafts, RROR Skids, 37" MTR's, Warn 9.5Ti, Bumpers, Sliders, OBA, Lights... bla bla bla
post #6 of 13 Old 01-02-2014, 08:23 AM
Granite Guru

I tilt mine up. I keep a Husky tool kit, my tow strap, my tree saver, a tool bag, and in the winter two bags of tire chains on mine. I have bungies holding them down onto the rack and the struts will hold it in the up position like that.

My only real complaint is that I wish it was an inch or two higher so I could fit my cooler underneath it.

Americans can sleep peaceably at night because US Soldiers stand ready to fight on their behalf

2008 Unlimited Rubicon: 37's, 3" Synergy Springs, Artec trusses, 5.38's, Winch, PSC/Poly Cage, Bumpers, TNT Alum belly skids, and other doodads
post #7 of 13 Old 01-02-2014, 02:30 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
My only real complaint is that I wish it was an inch or two higher so I could fit my cooler underneath it.
That is just my concern. How high off the deck is it? About the height of the stock woofer?
post #8 of 13 Old 01-02-2014, 02:51 PM
JKO Addict!

I have one. I dumped my sub cause I really dont care about the stereo. I also bolted it down where the latches were because it rattled so much I wanted to kill something or someone.

I used to put my cooler on top of it and it worked great for me. I store all my other shit in three Action Packers which fits perfectly under it and leaves some extra room for a few items in canvas tool bags. I also bolted my air tank to it on the driver side.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Originally Posted by van7559
I can bury my pinky in the rear, and just barley feel it, the front is a little easier, but still seems low to me!

I fist fuck life with a nuclear powered pneumatic fuck hammer for 60, 70 hrs a week...
post #9 of 13 Old 01-05-2014, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Thanks for the replies. Can somebody snag a pic or 2 of how much space it takes up when folded? I would like to see how much room is back there for my dog when it's flipped up.

Aaron
post #10 of 13 Old 01-05-2014, 04:44 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by snksknr94 View Post
Thanks for the replies. Can somebody snag a pic or 2 of how much space it takes up when folded? I would like to see how much room is back there for my dog when it's flipped up.

Here you go. I forgot to measure how high off the floor it is when down, although mine won't be 100% accurate anyways as I welded the brackets to my cage and they're a bit higher than if they were bolted.

post #11 of 13 Old 01-05-2014, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Thumbs up

Quote:
Here you go. I forgot to measure how high off the floor it is when down, although mine won't be 100% accurate anyways as I welded the brackets to my cage and they're a bit higher than if they were bolted.

Thank you!

Aaron
post #12 of 13 Old 01-06-2014, 02:55 PM
Rock God

Quote:

Nice. What cage is that? Custom? I was wondering how it would fit with the poly performance c-pillar as their cage is in my long term plans. I would likely do the same and weld it to the cage.

2008 JKUR- 3 Inch Synergy Stage III Lift, PR44, 1310 Shafts, RROR Skids, 37" MTR's, Warn 9.5Ti, Bumpers, Sliders, OBA, Lights... bla bla bla
post #13 of 13 Old 01-06-2014, 03:41 PM
Granite Guru

The C-pillar portion is the Poison Spyder one. It doesn't interfere at all with the Rugged Ridge rack. I think the Poly Performance C-pillar will though as its floor plate goes in the same area as where the rack attaches, at the outermost rear seat bracket.

I really like Poly's stuff and am running their B-Pillar kit, but the Poison Spyder C-Pillar kit is half the price and the only real difference is the lack of a harness bar. I don't think the 1 piece of DOM is worth the extra 140$. Neither one has a frame tie-in and I like how the Poison Spyder one sits up against the outside of the seats instead of leaning in behind them. I'm going to add a harness bar and run it in the groove between the seat back and the head rests.

The rear spreaders are the factory cage just stripped of the stupid foam/cloth coverings and painted with bed liner. There are more pictures/details in my thread in the scrapbook/pic request section.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode