Education please - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 12-22-2013, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Question Education please

Hey all, I'm new here and have only been perusing and don't yet have a Jeep.

Basically I'm looking at a New JK for my weekend fun/utility vehicle...I have my Crown Vic for my economy car and daily driver (23+ mpg on my commute to the office).

My buddy had an old 94 Wrangler, 4cyl and 5spd and we had a blast with that thing, takin the doors and top off to cruise the trails at my camp, to go deer spotting, and for plain ole fun.

When I find the one I want it will most likely be a sport with the non steel wheels, 6spd manual with AC and a soft top. The rear seat will promptly be removed as I plan to use the rig for hunting, fishing, trail riding and basically being a weekend warrior to be outside...it'll also be nice for the rough weather north of Pittsburgh this time of year.

What are some things I should be aware of before pulling the trigger on a Wrangler? I'm about 6'4" and 200lbs and want to make sure id be atleast comfy on a 2 hour drive to my camp, and the worst off roading I'd do is some trail rides, some puddlin...Nothing too extreme or serious.

I do fear as time goes on my desire to stay stock as
Possible will go the way of the dodo like my AR15s have...but that is some time in the future yet!

I was looking to buy a new 2dr truck like a Ram Express or F150STX 5.0 for filling my outdoorsy needs but I really think I'll enjoy a Jeep more and they do cost a good bit less than the trucks I mentioned...And like any red blooded American boy who grew up in the outdoors I'd always fancied me a Wrangler

Any opinions are welcome! Thank you!

I was indecisive once, now I'm not so sure.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Liquor was invented to stop the Irish from taking over the world.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 12-23-2013, 08:35 AM
JKO Addict!

Jeep updated the interior in 2011. In 2012 they came out with the 3.6 pentastar motor and a new 5 speed transmission. Slight gear changes were made to the 6 speed manual at that time. You can check the Jeep web site to see the differences between models.

From what you describe it looks like you would be looking at a sport or X model.

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #3 of 20 Old 12-23-2013, 09:01 AM
Granite Guru

A good look underneath will give you an idea of how it was used. Here are a couple more threads on the subject.

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87148

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62415
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 12-23-2013, 11:22 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undecisive View Post
The rear seat will promptly be removed as I plan to use the rig for hunting, fishing, trail riding and basically being a weekend warrior to be outside...
You mentioned getting rid of the rear seats for more room. With your outdoor needs in mind, have you thought at all about a JKU? With a JKU you wouldn't have to do that. Plus it gives you the option of 3 extra places for your hunting buddies, dog, etc. I do a few outdoor activities like kayaking and fly fishing and am so glad I have the extra space in my JKU.
post #5 of 20 Old 12-23-2013, 11:32 AM
A JKO DICK

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphTomaccio View Post
You mentioned getting rid of the rear seats for more room. With your outdoor needs in mind, have you thought at all about a JKU? With a JKU you wouldn't have to do that. Plus it gives you the option of 3 extra places for your hunting buddies, dog, etc. I do a few outdoor activities like kayaking and fly fishing and am so glad I have the extra space in my JKU.
Stop trying to talk someone that wants a real Jeep into buying a mall crawling, grocery getting, soccor mom driving Wrangler station wagon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
What is wrong with stupid people? Never mind
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
If I'm gonna kiss a man, I want it to be hard and rough... not gay!
post #6 of 20 Old 12-23-2013, 11:43 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASSFROW View Post
Stop trying to talk someone that wants a real Jeep into buying a mall crawling, grocery getting, soccor mom driving Wrangler station wagon.
Sounds like something someone half your age would say.

Last edited by RalphTomaccio; 12-23-2013 at 11:46 AM.
post #7 of 20 Old 12-23-2013, 03:15 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
This.

2012 Jeep Wrangler - Gecko
3.5" Rock Krawler X Factor
40x13.5 Nitto Mud Grapplers / 17" Fuel Hostage
Poison Spyder Brawler Lite / Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers
Poison Spyder RockBrawler w/ Tire Carrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
and yet... canada still sucks worse

we'd make fun of your prime minister if we could... unfortunately nobody's ever heard of him!
post #8 of 20 Old 12-23-2013, 05:58 PM
Rock God

Look for one with 3.73 gears (not the 3.21) and the limited slip rear axle (better than open). I think both come with the "towing package" (All 2000lbs of it). You'll probably prefer the hard top for winters and long drives and it's easy enough to take off with two cam straps and a few eye-bolts.

08 "X", RC BB, 33" Duratracs, Coast 1310 front, Hellfires, Woods evap relo.
post #9 of 20 Old 12-23-2013, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

Haha I owned a Grand Marquis wagon through high school and college, no desire for a wagon. And due to owning a wagon and now a Crown Victoria I'm always the jitney driver since I've always had the room...a 2 door would allow me to not have to be the driver and force one of my buddies with a ext cab truck to drive on the big trips.

I'll also be buying it new, since I'd run it into the ground before I got rid of it...literally did that to the wagon when the frame snapped...And the Crown Vic is a low mileage (bought it 3 years ago with 38k miles, now at 96k, 2002 model) reliable car so by the time the jeep would be paid off id still have plenty of life left in the car baring any accidents.

My objective is to have something I'll enjoy driving more than a vic, something I can have fun and go places out in the woods on the weekends and allow me to make it to camp when the heavy snow falls (the ole wagon would plow through 10" of snow with its steel bumper and posi-trac, the vic cannot perform that task). All my fishin rods break down minus the muskee rod, and a pop up tent and some supplies for me and the significant other would handily fit in the back for camping, rifles can fit in the back without issue for hunting but I do suppose my Excalibur crossbow may take up a lot of space.

With me and my buddies getting older and settling down we can't really organize one driver to make it to someone's camp for opening of trout or other big outdoors trips with work schedules and such so most of the time it'll just be me and maybe someone else if we go off roading.

The standard shift is a must for me, I've always loved driving one but wouldn't enjoy it for my daily commute and the trailer package is also a must have...and taking the top off to go convertible on a nice summer day would be awesome.

My vic has an open diff and I've learned that as long as BOTH wheels have no traction she'll go ANYWHERE in the snow with my studded tires.

I was indecisive once, now I'm not so sure.

Liquor was invented to stop the Irish from taking over the world.
post #10 of 20 Old 12-25-2013, 03:14 AM
Rock God

Garage

I was in your shoes 3 months ago. I had the option to buy new and get almost what I wanted. Problem was, finding that perfect one. The dealer pre-order ones around here were either higher end Sahara's, or basic Sport's. Nothing wrong with basic, but I wanted AC and a hard top. A lot of the ones I looked at lacked one or the other. AC is nice in the summer, if you are fortunate enough to get stuck in traffic, or the bugs are bad. Hardtop I'm not really crazy over, except for the winter. Back in the fall, I had the soft top on and there were some early, cold mornings I'll tell you. The little bit of insulation that the hardtop does offer makes a big difference in retention of heat.

The best advice I can offer is patience. I looked for mine for almost 4 months. Everything was either not what I wanted, too much asking price for the jeep I would be getting or sold before I looked at it. I was ready to pretty much give up on what I wanted when I found mine on Autotrader one night at supper. The price was awesome, it was not only what I wanted, but what I really wanted (being a Rubicon and all) and it was even the color I thought I would never find. My area isn't really heavy populated or a Jeep haven, so finding an oddball like mine was a dream. What I'm saying is do NOT compromise. If you do, you might end up driving it and thinking "Damn, I wish I had (insert option)"

The new engines don't hate the 3.21 gearing as much as the 3.8's did, but I would certainly look for one with the 3.73 option. The need for a limited slip is debatable; mine has an open diff in the back (unlocked) and I have yet to get into a situation in the snow where I thought a limited slip was needed. On road, they have a pretty good traction control system so it corrects fairly quick. Plus, a 2 door is so short that the ass end whips out quick. Over the past week, we've had about 16" of snow fall, plus 2 days that were freezing rain, which made the driving kinda messy. But, even with the stock BFG mud terrain tires, I wasn't nervous driving.

Go out and test drive the shit out of everyone you can. Don't let dealers talk you into things you don't need, or out of things you want. You never know, you might have your mind set on a soft top, but get in one and freeze your arse off. Or be perfectly happy. You've got a good idea what you're looking for, just have to find one to fit the criteria.

It really is fun and exciting to be buying one. Sometimes it's stressful as hell, but as long as you stay patient you will end up with the perfect Jeep for you.

Good luck

2011 Sahara Tan 2dr Rubicon
Rock Krawler Stock Mod w/ Fox Evolution 2.0's - 36 X 12.5 X 15" Interco TSL's on Black Steel wheels - Rock Krawler track bars front and back - Poison Spyder Customs BFH front bumper w/ Brawler bar - Warn HS9500i winch w/ synthetic rope - Trail Head Deflators - Viair 440P Compressor Instagram: jeepethan
post #11 of 20 Old 12-25-2013, 07:36 AM

We sound so alike. Lol. You will love the room in the JK. I'm 6'4" and about 220 and just bought another JK. 2014 sport auto and a/c. The new 3.6 is so much more powerful than the old 3.8 that I hated. I also own a crown vic. Lol

post #12 of 20 Old 12-25-2013, 07:43 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
J8 conversion and that soccer mom jeep becomes a modern Scrambler. Suck it Barbie Jeep lover.

Besides, a 2dr JK is far from a "real" jeep too. Lose the dash, carpet, automatic transmission, radio, 1 of the tail lights, the turn signals, the passenger side windshield wiper, make the driver side wiper manual actuated, lose the hard top option, lose the roll bar, lose the coil springs, lose the unit bearings, lose the high back seats, put the spare tire on the side of the tub, put an actual tail gate on it, reduce the power even further, make the top speed about 50mph down hill with a strong tail wind, and you might make it a "real" Jeep. All that said, my CJ2 was really cool but I'll take my soccer mom JKU over it anyday.

Americans can sleep peaceably at night because US Soldiers stand ready to fight on their behalf

2008 Unlimited Rubicon: 37's, 3" Synergy Springs, Artec trusses, 5.38's, Winch, PSC/Poly Cage, Bumpers, TNT Alum belly skids, and other doodads

Last edited by Dutch; 12-25-2013 at 07:48 AM.
post #13 of 20 Old 12-25-2013, 08:05 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyone View Post
I also own a crown vic.
Crown Vic's rock, especially in Moab Moab rock crawling in a Crown Victoria - baby lions back slick rock jeep climb - YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
J8 conversion and that soccer mom jeep becomes a modern Scrambler. Suck it Barbie Jeep lover.

Besides, a 2dr JK is far from a "real" jeep too. Lose the dash, carpet, automatic transmission, radio, 1 of the tail lights, the turn signals, the passenger side windshield wiper, make the driver side wiper manual actuated, lose the hard top option, lose the roll bar, lose the coil springs, lose the unit bearings, lose the high back seats, put the spare tire on the side of the tub, put an actual tail gate on it, reduce the power even further, make the top speed about 50mph down hill with a strong tail wind, and you might make it a "real" Jeep. All that said, my CJ2 was really cool but I'll take my soccer mom JKU over it anyday.
I second that Dutch

2010 JKUR, 4" Pro C., 3/4" f Daystar spacer, 5.38's, EVO sleeve/gusset/custom trussed, Rear Ten Factory axle shafts, 1.5" wheel spacers, Pro C. 17 x 9 wheels, 38 x 14.50 x 17 MTR's, SuperChip FP, no fenders, B&M Tranny cooler, Magnaflow, Fr./ Rr. frame hacked off, HD Balls

29,000 miles as of 12/13/14

Last edited by 10jk; 12-25-2013 at 08:09 AM.
post #14 of 20 Old 12-25-2013, 11:35 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

id go look at a 2 door and have them take the seat out so you can see how much room is there. WITH the seat theres non. theres a little with the seat out. on a side note the rear seats sell for stupid money. but you can always add a roof rack or one of those hitch rack things.

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #15 of 20 Old 12-25-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10jk View Post
I love that video. Lol

I took my rear seat out as soon as I got home from the dealer. Plenty of room back there for my needs.
post #16 of 20 Old 12-25-2013, 06:12 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:

All that explainin' and you still have drive a mall crawling, grocery getting, soccor mom driving Wrangler station wagon.

I can't believe people still get sandy vag over this shit.

2012 Jeep Wrangler - Gecko
3.5" Rock Krawler X Factor
40x13.5 Nitto Mud Grapplers / 17" Fuel Hostage
Poison Spyder Brawler Lite / Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers
Poison Spyder RockBrawler w/ Tire Carrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
and yet... canada still sucks worse

we'd make fun of your prime minister if we could... unfortunately nobody's ever heard of him!
post #17 of 20 Old 12-25-2013, 06:20 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacabb View Post
All that explainin' and you still have drive a mall crawling, grocery getting, soccor mom driving Wrangler station wagon.

I can't believe people still get sandy vag over this shit.
What can I say, I've only owned a CJ2 and YJ before. All my other Jeeps were XJ's (at least 6 of them, I lost count) so I'm pretty used to driving a soccer-mom station wagon Jeep. At least this one has a soft top.

Americans can sleep peaceably at night because US Soldiers stand ready to fight on their behalf

2008 Unlimited Rubicon: 37's, 3" Synergy Springs, Artec trusses, 5.38's, Winch, PSC/Poly Cage, Bumpers, TNT Alum belly skids, and other doodads
post #18 of 20 Old 12-26-2013, 12:02 PM
A JKO DICK

Garage

Quote:

Besides, a 2dr JK is far from a "real" jeep too. Lose the dash, carpet, automatic transmission, radio, 1 of the tail lights, the turn signals, the passenger side windshield wiper, make the driver side wiper manual actuated, lose the hard top option, lose the roll bar, lose the coil springs, lose the unit bearings, lose the high back seats, put the spare tire on the side of the tub, put an actual tail gate on it, reduce the power even further, make the top speed about 50mph down hill with a strong tail wind, and you might make it a "real" Jeep. All that said, my CJ2 was really cool but I'll take my soccer mom JKU over it any day.
I see someone got coal and switches for Christmas and took it out on a silly post here on the interwebs that was obviously(for most) meant to be humorous.

BTW you can do all of those things above to your grocery getter and it will still have 2 major flaws keeping it from being a real Jeep and those 2 things are of course......doors. Just because my real Jeep has some modern advances doesn't mean it's not a real Jeep unlike your station wagon, Mr. Soccer Mom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
What is wrong with stupid people? Never mind
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
If I'm gonna kiss a man, I want it to be hard and rough... not gay!
post #19 of 20 Old 12-29-2013, 08:33 AM
Wheeler

ouch....a lot of hate for the jku huh? Well I had a 2011 2 door mojave edition that was loaded to the gills, leather, nav, painted fenders, dual top, etc. It was a fairly competent jeep stock with the mud terrains but I was scared to death to take it off road...first trip I made I scratched the hell out of those shiny black painted fenders. Didn't keep it very long and now I have a 2012 jkus with non painted fenders, soft top etc and It feels more like a "real" jeep to me. (probably because I'm not scared of tearing it up a bit).....out of the two...the jku I have enjoyed much more
post #20 of 20 Old 12-29-2013, 08:49 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
LOL. That's why I got a two door.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode