Olympic 4x4 Bumper D Ring Option? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 12-21-2013, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Olympic 4x4 Bumper D Ring Option?

Does anyone know if you can attach D rings to the Olympic 4x4 Products "single hoop" front bumper (below)? If not, is there a generic D ring mount that could be mounted where the bumper is secured to the frame?
Attached Images

Tyler R. - Ansonia, CT
Silver '12 JKRU
6-speed, soft top, 2.5" TF Lift, 35" Treadwright Guard Dogs, Smittybilt SRC front bumper, Superwinch TS9500 winch, M.O.R.E. oil pan/trans skid, Skid Row exhaust loop skid, Dominion evap relocation,*Smittybilt Oversized Tiire Carrier and Cibie headlights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-22-2013, 06:55 AM
Granite Guru

Seems to me something like this should work but would need to confirm some dimensions.

post #3 of 12 Old 12-22-2013, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

It looks like that might work. I put in an email to their sales team - I'll post the response here.

Thanks for the reply.

Tyler R. - Ansonia, CT
Silver '12 JKRU
6-speed, soft top, 2.5" TF Lift, 35" Treadwright Guard Dogs, Smittybilt SRC front bumper, Superwinch TS9500 winch, M.O.R.E. oil pan/trans skid, Skid Row exhaust loop skid, Dominion evap relocation,*Smittybilt Oversized Tiire Carrier and Cibie headlights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 03-24-2014, 03:33 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

We make a D Ring Shackle Mount part. 341-174 that is 3/4" thick steel and easily bolts on with supplies grade 8 bolts of which each has a 80,000 shear strength. They bolt on through the vehicle frame and through the bumper for extreme strength and durability.
You can also choice from a Front Frame Cover or recessed winch mount if your interested.
http://www.olympic4x4products.com/Je...angler-JK.html
Attached Images

post #5 of 12 Old 03-24-2014, 03:49 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

If you are interested in installing a winch you may wish to also add on our 852-174 Light Pods that relocate the lights to the front of the bumper allowing room for your winch.
http://www.olympic4x4products.com/Je...2007-2015.html
Attached Images

post #6 of 12 Old 03-25-2014, 12:37 AM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by olympic4x4products View Post
We make a D Ring Shackle Mount part. 341-174 that is 3/4" thick steel and easily bolts on with supplies grade 8 bolts of which each has a 80,000 shear strength.
Dude, no . . .

That 80,000 is psi (pounds per square inch) of shear strength, translating to about 14,000 lbs shear strength best-case at the thread root for a 1/2" grade 8 bolt.
A significant side load on these tabs with a little shock load (tow strap jerk goes a little crooked / sideways - it happens) could take the bolts beyond their limit.
On paper, these should hold up OK, but I'm looking for better than a 4:1 safety factor on a critical item like this.

I sure as hell wouldn't hook up to these to pull you out, for fear that they would snap off and act like a 12 gauge slug delivered by the stored energy in a tow strap or winch line.

(I'm allergic to concussions )

OP, if you're still looking, I would strongly advise going for the 4-bolt flange like OH9JK posted. These Olympic ones scare me.
Even if you're just looking for a place to hang pretty shackles, I still suggest getting clevises that will not fail if someone mistakes them for functional.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful

Last edited by ExWrench; 03-25-2014 at 01:02 AM.
post #7 of 12 Old 03-25-2014, 01:01 AM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Sure as hell wouldn't want to tug the demo vehicle. You guys forgot a bolt!
Attached Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #8 of 12 Old 03-25-2014, 01:09 AM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCTAZ View Post
Sure as hell wouldn't want to tug the demo vehicle. You guys forgot a bolt!
HOLY SHITBALLS!

Wow . . . and it's their photo . . .

. . . that they posted . . .

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful

Last edited by ExWrench; 03-25-2014 at 01:16 AM.
post #9 of 12 Old 03-25-2014, 04:16 PM
Granite Guru

Don't know if you're still looking for something but these may work for you. Any questions call him, the owner answers the phone. Made here in the USA!!!
http://www.atozfabrication.com/store...3&cat=0&page=2

07 Rubi Unlimited , 4.5 clayton longarm, 37" Maxxis treps, AtoZ fabrication, Genright, and Polyperformance

Last edited by steve&2jc's; 03-25-2014 at 04:18 PM.
post #10 of 12 Old 03-25-2014, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I'm actually going a different route - either the Smittybilt SRC or the Rock Hard shorty. Any recommendations?

Tyler R. - Ansonia, CT
Silver '12 JKRU
post #11 of 12 Old 04-06-2014, 01:01 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

In 40 years of wheeling I had never seen a 1/2" bolt snap off a tow hook,, let alone a grade 8 bolt. I stand behind in front of or to the side of my earlier statement regarding our Shackle Mounts. If you prefer and would be more comfortable with a welded on set up then by all means use the bolts to position the shackles mounts in place and weld them on, the option is yours. If you want to get serious than we can make you a custom Bad Ass Bumper as shown here. We are happy to weld a shackle mount to any of our bumpers for you, just ask when you order in our comments in the shopping cart or email me at [email protected] What ever you decide to buy please do buy a product made in United States.
Attached Images

post #12 of 12 Old 04-06-2014, 01:15 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

JKCATZ, that was funny pointing out the extra bolt on the fender. Please notice the color of the bolt on the fender, notice the color of the the grade 8 bolts in the image I submitted of the product. Grade 8 bolts are always gold.
That Demo vehicle just got back from Big Bear where we helped a fellow four wheeler, using that shackle mount.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode