2013 JKUR - options with stock wheels and no spacers? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 12-15-2013, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

2013 JKUR - options with stock wheels and no spacers?

Want to lift and get larger tires, but really would like to keep the stock Rubicon wheels and have read that spacers aren't a great idea. I know I'm limiting myself, big time, but any thoughts on what I can do?

I was considering a BDS 3", but also am looking at others - Teraflex 2.5, Rock Krawler 1.5 or 2.5. Local shop quoted BDS 3" and spacers with 35" tires. I also want to avoid the extras that come with higher lifting - front driveshaft issues, vibrations, etc.

If I keep the stock wheels and don't want spacers, does anyone know the max tire size I can run and what size lift would look nice with that? I know it would be a mild build, but that's what I think I want. I have a 1995 YJ that has a more aggressive lift that I can play around with. With that lift, I had to deal with the slip yoke elminator, new driveshaft, etc.

The 2013 JKUR is more of a DD, just want it to look more aggressive.

Thanks for your thoughts! I know there is a ton to read on here and I have read quite a bit, but haven't seen a build like I'm describing. Maybe with my limiting factors, I need to leave it stock?

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-15-2013, 05:17 PM
Granite Guru

The spacers are more about the change from 10.5" wide tires to 12.5" wide tires. You can get 33x10.5 but I've not seen 35x10.5.

If you want the stock rims just get some nice spacers, torque them on properly and check them when you change the oil.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-15-2013, 05:25 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

If you get spacers, getr spidertrax and use locktite. Personally, I don't think the stock rims are that great looking. Not sure how many miles you have on your stockers, but you could probably sell all 5 on CL for around $900. If you only want to go with 33's, consider 15" wheels. I ran 33x12.50-15's on my '09 Rubicon with a 2.5" Rough Country budget boost. Lots of sidewall which makes them look bigger.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Granite,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 12-16-2013, 10:50 AM
Granite Guru

I've used OEM wheels and tires on my 2010 with Spidertrax spacers since I installed the Teraflex 4" lift in SEP 2010... then put 37" Goodyear MTR/Ks on the OEM wheels last December and haven't had any problems.

You can see my Jeep in my photo album: https://www.jkowners.com/forum/album.php?albumid=3306

2010 Red Unlimited Rubicon 6 speed - Traded!

2014 Red Unlimited Rubicon X 6 speed - starting over!

Last edited by membrain; 12-16-2013 at 10:54 AM.
post #5 of 7 Old 12-16-2013, 11:22 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by varnerme View Post
I was considering a BDS 3", but also am looking at others - Teraflex 2.5, Rock Krawler 1.5 or 2.5. Local shop quoted BDS 3" and spacers with 35" tires. I also want to avoid the extras that come with higher lifting - front driveshaft issues, vibrations, etc.

You won't have to worry about driveshaft issues with a 2.5" lift. But as a suggestion you might want to make sure you are getting adjustable front lower control arms and a front track bar. They aren't necessary but they will help to set the jeep back to factory alignment after you install the lift. Basically they help the on road manners feel just like stock.
post #6 of 7 Old 12-18-2013, 12:18 PM
Wheeler

last year I had a 2012 altitude edition JKU. I installed a 2.5" RC coil and shocks lift and ran 35" x 12.5" tyres on it with no spacers. I did have a bit of rubbing at max flex but it was predictable and I could live with it.

I sold it to get a 2013 JKUR and this time i am only getting a budget spacer lift, keeping the stock wheels still, but installing spidertrax spacers.

Like someone else said, buy good quality hub centric spacers, use Loctite and check them when you rotate tyres and change oil. Spacers have theur share of haters out there but most of it is just people's opinions, not always based on factual info...

all that to say, that you can fit 35" without spacers with only a bit of lift. hope this helps.

"SOLD" 2012 JKU Altitude, 2.5" Rough country, 35" Dick Cepek FCIIs, Kargomaster Safari rack, ARB Fridge freezer, XRC rear bumper, RC hybrid stubby front bumper

2013 JKU Rubicon kargomaster roof rack, AEV front bumper, 35'' Kumho Kl71s on stock Rubi wheels, Spidertrax spacers, RC BB 2.5 lift
post #7 of 7 Old 12-20-2013, 08:05 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by membrain View Post
I've used OEM wheels and tires on my 2010 with Spidertrax spacers since I installed the Teraflex 4" lift in SEP 2010... then put 37" Goodyear MTR/Ks on the OEM wheels last December and haven't had any problems.

You can see my Jeep in my photo album: https://www.jkowners.com/forum/album.php?albumid=3306
Quote:
This album does not have any pictures.
I'd also like some more opinions on this. I happen to like my stock wheels better than about any aftermarket ones out there. The exception being AEV overpriced wheels, but I think I like them because they look close to stock...

'12 White JKUR

Rugged Ridge Modular XD bumper w/9500 winch
2 1/2 inch Mopar Lift
35" Pitbull tires
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode