Need to learn CO2 Basics - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 12-12-2013, 06:30 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Need to learn CO2 Basics

I'd like to buy a kit because I'm lazy and don't want to piece something together. Basically looking to get a few wheeling trips out of a tank. 35x12.50-17's.

What do I need to know?

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Granite,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 12-12-2013, 07:28 AM
JKO Addict!

I have a Powertank kit and I have been very pleased with it.

08 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon: lift, wheels/tires, bumpers, skids, sliders, winch, lights, cb. All the normal stuff, plus some.......
Build thread:

post #3 of 27 Old 12-12-2013, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotlime? View Post
I have a Powertank kit and I have been very pleased with it.
What size tank did you get?

, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 12-12-2013, 07:46 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

I found this on the PowerTank site

, Granite,
post #5 of 27 Old 12-12-2013, 08:29 AM
Rock God

Powertank, also, 15 pounder.
It weighs 40-ish lbs when full. That's tank, reg, hose, boot and handle. A bit over 20lbs when empty.

Their website breaks down the capacity/capability of the various tank sizes.

I get my PT15 refilled at a welding shop, $14.

Initially bought it and used it for portable air power as opposed to using it for airing up...I don't air down much in my WJ. I was changing tires on my race bike...seating beads, running the air gun for axle bolts/nuts and topping off the desired tire psi. Considering the PT15 will run a 1/2" impact gun for 20 minutes straight(who needs it for more than a few seconds?), it lasted quite a while. Every race weekend was at least one complete tire changing evolution. Prolly woulda made it through near a dozen events for the season w/o refill but I didn't start with a full tank.

Floor mount bracket bolted just inside the sidedoor of my cargo/race trailer kept it convenient, secure and out of the way...transfers easily to garage duty at home.
Love it.

Oh, yeah...it airs up big tires, too. A lot of 'em.
post #6 of 27 Old 12-13-2013, 11:00 PM
Rock God

Garage

Have a PowerTank PT10 in my unlimited and am very happy with it. (See my build thread for pics). Mounting can be a challenge if you have a soft top, because of the bows. Just about have to mount it where it's going to be in the way.

I bought Poison Spyder's c-pillar kit and mounted it to the upright, but it "just" fits. On a 2 door though, you might be able to mount it to the upright on the back of the cage. A PT15 will be big enough you'll be even more limited on mounting options.

I run at 28 PSI on the road and usually air down to about 12 -- that's on 37s. Never have run out on the trail, but I always run by my favorite welding supply for a top-off before I go. Fill from empty is between $15 and $20. Customer service is GREAT at PowerTank too. Great guys to deal with.

If you go that route, spring for the deluxe fill chuck with the gauge, will make tire refills a lot smoother.

My Build Thread:

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:

Last edited by UnlimiDozer; 12-13-2013 at 11:03 PM.
post #7 of 27 Old 12-14-2013, 05:25 AM
JKO Addict!

I'm just going to pretend not to have read your post and say that you should build your own. I bought a new 10# aluminum tank from a beverage supply site for $80, a fixed regulator ($40) and bracket ($???) from Synergy, and a coiled air line ($10 maybe), and fill it for $12. All in, about $160 bucks for a great 10# setup. Powertank is WAY proud of their shit, if I remember right the same setup from them is $350-400 or something. Doesn't make a lick of sense to go that route unless you like pissing money away, and if you like to do that just send me the $400 and I'll send you a 'Powertank'.

If you decide to build your own, PM me and I'll hook you up with the sources.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
post #8 of 27 Old 12-14-2013, 06:25 AM
Rock God

^^^^follow this guys advice...I built my own with a 20# tank for just under $150.00

post #9 of 27 Old 12-14-2013, 08:03 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADGER View Post
I'm just going to pretend not to have read your post and say that you should build your own. I bought a new 10# aluminum tank from a beverage supply site for $80, a fixed regulator ($40) and bracket ($???) from Synergy, and a coiled air line ($10 maybe), and fill it for $12. All in, about $160 bucks for a great 10# setup. Powertank is WAY proud of their shit, if I remember right the same setup from them is $350-400 or something. Doesn't make a lick of sense to go that route unless you like pissing money away, and if you like to do that just send me the $400 and I'll send you a 'Powertank'.

You could share those publicly this ain't JKF....

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

www.4x4s-pod.com
post #10 of 27 Old 12-14-2013, 07:44 PM
Granite Guru

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/b...-cost-1208163/
Prices might be a little out dated, this is what I followed

16 JKU Sport
RK 3.5 X Factor, UD 60's, Atlas T Case 4.3:1,
TR Bead locks with Toyo Open Country MT's,
VKS Bumpers and Sliders. EVO Skins,
PSC Hydro on Synergy Steering,
Fox Shocks and Bumps
"40's Baby!"
2011 JKU RUBI "SOLD"
post #11 of 27 Old 12-14-2013, 10:41 PM
Rock God

Two points in that info aren't correct nor completely helpful. Not knockin' the info so much as allowing that it's not gospel. (I didn't read it all).

1) If you want to run an air gun, do you want it being pushed with 150psi from a static regulator? With the depth at which the other aspects were covered, coverage of adjustable regulators woulda been a plus.

2) The tank pressure is not a constant 800psi until it's empty. It varies with temperature and the percentage of fill. Typically, you will see near 900psi on a fresh charge.
Generally, your refills are 70-75% max which is a good thing on the side of safe. A 100% fill will begin to skyrocket in pressure above 88. Either way, not to worry if you have a proper set-up; A) they have a safety blow-off valve, B) the bottles are rated beyond 2000psi.
As the fill gets used, you will see a slow decrease in tank pressure down to 700-ish psi. When you get there, start looking for a refill. It will more quickly decrease with the same usage down to 650-ish. At that point, you won't be airing up but you could set a tire or two that may be running a few psi low.
Then it's dead.
post #12 of 27 Old 12-15-2013, 05:15 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fklein6768 View Post
You could share those publicly this ain't JKF....
10-4....

First go <<< HERE >>>

Then go <<< HERE >>>

Then find yourself a coiled high pressure air line, I found mine locally at Harbor Freight or something.

And optionally a mounting bracket. Poly Performance used to sell a nice bracket and line that were non-Powertank (in other words less expensive) but it looks like they stopped.

Get it filled, done. Unless, as mentioned, you want to run air tools. Then you'll need to cough up 80-ish bucks for an adjustable regulator. If you're feeling all self-conscious about your bare aluminum tank, you can paint it and even throw one of them fancy Powertank handles on it and impress your mall crawling buddies.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
post #13 of 27 Old 12-15-2013, 07:17 AM
Wheeler

i bought the power tank setup, but have since swapped to an exchange program at my local gas supplier. the power tank regulator is awesome because of its dual gauge and the ability to adjust pressure. who wants to fill a bike tire at 150psi?

local swap is 20 bucks after having a tank (90 bucks)
post #14 of 27 Old 12-15-2013, 07:48 AM
Rock God

Built mine too...

...Then sold it for like $270 or so. Used a $40 Ploly reg, though this time I am usinng a 100psi Wilson unit since I have no air at my house.

Skip the HF air hose, you want something good for at least 300psi that wont explode due to the temp. You can find them online in different colors from $12.

Forget shiny bottles, most places exchange bottles unless you sign up for CO2 delivery like the restuarants do now.

I think I have $130 in my current setup, not counting mounting and paint.

Soon to be a vendor!!!
Looking for a good Rat Rod JK donor vehicle.
post #15 of 27 Old 12-15-2013, 08:09 AM
Rock God

I have a tank system that I used for a while but between messing with the room it took, strapping it down safely, the hassle getting it filled and worrying about it running out after a few uses, I went back to using a pump. I was one of the lucky ones that got the Smittybilt pump for $25.

The tank worked very well but before you invest the money, check around and make sure that you have a welding shop or someone convenient who will fill it for you. Some shops will only swap out tanks and others only fill on certain days and require you to leave the tank for several days. I've moved around quite a bit and some cities were easy to get a refill/top-off while you wait and some towns just sucked. (and were expensive)

2007 Rubi Unlimited. Teraflex 2.5 lift + Fox shocks, Nitto Trail Grappler 35s on XD Addicts, 5.38s, Ten Factory rear shafts, Riddler diff covers, Purejeep front axle truss and Teraflex gussets, Tatton front driveline, Rugged Ridge Modular front bumper with XRC8 Comp winch, Superchips programmer, Volant intake, MBRP exhaust, Hella H4 headlight conversion, Body Armor "not so Extreme" Rock Rails, in-cab winch control,Best Top Trek Top.-Sold
post #16 of 27 Old 12-15-2013, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:

Makes perfect sense.

So find a welding shop that fills bottles or does exchange. I used to get O2 and Acetylene bottles swapped out all the time when I was a heavy equipment mechanic. Would if be better just to get a 10lb welding O2 tank? I want to get a regulator that I can adjust.

, Granite,

Last edited by BigMike; 12-15-2013 at 08:49 AM.
post #17 of 27 Old 12-15-2013, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Poly still sells the mounting bracket.

http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/...unt-p-296.html

Put the regulator on the Poly valve. 150psi in ----> adjustable psi

, Granite,

Last edited by BigMike; 12-15-2013 at 08:57 AM.
post #18 of 27 Old 12-15-2013, 11:52 AM
Granite Guru

I have 5 and 10# bottles but can't find the things to protect the valve.

Ideally it would be a clamp on deal as I exchange bottles.

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
post #19 of 27 Old 12-15-2013, 04:15 PM
JKO Addict!

I just went and looked and I'm not as cheap or dumb as I first appeared to be. It's a Viair branded line. Still cheap in price at 12-ish bucks.

As far as filling goes, luckily I have a shop nearby that fills your own bottle while you wait. Nothing wrong with exchange programs, but I like to keep and maintain my own bottle since I know how it's been handled and treated. Some places don't offer that as an option though.

-Milton Friedman
post #20 of 27 Old 12-15-2013, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
I just went and looked and I'm not as cheap or dumb as I first appeared to be. It's a Viair branded line. Still cheap in price at 12-ish bucks.

As far as filling goes, luckily I have a shop nearby that fills your own bottle while you wait. Nothing wrong with exchange programs, but I like to keep and maintain my own bottle since I know how it's been handled and treated. Some places don't offer that as an option though.
What kind of places fill tanks?

, Granite,
post #21 of 27 Old 12-15-2013, 05:50 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike View Post
I go to a local fire extinguisher place and get it filled while I wait. $14. 10lb tank
post #22 of 27 Old 12-15-2013, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRubiconLJ View Post
I go to a local fire extinguisher place and get it filled while I wait. $14. 10lb tank
A FE place can fill it with O2?

, Granite,
post #23 of 27 Old 12-15-2013, 07:01 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Quote:
Yup. The welding place told me as well so I asked aorund my club and below is who they all use as well. Many of the welding supply places around here were bought up by one company and they no longer fill at satellite locations. They have 2 places and don't do walk ins and they only exchange with a few day wait.

This is who I use locally:

http://www.koetterfire.com/

Last edited by RedRubiconLJ; 12-16-2013 at 07:14 AM.
post #24 of 27 Old 12-16-2013, 09:12 AM
Made in the U.S.A.

Garage

Quote:
O2 or CO2?

I get my CO2 tank filled at a local fire extinguisher place.

GenRight Off-Road - Genuine Ideas Engineered Right
4535 Runway Street, Simi Valley, California 93063
805-584-8635

/
/
/
/

post #25 of 27 Old 12-16-2013, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenRight Off Road View Post
O2 or CO2?

I get my CO2 tank filled at a local fire extinguisher place.
Do you get it filled with CO2 or O2? What's the difference (besides Carbon)? I was serious when I said I need to know the basics. Thanks!

, Granite,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode