HELP! Jeep Won't Turn Left - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 12-01-2013, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Angry HELP! Jeep Won't Turn Left

Hi Guys -

New 2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited owner as of Friday (2 days ago). I drove the Wrangler Unlimited home from a Mercedes Benz dealer. It was a trade in with 4K miles on it in excellent condition. Before I left the dealership, they performed an alignment and inspection on the vehicle.

After driving it home 2 hours, and as I approached my home, I took a right turn at a traffic light, felt the wheels slip a little, and before I knew it, I was losing control of the vehicle and could not course-correct my right turn. The jeep's front wheels were locked in a "right turn" position and would not turn left no matter how hard I tried to turn the wheel left. Had to have it towed back to the dealer.

The dealer will be looking at it Monday - but my question is what could this be??? I NEVER put the Jeep in 4WD. AAA tow truck guys said they've never seen anything like it. They looked under the Jeep and saw nothing bent or hanging, everything looked good to them.

Please help, would love your take on this - first time Jeep owner that isn't too auto savvy!

Thanks,

Urbana_Red
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 12-01-2013, 05:38 PM
Granite Guru

Any pics of the steering components?

2012 JKU Altitude
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
post #3 of 22 Old 12-01-2013, 05:41 PM
Granite Guru

Its just mad because you have Lopro tires on a jeep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 12-01-2013, 05:42 PM
Rock God

Probably something binding up in the steering gear box. My old 2011 did this one time in a parking garage. I was able to crank the steering wheel hard and it popped past where it was binding. I drove it another 6 month's and it didn't happen again.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 22 Old 12-01-2013, 05:43 PM
Granite Guru

Steering shaft fell off maybe???? That's weird.

Sean
post #6 of 22 Old 12-01-2013, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Sorry, no other pics, including pics of steering components.

I'm really trying to see if some of the members can help me gauge how serious the problem may be and if I should consider nixing this car deal I made 2 days ago (if at all possible). I know I'm not giving you guys much as far as pictures go, sorry.

Not sure if anyone has seen this or is able to provide an educated guess on the seriousness of the issue. Just want to make sure I don't get screwed over! It still has the balance of a 3-yr factory warranty.
post #7 of 22 Old 12-01-2013, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxrangerxx View Post
Its just mad because you have Lopro tires on a jeep.
I deserved it foxrangerxx. Got a decent deal on the Wrangler, couldn't pass it up! Will be replacing tires soon. Would rather have stock to tell you the truth vs. these.
post #8 of 22 Old 12-01-2013, 05:53 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbana_Red View Post
Sorry, no other pics, including pics of steering components.

I'm really trying to see if some of the members can help me gauge how serious the problem may be and if I should consider nixing this car deal I made 2 days ago (if at all possible). I know I'm not giving you guys much as far as pictures go, sorry.

Not sure if anyone has seen this or is able to provide an educated guess on the seriousness of the issue. Just want to make sure I don't get screwed over! It still has the balance of a 3-yr factory warranty.
It will be hard for us to gauge how serious it is without pictures or anything.

If you like the Jeep and got a good deal then have them replace whatever is wrong and keep it. If you just got it 2 days ago then I'd expect them to cover it.
post #9 of 22 Old 12-01-2013, 05:59 PM
Granite Guru

I had a similar problem with my rig, wouldn't turn left at all. It was due to a taco'd tie-rod and a bent trac bar. Like others have said, could very possibly be the steering components.

"Drink your school. Stay in drugs. Don't do milk."
~SoCo

"Not that I'm an elitist or anything, I just get sick of waving to soccer moms and getting nothing back."
~ Shammy O'Shea
post #10 of 22 Old 12-01-2013, 06:09 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavallini03 View Post
It will be hard for us to gauge how serious it is without pictures or anything.

If you like the Jeep and got a good deal then have them replace whatever is wrong and keep it. If you just got it 2 days ago then I'd expect them to cover it.
^^^this

2012 JKU Altitude
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
post #11 of 22 Old 12-01-2013, 06:20 PM
JKO Addict!

Luckily these steering systems aren't complicated. Have the dealer replace the steering gearbox and definitely inspect the u-joints. I doubt the dealer balks too much if the steering is still in fact locked up, if they do, go to Chrysler/Jeeps customer service line and be ready to complain.

Oh and the low-pros definitely contributed to it.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #12 of 22 Old 12-01-2013, 09:53 PM
Granite Guru

A failure in the steering box or on the steering stabilizer.

I dented a stabilizer enough to do this.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
post #13 of 22 Old 12-02-2013, 06:33 AM
Rock God

Garage

It's possible that it's the stabilizer shock's clamp. if it were loose enough to slide in one direction but lock when going the other.. Here's to hoping it's that easy.

_
'76 CJ-7, '43 CJ-2a, '78 Bronco,'78 CJ-7, '75 CJ-5, '78 CJ-7, '80 CJ-7, '78 SJ, '79 SJ, '78 and a '76 FJ-40 , '90 XJ, '91 XJ, '86 CJ-7, '95 ZJ, '68 CJ-101 Commando, '00 TJ, '68 M-715, 2 '86 Military Blazers, '96 LR Discovery, '86 CJ-7, '91 YJ, '99 TJ, 07' JKU Rubi, 1988 YJ, 1973 Commando, 3 Diesel Excursions....
Now back to a 2013 JKU Rubicon with "stuff", planning 37's with minimal lift.

I've tried them all... Jeeps are still the best. (0||||0)
post #14 of 22 Old 12-02-2013, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

Hey Guys -

Thanks for all of the advice for a JK newbie. Appreciate it! Will hear back from the dealer today to see what the problem was.

Urbana_Red
post #15 of 22 Old 12-02-2013, 08:44 AM
Rock God

Don't worry should be a easy fix.
post #16 of 22 Old 12-02-2013, 09:08 AM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Wonder if it might have something to do with the steering wheel locking mechanism OR you have a far right conservative jeep that doesn't like the left.

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved 2015
post #17 of 22 Old 12-02-2013, 09:19 AM
Granite Guru

I had a shop do an alignment and they decided to loosen the steering stabilizer clamp for some dumb reason and tightened it after the bracket shifted. Multiple of their brand shops couldn't figure it out. Took me 5 minutes to figure out just by looking at it. Made sure to write a letter to their company explaning that Jeeps are one of the easiest vehicles to work on and that their techs treat it like is some kind of rare unknown vehicle. Hope the dealer finds it and fixes it quick.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2010 JKU Sahara
Teraflex 2.5 Coil Lift w/ 9550 Shocks
Teraflex Quick Disconnects
Moto Metal 17" 950s
Nitto Trail Grapplers 35x12.5x17
Superchips Flashpaq
post #18 of 22 Old 12-02-2013, 09:39 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
drove home from Mercedes Benz dealer. Before I left they performed an alignment and inspection on the vehicle.

Wow. Something tells me they didn't even do an alignment or an inspection before you picked it up. If they work on Mercedes they should be a little more adept than the average dealer and a thorough inspection should have included a test drive by the tech putting it through its paces before handing you the keys.

My suggestion would be to have them reinspect it with you by their side while they go through EVERYTHING. If they missed something as simple as a jeeps steering system who knows what else they overlooked. If they find something easy like a loose pitman arm nut or a loose stabilizer bar clamp then that will tell you right there they didn't do shit.

From there I'd request to have it further inspected by your mechanic or perhaps a local Chrysler dealership (reluctantly) who at least sees these rigs on a daily basis and might be able to just double check their inspection.

Chances are it's only something simple but it could be a bad gearbox, stripped sector shaft or other steering components failed. Good luck today!

Originally Posted by van7559
I can bury my pinky in the rear, and just barley feel it, the front is a little easier, but still seems low to me!

I fist fuck life with a nuclear powered pneumatic fuck hammer for 60, 70 hrs a week...
post #19 of 22 Old 12-02-2013, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Hi Guys - Thanks for all of your suggestions and advice on what may be wrong or what to look for/ask the dealer.

Basically, this is what the dealer told me (sorry if it doesn't make full sense - He's a sales guy and I'm not auto savvy)

A steering bracket came loose and the steering moved. Since this happened, the shock absorber went to full extension and stayed that way. This made the wheels lock in the right-hand position and stay stuck.

The dealer is replacing all of the steering components that I mentioned and will test drive it so they ensure this doesn't happen again. Is this whole situation making sense and is it on the up and up?

PLUS - the AAA Tow Guy pulled up the E-brake and snapped the whole E-brake and broke it. Do I have the worst luck???

Thanks guys!!

Urbana_Red
post #20 of 22 Old 12-02-2013, 12:23 PM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

steering stabilizer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #21 of 22 Old 12-02-2013, 02:15 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
steering stabilizer.
I had the exact same problem and it was the steering stabilizer. I unbolted the stabilizer and it worked fine. replaced it and haven't had a problem since.
post #22 of 22 Old 12-02-2013, 02:41 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
PLUS - the AAA Tow Guy pulled up the E-brake and snapped the whole E-brake and broke it. Do I have the worst luck???
Urbana_Red
Same thing happened to mine, except I was the one who broke it just by setting it. JK parking brakes are extremely notorious for being unreliable and breaking all the time. It should be covered by the dealership!

"Drink your school. Stay in drugs. Don't do milk."
~SoCo

"Not that I'm an elitist or anything, I just get sick of waving to soccer moms and getting nothing back."
~ Shammy O'Shea

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode