Cold starts - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 12-01-2013, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Cold starts

I noticed now that it's getting colder in the north east my jeep taps when I start it. it taps about 4-6 times and it only does it when the engine is cold from sitting all nite or after work. I just changed the oil (5-20) and it still does it. Has anyone had this issue? If so what can I do to remedy this?
Thanks

Sent via -
National Security Administration.
Sub Sector 69.
Division - A.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-01-2013, 05:08 PM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

If you means taps, kinda like a sewing machine ?

Then yeah, mine does it during every cold start for a few seconds until the oil circulates and warms up. Being in the northeast also, but it will even do it during warmer temps if the rig has sat for a few days which is pretty common.

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #3 of 12 Old 12-01-2013, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

It sounds like a lifter or valve. I went to a auto parts store and they gave me a product from Lucas oils for cold starts. It was a thick additive. And it still taped the next morning.
I just can't emagine that the taping can be good for the valve trane

Sent via -
Sub Sector 69.
Division - A.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 12-01-2013, 06:06 PM
TOK
Wheeler

If you don't want to go to the trouble of a block heater or pre-oiler, you can get a pad that goes on the oil pan and warms the oil. Won't get you heat quick like a block heater either, but will maybe let oil circulate faster.

I have no experience with these, but it seems to be a pretty simple and inexpensive solution.

http://www.fivestarmanufacturing.com/Kat_s

EDIT: Didn't realize that took you to all types of heaters... The silicone pad heater was the one I was referring to.
Reading the application chart for other stuff led me to this, its the block heater for the Pentastar. I'm kind of interested in this, does anybody already have one?

http://ecustomhitch.com/i-15703005-k...cartridge.html

Last edited by TOK; 12-01-2013 at 06:28 PM.
post #5 of 12 Old 12-06-2013, 09:51 AM
Rock God

Warmer oil at startup might help circulate a bit faster, but won't fix this. You ideally need an oil filter with a well designed anti-drain back valve in it. This keeps all the oil after the filter from draining back through the filter into the crank case over night.

My JK does it too in the mornings. I can only recall one filter holding enough oil in the passages to avoid the tap, but can't remember what brand it was... maybe Bosch. Any other filter I've used still lets the oil drain back too quickly.
post #6 of 12 Old 12-06-2013, 03:52 PM
TOK
Wheeler

I don't know what year the original posters Jeep is... If its a Pentastar, I read the '14 incorporates the anti-drainback into the filter/housing, but its different than the 2012-13. Wonder if the filter base in in the block is easily switchable?
post #7 of 12 Old 12-06-2013, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Sorry. Forgot to add. It's a 2010.

After doing more research, I picked up a Fram filter with the anti drain back valve. It better work for the price. $10.. Lol
I'll keep y'all up to date after I put it on

Sent via -
Sub Sector 69.
Division - A.
post #8 of 12 Old 12-06-2013, 05:08 PM
Rock God

Garage

The anti drain back filter doesn't help when it gets in the negatives. Mine has never tapped till this morning.
Was-12 last night and mine almost wouldn't start. Clacked like hell and power steering pump started groaning real bad.
I need to invest in a block heater. Jeep was used to down south weather not North Pole coldness!

You smell that?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 12 Old 12-08-2013, 07:29 PM
Wheeler

engine tap at cold start is a common thing for any vehicle that starts in a cold climate. I live in North Dakota and yesterday morning it was -16 degrees and a -37 degree wind-chill. My Jeep was in a unheated garage but it was still -9 in the garage. Engine tap is common if you don't use a full synthetic oil for cold climate conditions, Full synthetic oil stays flowable in extreme cold. Or you can install a engine block heater, that will keep your antifreeze warm but your oil will still be cold but will help some. Some people swear by synthetic and some swear by conventional, all personal preference. I run conventional oil even in the extreme cold where I live.
post #10 of 12 Old 12-09-2013, 01:40 AM
Rock God

Garage

Where I live, cold starts are the norm from about November till March. Today it was about 15 degrees Fahrenheit without the windchill. I don't live in a really cold part of Canada, since our weather is regulated by the Bay and the ocean. But I've noticed the light tapping for about 2 seconds too, since this is my first winter with the JK. I can't imagine that it is all that great for the motor, but it won't do any damage. Just make sure that the oil is up and try to give the Jeep a few minutes to warm up before you do any driving. I like to give mine about 5 mins to warm, after that I'll drive it really easy till it gets up to operating temperature. Remember that everything is cold; engine, transmission, diffs...so be nice to it until everything gets proper lubrication.

2011 Sahara Tan 2dr Rubicon
Rock Krawler Stock Mod w/ Fox Evolution 2.0's - 36 X 12.5 X 15" Interco TSL's on Black Steel wheels - Rock Krawler track bars front and back - Poison Spyder Customs BFH front bumper w/ Brawler bar - Warn HS9500i winch w/ synthetic rope - Trail Head Deflators - Viair 440P Compressor Instagram: jeepethan
post #11 of 12 Old 12-09-2013, 02:39 AM
JKO Addict!

Same, my 07 is pretty dam quiet except for the minor noises when cold.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #12 of 12 Old 12-11-2013, 10:20 AM
Granite Guru

I have had the same problem with my 09. I have tried a few things like diff weight oil and diff filter. I have found that the NAPA Gold filter is the best and is all I run on my jeep now as well as mobil1 oil. I still get the tapping when it's really cold but not when it's warm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode