Guy has everything. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 98 Old 11-28-2013, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Guy has everything.

Let's say you have a new JK coming(2dr, half-door) and you're in an enviable position to outfit it to the tits. Not necessarily a project, all bolt-on.
Bumpers/winch
Skids/rockers
Axles(complete w/ brakes)
Lift
Tires/wheels/flares/air
Performance
Tops
Dropdown tailgate/bed mount tire carrier
BedTred/slushmats
Seats
Shift knobs
CB
Lights
Lockable storage
Mirrors/footpegs/grab bars/hood latches

This will be a DD/WW. What's left to do, even the little things?

I ask cuz I may be in the position to make it so at the git-go and anything desired afterwards will be like yankin' teeth...even the little things.

I'm a function-over-form kinda guy so, please, don't hit me up with useless bling. Serious, makes a difference stuff whether it's for your comfort, ease of use, integration of components, etc.

If I'm gonna get a whole cake with the icing, I can't add candles afterwards.

Last edited by funfred; 11-28-2013 at 09:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 98 Old 11-28-2013, 09:07 PM
JKO Addict!

If money is no option...

Poison Spyder / Warn Zeon
Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers
Dynatrac PR60 front and rear
3.5" Rock Krawler with coilovers, stretch kit, longarms
40" Nittos/Toyo, 17" Spiderlock beadlocks, Poison Spyder front narrow fenders
Ripp supercharger, LS, Hemi, etc.
Stock soft top with Spiderweb Shade
No/No
LineX, Raptor, etc interior floor
50" Rigid E-Series

2012 Jeep Wrangler - Gecko
3.5" Rock Krawler X Factor
40x13.5 Nitto Mud Grapplers / 17" Fuel Hostage
Poison Spyder Brawler Lite / Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers
Poison Spyder RockBrawler w/ Tire Carrier

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
and yet... canada still sucks worse

we'd make fun of your prime minister if we could... unfortunately nobody's ever heard of him!
post #3 of 98 Old 11-28-2013, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Allow me to clarify. That list is the stuff already taken care of.
What else is left to do? Cameras are the only thing I can think of at the moment.

What's a No/No? Search didn't help.

Last edited by funfred; 11-28-2013 at 09:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 98 Old 11-28-2013, 11:53 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by funfred View Post
Allow me to clarify. That list is the stuff already taken care of.
What else is left to do? Cameras are the only thing I can think of at the moment.

I think he meant no drop down tailgate, no in bed tire carrier. That's the order it appears on your list.

Didn't notice seat covers (checked again and saw seats, but . . .). Trek Armor ones are high quality, get great comments from everyone I've heard comment, and add versatility with the MOLLE mounting system.

For air, I like the powertank, although mounting can be a challenge with a soft top.

I like the Star Manufacturing JK Smart Door system. If you're on a slope very much, it keeps the doors from beating the crap outta ya.

Would also consider adding a cage kit. Personally, I like the Poison Spyder one. Others have their favorites as well and there are several to choose from, with their own arguments as to why theirs is best.

SPOD for making it easy to add those LEDs, etc.

All I can think of right now . . .

My Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
post #5 of 98 Old 11-29-2013, 12:19 AM
Wheeler

Stereo upgrade - speakers and amps - I won't suggest any particular equipment as it is a personal choice and there are tons of decent options, but if you want to hear your tunes over the roar of the tires with the top down as a daily driver, it's worth the investment. Other than that, it looks like you have it pretty well covered.
post #6 of 98 Old 11-29-2013, 03:53 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimiDozer View Post
I think he meant no drop down tailgate, no in bed tire carrier. That's the order it appears on your list.
Ha. Totally missed that.

I have no use for a tire/wheel hangin' in the breeze just waitin' to cave in my tailgate and tweak my tub when some ditzshit soccermom rearends me.
The real reason is weight...centralization and reduction.
The in-bed mount will be part of a trunk system.

The dropdown? I've yet to see one pick-up, blazer, bronco, ramcharger or other useful utility vehicle with a swinggate.
Dumbest design idea ever. Just fucking stupid. (One of the things that kept me from a Wrangler in the first place all those many years ago).

Stereo? Meh. I have Bowers & Wilkins at home I don't listen to...
Also don't care about Connectivity, Sirius, GPS, etc.
Aside from my lack of need for a RockTrac or e-discos, another reason I won't be gettin' a Rubicon is the subwoofer. Just takin' up space and I'm not in "used parts retail". The front axle will be addressed.
Thanks for the thought tho'.

Last edited by funfred; 11-29-2013 at 03:56 AM.
post #7 of 98 Old 11-29-2013, 05:56 AM
Rock God

Quote:

Abacabb thinks you have a body hair problem

2010 JKUR, 4" Pro C., 3/4" f Daystar spacer, 5.38's, EVO sleeve/gusset/custom trussed, Rear Ten Factory axle shafts, 1.5" wheel spacers, Pro C. 17 x 9 wheels, 38 x 14.50 x 17 MTR's, SuperChip FP, no fenders, B&M Tranny cooler, Magnaflow, Fr./ Rr. frame hacked off, HD Balls

29,000 miles as of 12/13/14
post #8 of 98 Old 11-29-2013, 06:35 AM
Granite Guru

Better cage or slight exo cage?

Sent with Autoguide while watching chicks get naked.

2012 Wrangler Unlimted Sahara SOLD
2012 Toyota 4runner Trail Edition
2in lift,KDSS, 285/70/17 Terragrapplers.
2010 Mustang GT
5spd, glass roof..loaded
SLP Loudmouth axle backs and Roush CAI..wifeys ride.

Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda
With aerodynamics like a barn and the rolling resistance of a tank can only do so well.
post #9 of 98 Old 11-29-2013, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

I have no intentions of rolling, but I had no intentions of rolling my XJ, either.

A cage is something I should look into but I don't think I'm interested in any exo-types and I doubt any of the other types would be worth a shit if there wasn't welding and/or serious drilling involved. Again, something I'm not interested in. However, if there were options that utilized the stock cage mountings...
I don't know much about cages.

One of the things I failed to mention was an overhead center console. A cage could make that a no brainer.

As it has to do with cages, without going through the dash, would they add that much more safety over the stocker? If so, any other benefits?
How much do they interfere with the front footwells? And, what about door uppers?(I'll be driving in the winter).

Abacabb thinks you have a body hair problem- 10jk
I do. It all fell out.
post #10 of 98 Old 11-29-2013, 07:28 AM
Granite Guru

Do the 2dr jks have the cubby hole under the rear floor? At one point I was toying with the notion of cutting mine to put a compressor in the floor with quick disconnects in the floor and a cage underneath to protect it.

Sent with Autoguide while watching chicks get naked.

2012 Wrangler Unlimted Sahara SOLD
2012 Toyota 4runner Trail Edition
2in lift,KDSS, 285/70/17 Terragrapplers.
2010 Mustang GT
5spd, glass roof..loaded
SLP Loudmouth axle backs and Roush CAI..wifeys ride.

Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda
With aerodynamics like a barn and the rolling resistance of a tank can only do so well.
post #11 of 98 Old 11-29-2013, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Couldn't tell ya...I'm in the "fund appropriations" segment of ownership.
It's not that the money isn't there, I just have to account for every dollar before the funds get "released". It's a tooth pullin' exercise and I ain't no dentist.
However, if it does, that's also the kinda info I'm looking for. Where are the unused nooks-n-crannies?
One that I'm trying to fill is the recesses for the tailgate hinge. With a dropgate, it leaves those unused and they're pretty solid mounting points for something else.

Last edited by funfred; 11-29-2013 at 07:49 AM.
post #12 of 98 Old 11-29-2013, 08:01 AM
Wheeler

Lockers?
post #13 of 98 Old 11-29-2013, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

I'm not a crawler, more of an overlander, so TrueTracs, actually. In with the Axles on the list along with gears, RCVs, Hi Steer, etc. I still have to work out the details...how much lift requiring how much other componentry and whose. Leaning towards AEV and Dynatrac. Will be rolling on 34s.

Driveshafts are a question. I'm thinking they'll be my weak link but for good reason. Sacrificial, easier to repair/replace. If the lift stays mild, 2.5"-3", I think the stockers will suffice.

Last edited by funfred; 11-29-2013 at 08:23 AM.
post #14 of 98 Old 11-30-2013, 10:29 AM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to DiscoBayJoe

Quote:
The dropdown? I've yet to see one pick-up, blazer, bronco, ramcharger or other useful utility vehicle with a swinggate.
Dumbest design idea ever. Just fucking stupid. (One of the things that kept me from a Wrangler in the first place all those many years ago).
BinksFab rocked it on mine. All Aluminum and looks factory. I had already wrecked the factory gate (dragged the spare tire down a rock, it peeled back like a sardine can). Money better be no object, as it wasn't cheap! Since your in PA, I'd go hit up RiverRaider for something similar.

2008 JKUR 3.5" Frankenlift : RK/Artec/Synergy/Reid/Currie/PSC - Spyder'd Out - 35" MTR/K's on Spyderlocks - BinksFab Tailgate
post #15 of 98 Old 11-30-2013, 12:03 PM
Granite Guru

Wow that tailgate is awesome!

Might I suggest a dual battery kit, very helpful for the overlanding guys.

Genesis Offroad JK Dual Battery Kit Overview - YouTube

Join us on

901-214-JEEP (5337)

post #16 of 98 Old 12-02-2013, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Binks' tailgate...classy, that's for sure.

Genesis, if all your products are that well thought out, you've got my attention.
post #17 of 98 Old 12-09-2013, 07:08 PM
Granite Guru

Yeah we tried to think through everything you could want in a battery kit. A lot of time and thought went into the design and features.

So do you know if/when your project will begin? Interested to see what you put together.

Join us on

901-214-JEEP (5337)

post #18 of 98 Old 12-09-2013, 09:19 PM
Rock God

4 or 5 point harnesses?
In cab/radio comms.
Hydraulic steering assist.

My .03 cents.

Mike
post #19 of 98 Old 12-10-2013, 07:04 AM
Rock God

Quote:

I have no use for a tire/wheel hangin' in the breeze just waitin' to cave in my tailgate and tweak my tub when some ditzshit soccermom rearends me.
The real reason is weight...centralization and reduction.
The in-bed mount will be part of a trunk system.

There is a good argument against putting the tire in the bed of a short wheel base rig like the 2 door. When the tire is on the back like it was designed to be, there is weight in the back to keep traction. When it is moved further forward people have had trouble getting traction since the weight is no longer providing leverage over the axle. Not to mention it will take up space in an already limited area for all the overland gear and other gear you will need to take along.

Can you explain why you think the swing gate is a stupid design? Just because pick ups have drop down gates doesn't mean that they are the best thing for being useful. Unless you are stretch arm strong it will make getting things in and out of the bed, including a heavy tire, a pain in the ass since you will be that much further away from what you need to remove. When the gate swings open you are right in front of what you need to take out and don't have to reach over the entire tail gate to get it. My wife and I do a lot of camping with the jeep. If she had to reach over the tail gate she would never be able to help me pack and unpack all our gear.

2008 JKUR- 3 Inch Synergy Stage III Lift, PR44, 1310 Shafts, RROR Skids, 37" MTR's, Warn 9.5Ti, Bumpers, Sliders, OBA, Lights... bla bla bla
post #20 of 98 Old 12-10-2013, 07:15 AM
Jeepineer

Garage

Having wheeled a lot with my 2door spare on a rear carrier, and flat in the back, I can say there really isnt a difference in traction/weight.... I kept digging it into the ground on drops and climbs and prefer it in the back now....

But for the love of god strap that shit down. I see do many people with it just layed down back there. Even on the street, it will kill you in an accident if it shifts around.

-Mike
2007 2dr X, 6sp, 35's on D44's, 2" lift, cage, hydro, etc.
post #21 of 98 Old 12-10-2013, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

@LILWB, these are in no way a complete pros/cons list but they do come to mind fairly quick.

Swing gate...
- Pros: easy, already there, don't have to remove the spare from inside the vehicle.
- Cons: still have to lift the spare - higher, in fact, to get it mounted. If you're parallel parked and have curbside cargo to load, guess what's in the way? If you parked on a hill facing any direction, guess what is being acted upon by gravity?

Drop gate...
- Pros: no gravitational forces trying to swing it open or closed, no obstruction to curbside loading, spare only needs to be lifted to the height of the gate, extended bed area w/o concern for a gate swinging in the breeze, flat surface for work/recreational/extended bed purposes, less worry of tagging the car behind you when opening while parallel parked, no spare to cave in the gate - potentially tweaking the tub - when rear-ended by soccer mom...I'm sure there are more.
- Cons: have to install, extra $ investment, question of fab-bers skill in engineering...I'm sure there are more.

To the rest...
A harness system has yet to be researched. My current concerns given I want aftermarket, heated seats; what issues do I incur with the factory nanny-state systems? I'm not too keen on the factory seatbelt system. It seems mounting the latch point to the seat is another stupid idea; what if a seat mount gives way? I believe the harness is desirably superior. Finding the right seat and overcoming/working with the factory "brains" is an issue to be resolved. Currently, other priorities are on the block. See below.

Hydraulic steering assist? Another system I have only vague familiarity, tho'.
I'm legally, from a technical standpoint, allowed full hydraulic steering. Some of those systems appears promising despite potential highway driving issues...more research.

In cab/radio comms.? You mean like driver/passenger headsets, or spotter/driver comms? My CB has a PA function and I plan to carry a pair of FRS radios.
I have no interest in OnStar type systems for my safety/security. If I'm gonna Darwin myself in the boonies, I'll be dead before they find me anyway.

The spare will be bolted down to the slant back of a custom, locking, bolt-down/removable, storage box. This will be the most in-depth fabricated component. There are many "incorporations" in the idea phase. It won't be cheap, so its use better be as all-encompassing as possible. If it works well enough, maybe someone will wanna buy one.

Do I know when/if my project will begin?
Ha. I wish. It prolly comes as no surprise to you vets of serious offroad builds, there's always that guy who asks all the dream build questions with no reasonable chance of ever fulfilling his end. I don't want to be that guy.
And, as y'all know, priorities and ideas change...back to the drawing board.
I've since reconsidered my lift/axle/steering wants...total game-changer. From upgrading stock axle housings to Dynatracs, and from 2.5" to 3.5-4.5", money is beginning to make this one hell of a project. I have it, the question is, will I be allowed to spend it? I don't want to end up with a stock JK that's piece-mealed over the course of ownership. I want it from the git-go to enjoy over the course of ownership. If it's gonna happen, it'll be decided by the end of the year.
It's a very delicate, ongoing negotiation. We're talking about a $50K+ Wrangler. My wife has heretofore been receptive. That, however, is not a go-ahead.
I'd say, wish me luck, but it's gonna take a lot more than that.
post #22 of 98 Old 12-10-2013, 10:27 AM
JKO Addict!

If your not worried about a cage, don't worry about 5 point Harness, because it would be tied into the cage.

JKUS Sort of
post #23 of 98 Old 12-10-2013, 11:34 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Hydraulic steering assist? Another system I have only vague familiarity, tho'.
I'm legally, from a technical standpoint, allowed full hydraulic steering. Some of those systems appears promising despite potential highway driving issues...more research.
No need for full hydro unless this becomes a dedicated trail rig. Hydro assist will do just fine...

post #24 of 98 Old 12-10-2013, 12:20 PM
JKO Addict!

Beef up the communications... Lowrance, Garmin, CB, VHF, UHF, SAT phone, etc.

Get an sPod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
OKAY FUCKMOUTH.
post #25 of 98 Old 12-10-2013, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlgrav182 View Post
Beef up the communications... Lowrance, Garmin, CB, VHF, UHF, SAT phone, etc.

Get an sPod.
Dude, I agree comms are important but I'm not going out to sea.
I might be persuaded to get a UHF to back up the optimized/tuned CB.

I haven't decided on a cage kit yet, might be semi-custom, still have research ahead. A custom overhead will likely house the radio(s) and aux switches.

Yeah, full hydro is a bit much. Thanks for the comment. I like the idea but I'm not real serious about it. "Assist" still to be looked into...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode