2016 Wrangler to ditch solid axles (?) - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 205 Old 11-28-2013, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

2016 Wrangler to ditch solid axles (?)

As you may be aware, Automotive News is reporting that the 2016 Wrangler will undergo a major diet to reduce fuel consumption. The Wrangler's rugged solid axles may be swapped for an independent suspension and steel body panels may be replaced with aluminum or SMC (sheet molded compound). I understand Wranglers are similar to GM's full size pickups for Chrysler (high profit margins), so the Wrangler is a critical model in the portfolio and not going away. The good news is that JK resale values should continue to be amazing for us. Here are 2 Wrangler concept pics, the top one being the most recent.

'13 RLR Wrangler JK Unlimited
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 205 Old 11-28-2013, 08:18 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Yes, it's been reported. I'm going to just keep mine and put bigger axles in.
post #3 of 205 Old 11-28-2013, 08:34 AM
Rock God

The factory body panels are pathetically tho in. I think composite panels would be great. That bottom concept vehicle, KILL IT WITH FIRE! Seriously, it looks like a mutant PT cruiser. Top one has potential. IFS I am leery of.

I have jeeps. I do shit to them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 205 Old 11-28-2013, 08:38 AM
Granite Guru

they have also been saying that a Jeep truck is going to be released with actual dates for the past ten years....

I just want them to come out with a new model so aftermarket parts can drop in price
post #5 of 205 Old 11-28-2013, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher View Post
they have also been saying that a Jeep truck is going to be released with actual dates for the past ten years....

I just want them to come out with a new model so aftermarket parts can drop in price
I would have a purchased a JK-8 factory pickup over my 4-door in a heartbeat if the price was reasonable. Since Chrysler also owns Ram, I doubt if we will ever see a factory Wrangler pickup.

The current JK-8 Mopar kit is way too expensive and labor intensive for me to even consider...

$5889.99
This item has an additional $469.99 shipping surcharge.

This new kit takes cues from the popular Jeep Scrambler CJ-8 from the 1980’s. Major components include a spacious 44-inch by 50-inch steel bed, inner and outer bedsides constructed from stamped sheet metal, Freedom Panel assemblies, a removable fiberglass hardtop with a sliding rear window, two fixed side windows, a fiberglass bulkhead, and JK-8 badging. The Hardtop and Freedom Panels are smooth, ready to accept your choice of color. Kit is built to order, please allow 6 to 8 months from order date.

Last edited by mini2nut; 11-28-2013 at 05:34 PM.
post #6 of 205 Old 11-28-2013, 09:55 AM
Wheeler

You know what will happen if they do go IFS. Real Jeepers will yank out all the IFS crap and put in live axles. That's just how it's done. In my opinion, if you want IFS, get a car. Live axles are a staple in Jeeps. If it isn't broke don't fix it......unless you're building more badass. Then fix the shit out of it.
post #7 of 205 Old 11-28-2013, 10:20 AM
Rock God

IFS has it's advantages and disadvantages. The argument I hear a lot is "REAL" Jeeps have solid axles and 4WD. Same theory everyone had when the 4 door and 2WD came out. The market will tell. 4 door survived, 2WD not so much. Ultra 4 cars (King of the Hammers) have proved that IFS is just as capable as solid axle in the rocks, mud and sand. It all comes down to what the soccer Moms want. There are more Mall Crawlers out there than hardcore offroaders. So it is good news for the aftermarket crowd as hardcore Jeepers will be modding the shit out of the new Jeep anyway!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 205 Old 11-28-2013, 11:09 AM
TOK
Wheeler

I think after this article was posted, another was released saying the JK's replacement was pushed back to 2018... Whatever they're doing, I think it has been delayed.

If they can get the V6 Diesel in the current JK before they destroy it, I'll be happy.
post #9 of 205 Old 11-28-2013, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Independent suspension on the next generation Wrangler is almost a given to save weight. Not a bad thing in my book with many handling/ride benefits, but hard core Jeepers will protest. The only solid axle vehicles left in North America are the Wrangler, Ford Super Duty, and the Ram 2500/3500. Here are my predictions on the next generation Wrangler:

-MPG ratings of 25 city, 31 highway
-Higher crash test ratings
-Body on frame layout will continue
-6 airbags will be standard
-Independent suspension front/rear
-Four banger DI base engine. Current 3.6 v-6 will be an option
-9 speed auto tranny
-Aluminum tub
-Clean sheet of paper high strength frame
-Fold down windshield design will be history
-Theft proof hood tie-down hood
-Off road prowess will still be excellent

Last edited by mini2nut; 11-28-2013 at 11:48 AM.
post #10 of 205 Old 11-28-2013, 11:34 AM
Granite Guru

someone will make a solid axle swap kit and make a ton of cash

Blacked out 07 JKUR, safari straps, Treadwright 35's on stock rims and Spydertrax spacers, stubbied front bumper, trimmed flares, 2" body lift, 2" spacers in front with 1" spacers in rear, Gen Right Tire carrier, more to come!
post #11 of 205 Old 11-28-2013, 11:45 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini2nut View Post
Anyone find the article on this build?

post #12 of 205 Old 11-28-2013, 11:53 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badd Andy View Post
someone will make a solid axle swap kit and make a ton of cash
Sure, but the vast majority that can't afford it will be stuck with IFS. IFS -can- be awesome if you look at tube chassis KOH or Ultra 4 racers. However, on factory platforms, they are severely limiting. Also solid axle swaps don't necessarily just rewind everything back to the way it was with a solid axle. Usually pretty substantial frame differences come along with IFS vehicles, that aren't necessarily "fixable" with a kit.

Look at the FJ Cruiser, 4x4 1/2 tons, and anyone else IFS for that matter...they hit the "limit" for lift in a hurry and with significant side effects. SAS'ing is cool, big money and not necessarily all that it once was when it came factory.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #13 of 205 Old 11-28-2013, 04:42 PM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Quote:
I would have a purchased a JK-8 factory pickup over my 4-door in a heartbeat if the price was reasonable. If they don't offer this option on the 2016 Wrangler they are making a huge marketing blunder in my book.

The current JK-8 Mopar kit is way too expensive and labor intensive for me to even consider...

$5889.99

This new kit takes cues from the popular Jeep Scrambler CJ-8 from the 1980’s. Major components include a spacious 44-inch by 50-inch steel bed, inner and outer bedsides constructed from stamped sheet metal, Freedom Panel assemblies, a removable fiberglass hardtop with a sliding rear window, two fixed side windows, a fiberglass bulkhead, and JK-8 badging. The Hardtop and Freedom Panels are smooth, ready to accept your choice of color. Kit is built to order, please allow 6 to 8 months from order date.
Jeep won't be allowed to build a truck, it would compete with dodge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #14 of 205 Old 11-28-2013, 04:49 PM
Rock God

post #15 of 205 Old 11-28-2013, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

"Jeep won't be allowed to build a truck, it would compete with dodge"

I hear you on that, a Wrangler pickup would cannibalize Ram truck sales.

post #16 of 205 Old 11-28-2013, 06:02 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

All these articles came out after allpar.com discovered through suppliers the new jeep was delayed until MY2018. I think fiat is fishing to see what people are saying. Unfortunately the masses don't really care. Seven years ago this would have been totally different. From my sources nothing has yet been decided yet.

Jason

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #17 of 205 Old 11-28-2013, 09:36 PM
Rock God

IFS rumors are the biggest reason I'm looking at a JK now.
My luck trying to get a Wrangler has been poorly timed. I'm gonna have to make it happen.

I bought a WJ in Nov '01. (rolled the XJ)
Later rumors of the Rubicon got me all flustered, then it happened.

I got in a position to secure another vehicle but it ended up being a truck.
Got in a position for another vehicle and it ended up being a 'Vette.

The whole time, I'm looking at Wranglers.
The whole time, the Wranglers kept changing...body, engines, etc.
The whole time, I'm thinkin', when is it gonna be too late?

I will not be denied!

If I am, anyone wanna help me figure out makin' a rally car with the 'Vette?
post #18 of 205 Old 11-28-2013, 10:25 PM
Rock God

Quote:
-MPG ratings of 25 city, 31 highway
-Four banger DI base engine. Current 3.6 v-6 will be an option
Current JK is rated at 16-17mpg city... An 8mpg jump is not going to happen.

3.6L Pentastar will get direct injection. Same with the 3.2L. No 4 banger.

“Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.” - Jeremy Clarkson
post #19 of 205 Old 11-29-2013, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Would love to see the 3.0 Fiat 174 hp inline 4-cylinder EcoDiesel engine that generates 295 lb-ft of torque dropped into the next generation Wrangler. It's currently an option on the brand new Ram ProMaster van.

post #20 of 205 Old 11-29-2013, 10:11 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Would love to see the 3.0 Fiat 174 hp inline 4-cylinder EcoDiesel engine that generates 295 lb-ft of torque dropped into the next generation Wrangler. It's currently an option on the brand new Ram ProMaster van.
Why the four banger instead of the 6 cylinder? Dodge really dropped the ball when they chose to not use the Cummins V8...

post #21 of 205 Old 11-29-2013, 06:08 PM
Rock God

Garage

The IFS rumors have been there each of the last two model revisions. So while anything is possible, I won't worry about it at all until credible proof surfaces. I am confident there are plenty of other things that can be done to get the fuel economy up to a point where the SFA could remain. If 2018 is the new target there is still quite a bit of development time left. We'll see how this new 9 sped auto works out. One thing that will happen as a result is that it will only get more expensive, but they seem to be selling well and $30k+ is a given these days.

2007 Redrock X two door
Auto
Hardtop
D44 rear
17" Moab wheels
32" BFG M/Ts
Rubicon Rock Rails
Airaid intake
Infinity speakers
post #22 of 205 Old 11-29-2013, 07:14 PM
JKO Addict!

If the 2014 "Cherokee" (LMAO!) is any indication, Fiat hasn't the first clue what makes a up a Jeep. The"Cherokee" (LMAO!) is actually based upon a Euro market Alfa Romeo platform that Fiat has force-fit into the Jeep lineup. Expect something similar for the JK replacement.

As for the thought that people will just swap in solid axles, all that assumes the powertrain will be similar to what's in JK. If the thing is, as we suspect it will be, based upon a FWD car platform, or utilizes a FWD powertrain, then a solid axle swap will be out of the question.

Fiat displayed a 2014 "Cherokee" (LMAO!) at last Spring's Easter Jeep Safari in Moab. It got virtually 100% negative comments from the visitors who saw it, to the point that by the end of the event Chrysler's reps wouldn't stand near it. One told me what it was based upon and that Fiat had basically told the Jeep engineers & marketing people "This is it, make it happen". The absurdity continued with Jeepers Jamboree staff attempting to get them through the Rubicon. Photos of the helpless POS's looking like Aunt Millies Subaru standing on end went viral. "Cherokee" (LMAO!) will signal the end of the Jeep brand as we always knew it. Don't sell your JK.

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.
post #23 of 205 Old 11-29-2013, 07:24 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
"Jeep won't be allowed to build a truck, it would compete with dodge"

I hear you on that, a Wrangler pickup would cannibalize Ram truck sales.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
Jeep won't be allowed to build a truck, it would compete with dodge.
Quote:
I would have a purchased a JK-8 factory pickup over my 4-door in a heartbeat if the price was reasonable. Since Chrysler also owns Ram, I doubt if we will ever see a factory Wrangler pickup.

$5889.99

Are we forgetting that GM owns Chevy? . . they both have profitable ongoing truck sales if I'm not mistaken. IMO a Wrangler pickup would be geared more as a one off Raptor . . yes I am aware they are completely different functions. There is a crowd where a huge truck is not needed. I dont think this would be poised as a traditional truck but rather as a camping/toy hauler. I can see it as an extension lineup.

Lets not forget . . .the hideous Pontiac Aztec survived 4 years with 120,000+ poor saps who bought that . . . and it still was the start of Breaking Bad. . . . And didnt have a cult-like following Jeeps have.

2009, 2 Door X, Rancho 4" Sport Lift w/ 9000xl shocks, 35" Firestone Destination MTR on Spidertrax spacers Bulldog Front Bumper w/XRC8 Winch, LoD Rear Bumper, FinishLineWest Rock Sliders, 5.13 G2's, ARB Rear diff cover, LineX'd tub, JL Clean Sweep, JL 900/5 Amp, JL C5 components in front, JL Marine MX-770's in soundbar, JL FS-110 Marine sub, Tuffy security deck, HID's in Cibie's, Piaa 520s
jk-forum, jk-forum.com jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler
post #24 of 205 Old 11-29-2013, 09:43 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK66 View Post
If the 2014 "Cherokee" (LMAO!) is any indication, Fiat hasn't the first clue what makes a up a Jeep. The"Cherokee" (LMAO!) is actually based upon a Euro market Alfa Romeo platform that Fiat has force-fit into the Jeep lineup. Expect something similar for the JK replacement.

As for the thought that people will just swap in solid axles, all that assumes the powertrain will be similar to what's in JK. If the thing is, as we suspect it will be, based upon a FWD car platform, or utilizes a FWD powertrain, then a solid axle swap will be out of the question.

Fiat displayed a 2014 "Cherokee" (LMAO!) at last Spring's Easter Jeep Safari in Moab. It got virtually 100% negative comments from the visitors who saw it, to the point that by the end of the event Chrysler's reps wouldn't stand near it. One told me what it was based upon and that Fiat had basically told the Jeep engineers & marketing people "This is it, make it happen". The absurdity continued with Jeepers Jamboree staff attempting to get them through the Rubicon. Photos of the helpless POS's looking like Aunt Millies Subaru standing on end went viral. "Cherokee" (LMAO!) will signal the end of the Jeep brand as we always knew it. Don't sell your JK.
The wrangler won't change much everyone said the same thing before the jk came out. The liberty ruined jeep blah blah blah

jason

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #25 of 205 Old 11-29-2013, 10:47 PM
Granite Guru

I don't give a crap what they do , I'll never buy a new one again anyway . Everyone who has carried the Jeep line has gone out of business and I don't care if Chrysler is next .It's just a crappy company as far as I am concerned . After my 08 JKUR takes a dump and is turned back into the beer can it was made of , I will just keep my 61 Willys wagon going like it has for over 50 years !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode