Drive shaft boot ripped - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 09-03-2007, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Drive shaft boot ripped

My front drive shaft boot got ripped off this weekend. From what I've read this is a non-serviceable item and the entire drive shaft will need to be replaced. What does this boot do? Is it really necessary?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 09-04-2007, 10:49 AM
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by seiken01 View Post
My front drive shaft boot got ripped off this weekend. From what I've read this is a non-serviceable item and the entire drive shaft will need to be replaced. What does this boot do? Is it really necessary?

The boots keeps all the dirt and water ect.. out of the cv and keeps greese ni. we have some take off drive shafts from some JK's that we have worked on if you are interested if the dealer wont warrant it
thanks
post #3 of 27 Old 09-04-2007, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy View Post
The boots keeps all the dirt and water ect.. out of the cv and keeps greese ni. we have some take off drive shafts from some JK's that we have worked on if you are interested if the dealer wont warrant it
thanks

PM sent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 09-06-2007, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seiken01 View Post
Same thing happend to me 3 weeks ago also!
post #5 of 27 Old 09-06-2007, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gergy9 View Post
Same thing happend to me 3 weeks ago also!
Did you end up replacing the drive shaft? Chrysler says the boot is a non-serviceable item
post #6 of 27 Old 10-03-2007, 10:54 PM
Wheeler

I managed to pull mine off up at Shaver Lake over the summer. Fortunately I was able to slip is back into position (with some persuasion).

You 'should' be able to get a shock boot and some hose clamps and make a cheaper fix that buying the whole thing.

Andy

SOLD: JK on AiROCK w/37's and other stuff.
post #7 of 27 Old 10-04-2007, 06:00 AM
Broker by the Minute

Garage

We made boots for our hydraulic actuators to do the same thing the little rubber boot does. We used leather and wrapped to the shape of the boot then used bailing wire to hold it on. You can even use denim fabric in a pinch. Works great, lasts for years.

So if your feeling a little McGyver mood coming on.
post #8 of 27 Old 10-04-2007, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Izzy got me one off an upgrade pull from his shop. I'm just waiting for it to come in so I can install it. Then I'll be looking at getting the old one fixed for a spare.

Last edited by seiken01; 10-04-2007 at 02:41 PM.
post #9 of 27 Old 10-04-2007, 06:55 PM

samething here

has anyone found a fix ? boot is plastic and P>O>S imo
post #10 of 27 Old 10-05-2007, 07:25 AM
Granite Guru

Happened to me first time I had the Jeep out with the lift and tires. I came up over a hilltop and heard a clunking. The boot had been ripped and was whacking something with every rotation. I just ripped the flapping peice off and left it.

2007 JK Unlimited Rubicon. Superlift 4", ProComp extreme alloys, 35" MTZ's.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 27 Old 10-09-2007, 04:30 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Mine's ripped too. New drive shafts are next on my list, so I'm just keeping an eye on it. Maybe I'll swing by the dealer and see just how lift friendly they are.
post #12 of 27 Old 10-09-2007, 07:16 PM
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to RedRockJK Send a message via Yahoo to RedRockJK

Mine tore on my first trip off road as well. After I removed the metal strap, I just left it as it was. I've wheeled it ever since with the torn boot. After the incident below, I was sort of forced to upgrade my rear driveshaft, so I went ahead and bought a front one at the same time. I'll still be able to use both stock shafts as trail spares. I'll see if I can find a proper sized boot that will replace the stock boot for the front shaft, and let everyone know where they can get one.

2007 Rubicon Unlimited: MODS: Superior 5.13 Gears, Black Diamond 3" Lift, 1" M.O.R.E. Body Lift, FT Rear Adj. Trackbar, 15x8 ION 170 wheels, 37x12.50x15 Goodyear MT/R's, Superwinch EPi9.0, Smittybilt SRC front bumper, IGGEE Black/Charcoal seat covers, relocated muffler (Magnaflow 11376).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 27 Old 10-09-2007, 08:17 PM

If anybody is interested in some new shafts shoot me a PM and i will give you the name and number to shop in my area. They will have built the same style high quality shaft as Tom Woods or JE Reel but without paying for the big name. They are running around $350 an end i believe, maybe cheaper.

DISCLAIMER: I, in no way, work for, or represent this shop and do not benefit from the sale of any parts. I am soley a fellow JK owner looking out for my fellow members. The aftermarket is scarce for us and i feel some company's are taking avantage of this by inflating their prices. Cheers!
post #14 of 27 Old 10-24-2007, 11:58 AM

Well after enough crying and whining all the way up to the GM i am getter my front drive shaft replaced under warranty. It is true that the boot clamp was changed on the 08's. THe dealer is putting on an 08 clamp on mine. So hopefully it will not break again. If it does i will be forced to go aftermarket. And if that happens i think we should all file a class action against jeep for having to upgrade a part because there's will just not work where its suppose to. Hopefully this new clamp will take care of the issue and put it to bed! I will keep you updated.
post #15 of 27 Old 10-24-2007, 02:37 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by gergy9 View Post
Well after enough crying and whining all the way up to the GM i am getter my front drive shaft replaced under warranty. It is true that the boot clamp was changed on the 08's. THe dealer is putting on an 08 clamp on mine. So hopefully it will not break again. If it does i will be forced to go aftermarket. And if that happens i think we should all file a class action against jeep for having to upgrade a part because there's will just not work where its suppose to. Hopefully this new clamp will take care of the issue and put it to bed! I will keep you updated.

Greg, glad to see your covered under Warranty, I'll be watching mine real close...../ Now see if can put it thru the ultimate test up at Rausch Creek....I probably won't make our Club Run this Saturday. so give it He$$.

Jim,
USMC 0311 - 1811 RVN (Dec 67 - Aug 69) DAV, DMZ "Leatherneck square"((To All The "November Charlie Foxtrot's" that think they know)) You Are Clueless
G27 , G26, & G22-C
post #16 of 27 Old 04-10-2011, 07:04 AM
Wheeler

I realize this is a very old thread, but didn't see a newer one. I took my 2010 JK out yesterday for the first real fourwheelin since I bought it. Same thing happened to me. Boot tore the front section off and pulled the cheesy clamp apart. Guess I'll pull the front shaft out today and see if I can make a temp fix for now. They obviously haven't fixed this problem from the time this thread was originally posted over 3 years ago.
post #17 of 27 Old 04-11-2011, 09:27 AM

When this happened to me, I searched the hardware store for a cheap diy fix. I found some kind of material similar to heat shrink tubing, it may have been for roofing or plumbing I'm not sure at this point. Needless to say I put it on, torched it, it shrunk... and I've been Jeep'n along for the last 25K on stock shafts still with no problems.

Sorry I can't be more specific on what the product was called, but I found it easily enough at HD.
post #18 of 27 Old 04-17-2011, 04:39 AM
Rock God

Mine tore mine shortly after I disconnected my front sway bar about a year ago, never did anything about it. Its been fine so far. Guess Ill upgrade when it breaks.
post #19 of 27 Old 04-17-2011, 08:05 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOT_DAMN View Post
Mine tore mine shortly after I disconnected my front sway bar about a year ago, never did anything about it. Its been fine so far. Guess Ill upgrade when it breaks.
Same thing happened to me about two years ago. I still have not fixed it. Guess I need to look into that.

2007 JEEP Green RUBICON

"If you can read this thank your Teachers, If it is in English thank your Soldiers."
post #20 of 27 Old 04-23-2011, 02:00 PM
Granite Guru

What type of material are people using to cover the factory boot and heat Shrink?

2007 JEEP Green RUBICON

"If you can read this thank your Teachers, If it is in English thank your Soldiers."
post #21 of 27 Old 04-23-2011, 02:05 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

wow really?
been ok for 2 years and NOW you're gonna worry about it?

my rear has been missing totally for at least that long.

Some people were cutting a section of motorcycle inner tube and hose clamping it on.
I say screw it, if it fails, either buy a used stocker for cheap and get another 3-5 years out of it or buy a real shaft for $350 from Addams and be done with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #22 of 27 Old 04-23-2011, 02:22 PM
Granite Guru

So what you guys are saying is that I shouldn't be as worried about wheeling my 3.5" lift on stock shafts?? Its been a hold back for me and I feel compelled to buy new ones as I feel that I will have something bad happen 100 miles from home due to the boot ripping. Theres a place in Jersey not to far from me that makes custom shafts I found out today and there getting a call Monday. I would rather put that $$ into more armor or something if I dont need to worry about the shafts until the boots rip.
post #23 of 27 Old 04-23-2011, 02:38 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

if its just the boot over the slip joint in the middle of the shaft, no I wouldnt worry at all.
if its the rubber seal at the rzeppa joint, then yeah thats a sign of impending failure

Quote:
post #24 of 27 Old 04-23-2011, 02:39 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom View Post
wow really?
been ok for 2 years and NOW you're gonna worry about it?

my rear has been missing totally for at least that long.

Some people were cutting a section of motorcycle inner tube and hose clamping it on.
I say screw it, if it fails, either buy a used stocker for cheap and get another 3-5 years out of it or buy a real shaft for $350 from Addams and be done with it
I have been putting it off for so long. I guess I could find a stock one and notch the plate that tore the boot in the first place.

2007 JEEP Green RUBICON

post #25 of 27 Old 04-23-2011, 02:45 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxVet82 View Post
I have been putting it off for so long. I guess I could find a stock one and notch the plate that tore the boot in the first place.
I notched the hell out of mine a couple of years ago and my front boots survived until the joints let go.
actually I notched mine a little, then bodyguy threw his modded one on my rig at Katemcy awhile back - its seriously carved!
Then I finally got a new aftermarket shaft.

hell if youre ever around abilene, I'll swap you my notched one for your stocker since I dont need the notch anymore.
its a whole 3 bolts

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode