trying this here...got no traction in mod - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 11-27-2013, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

trying this here...got no traction in mod

okay so I outgrew my budget boost and I am having the following installed on my rig next week, (unless you guys have better suggestions) PLEASE WEIGH IN ON THESE UPGRADES!

I just installed P305/75/r17 dynapro atm's (which I love)

Adding a rock krawler 2.5 flex and ditching the budget boost.
rugged ridge xhd modular front bumper with winch mount, storage ends and hoop
rugged ridge extreme heavy duty rear bumper
evap relocation
poison spyder diff covers front and rear
12,500lb warn winch with synthetic cable

Any other thoughts? This will be a trail rig second and a daily driver 1st.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 11-27-2013, 08:34 PM
Rock God

What are looking for? Attaboy? Nice upgrade. What's to discuss? There are alllllways more things to do. That's what we have, a disease.

'12 JKU, 3.5", D44 front swap w/ OX & 5.13s. CMM & Rimz One Built.
Sponsored by Rigid Industries & Method Race Wheels

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 27 Old 11-27-2013, 09:03 PM
JKO Addict!

Rugged ridge bumpers are kinda cheap. Might want to look into a better quality setup.

Some build info here:

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 11-28-2013, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

suggestions? I looked at poison spider but I didn't want to have to finish them...powder coat isn't cheap
post #5 of 27 Old 11-28-2013, 07:15 PM
JKO Addict!

You could go with aluminum, save the weight and no paint needed.

I don't typically recommend brands but will alert people to the lower quality stuff that I have seen.

Some build info here:

post #6 of 27 Old 11-28-2013, 07:31 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Check out JCR Offroad. Quite a few people are running their steel and have been happy with fit, finish, and quality. JCR just upgraded to a HD Plasma cutter so their edge cuts are flawless and the fitment is even better than when I bought my Dagger front bumper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #7 of 27 Old 11-29-2013, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks for the tip....I looked at some of the reviews on the rr bumpers and they look pretty good. I already ordered them so I will let you know how they hold up. I live like 20mins from smorr. I got the evap skid and was wondering what other under armor I need to survive there. I spent 5k on the upgrades above so I will have to go slow from there on. but I don't want to break a bunch of stuff either
post #8 of 27 Old 11-29-2013, 08:00 PM
JKO Addict!

I scored a RR XHD on a price error from amazon last year. I only paid $200 and I am surprised on how it's built. Been through one winter and shows no signs off rusting. Name:  ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1385784005.338325.jpg
Views: 1771
Size:  70.1 KB

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #9 of 27 Old 11-29-2013, 09:15 PM
Wheeler

I like my ORFAB bumpers from Amazon. Perfect fit and finish. Order Monday. Arrives Wednesday.
post #10 of 27 Old 11-29-2013, 09:49 PM
Rock God

Don't see the reasoning for this post. You already ordered the stuff, live with your choices! Options now will only bring you buyers remorse.

post #11 of 27 Old 12-02-2013, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

cool...sorry i guess...i was looking for some input on other stuff as well. thanks
post #12 of 27 Old 12-03-2013, 03:03 AM
Rock God

Caveat emptor.

You finish one project and start another. Modded vehicles, guns and wifes are all the same- you dump some money into them, have some fun, and when the fun wears off someone else takes them off your hands.

Soon to be a vendor!!!
Looking for a good Rat Rod JK donor vehicle.
post #13 of 27 Old 12-03-2013, 07:06 AM
Rock God

Garage

Rugged Ridge bumpers are good to go. People just hate on them because they aren’t semi-custom and cost $600. They are made out of thick steel and great textured powder coat. They fit perfectly and sink the winch down. Your mods are your mods. They aren’t bad or good just what YOU wanted. Different people start with different mods.

-Dan

2008 JK X: Sold
post #14 of 27 Old 12-03-2013, 08:14 AM
Rock God

Garage

FYI, if you're wheeling rocks you're probably going to scrape whatever coating or paint is on any bumper and have to touch it up to avoid rust.

I got the Rugged Ridge XHD 4 years ago because I needed a cheap platform to mount a winch. My plan was to replace it later with something better built. But it went on with zero issues and has held-up great in spite of being run into and dragged over rocks hundreds of times, and doesn't flex at all when winching, even on double-line pulls at up to stall speed. I just touch it up occasionally with Rustoleum texture black and it looks good as new.

So it might be inexpensive but it is a solid bumper; no reason to be concerned about your choice of products. I am more concerned by your selection of lift kits, as I've been seeing an increasing number of problems with Rock Krawler parts failing. It's enough of a concern that I have a hard time recommending RK stuff to new JK owners looking for advice.

I'm a JKO Reject
post #15 of 27 Old 12-03-2013, 08:18 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_M View Post
Rugged Ridge bumpers are good to go. People just hate on them because they arenít semi-custom and cost $600. They are made out of thick steel and great textured powder coat. They fit perfectly and sink the winch down. Your mods are your mods. They arenít bad or good just what YOU wanted. Different people start with different mods.

-Dan
I guess you are calling me a hater based on my comments. I just base my opinions on what I have seen out there that others have bought. And yes I know people with that bumper and my opinion still stands compared to several other bumpers I have seen. Btw I have never bought an aftermarket bumper and you can take your hater comments and stick them in your ass.

Some build info here:

post #16 of 27 Old 12-03-2013, 08:27 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
I guess you are calling me a hater based on my comments. I just base my opinions on what I have seen out there that others have bought. And yes I know people with that bumper and my opinion still stands compared to several other bumpers I have seen. Btw I have never bought an aftermarket bumper and you can take your hater comments and stick them in your ass.
Wow someone sure got sand in their vagina.

-Dan

2008 JK X: Sold
post #17 of 27 Old 12-03-2013, 10:20 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumpInTheRoad View Post
FYI, if you're wheeling rocks you're probably going to scrape whatever coating or paint is on any bumper and have to touch it up to avoid rust.

I got the Rugged Ridge XHD 4 years ago because I needed a cheap platform to mount a winch. My plan was to replace it later with something better built. But it went on with zero issues and has held-up great in spite of being run into and dragged over rocks hundreds of times, and doesn't flex at all when winching, even on double-line pulls at up to stall speed. I just touch it up occasionally with Rustoleum texture black and it looks good as new.

So it might be inexpensive but it is a solid bumper; no reason to be concerned about your choice of products. I am more concerned by your selection of lift kits, as I've been seeing an increasing number of problems with Rock Krawler parts failing. It's enough of a concern that I have a hard time recommending RK stuff to new JK owners looking for advice.

Please share you info on the RK parts that are failing. I'll be lifting a two door soon and RK is my #1 pick right now.
post #18 of 27 Old 12-03-2013, 10:49 AM
JKowners Vendor

We would like to hear this as well?

RK
post #19 of 27 Old 12-03-2013, 10:50 AM
Rock God

Quote:

x whatever on the RR bumper. I've had one on my Jeep for three years now and I have rammed it into rocks, trees and pulled some pretty hard pulls with the winch and it has held up fine. (even the powder coat)

Only thing negative I would say about it is that the fairlead bolts contact the winch itself and is a pain in the ass to get everything lined up. I don't know if it is only that way with the Smittybilt winch I have or if others have the same problem. Either way, probably the best bang for the buck out there for a front stubby.

2007 Rubi Unlimited. Teraflex 2.5 lift + Fox shocks, Nitto Trail Grappler 35s on XD Addicts, 5.38s, Ten Factory rear shafts, Riddler diff covers, Purejeep front axle truss and Teraflex gussets, Tatton front driveline, Rugged Ridge Modular front bumper with XRC8 Comp winch, Superchips programmer, Volant intake, MBRP exhaust, Hella H4 headlight conversion, Body Armor "not so Extreme" Rock Rails, in-cab winch control,Best Top Trek Top.-Sold
post #20 of 27 Old 12-03-2013, 11:11 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:

One thread iirc. There was a lack of communication between the shop/RK and owner. RK came trough at the end and the owner was happy.

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #21 of 27 Old 12-03-2013, 11:13 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Krawler Suspension View Post
We would like to hear this as well?

RK
Been wondering when that would get your attention.
post #22 of 27 Old 12-03-2013, 11:25 AM
JKowners Vendor

We use the forums for feedback as well. To the best of our knowledge, other than Daystar having an issue with a binding agent in some bushings, we have not had any issues at all. At first, we could not believe they were having an issue. We had used them for 7 practically flawless years. Then after our further investigation, they said what had happened and said it was not every bushing, but a flaw in a new binding agent that could potentially cause an issue out of a run. They have since made good on all of their promises to us and hopefully us to our customers now that we know what was up.

No matter what company is out there, there is always the potential for an issue. All good companies will figure it out and get it taken care of or so we hope.

Here are some of the features we have changed or modified based on listening to Forum feed back and customer interaction.

Our new Pro Series of Krawler Joint was developed by our need to have more misalignment for Ultra 4 applications, however, many customers demanded zinc fittings so we took some extra time to develop the race ways to accept grease and add that feature.

Our new instant centers for our front long arms setups were also developed for Ultra 4 applications, but when customers had some issues running Dana 60's or larger front axles with more control arm separation at the axle, it generated a need for more separation at the frame mounts.

The list goes on and on. Next comes our new steering with improved in vehicle adjustability, but still maintaining the 7075 AL that all of you seem to really like.

You guys would be amazed the things an active company on the forums can pick up on. We know a lot of other manufacturer's are simply too frustrated with Forums to deal with it any longer, Hence you do not see them as active as they used to be. Us on the other hand feel this is our roots and we will not loose them. We fade away at times when we are overwhelmed with work, but still try to stay active to help out the communities we care about none the less.

RK

Last edited by Rock Krawler Suspension; 12-03-2013 at 11:49 AM.
post #23 of 27 Old 12-03-2013, 12:34 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Krawler Suspension View Post
We use the forums for feedback as well. To the best of our knowledge, other than Daystar having an issue with a binding agent in some bushings, we have not had any issues at all. At first, we could not believe they were having an issue. We had used them for 7 practically flawless years. Then after our further investigation, they said what had happened and said it was not every bushing, but a flaw in a new binding agent that could potentially cause an issue out of a run. They have since made good on all of their promises to us and hopefully us to our customers now that we know what was up.

No matter what company is out there, there is always the potential for an issue. All good companies will figure it out and get it taken care of or so we hope.

Here are some of the features we have changed or modified based on listening to Forum feed back and customer interaction.

Our new Pro Series of Krawler Joint was developed by our need to have more misalignment for Ultra 4 applications, however, many customers demanded zinc fittings so we took some extra time to develop the race ways to accept grease and add that feature.

Our new instant centers for our front long arms setups were also developed for Ultra 4 applications, but when customers had some issues running Dana 60's or larger front axles with more control arm separation at the axle, it generated a need for more separation at the frame mounts.

The list goes on and on. Next comes our new steering with improved in vehicle adjustability, but still maintaining the 7075 AL that all of you seem to really like.

You guys would be amazed the things an active company on the forums can pick up on. We know a lot of other manufacturer's are simply too frustrated with Forums to deal with it any longer, Hence you do not see them as active as they used to be. Us on the other hand feel this is our roots and we will not loose them. We fade away at times when we are overwhelmed with work, but still try to stay active to help out the communities we care about none the less.

RK
RK FTW
post #24 of 27 Old 12-03-2013, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

thanks for the info...I am happy with my rr xhd choice...heard more good than bad....I also still think RK is the best based on reviews for the money. I will let you know how it goes.....as far as armor goes, i have sliders and evap...what are the next most vulnerable spots to armor up...thanks in advance
post #25 of 27 Old 12-05-2013, 07:10 AM
JKowners Vendor

The only issue that we have been aware of with our products over the past almost 2 years is a bushing issue from Daystar, our supplier. Back in 2012 and maybe even the end of 2011 the EPA in the US removed a product that was used as a binding agent in their PTMEG material which we use exclusively and it caused some issues with proper curring of a very small number of bushings. The curing process and mixing of their new formulations did not cause issues with each and every bushing nor was it limited to batches. It was very random and difficult to pin point. We used over 70,000 bushings last year alone. We as well as Daystar has put higher testing and QA requirements on the bushings themselves to ensure they are supplying quality parts and that we are providing you with quality parts. Daystar is a quality American company that has been around for a very long time and had a great track record prior to this and we are sure they are producing quality parts at this time that are far superior to anything they had ever made for us. We have some of the best manufacturers in the world supplying us with parts such as FK, RES, Daystar just to name a few. It would have been very easy for us to look into alternatives and switch suppliers, but we feel PTMEG is the best poly available currently and that is Daystar's formulation.

Daystar had recently posted this on our FB wall in response to a customer, whom either has been or will be taken care of - of course because they were tired of seeing complaints for something we had not done that was related to their products. To us, that is a stand up company.

"Daystar Products International Patrick Beriault, we understand your concern with the bushings. Daystar Products did supply the bushing in question and we felt like you deserved an explanation. The EPA with very little notice made changes to Catalysts chemistry to American Polyurethane Manufactures could use. A new formulation was used from our supplier and was found to have issues mid run. Unfortunately Rock Krawler got some defective bushings that where not found in our normal QC inspection. As soon as the problem was found our ISO 9001 procedures kicked in, new procedures were put into place, and Rock Krawler was given replacement parts. Just as your Jeep came with a warranty because issues come up your Rock Krawler kit comes with a warranty. Things happen in business, the way they deal with it is what makes companies great. Get the replacement bushings and you will enjoy your kit"

We of course will always do our best to help anyone, not only our customer. Our two biggest issues have all been because of our growth. We are very grateful for it, however. With growth comes problems (good problems), but problems none the less. We were bottle necked in our old facility so we had not released any new products for 2 years to slow down our growth. We bought a new facility in February and moved the company. Then came new hires and getting them up to speed. We have recently put in place 3 new tech support staff members so getting them up to speed has been a challenge. You will finally start to see Rock Krawler release new products in 2014. We look forward to expanding in our new facility, bringing further technology - new products to the Jeep community and helping more and more Jeepers achieve their goals because this a community we truly care about.

So, if anyone has any issues what so ever, we have an open tech line on many forums, we have open tech emails ([email protected]) and of course our phone lines are always on [(518) 270-9822] to service you to the best of our ability. Personally, we prefer phone conversations to start any dialogue simply because a lot of things are left to interpretation via email or PM.

Jeremy CEO Rock Krawler Suspension
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode