I miss having a windshield pillar grab handle - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old 11-24-2013, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I miss having a windshield pillar grab handle

I think that when you change vehicles, there's always one or two creature features that you miss regardless of whether you're stepping up vehicle-wise. For me, it's no longer having the windshield pillar grab handle that came built-in on my WJ. I've installed aftermarket grab handles on the roll cage as far forward as I can, but it's just not the same... just easier to grab on and swing up into the drivers seat.

Does anyone know of a grab handle that can be installed on the windshield pillar?

Tyler R. - Ansonia, CT
Silver '12 JKRU
6-speed, soft top, 2.5" TF Lift, 35" Treadwright Guard Dogs, Smittybilt SRC front bumper, Superwinch TS9500 winch, M.O.R.E. oil pan/trans skid, Skid Row exhaust loop skid, Dominion evap relocation,*Smittybilt Oversized Tiire Carrier and Cibie headlights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 11-24-2013, 07:37 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Poly performance.

http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/...s-p-19473.html

River City Offroad
Metal Cloak
post #3 of 32 Old 11-24-2013, 08:00 PM
Granite Guru

Www.welcomedistributing.com...Carolina metal masters offers a few styles as well.

2012 JKU Altitude
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 Old 11-25-2013, 05:41 AM
Rock God

We have a couple styles and we have a set for the rear of a JKU also. If you have any questions feel free to PM me or send me an email @ [email protected]

http://www.carolinametalmasters.com/...t-grab-handles

09 Rubicon Unlimited on 42's with some stuff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 32 Old 11-25-2013, 05:56 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Check out http://www.surprisestraps.com

They are more towards the front of the rollbar at the windshield as one end it mounted to the windshield frame.

, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #6 of 32 Old 11-25-2013, 06:01 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abadjeeper View Post
We have a couple styles and we have a set for the rear of a JKU also. If you have any questions feel free to PM me or send me an email @ [email protected]

A bit pricey but absolutely the best I've seen.

, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #7 of 32 Old 11-25-2013, 06:03 AM
JKO Addict!

I have the OR-Fab "grab handles"

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #8 of 32 Old 11-25-2013, 06:33 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

^^^good one, I'll play

Synergy actually makes two handles, here is there other one

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

post #9 of 32 Old 11-25-2013, 08:00 AM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMG006 View Post
^ this ! - One of my favorite upgrades !

bad picture but ...

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #10 of 32 Old 11-25-2013, 08:57 AM
Granite Guru

I have the cheapo rugged ridge one that bolts between the a pillar and the visor. Works good.

Last edited by 14Sport; 03-15-2014 at 10:33 AM.
post #11 of 32 Old 11-25-2013, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Wow, thanks for all the posts. I never thought there would be so many options out there!

I would agree that the Carolina ones are amazing, but the 2 designs that they offer just aren't my style.

Not a fan of the GraBars... looks like something you might use to hang a bike on your garage wall.

I have the Rugged Ridge handles that wrap around the roll cage already. The bolt-on set simple and effective. This is my favorite so far, but I wish they offered different colors (silver).

The Poly Performance and Synergy ones suffer the same fault in my book - too simple. They look insanely strong, though.

The Surprise Straps look like my 12 year-old cousin made them... she gave me a bracelet that I could use for this purpose, I guess, lol. I'm sure they fit other peoples' styles, though.

Any other recommendations?

Tyler R. - Ansonia, CT
Silver '12 JKRU
6-speed, soft top, 2.5" TF Lift, 35" Treadwright Guard Dogs, Smittybilt SRC front bumper, Superwinch TS9500 winch, M.O.R.E. oil pan/trans skid, Skid Row exhaust loop skid, Dominion evap relocation,*Smittybilt Oversized Tiire Carrier and Cibie headlights.

Last edited by Cochepaille; 11-25-2013 at 04:50 PM.
post #12 of 32 Old 11-25-2013, 05:50 PM
Rock God

My multi-quote isn't working.

Big Mike - Thanks for the props. Not that I want to try and justify our pricing but we should do a better job of letting everyone know that everything we use from our raw material to our hardware is manufactured and purchased from US manufactures and suppliers. We then do all of the machining in house on our machines. The only thing we outsource is the coating process be it anodizing, powder, or paint. For those items we use local to the Charlotte, NC area companies. This comes at a cost obviously as we could send stuff out to job shops or overseas and cut our costs down but we believe in keeping our money in the good old USA.

Cochepaille - Thank you also for the props. Out of curiosity what type of handle design would you like to see. The hard part is done so maybe coming up with another style is possible. If you feel this way others may also. TIA

post #13 of 32 Old 11-25-2013, 05:57 PM
Granite Guru

These are the welcome dist. variety...
Attached Images

2012 JKU Altitude
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
post #14 of 32 Old 11-25-2013, 06:24 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
...Out of curiosity what type of handle design would you like to see. The hard part is done so maybe coming up with another style is possible. If you feel this way others may also. TIA
Looks like a high quality piece, well done.

I would like a handle that is tucked up higher (move the lower half of the handle up above the current handle) and possibly rotate the handle down some more. For the overall style I would prefer it be as simple and thin as possible, no holes, or finger groves. Basically I want it to blend in as much as possible and not be seen.
post #15 of 32 Old 11-25-2013, 07:05 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbroder View Post
Looks like a high quality piece, well done.

I would like a handle that is tucked up higher (move the lower half of the handle up above the current handle) and possibly rotate the handle down some more. For the overall style I would prefer it be as simple and thin as possible, no holes, or finger groves. Basically I want it to blend in as much as possible and not be seen.
I think I understand what you are looking for. I'll add a more basic design to the list of items we have on our white board for new products. I'll also see what we can do about blending it in a little more.

post #16 of 32 Old 11-26-2013, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Out of curiosity what type of handle design would you like to see. The hard part is done so maybe coming up with another style is possible. If you feel this way others may also. TIA
Your "loop" design is pretty close to what I want, it's just the position of the handle that troubles me. Based on the few pictures I saw on your website, it just looks like the handle would intrude too far into the driver's line of vision. If you were to mount it further outboard, I think it would be more appealing to me, but I'm sure that would have an effect on the rigidity/integrity of the mounting bracket. Just my $.02.

Again, amazing looking products, though, and kudos for keeping as much as possible here in the US!

Tyler R. - Ansonia, CT
Silver '12 JKRU
post #17 of 32 Old 11-26-2013, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
I'll also see what we can do about blending it in a little more.
This is what I was trying to say in my previous post... tucked up and in would be nice.

Tyler R. - Ansonia, CT
Silver '12 JKRU
post #18 of 32 Old 11-27-2013, 06:10 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochepaille View Post
This is what I was trying to say in my previous post... tucked up and in would be nice.
The handles are mounted as far outbound as possible. Believe it or not they really kinda disappear when driving. I don't even really notice them. I'll try and snap a picture from the drivers seat later today if the rain stops.

Jeremey

post #19 of 32 Old 11-27-2013, 06:20 AM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to kaptkrappy

I made mine. Very similar to the Poly version.

Attachment 104417

kaptkrappy's grab handle write up.

2011 JK SPORT
2014 Hemi Compass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASSFROW View Post
That's Daffy, not Donald you dillweed. Get your meat wackin' ducks straight!!

Last edited by kaptkrappy; 01-07-2014 at 06:37 AM.
post #20 of 32 Old 11-27-2013, 08:31 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmmns View Post
^ this ! - One of my favorite upgrades !

bad picture but ...
I love mine too. Very comparable to the WJ location. I chose to drill a hole and finish it with a grommet instead of hacking things up the way the instructions suggest doing. It looks almost factory that way.
Attached Images

Last edited by spieg; 11-27-2013 at 08:35 AM.
post #21 of 32 Old 11-27-2013, 07:29 PM
Rock God

Quote:
The handles are mounted as far outbound as possible. Believe it or not they really kinda disappear when driving. I don't even really notice them. I'll try and snap a picture from the drivers seat later today if the rain stops.

Jeremey
Totally agree. I only see mine when I open the door to get in. You would have to steer with your chin for it to affect any line of sight. Damn good product. I'm gonna bounce an idea off of CMM about a t-handle style as well just to minimize it even further.

'12 JKU, 3.5", D44 front swap w/ OX & 5.13s. CMM & Rimz One Built.
Sponsored by Rigid Industries & Method Race Wheels

post #22 of 32 Old 11-30-2013, 07:24 AM
Granite Guru

Just got a set of front and rear handles from CarolinaMetalMasters, these things are great!!Name:  ImageUploadedByAG Free1385825073.134578.jpg
Views: 2388
Size:  94.7 KB

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

08 X Unlimited.Jeep Green. 4.5" AEV Nth Degree. Rubi rock sliders, LineX'd nerf bars. MotoMetal 909's. 35x12.5x17 Nitto. Billet grille. Daystar Dash, Hood Wranglers and tire bumpstops. Rugged Ridge liners,front XHD bumper. Recon 10.5, neoprene covers. sPOD. KC Daylighters windshield lights. Pocket flares by TAG. JKS front and rear adjustable trac bars. Expedition One Trail Series rear bumper, Rock Krawler arms, Evo sleeves, RCVs, 4.88s, ARBs
post #23 of 32 Old 11-30-2013, 02:57 PM
JKO Addict!

Another rugged ridge but mounted a little different
post #24 of 32 Old 11-30-2013, 03:51 PM
V8 dreams

Love my poly handles. Makes me want a cage even more though

2010 Silver JKU
post #25 of 32 Old 11-30-2013, 04:20 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike View Post
A bit pricey but absolutely the best I've seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhaines View Post
Just got a set of front and rear handles from CarolinaMetalMasters, these things are great!!Attachment 104969

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Gonna grab a set of these.. Jeremy, I'll be in touch over on DOR..thanks

a.k.a. Christian - 2011 Black Jeep Wrangler JKU Rubicon
37" MTRK, RK 3.5 X-Factor (3-Link Rear) and other stuff..
Owner/Manager -
and other Web Properties

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode