2012+ manual - gravely sound while coasting to stop in gear w/clutch in? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 11-22-2013, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

2012+ manual - gravely sound while coasting to stop in gear w/clutch in?

Been noticing this on my '14. I don't remember the '09 having this issue, and I know they changed the throwout bearing and clutch disc on the 2012+.

It works like this....as I come to a stop and just leave it in 1st or second with the clutch pressed in while I decelerate, there is a light gravely type sound that sounds like it's coming from the clutch/bell housing area. It's not super loud but noticeable. The ratio selected affects it, as 2nd gear has slower 'gravel' than 1st.

Wondering if anyone else has this issue. Everything seems fine just the same otherwise, so I am wondering whether its worth taking in to diagnose since they typically either say they can't find it or screw it up worse trying to fix it.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-22-2013, 04:07 PM
Wheeler

Haven't noticed this with mine... what do you mean by "gravely"?

Tyler R. - Ansonia, CT
Silver '12 JKRU
6-speed, soft top, 2.5" TF Lift, 35" Treadwright Guard Dogs, Smittybilt SRC front bumper, Superwinch TS9500 winch, M.O.R.E. oil pan/trans skid, Skid Row exhaust loop skid, Dominion evap relocation,*Smittybilt Oversized Tiire Carrier and Cibie headlights.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-22-2013, 04:50 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Sounds like it might be the throwout bearing is whipped.No big deal,but a pain in the ass to change out.

Somethin's happenin' here,what it is ain't exactly clear,there's a man with a gun over there,a tellin' me,I have to beware.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 11-22-2013, 07:22 PM
Granite Guru

Sounds like my throw out bearing. Didn't notice it till after wheeling. Only 800 miles on it. Dealer replaced under warranty, but made me pay for the bracket that the header sits in cause I bent it from hitting the stupid loop.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #5 of 7 Old 11-22-2013, 08:12 PM
Granite Guru

Sounds like a throw out bearing. I have a 2012 JKU rubicon and I noticed it on mine around 5k miles and made sure it went to the dealer and was documented. I had my first clutch replaced under warranty around 17k miles. I have just under 33k now and it's back at the dealer for the same thing.
post #6 of 7 Old 11-23-2013, 03:31 AM
Wheeler

Same issue with mine, first dealer gave me the run around and stated that it was a normal noise from the throw out bearing... Last time I checked, bearings were not supposed to make noise? 2012 w 26K for reference, Never in mud or deep water..

Cant Fix Stupid...
post #7 of 7 Old 11-23-2013, 05:29 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Thanks guys, sounds like a unanimous consensus. Mine did it from the day I drove it off the lot (Which was not quite a month ago). Looks like a trip to the dealer is in order.

The sad part is that after having the 'whistling dixie' throwout bearing in my '09, I figured Chrysler would pay a little more attention when they designed the replacement TO bearing for the Pentastar drive train. Alas, it was not to be.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode