Need help: Metal on metal sound saga!! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 11-17-2013, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

Need help: Metal on metal sound saga!!

I'm desperately seeking an answer to a problem I have had with my 2007 Wrangler Unlimited X. For the last 2 years I have been trying to source this odd metal-on-metal clack sound that seems to come from one (or all) of the whee/brake system areas. It only happens when I take off with some momentum, or come out of reverse, also with some momentum. The specific wheel source is unknown as it randomly comes from different wheels at different times. Most of the time it is just the one 'clack', but will occasionally be joined by another simultaneous 'clack' from another location- as if two wheels had made the noise.
My mechanic is stumped, having replaced the tie rod, rotors, brakes- the last episode being when he thought the space between the pins and rotor holes was causing the rotors to turn when taking off and impacting the hole to the metal pins. He tried to use some rubber rings to fix the issue, but it didn't work. He and his Team have looked at it 5 or 6 times and can't figure it out. I even brought it to the Dealership and they couldn't sort it out either.
Anybody had this issue?? Had it fixed???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-18-2013, 12:22 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Have you done any modifications whatsoever to the vehicle? It's virtually impossible to even begin to diagnose your issue without some more info.

If you have aftermarket wheels or spacers, then you need to make sure that the lug retainer clips have been removed or it becomes very difficult if not impossible to adequately torque the lug-nuts. The wheels subsequently will not mount flush against the disc face as long as these clips are still on there. Although I'm not suggesting that this sounds like what you are describing, I am saying that this could be one possibility out of dozens of things.

Could be anything... nail or rock(s) embedded in the tire or tread, loose brake caliper bolt, small rock(s) or debris caught between a brake rotor and dust shield, etc. It could even be related to a potentially larger issue like an out-of-balance drive-shaft, improperly set-up ring & pinion, improper calibration of the emergency brake, etc, etc, etc... The list goes on.

A short video/ audio clip would be helpful as well. Lots of different types of clicks and clacks. If you can't get anywhere with your mechanic or the dealership then it might be a good idea to look into utilizing a new mechanic or a different dealership.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #3 of 4 Old 11-18-2013, 06:55 AM
Rock God

I had a similar issue last year. A click when going from reverse to drive quickly. It turned out to be the rear diff. I had a broken tooth on my ring gear and pinion. When was the last time you did a diff service? Jack up the rear end, drain the diffs, and pull the covers. Check the plug for large metal debris. That will be a big clue. Have a buddy turn the wheels or better the drive shaft. Check the ring & pinion and spider gears for chips. Also, if you have the limited slip rear end, it could be worn clutch packs.

It could be something else making the noise. This is what it was for me.

Good luck

08 Unlimited: Lift, Wheels, Tires, Winch ... and an ever shrinking bank account
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 11-20-2013, 07:37 AM
Rock God

I have a metal on metal clank coming from the rear on my unlimited..

I found out it was the seatbelt hitting the wheel well.. (I don't have carpet in my jeep)

07 JK Unlimited X- mildly modified

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode