Rubber sealant/ adhesive - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 11-17-2013, 05:05 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Rubber sealant/ adhesive

The rubber seal along the bottom edge of my rear window ( hard-top) has split and it's allowing water to come into the interior.

Ideally the seal needs to be replaced but I'm trying to avoid that.

Can anyone recommend a good quality ( strong, waterproof, flexible) adhesive/ sealant that is safe to use on soft rubber?

Thank you for your input.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-17-2013, 05:50 AM
Rock God

Garage

Sika 1a is good. Bonds rubber, sticks to glass. (And everything else it touches) comes in black, comes in mini and regular tubes. Its a polyurethane.
I use xylene to tool it and clean up. Some guys use dish soap for tooling but that might degrade its performance.
Depending on your experience with caulking you might want to tape off the surrounding area with green frog tape. Just make sure you strip the tape off before initial set or you'll have a line of encapsulated tape.
Not that cheap, and xylene isn't healthy.

Last edited by coilrod; 11-17-2013 at 05:53 AM. Reason: Zylene has an x
post #3 of 8 Old 11-17-2013, 04:44 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I used shoe-goo http://www.rei.com/product/679240/so...{copy:s_kwcid} to fix the rubber gasket on my truck's shell. I spread a "bead" where the gasket had deteriorated and let it set-up 1-2 hours with the glass open. Seems to work pretty well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUPIDFACE View Post
I have 2 legs, but 3 knees....right knee.....left knee.....wee knee....
Jack of all Trades, Master of Some
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 11-18-2013, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

Thank you for your replies.

I will try to find the Sika 1a and go from there. I hadn't considered Shoe-Goo but I have had good results with it in other applications.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #5 of 8 Old 11-26-2013, 10:01 PM
Rock God

Garage

Did it work out?
post #6 of 8 Old 11-26-2013, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

I looked everywhere locally for the Sika but couldn't find it anywhere... automotive stores, home depot, etc. I found it online but in the meantime found something else that looked promising...

3M black super-strength weatherstrip adhesive. Advertised as "fast drying/ exceptional bond strength/ firmly bonds gaskets, weatherstripping, and seals/ water resistant."

Methyl ethyl ketone/ phenolic resin complex/ polychloroprene/ hexane/ toluene/ heptane/ magnesium oxide/ methylcyclopentane/ methylpentane/ xylene/ carbon black/ rosin/ ethylbenzrne/ benzene/ formaldehyde.

A little apprehensive to use it though. Worried that it might degrade soft rubber.

post #7 of 8 Old 11-27-2013, 05:51 AM
Rock God

Garage

amazon.com will ship to your door. The amazon app lists 12 Sika 1a sources.
I hesitate to substitute a product with known quality/reactions for one which is "available".
From air nails to contact cement and everything in between, it never works out that well for me.
That said, maybe your luck with alternatives will be better than mine. 3m is a top tier supplier.
post #8 of 8 Old 11-27-2013, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

After searching Amazon, all I could find was the limestone and in full size caulking tubes. They were out of black in the smaller size tubes with no estimate of when it would be or if it would be back in stock.

If I could find the black Sika 1a in a small tube then I would buy it, but so far no luck anywhere. Thinking of contacting Sika direct... idk.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode