J8 Some thing different - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 08-23-2009, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
JKA
Wheeler

J8 Some thing different

I got send the day playing with the J8. If you looking for a pick up then this is some thing to look at. I know you cant get the J8 in the USA. But here in South Africa you can from around R360 000. The Rand to Dollar is about 7.8 so you looking at $46000 for the J8. We pay around $44000 for a Unlimited Rubicon so its a little more but dam its great!

Ill post some off road pic's as i get them as my camera died

The CRD motor is strong but not as powerful as the CRD Wrangler but will run on any diesel and thats a big plus in Africa.

The snorkel is a but odd but will work i think there are better out like the one on my Unlimited. Ti all so has a different air cleaner that is so much better than standard!

The interior is much the same just the seats are covered in a water proof venal. The switch that is in place of the twitter is to turn off the air bags. The radio is blanked off with a steel plate.

It has a duel battery system with both the main and second batteries in the load area, as well as an AC inverter.

It went any where we took the stock Rubicon's. It has a D60 with LSD on TC or lockers.

Unlimited Sahara for over landing trips. Rubicon for weekend fun!
You got to see the sun set in Africa before you die!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 08-23-2009, 12:17 PM
JKO Addict!

Looks good, I want one!!
post #3 of 23 Old 08-23-2009, 12:25 PM
JKO Addict!

Awesome!
jealous of your location as well!

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
Why are you highlighting my sig? You Bastard!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 08-23-2009, 12:44 PM
Banned

Why the hell wont they sell that in the US? It's like car companies dont wanna make money.

Amazing.

post #5 of 23 Old 08-23-2009, 12:51 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Great pics!.... that thing is badass.

Weird how they don't sell those over here...

Shipping to 77523?
post #6 of 23 Old 08-23-2009, 12:58 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage
Wink

They do sell J8's here, Your government will not let Jeep sell J8's here:

http://aev-conversions.com/vehicles/j8_milspec.php

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #7 of 23 Old 08-23-2009, 01:12 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdemonto View Post
Your government will not let Jeep sell J8's here:[/url]
I blame OBAMA!!! ..... there is something he can "change"

I actually remember a pretty good writeup in JP magazine a few months ago. Stripped down and built tough.
post #8 of 23 Old 08-23-2009, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
JKA
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RonGilbert View Post
I blame OBAMA!!! ..... there is something he can "change"

I actually remember a pretty good writeup in JP magazine a few months ago. Stripped down and built tough.
Thats just it, "Stripped down" so it dont meet the safety standards for road use in the US. They are for military use. They dont meet one or two things hear ether but you can drive it around, we have laws about it but they dont really worry about things like that here. The J8 in the pic,s has been driving around for a few months now with out any plates or registration papers . Jeep SA are working on getting the missing bits in place so they can be registered as road users. A few Southern African governments are looking at stocking them for their military use. If that happens i dont think id be going north with one! As you will more than lose your J8 at some road block, been told you stole it, or worse mistaken for Government troops and get shot at by some nut with a AK47

I guess it would be a cool Jeep to have! The Girlfriend thinks its great and said we need one to complete our Jeep family

I should have it to play with in a few weeks for a promotion to try sell them to game farms in SA. If Jeep cant sort out some papers to sell the one in the pic's its on its way to the USA to be crushed YES you read rite CRUSHED! Because of some red tape and is not sold But you can get a new one

I cant see how Jeep wont start making a non military version of the J8 i guess time will tell, I bet they would sell!

Last edited by JKA; 08-23-2009 at 02:11 PM.
post #9 of 23 Old 08-23-2009, 06:49 PM
Granite Guru

At those exchange rates, slotted above the Rubicon, it could come in for $40-45k in the US. Replace the radio with an Ipod jack, give it AC, a standard 6speed manual and the option of the diesel or 4.7 V8 to keep costs down. Done and done.

2008 Wrangler X
--Jeep Green w/soft-top

2013 Unlimited Sport
--Gecko
post #10 of 23 Old 08-23-2009, 09:24 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

Jeep charges AEV a premium for these and Aev sells them for $42,300+engine and trans from your local jeep dealer for $8500. Your basically in the low $50's for a J8 here in the states.

Jason

602-314-5356 or

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #11 of 23 Old 08-23-2009, 09:56 PM
Granite Guru

Someone on the board here is selling their 3.8 and tranny for $1500. Not the setup I'd want, and probably not plug-n-play.

Jeep could keep the cost well under $50k selling on their own, and a warranty would make it worthwhile.
post #12 of 23 Old 08-23-2009, 10:07 PM
JKO Addict!

thats freakin sick...

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #13 of 23 Old 08-23-2009, 10:17 PM
Rock God

that thing is really cool...its too bad that they can't or won't sell it directly over here...

2007 Jeep Wrangler X, Auto, Hardtop, White, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME HD springs, Rusty's Adj. F/R trac-bars, Bilstein Steering Stabilizer, JKS Quicker Disconnects, JKS Rear Swaybar Extensions, PolyPerformance UCAs f/r, Rusty's LCAs f/r, 33x12.5 BFG KM2s, ProComp 15x8 Rockcrawlers, Smitty winch, Body Armor Front Bumper, FLW SS rear bumper, OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Skid Row Engine and Tranny Skid, Member UFWD & BRC, †John 3:16†
post #14 of 23 Old 08-23-2009, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
JKA
Wheeler

Please tell me what would the US price be on the Unlimited Rubicon be?

Ill give you the standard set up of how our Rubicon's are delivered and you cant change it?

Cruise control
Electric group. eg windows and door locks.
Hard and soft top
Tow package
My gig head unit.
3 year 100000km maintenance plan. All you pay for is fuel and tyres. it covers every thing down to globs and wiper blades.

The Rubicon sells for R360 000 and the CRD Sahara sells for R380 000
add R1500 for paint like you can take it with out?
add R14 900 for My Gig its in there and you have to take it?

So Rubicon R376 400 @ exchange of 7.8= $48 256.41
Sahara CRD R396400 @ exchange of 7.8= $50 820. 51

The above include VAT sells TAX @ 14% with out any discount you can get a small one.

http://www.jeep.co.za/prices/index.html

Why i ask is i "heard" they sell the J8 at $22k to $25k to the military?

Last edited by JKA; 08-24-2009 at 12:02 AM. Reason: Add the VAT part
post #15 of 23 Old 08-24-2009, 12:06 AM
Wheeler

Send a message via AIM to wildandwilln

I want one some day

Roger & AnaLeah
Big Bear Lake, CA.
08 Rubicon Unlimited
Steel Blue
Lots of Goodies
6"TeraFlex LCG LA 37s
Work in Progress

(408) 568-2963
post #16 of 23 Old 08-24-2009, 01:23 AM
Rock God

thanks for posting the pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukecage View Post
If I hear banjos I'm out! I almost feel like an alien being a black guy in a jeep already, this is gonna be a real adventure
post #17 of 23 Old 08-24-2009, 04:19 AM
Granite Guru

Great looking rig, I hope they don't come out with a diesel, I'd end up divorced.

"My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; He is my fortress, I will never be shaken." Psalm 62:1-2
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
post #18 of 23 Old 08-24-2009, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
JKA
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCOTTON View Post
Great looking rig, I hope they don't come out with a diesel, I'd end up divorced.
Now why is that?

post #19 of 23 Old 08-24-2009, 08:46 AM
Rock God

Garage

thats freaking awesome man

2008 BLACK Unlimited Sahara
Poly Performance 3"on 35" Xterrains and 15" Soft 8s, Front Pro Rock 44, FLW Front Prerunner, FLW Rear Bumper, FLW Rock Sliders, River Raider Gen2 Snorkel, Superior 5.13s,
and

post #20 of 23 Old 08-24-2009, 09:50 AM
Granite Guru

A Rubicon Unlimted here in the States is just under $36k as you described yours, not including sales tax (which probably varries between 5% and 10%, depending on where you buy the Jeep) and definitely NOT including any kind of service plan, but a warranty that is about to change.

J8 production is in Egypt, I believe...and you'd likely know more about the labor cost on that side of the pond, but I'm sure it's cheaper to build the J8's over there than to import the JK's from here. Sales to the military at a price like that would be great. You need to meet some people with connections. Paint it shiny like and most wouldn't know the difference between a JK and a J8

2008 Wrangler X
--Jeep Green w/soft-top

2013 Unlimited Sport
--Gecko
post #21 of 23 Old 08-24-2009, 10:10 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKA View Post
Please tell me what would the US price be on the Unlimited Rubicon be?

Ill give you the standard set up of how our Rubicon's are delivered and you cant change it?

Cruise control
Electric group. eg windows and door locks.
Hard and soft top
Tow package
My gig head unit.
3 year 100000km maintenance plan. All you pay for is fuel and tyres. it covers every thing down to globs and wiper blades.

The Rubicon sells for R360 000 and the CRD Sahara sells for R380 000
add R1500 for paint like you can take it with out?
add R14 900 for My Gig its in there and you have to take it?

So Rubicon R376 400 @ exchange of 7.8= $48 256.41
Sahara CRD R396400 @ exchange of 7.8= $50 820. 51

The above include VAT sells TAX @ 14% with out any discount you can get a small one.

http://www.jeep.co.za/prices/index.html

Why i ask is i "heard" they sell the J8 at $22k to $25k to the military?
The US military contract was for $38K each, its posted on the web.

http://www.defenselink.mil/contracts...ontractid=3616

Quote:
Chrysler International Corp., Auburn Hills, Mich., was awarded on Sept. 27, 2007, a $37,963,125 firm-fixed-price contract for Commercial Wrangler Long Wheel Base Jeeps, Diesel Engines, Transmissions, and Transfer Cases. Work will be performed in Auburn Hills, Mich., and is expected to be completed by Feb. 22, 2008. Contract funds will not expire at the end of the current fiscal year. This was a sole source contract initiated on June 29, 2006. The U.S. Army Tank-Automotive and Armaments Command, Warren, Mich., is the contracting activity (W56HZV-07-C-0610)
Jason

602-314-5356 or

/
/

post #22 of 23 Old 08-25-2009, 08:38 PM
Granite Guru

so, we just need to find someone in the US military that can start feeding Surplus J8s to the open market?
post #23 of 23 Old 08-25-2009, 08:49 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichthus View Post
so, we just need to find someone in the US military that can start feeding Surplus J8s to the open market?
Exactly

602-314-5356 or

/
/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode