Drive shaft falls off transfer case output - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 11-15-2013, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Drive shaft falls off transfer case output

Just got my new Tatton drive shaft from RCO and ended up having a serious issue after driving it only five miles... Please tell me what is wrong here.

In a nutshell the drive shaft slips off the transfer case output shaft.

It is connected to the differential by all four bolts, tightened per spec.
Removed the factory flange at the transfer case (thing with eight bolts).
Slipped Tatton drive shaft directly onto output shaft (it did not come with a new flange). After several miles it will come off the transfer case output shaft.

What is this idiot (me) missing?

2005 Jeep Wrangler TJ Unlimited Rubicon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-15-2013, 08:09 PM
Rock God

Wow, really? Sounds like you need that flange. The ds is supposed to bolt up on both sides with the center section( splined) which gives you your slip joint. Sounds like you need the rest of the ds

Rescue Green 2008 Sahara Unlimited; RK 3.5 max travel; 37" Toyo Mt; PSC Brawler lite front bumper; PSC rock brawler rear w/ tire carrier; OR-Fab rock guards; Aev hood

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old 11-15-2013, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Even if I had a new flange their are NO mounting holes on the drive shaft to bolt with...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 11-15-2013, 08:49 PM
Rock God

Pictures would help I'm immensely here. Without seeing what you are we are limited in our ability to help. Easiest thing is to use something like photo bucket or the like and link in your pics.

I'm still limping along on a stock drive shaft but my rear Tatton went in without a hitch.

Mike
post #5 of 14 Old 11-15-2013, 08:52 PM
Granite Guru

did you tighten the nut that secures the new yolk to the output shaft at the T-case? It should be TIGHT!! like impact wrench tight, bubba tight!
post #6 of 14 Old 11-15-2013, 09:33 PM
Rock God

Yeah, the flange goes on the splines and then there should be a nut that bolts the new flange onto the spline. That's what holds it and keeps it for coming off. If that nut isn't there, it's just going to keep falling off.

Like below
Attached Images

Rescue Green 2008 Sahara Unlimited; RK 3.5 max travel; 37" Toyo Mt; PSC Brawler lite front bumper; PSC rock brawler rear w/ tire carrier; OR-Fab rock guards; Aev hood

Last edited by Monster Jk; 11-15-2013 at 09:43 PM.
post #7 of 14 Old 11-15-2013, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Monster JK is showing a perfect example of what I did once I started to really look at how the drive shaft was build and ditched the "mechanics advise". Don't want to say names but it was the largest national off road shop in the United States. That should narrow it down...

Turns out the problem was the nut was not installed because the shop I called for advise told me to just push it on and your done. Wrong!

After analyzing it for about ten minutes I decide to remove the back half of the drive shaft (four bolts) right after the second u joint. Lord and behold once you take that off you stick it on the output shaft, install the nut, and your done. It won't fall off again...

Sometimes you cannot trust the phone mechanic who offers "free" advice.

And now, it was NOT River City Offroad that offered the free advice.

post #8 of 14 Old 11-15-2013, 11:44 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Glad you got it worked out. Sorry I wasn't around to help you out this afternoon man.

Have a good weekend!

Marcus

post #9 of 14 Old 11-16-2013, 05:12 AM
Granite Guru

sounds to me like the mechanic on the phone doesn't know a goddam thing about the JK and thought wranglers still had the slip yoke on the t-case output.

☀lllllll☀ 2014 Cherokee Trailhawk
☀lllllll☀ 2009 Unlimited X
☀lllllll☀ 1985 CJ-7
post #10 of 14 Old 11-16-2013, 07:38 AM
JKO Addict!

another win for 4wd parts

Some build info here:

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #11 of 14 Old 11-16-2013, 07:40 AM
Rock God

Agreed, no more need for an sye kit! If I were you, I would call the company and get some disciplinary action on that specific guy. Don't judge the company by the dumbass that answers the phone. Honestly, that could have caused major damage. Imagine if it slipped off at 70mph and caught a crack in the road...... Bye bye axle....

To give an idea:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xc0ppG9Mbd4

post #12 of 14 Old 11-17-2013, 04:44 AM
Wheeler

Not to be an ass but did you think maybe if you need to call 4wd parts to ask how to install something like a drive shaft maybe you should of figured out that you needed help with it before trying it on your own?

"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his". George S. Patton
post #13 of 14 Old 11-17-2013, 04:49 AM
JKO Addict!

Mechanics aren't in the business of giving free advice.

If all else fails, -read the directions-.

If that driveshaft has fallen "out" of the transfer case while moving, you can bet it's probably tweaked, out of balance or pretty much junk at this point. Pay attention to vibrations at speed.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #14 of 14 Old 11-17-2013, 05:10 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Militiaman54 View Post
Not to be an ass but did you think maybe if you need to call 4wd parts to ask how to install something like a drive shaft maybe you should of figured out that you needed help with it before trying it on your own?
I always try and get a second opinion or thought before I install something I have never done before. I would rather be safe than sorry, however, that was not the case today.

Before I bought my Jeep the biggest thing I had done was an oil change. Since owning the Jeep I have swapped suspensions, installed u joints in the axle, installed this drive shaft, learned to weld, fabricated my own bumpers, troubleshooted and repaired a winch... I am pleased with what I have learned in the past seven months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
Mechanics aren't in the business of giving free advice.

If all else fails, -read the directions-.

If that driveshaft has fallen "out" of the transfer case while moving, you can bet it's probably tweaked, out of balance or pretty much junk at this point. Pay attention to vibrations at speed.
That was one of my fears also... Thankfully the drive shaft disconnected at around 15 MPH (coming to a back road stop sign). I had the Jeep upwards of 70 MPH the past two days and have felt no funny vibrations in the drive train. I guess I got really lucky.

When I was at 4 Wheel Parts I was going to have them sell me some 1 ton steering linkage but they had none in stock. Since I was already at the shop I decided to ask about the drive shaft, didn't see harm in that. I still spent over a $100 in the store that day.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode