Way to go Optima - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 08-21-2009, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Way to go Optima

In October of 07 I put a Yellow Top Optima in the JK. The last few weeks the Jeep has had trouble turning over and yesterday it didn't turn over at all. I assume the battery was the issue and took it to O'Reilly AutoParts today and they tested it. While in the Jeep their little tester do-hickey said "Bad Battery." The dude there said, "This never happens with Yellow Tops."

Anway, I had to dig out the Yellow Top (hard to do with my OBA manifold right in the way...while wearing a suit) and they put it on their charger. After 15 minutes of charging they determined that it was the battery. I'm thinking to myself at this point...sweet...I get a new YT! There was a shadow of a doubt though that I may have had the pro-rated warranty and have to shell out some dough. Good news...the guy behind the counter was a fellow Jeep (built up YJ) and said that he didn't care what warranty I had but he was going to give me a brad new one. Sure as poop...I walked about with a brand new YT.

Way to go Optima and O'Reilly. It's not often that you hear of a bad Optima but nice to know they took care of me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 08-21-2009, 10:41 AM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to thaduke2003

When I worked as a manager at Autozone in college, we saw maybe one or two a year- not common, but it happens with anything- Mark W.

Back in a '94 YJ! Well, after I sink $$$$ into it...
post #3 of 17 Old 08-21-2009, 11:17 AM
Rock God

I have only had one come back and we didn't ask any questions just gave him a new one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 08-21-2009, 11:31 AM
Rock God

so, how are we mounting the yellow tops in the Jeep, tried to replace my dead battery with a yellow top out in Moab, couldn't get it to fit right, and returned it for a cheaper and crappier battery?

2007 Jeep Wrangler X, Auto, Hardtop, White, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME HD springs, Rusty's Adj. F/R trac-bars, Bilstein Steering Stabilizer, JKS Quicker Disconnects, JKS Rear Swaybar Extensions, PolyPerformance UCAs f/r, Rusty's LCAs f/r, 33x12.5 BFG KM2s, ProComp 15x8 Rockcrawlers, Smitty winch, Body Armor Front Bumper, FLW SS rear bumper, OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Skid Row Engine and Tranny Skid, Member UFWD & BRC, †John 3:16†
post #5 of 17 Old 08-21-2009, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

it comes with a mount that you screw down into the existing battery mount. i can take a picture if that would help.
post #6 of 17 Old 08-21-2009, 02:07 PM
Granite Guru

Go to Sears and buy their Platinum Die Hard battery. It is a rebadged Odyssey which is a much better battery that the Optima. The cost is 189 and has a 4 yr replacement guarantee and a 10 year pro-rated guarantee. The Group 34 fits right in.

The Platinum/Odyssey uses the same AGM technology as the Optima but packages it better. Rather than 6 round cells that waste all the space between the round cells it is square. My last experience with Optima was a dual red top sytem that my son had. One died in 12 months and the other in 18 months.

At lot of the folks on the Expedition Portal have gone over to the Platinum Diehard/Odyssey and they have all been happy with them so far; which was not the case with Optima's.This is signifacant in that they place a lot of load on the batteries as they most all run refridgerators and other gear and will often stop in one place for a few days. And they have winches too.

The specs on the Yellow top (Group 34) are 750 CCA at 0 with a reserve cap of 100 minutes. The Platinum (Group 34 again) is 880 CCA at 0 with a reserve cap of 135 minutes. The Optima weighs 43 pounds while the Platinum weighs 53 pounds (the square shape allows more plates than the round hence the greater weight). Given that the Platinum has more capacity, a better warantee, is about 10.00 cheaper, and many more sources of warranty service there is no longer any reason to buy on Optima.

I'm looking for a place to run a second Platinum; the larger Group 65 which has 930 CCA. I'll buy the Marine version which has a second set of wing nut terminal and run my winch straight off of that.

I spoke to a Warn winch rep and told him that I was a bit disappointed with my Warn PP (9500 - HP).It started out fine for a short while and then fell off. He said the problem was the factory battery I was running - he referred to it as a POS. I replaced it with the Platinum and it performs much much better. There was a huge difference in the weight of the factory battery and the Platinum. So here is another area where Jeep cheaped out on us.

08 JKU Rubi, GM 6.2 LS, 6L80 6 sp automatic, Atlas 4 sp TC, Dynatrac ProRock 80 rear and in front PR60 w RCV shafts, DynaLock w Stub hubs, 4.88 gears and ARB Lockers, 4.0" lift, Synergy Long Arm, King coilovers, 40" Nitto's, Hutchison Rock Monster wheels, GenRight alum bumper and fenders, GenRight 20 gal aux gas tank, PSC steering, Warn Zeon 12K.

2nd Jeep is a 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland with a 5.7 Hemi, Quadra-Lift Suspension and Quadra-Drive II. My wife says I can't do anything to it!
post #7 of 17 Old 08-22-2009, 10:11 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey's Rubi View Post
it comes with a mount that you screw down into the existing battery mount. i can take a picture if that would help.
that would be great, the one I purchased did NOT come with that...I had it out the door, in the Jeep, and was trying to figure out how I was going to tie it down..., but they did take the battery back and refunded my money and sold me a lesser one, so it worked out OK, but I really wanted the yellow top at the time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Go to Sears and buy their Platinum Die Hard battery. It is a rebadged Odyssey which is a much better battery that the Optima. The cost is 189 and has a 4 yr replacement guarantee and a 10 year pro-rated guarantee. The Group 34 fits right in.

The Platinum/Odyssey uses the same AGM technology as the Optima but packages it better. Rather than 6 round cells that waste all the space between the round cells it is square. My last experience with Optima was a dual red top sytem that my son had. One died in 12 months and the other in 18 months.

At lot of the folks on the Expedition Portal have gone over to the Platinum Diehard/Odyssey and they have all been happy with them so far; which was not the case with Optima's.This is signifacant in that they place a lot of load on the batteries as they most all run refridgerators and other gear and will often stop in one place for a few days. And they have winches too.

The specs on the Yellow top (Group 34) are 750 CCA at 0 with a reserve cap of 100 minutes. The Platinum (Group 34 again) is 880 CCA at 0 with a reserve cap of 135 minutes. The Optima weighs 43 pounds while the Platinum weighs 53 pounds (the square shape allows more plates than the round hence the greater weight). Given that the Platinum has more capacity, a better warantee, is about 10.00 cheaper, and many more sources of warranty service there is no longer any reason to buy on Optima.

I'm looking for a place to run a second Platinum; the larger Group 65 which has 930 CCA. I'll buy the Marine version which has a second set of wing nut terminal and run my winch straight off of that.

I spoke to a Warn winch rep and told him that I was a bit disappointed with my Warn PP (9500 - HP).It started out fine for a short while and then fell off. He said the problem was the factory battery I was running - he referred to it as a POS. I replaced it with the Platinum and it performs much much better. There was a huge difference in the weight of the factory battery and the Platinum. So here is another area where Jeep cheaped out on us.
that is very interesting, I did not know of the similarities...thanks for the info...more options

2007 Jeep Wrangler X, Auto, Hardtop, White, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME HD springs, Rusty's Adj. F/R trac-bars, Bilstein Steering Stabilizer, JKS Quicker Disconnects, JKS Rear Swaybar Extensions, PolyPerformance UCAs f/r, Rusty's LCAs f/r, 33x12.5 BFG KM2s, ProComp 15x8 Rockcrawlers, Smitty winch, Body Armor Front Bumper, FLW SS rear bumper, OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Skid Row Engine and Tranny Skid, Member UFWD & BRC, †John 3:16†
post #8 of 17 Old 08-22-2009, 10:32 AM
JKowners Vendor

P1 Baby!!!!

I have had two insurance claims against the Optimas where they exploded and the customer had to replace a major portion of their wiring under the hood. Including the sPOD!

Quote:

-John the sPOD guy
switches jeeps panels jk-forum carling contura led switch windshield
post #9 of 17 Old 08-22-2009, 11:17 AM
Slow and Low

Quote:

I love it when somebody makes a claim, and then backs it up with real data! This single post is full of great useful info. I know you sold me! I printed it and tossed it in the glove box for a near-future Platinum purchase. Thanks!
post #10 of 17 Old 08-22-2009, 02:05 PM

I had a red top for seven years in a string of cars that I used to deliver pizzas with. I finally sold it with the last car. I had over 250,000 miles on it. I don't know if it makes a difference, but it was before they sold out to Interstate.

Adam
post #11 of 17 Old 08-22-2009, 02:36 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by treebumper View Post
I had a red top for seven years in a string of cars that I used to deliver pizzas with. I finally sold it with the last car. I had over 250,000 miles on it. I don't know if it makes a difference, but it was before they sold out to Interstate.

Adam
That has seemed to be the problem
They sold out and are now making an inferior product for more money.
My replacement WILL be a Diehard too.
post #12 of 17 Old 08-22-2009, 05:44 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

im not a fan of the optima's , i never had one buy a few friends have and they all dies after about 2 year, and one blew up

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #13 of 17 Old 08-22-2009, 10:58 PM
Granite Guru

this is good to know, I am getting ready to buy a battery

09 4Dr Currie Rock Jocks D60, 538's, ARB's, Teraflex Long Arm 4", MBRP, SC Flashpaq, K&N Intake w/throttle body,
post #14 of 17 Old 08-23-2009, 06:43 AM
Granite Guru

Talk about a thread going South. Starts out in praise of OPTIMA and ends up selling me a Diehard!

We have an Optima Blue top Group 31 that has spent an abused life running a trolling motor. Gets charged up and drained, repeat. Has been doing so for six years. I was going to put it in Lucy but the group 31 won't fit. Guess I'll keep it on the boat and be glad I have a good one.
post #15 of 17 Old 08-23-2009, 08:07 AM
Rock God

Yes I've got a blue top to, for my little fishing boat, but I use a COSTCO KIRKLAND lead acid battery (3 yr free replacement), for my trailer-no troubles

JIMBO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Man, you gotta have style

"YELLOW JEEP No. 683"
post #16 of 17 Old 08-23-2009, 08:08 AM
Rock God

Garage
Talking Odyssey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey's Rubi View Post
In October of 07 I put a Yellow Top Optima in the JK. The last few weeks the Jeep has had trouble turning over and yesterday it didn't turn over at all. I assume the battery was the issue and took it to O'Reilly AutoParts today and they tested it. While in the Jeep their little tester do-hickey said "Bad Battery." The dude there said, "This never happens with Yellow Tops."

Anway, I had to dig out the Yellow Top (hard to do with my OBA manifold right in the way...while wearing a suit) and they put it on their charger. After 15 minutes of charging they determined that it was the battery. I'm thinking to myself at this point...sweet...I get a new YT! There was a shadow of a doubt though that I may have had the pro-rated warranty and have to shell out some dough. Good news...the guy behind the counter was a fellow Jeep (built up YJ) and said that he didn't care what warranty I had but he was going to give me a brad new one. Sure as poop...I walked about with a brand new YT.

Way to go Optima and O'Reilly. It's not often that you hear of a bad Optima but nice to know they took care of me.
I was going Thur one Optima a year on my range rover with a lot of winching. The Optima just did not hold up with using the winch a lot. I replaced it with an Odyssey and never had another problem! It was still in the rover when I sold it. One of my first mods with the jeep was to replace the factory battery with an Odyssey. I put the factory jeep battery in the wifes Mazda. I'm sold on Odyssey

Paved Roads - Another Fine Example of Unnecessary Government Waste!
Modes - 3.5" Lift - Steel Jeep Bumper with Winch. Body Armor 4x4 Rear Bumper and Rock Sliders. - Hard Top painted White to repel the HEAT! - Ham\CB Radio - A few dents and Scratches John Bull Mod to Front & Rear Diff Covers. Woods Steering Stabilizer Relocation Bracket. Off-road Front, Rear and Rock Lights, Rear CAM, On Board Air.
post #17 of 17 Old 08-23-2009, 08:23 AM
Wheeler

Should we even be running yellow tops in our jeeps? Why not red tops? I have wasted a red, yellow, and blue and told myself I would never be buying an optima again...

Walker Evans Beadlocks
GenRight Bumpers and Fenders
Rockhard Skidplates
PSC Hydroassist
6" TeraFlex Long Arm Suspension
Bilstein shocks
JE Reel 1350 driveshafts
Warn Powerplant
Poly Performance Rocker Guards
oh yeah, its got a hemi!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode