35's or 37's??? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 08-20-2009, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

35's or 37's???

Need some help deciding what tire size. My jeep sees about 1% off road and 99% on road. I like the looks of the 37's but I do drive it 20m one way to work 3 days a week.

I keep reading about how 37's are going to break the 44's, and really don't have the $$ for dana 60's. I already have an OME HD lift w/clayton adj arms and the 285's seem small.

I think the 35's will fit as everything is currently, but what about the 37's? What will need to be replaced? Just the springs & drive lines? Gears will have to replaced anyway so that is not a factor.

How are the road manners of 37's (probably will go with the Toyo's). What about brakes? I fully expect to get a hemi when the funds are available. Obviously I'm not hard core and I'm pretty gentle on stuff.

What do you all think? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-20-2009, 08:27 PM
JKO Addict!

37's

If your not seeing much off-roading and you like the looks.. Go 37's.. JK's are made for 37's. I'm assuming you have a RUBICON. the 44's will handle the stress of the 37's. You could always get gussets and weld them in later on for added support. Also strengthening the axles is always a good thing but not needed right now. Space out your stock 1.25-1.5" inches with spacer's or get the 4.5" offset with new wheel's.

Trim back the pinch welds in front of the rear tires about 1-2". Make sure you have either an adjustable rear track bar or heavy duty track bar bracket. Probably just to be safe, possibly get a dual steering stabilizer. ( more or less due to the large rubber on the concrete giving you bump steer type problems on the roads.

At some point you will need new drive shafts but not with your intended driving style at this time.

If you need more clearance, trim your fenders or get some flat fenders or some sort...That should give you at least 2-3" extra space.

Current project jeep 08' wrangler 2dr
Past jeep:
- 07' Rubicon 4 dr, RAMICON- 3.5" ROCK KRAWLER Coil-Over lift
- 5.38 gears- Gusseted/Trussed/inner sleeved
- 40" Pro Comp X-Terrain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-20-2009, 08:37 PM
Rock God

whether or not you are hardcore offroading, the 35's are usually large enough. i am currently running the RK 3.5" and the 35 km2s look great on it. With that lift I can run 37's if I change gears. And one day when I have the money, I will run 37 or 38" tires . for how much you offroad, i'd say stick with 35's unless you just happen the extra money, and would really like your jeep to be that big, then go for it. all you need to do is reagear. And if you wheel crazy enough, you can break the d44 with either size tire, even with 33, you can sap an axel. real hard to do with the motor size and even if you go 37's just use a little sense and you will be fine. Once again I vote 35 but good luck with your jeep either way

I have a jeep and it goes over shit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 08-21-2009, 01:28 AM
Granite Guru

I think 35's are fine on a 2 dr. But after having 35's on my 4 dr for the past year I'm making the change to 37's. The 4 dr just needs a little more breakover angle than it gets with 35's. If I felt like dropping he dolars on 60's right now (that has to wait until the economy picks up) I'd have gone with 38's, 39's or 40's. 37's just look right on a 4dr.

08 JKU Rubi, GM 6.2 LS, 6L80 6 sp automatic, Atlas 4 sp TC, Dynatrac ProRock 80 rear and in front PR60 w RCV shafts, DynaLock w Stub hubs, 4.88 gears and ARB Lockers, 4.0" lift, Synergy Long Arm, King coilovers, 40" Nitto's, Hutchison Rock Monster wheels, GenRight alum bumper and fenders, GenRight 20 gal aux gas tank, PSC steering, Warn Zeon 12K.

2nd Jeep is a 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland with a 5.7 Hemi, Quadra-Lift Suspension and Quadra-Drive II. My wife says I can't do anything to it!
post #5 of 9 Old 08-21-2009, 08:20 AM
Rock God

Garage

Aside from drivetrain issues which may or may not be present depending on how much you wheel, there is a substantial price difference-- about $100 per tire in any given brand to make the jump. I'm very happy with my 35's, and I've made it a year now w/o a gear change. The gears would help, but they're not mandatory. They would be mandatory with 37's. So if money's not an issue go for broke and do 37's, but if you have other mods in mind and have to do them over time, I'd upgrade everything else first while I ran out a set of 35's, then jump up tire size only after the other pieces are in place. That's my plan anyway

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." --Stephen Wright
post #6 of 9 Old 08-21-2009, 11:39 AM
Rock God

I think 35s will look great on the two door, but if you have a 4 door, for whatever reason, I think 37s look better...but that is just me, and what do I know...I have 33s on my two door...

2007 Jeep Wrangler X, Auto, Hardtop, White, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME HD springs, Rusty's Adj. F/R trac-bars, Bilstein Steering Stabilizer, JKS Quicker Disconnects, JKS Rear Swaybar Extensions, PolyPerformance UCAs f/r, Rusty's LCAs f/r, 33x12.5 BFG KM2s, ProComp 15x8 Rockcrawlers, Smitty winch, Body Armor Front Bumper, FLW SS rear bumper, OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Skid Row Engine and Tranny Skid, Member UFWD & BRC, †John 3:16†
post #7 of 9 Old 08-21-2009, 12:18 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda13 View Post
I think 35s will look great on the two door, but if you have a 4 door, for whatever reason, I think 37s look better...but that is just me, and what do I know...I have 33s on my two door...
They do look much better on the 4 dr but for me it is more of a performance issue. I do think that maybe a stick Rubi with 4.10's could get by without regearing but for an auto regearing is a must; you need at least 5.13's and 5.38's would be better. And if you are going to push it I think CM axles, gussets and bracing (internal or external is in order). I'm running CTM u-joints and 1350 drivesahfts too.

37's are much better; but there is a huge cost penalty in upgrades. For me it is worth it as we use the dickens out of this thing offroad. And D60's are in the upgrade plan.

As an aside one of my main reasons for going to 37's is that I can run them very soft and still have decent ground clearance. I just came back from a five day off road trip and somebody that was along on trip with some friends managed to ride in a number of vehicles. He had been riding in a LR Defender 110 and couldn't believe the difference in ride. I was running 12 in the front and 14 in the rear and he said it was like a Cadillac in comparison to the 110 and the other vehicles he rode in including a couple of built (that's a joke) FJ Cruisers. Traction and dealing with rocks is a lot better when aired down but the improvement in ride is a huge plus (especially if spousal unit is well endowed).

08 JKU Rubi, GM 6.2 LS, 6L80 6 sp automatic, Atlas 4 sp TC, Dynatrac ProRock 80 rear and in front PR60 w RCV shafts, DynaLock w Stub hubs, 4.88 gears and ARB Lockers, 4.0" lift, Synergy Long Arm, King coilovers, 40" Nitto's, Hutchison Rock Monster wheels, GenRight alum bumper and fenders, GenRight 20 gal aux gas tank, PSC steering, Warn Zeon 12K.

2nd Jeep is a 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland with a 5.7 Hemi, Quadra-Lift Suspension and Quadra-Drive II. My wife says I can't do anything to it!
post #8 of 9 Old 08-21-2009, 04:09 PM
Heat'n and a beat'n...

37s...

corey d

corey d
2008 JEEP...
post #9 of 9 Old 08-21-2009, 06:33 PM
Rock God

Send a message via AIM to NYJKGUY

I have 35s for the last 2+years and think its time for a change i see 37s in my future i have dana 30 in front that has been gussted and has cm axels and a 44 in the rear stock im still undesides

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeatenPath View Post
i dont really want to look at filthy girls anyway
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode