CB radios - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 08-20-2009, 06:35 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

CB radios

I'm looking for ideas to stay in touch with my buddies while wheeling. Most of my friends have CB radios mounted inside their TJ's but I'm not sure that I want the hassle of having one permanently mounted. Has anyone had good luck with a portable model?

"A government that is big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything that you have." - Thomas Jefferson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 08-20-2009, 06:48 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I have an old 45wx that is awsome. It's a handheld version of the 75wx people are installing in the jeeps now. I like to have both, that way my spotter can get ahold of me if we're working an area that we can't have eye contact.

Obama, The greatest gun salesman since the invention of firearms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscwerve View Post
This is exactly why we need to practice proper gun control.

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.
post #3 of 16 Old 08-20-2009, 08:35 AM
Rock God

Just out of curiousity, what's the hassle??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy2x View Post
I'm looking for ideas to stay in touch with my buddies while wheeling. Most of my friends have CB radios mounted inside their TJ's but I'm not sure that I want the hassle of having one permanently mounted. Has anyone had good luck with a portable model?
JIMBO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Man, you gotta have style

"YELLOW JEEP No. 683"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 08-20-2009, 10:10 AM
Granite Guru

The Cobra 75 is probably what you're looking for. Mount the box behind the dash, and disconnect the corded hand-held unit when not in use and throw it in the golvebox.

2007 Jeep Green 2-Door

Suspension: RC 2.5" Coils & 2.2 Shocks • Rock Krawler HD Tie Rod • JKS adjustable trackbars • JKS swaybar disconnects

Wheels/Tires: Procomp 1069 16X8 wheels • Procomp Radial Mud Terrain 285/75-16 tires

Bumpers/Armor: Expedition One rear bumper/tire carrier •

Comms/Extras: Cobra 75 WS XT• 3' Firestick•Dirty Dog 4x4 Bikini
post #5 of 16 Old 08-20-2009, 04:57 PM
Granite Guru

I have a Cobra 75 and am looking to replace it with something else. I'm just not happy it's performance - primarily on reception. SWR is 1.1 - 1.2 on 1, 20 and 40 and it transmits just fine. But reception is lousy. I regret it's purchase.

08 JKU Rubi, GM 6.2 LS, 6L80 6 sp automatic, Atlas 4 sp TC, Dynatrac ProRock 80 rear and in front PR60 w RCV shafts, DynaLock w Stub hubs, 4.88 gears and ARB Lockers, 4.0" lift, Synergy Long Arm, King coilovers, 40" Nitto's, Hutchison Rock Monster wheels, GenRight alum bumper and fenders, GenRight 20 gal aux gas tank, PSC steering, Warn Zeon 12K.

2nd Jeep is a 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland with a 5.7 Hemi, Quadra-Lift Suspension and Quadra-Drive II. My wife says I can't do anything to it!
post #6 of 16 Old 08-21-2009, 05:13 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

JB,

I guess the hassle would just be having something else either banging my leg or in my passengers way the rest of the time when not wheeling. I just wouldn't use one enough to justify a permanent home. Thats why I thought a good portable unit would be something that I could just grab when I needed it. Although I do like the idea of mounting something up under the dash that you can just plug the handset into. Any other ideas out there?

"A government that is big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything that you have." - Thomas Jefferson
post #7 of 16 Old 08-21-2009, 06:43 AM
Rock God

-----OH!------

Quote:
JB,

I guess the hassle would just be having something else either banging my leg or in my passengers way the rest of the time when not wheeling. I just wouldn't use one enough to justify a permanent home. Thats why I thought a good portable unit would be something that I could just grab when I needed it. Although I do like the idea of mounting something up under the dash that you can just plug the handset into. Any other ideas out there?
Put it over the rearview mirror, then it's always there and in nobodys way

Quote:
JIMBO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Man, you gotta have style

"YELLOW JEEP No. 683"
post #8 of 16 Old 08-21-2009, 07:49 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I bought one of these off Ebay several years ago just for wheeling. Works great. Can be connected to an external antenna also (I have a Cobra mag mount). I throw it and the antenna in the storage bin in the cargo area. Here is one up for bid on Ebay now.

MikeP

Last edited by priell3; 08-21-2009 at 07:53 AM.
post #9 of 16 Old 08-21-2009, 10:01 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
JB,

I have gone out a whole bunch of times with folks that have portables. They are always trouble and infrequently work right. I can't recommend one at all. In my opinion you are wasting your money with one. Mount something permanent and be done with it.

08 JKU Rubi, GM 6.2 LS, 6L80 6 sp automatic, Atlas 4 sp TC, Dynatrac ProRock 80 rear and in front PR60 w RCV shafts, DynaLock w Stub hubs, 4.88 gears and ARB Lockers, 4.0" lift, Synergy Long Arm, King coilovers, 40" Nitto's, Hutchison Rock Monster wheels, GenRight alum bumper and fenders, GenRight 20 gal aux gas tank, PSC steering, Warn Zeon 12K.

2nd Jeep is a 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland with a 5.7 Hemi, Quadra-Lift Suspension and Quadra-Drive II. My wife says I can't do anything to it!
post #10 of 16 Old 08-21-2009, 11:34 AM
Rock God

I have a portable Midland unit that has an adaptor that plugs into my antenna as well as my power port on the dash...it works great, or at least it has since March when I installed the firestick and started using it...now I have a handheld also, that does not plug into the firestick...it is not that great...

2007 Jeep Wrangler X, Auto, Hardtop, White, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME HD springs, Rusty's Adj. F/R trac-bars, Bilstein Steering Stabilizer, JKS Quicker Disconnects, JKS Rear Swaybar Extensions, PolyPerformance UCAs f/r, Rusty's LCAs f/r, 33x12.5 BFG KM2s, ProComp 15x8 Rockcrawlers, Smitty winch, Body Armor Front Bumper, FLW SS rear bumper, OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Skid Row Engine and Tranny Skid, Member UFWD & BRC, †John 3:16†
post #11 of 16 Old 08-21-2009, 12:33 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I have a Cobra 75 and am looking to replace it with something else. I'm just not happy it's performance - primarily on reception. SWR is 1.1 - 1.2 on 1, 20 and 40 and it transmits just fine. But reception is lousy. I regret it's purchase.
If you sell send me a PM...I am interested!!!

2007 JK Unlimited "X"

TF 3" Kit w/4 Arm Flex Kit, TF HD F & R Adj. Track Bars, TF HD Steering Stabilizer, Yukon 5.13 gears, CenterForce II Clutch, Black Rock Soft 8's 16x8, Cooper Discoverer STT 315/75/16, RR XHD Front w/Stinger, SB XRC Rear w/Carrier, KC 130W Slim Lights w/Windshield Mounts, Xenon Flat Fenders, SB XRC8 Winch
post #12 of 16 Old 08-21-2009, 12:38 PM
Granite Guru

Garage
Send a message via AIM to NorthGAX Send a message via Yahoo to NorthGAX

I am not sure that a portable CB is any more of a hassle then a 'permanent' one. with a magnetic antenna (I don't like them) and a cigarette lighter adapter even the less expensive radios can be removed easily.

Love you brother and you will always be my hero!

post #13 of 16 Old 08-21-2009, 12:59 PM
Granite Guru

I have a small Cobra model mounted under the driver seat. Works great on the trails. It is completely out of the way. When I'm not using it I just leave the microphone under the seat. I have a 2 foot Firestik mounted on a simple flat bar bolted to the spare tire carrier. I think the total cost was like $50.

2007 Stone White Rubicon
post #14 of 16 Old 08-21-2009, 01:27 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I love my cobra 75, dont have to leave it in the jeep and worry about it getting stolen while doorless all summer, under the seat in my jeep it would get wet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
post #15 of 16 Old 08-21-2009, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks guys! As always, I appreciate the opinions and ideas.

post #16 of 16 Old 08-23-2009, 07:28 AM
Rock God

Garage
Lightbulb Antenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Your problem may be the Antenna! I had problems with mine too. Then I ordered a 4' Wilson no ground antenna and WOW it works great again! I went with the no ground because my antenna is on the swing out tire carrier and I know what a problem the ground can be.

Paved Roads - Another Fine Example of Unnecessary Government Waste!
Modes - 3.5" Lift - Steel Jeep Bumper with Winch. Body Armor 4x4 Rear Bumper and Rock Sliders. - Hard Top painted White to repel the HEAT! - Ham\CB Radio - A few dents and Scratches John Bull Mod to Front & Rear Diff Covers. Woods Steering Stabilizer Relocation Bracket. Off-road Front, Rear and Rock Lights, Rear CAM, On Board Air.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode