Best Brake pads for 2014 jk - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 11-11-2013, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Best Brake pads for 2014 jk

I recently purchased a 2014 unlimited rubicon. I put a teraflex 3" 8arm lift kit with 35's. Stopping distance has been reduced. I ordered the Teraflex big rotor kit and was wondering about upgraded brake pads. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 11-11-2013, 04:00 PM
Granite Guru

I use the Hawk LTS and they stop the same as stock.

Not an upgrade, but its helpful to rule them out.
post #3 of 18 Old 11-11-2013, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Great - one down. Something has got to be better than stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 11-11-2013, 04:59 PM
Wheeler

My WJ went through pads and rotors like a fat kid goes through a can of Pringles, and the only rotor/pad combo I found that didn't wear so quickly was the Powerstop drilled/slotted rotors coupled with their Evolution series ceramic brake pads. I went from a brake job once a year for the first 3 years I owned my WJ to just replacing the pads after 3 years of use! The pads had a lot more bite than standard metal alloy pads, they were dead silent, and there was hardly any brake dust to deal with. Needless to say, I will be using Powerstop products when my JK is due for a brake job!

Tyler R. - Ansonia, CT
Silver '12 JKRU
6-speed, soft top, 2.5" TF Lift, 35" Treadwright Guard Dogs, Smittybilt SRC front bumper, Superwinch TS9500 winch, M.O.R.E. oil pan/trans skid, Skid Row exhaust loop skid, Dominion evap relocation,*Smittybilt Oversized Tiire Carrier and Cibie headlights.
post #5 of 18 Old 11-12-2013, 02:34 AM
Granite Guru

I've used EBC Green Stuff pads on two cars and Yellow Stuff pads on one with great results. I'm nowhere near needing new pads on the JK, but when the time comes, I'm going with Green Stuff. I think the Yellow Stuff might be a bit overkill for something that rarely sees 80mph, although they did decrease the stopping distance on my SRT-4 65-0 by over 10%. Gonna pair them with either turned or new OEM replacement rotors.
post #6 of 18 Old 11-12-2013, 06:57 AM
Rock God

Garage

I'm confused... Don't you want to reduce your stopping distance? Isn't that what the big break kit will do for you?

2008 JKU Rubicon. 2.5" Rock Krawler Stock Mod lift, 35x12.50x15 Cooper STT's on Pro-Comp D-windows, 5:13 gears, Uconnect Microphone mod, Husky Floor Liners, Mastercraft Grab Handles, Weathertech Side Window Deflectors, Hitch mounted D-Ring, Rancho Oil Pan Skid, Skid Row Evap Can Skid, and a Rugged Ridge Front Skid. Solid Diff Covers front and rear. Rock Slide Engineering Sliders.
post #7 of 18 Old 11-12-2013, 07:03 AM
JKO Addict!

I have the HPS Hawks with the TF big rotor kit and it stops pretty well. I haven't done any hard stop tests after they've been broken in, but they to have good initial bite.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 18 Old 11-12-2013, 07:03 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victim Of Pain View Post
I'm confused... Don't you want to reduce your stopping distance? Isn't that what the big break kit will do for you?
Upgrading rotor diameter without changing the pads isn't quite taking advantage of the entire setup. The larger rotor has more of a mechanical advantage, it also has a thermal advantage, being able to dissipate/absorb more heat before fading. So a more aggressive pad can be used to complement that.

| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

post #9 of 18 Old 11-12-2013, 07:43 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
Upgrading rotor diameter without changing the pads isn't quite taking advantage of the entire setup. The larger rotor has more of a mechanical advantage, it also has a thermal advantage, being able to dissipate/absorb more heat before fading. So a more aggressive pad can be used to complement that.
I have 15's so I swapped in slotted rotors. I figured you'd have to switch to bigger pads with the teraflex kit.

2008 JKU Rubicon. 2.5" Rock Krawler Stock Mod lift, 35x12.50x15 Cooper STT's on Pro-Comp D-windows, 5:13 gears, Uconnect Microphone mod, Husky Floor Liners, Mastercraft Grab Handles, Weathertech Side Window Deflectors, Hitch mounted D-Ring, Rancho Oil Pan Skid, Skid Row Evap Can Skid, and a Rugged Ridge Front Skid. Solid Diff Covers front and rear. Rock Slide Engineering Sliders.
post #10 of 18 Old 11-12-2013, 07:48 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victim Of Pain View Post
I have 15's so I swapped in slotted rotors. I figured you'd have to switch to bigger pads with the teraflex kit.
They're big rotor kit keeps OEM calipers, so not necessarily.

post #11 of 18 Old 11-12-2013, 10:52 AM
Granite Guru

I've got the EBC Green Stuff pads on my JK with the stock rotors. They have awesome bite while they still have the break in coating, but once that wears off I think they weren't much better then stock. If I stand on the pedal they will stop, just don't have as much initial bite as Id like on my BRAKES for such a large vehicle.

I'm also running 15" rims so can't go to a larger rotor, haven't started looking but will probably try another pad/rotor combo once these wear out.

Jeepless
post #12 of 18 Old 11-12-2013, 11:37 AM
Rock God

Hawk LTS here, i could tell a diff as soon as they were installed. i fully endorse them.
post #13 of 18 Old 11-12-2013, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

thanks for all the input. I'm leaning toward the hawks. I'll let you know in a few weeks how it works out.
post #14 of 18 Old 01-18-2014, 10:17 AM
Wheeler

Has anyone installed both the EBC Green stuff pads with an upgraded slotted/drilled or dimpled rotor?
post #15 of 18 Old 01-18-2014, 03:21 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkknight1999 View Post
Has anyone installed both the EBC Green stuff pads with an upgraded slotted/drilled or dimpled rotor?
Unless you're tracking a car, drilled and slotted rotors are mostly show. You're not stopping from speed often enough on the streets to take advantage of the additional heat dissipation they offer. You'd be better off with a big brake/twin piston conversion for more bite for street use.
post #16 of 18 Old 01-20-2014, 08:37 AM
Granite Guru

I noticed the same thing when I went to 35s. I switched to Black Magic pads and the difference is significant.
post #17 of 18 Old 01-20-2014, 09:32 AM
Rock God

I don't have experience with slotted rotors offroad but, contrary to some opinions/experiences, I thought the slots could prevent/clear out build-up of dirt/mud between the pads and rotors.

Really, what's the difference in swept area with a solid rotor vs slotted if your pads have a channel cut through them or they're countersunk for rivets?
So you get full pads on a solid rotor to enhance the swept area; couldn't you trap debris, thus screwing up the pads and rotors?
post #18 of 18 Old 01-20-2014, 11:38 AM
Granite Guru

check out "the brake man". real hi quality products.

Silver 4 Door JK
60's / 40's
Ripp
Rebel Off Road Suspension
King Shocks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode