Room racks - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 11-11-2013, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Roof racks

Need some advice/opinions from the forum About roof racks. I am thinking of purchasing one so I can put my canoe and kayak on top without damaging my soft top. Are they worth it? What are the pros and cons? What brands do you owe?

Let me know before I make a $500-1000 mistake.

2013 Commando Green JKU - Magnaflow CatBack, AFE Cold Air, Lift and Tires after warranty runs out....!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by BurkeDad; 11-11-2013 at 07:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 11-11-2013, 05:07 PM
Rock God

https://www.jeepracksandmore.com/con...-74-l-bushman/

I have been researching for awhile. This is what I would get right now if I could. I have seen one on a 2 door and was impressed.

I am not that impressed with the gobi. I have seen that in person as well. It utilizes the tub to remain stable. I also seen tubs dented because of the load swaying above.

JKUR auto | 5:38 | tires 36"x17 wheels 9"x4.5"bs | TF 6"| ASFIR bumpers, skids | SuperWinch EPi9.5 | RCV shafts | SC traildash | Xenon fenders | OBA York

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 Old 11-11-2013, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I agree. I don't like the ones that attach to the tub. I've been looking at one made by Body Armor.

Thanks for the link for the Congo Cage. I've seen it and like the simple style.

2013 Commando Green JKU - Magnaflow CatBack, AFE Cold Air, Lift and Tires after warranty runs out....!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 11-11-2013, 09:56 PM
Rock God

I don't have personal experience with the Gobi, but from all the pictures it looks like it attaches to the frame in the rear, and the windshield mounts in the front.

If you don't need a permanent rack this is the one I use. It works pretty well on my two door. On a 4 door I'd probably add a light bar up front to spread out the load of a canoe or kayak.

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88784

Mike
'07 2 door soft top
post #5 of 17 Old 11-12-2013, 06:21 AM
Granite Guru

I use the Congo Cage and find it very functional. The rack is easy to raise for lowering and raising the soft top or access to the hard top panels. Loosen 2 bolts on the front mounts and the rack pivots back on the rear frame mounted mounting point. It takes about 3 minutes for one person to do.

Removal of the whole rack is also easy. So easy I can also remove and install the rack myself. I rig it to hang from a tree, remove the 4 mounting bolts and drive out from underneath it. Takes about 15 minutes.
post #6 of 17 Old 11-12-2013, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Good to know about the Congo Cage. Since I have a soft top - and put it down every chance I get - this was a concern to me. But it sounds like taking the op down with a congo cage is not difficult at all.

post #7 of 17 Old 11-12-2013, 07:17 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

gobi doesn't attach to the tub, only has rests that keep it stable. It attaches to the frame and windshield mounts up front. I have had two 80# kayaks up there with no issues, along with me and the wife standing up there from time to time. Never had a dent on the tub. This is one solid rack, and no drilling in the tub was required, unlike the warrior rack on my old yj

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDrinken View Post
Dirty Minion for life™.:the finger:
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved ©2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiCajun View Post
The fact that there is some Fag in you should be upsetting to say the least.
post #8 of 17 Old 11-12-2013, 09:02 AM
Rock God

I carry a whole ton of different chit on my kargo master and can roll my orh softop up under it. yes its a bit loud, quiets down when you have two kayaks, a thule box full of camping chit a arb shade, firewood, life jackets padlles, beer, water and more on there ......I use it with the crossbars a thule box, a rhino basket and a thule mesh basket, sometime all at the same time...see pics here at post 11963:

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showth...45147&page=479

not bad for sitting on watching bison and bears either yes I too might have preferred the seemingly more streamlined Gobi but at much less cost I got my cage, box and baskets.
post #9 of 17 Old 11-12-2013, 02:26 PM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Oh, sorry you meant roof rack..
Attached Images

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved ©2015
post #10 of 17 Old 11-14-2013, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Yhea - ROOF RACK. My kids literally sucked my brain out that day. Did not notice until 3 replies deep........

From what I have read (here and oher reviews) I like the Congo Cage. Simple, you can attach alot of different chit to it (Thule, Yakima, etc....) and for the cost.

post #11 of 17 Old 11-14-2013, 10:37 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo78 View Post
I don't have personal experience with the Gobi, but from all the pictures it looks like it attaches to the frame in the rear, and the windshield mounts in the front.

If you don't need a permanent rack this is the one I use. It works pretty well on my two door. On a 4 door I'd probably add a light bar up front to spread out the load of a canoe or kayak.

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88784
It does attach to frame. It requires help with its load.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj jk View Post
I use the Congo Cage and find it very functional. The rack is easy to raise for lowering and raising the soft top or access to the hard top panels. Loosen 2 bolts on the front mounts and the rack pivots back on the rear frame mounted mounting point. It takes about 3 minutes for one person to do.

Removal of the whole rack is also easy. So easy I can also remove and install the rack myself. I rig it to hang from a tree, remove the 4 mounting bolts and drive out from underneath it. Takes about 15 minutes.
So far I have seen it is the most sturdy rack that is not dependant of it being used with a hard top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchlayer View Post
gobi doesn't attach to the tub, only has rests that keep it stable. It attaches to the frame and windshield mounts up front. I have had two 80# kayaks up there with no issues, along with me and the wife standing up there from time to time. Never had a dent on the tub. This is one solid rack, and no drilling in the tub was required, unlike the warrior rack on my old yj
Some one I know has the rack and with carrying a load the side of the tub dented in at the stabilizer pads. I think it relies to much on the stabilizers for strength. So if your offroad with a load good luck. That is why I have turned to the cargo master. Price is right too.

JKUR auto | 5:38 | tires 36"x17 wheels 9"x4.5"bs | TF 6"| ASFIR bumpers, skids | SuperWinch EPi9.5 | RCV shafts | SC traildash | Xenon fenders | OBA York

post #12 of 17 Old 11-15-2013, 08:32 AM
Granite Guru

I have the Garvin Industries Adventure rack to haul kayaks and stuff around and it has done fine. I used to have one on my YJ with the basket but i didn't want that on my JK.

The garvin doesn't require any drilling either and so far has been rock solid.
post #13 of 17 Old 11-15-2013, 08:52 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher View Post
I have the Garvin Industries Adventure rack to haul kayaks and stuff around and it has done fine. I used to have one on my YJ with the basket but i didn't want that on my JK.

The garvin doesn't require any drilling either and so far has been rock solid.
I just looked at the garvin and it says minor drilling required on their website.

Here is more info on the gobi rack.
http://youtu.be/2HklKyn27Go

See at 2 mins into this video of installation. You will see the tub being drilled. Are you sure you did the install correctly or maybe you are mixing up racks?

Also from looking at pictures there is stabilizers at the top of the hard top that I can see. So what do you do for stability with the hardtop off. Just does not seem to be as solid as shown in pictures without requiring the use of the body to help out.

And lastly there is contact at the top of the windshield by the front frame.

Last edited by JeepUpKeep37s; 11-15-2013 at 08:59 AM.
post #14 of 17 Old 11-15-2013, 09:24 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

gobi install does not require any drilling and there are no supports touching the hard top at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDrinken View Post
Dirty Minion for life™.:the finger:
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved ©2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiCajun View Post
The fact that there is some Fag in you should be upsetting to say the least.
post #15 of 17 Old 11-15-2013, 09:54 AM
Rock God

I didn't see any drilling anywhere around the 2 min mark of that video. What are you looking at?

Mike
'07 2 door soft top
post #16 of 17 Old 11-15-2013, 11:59 AM
JKO Addict!

Another vote for the Gobi.

One of the most well thought out and engineered racks out there, IMO. I've been running their Stealth rack now for about a year and a half without any issues to speak of. If you're hauling more than just canoes or kayak's up there, you'll appreciate the steal mesh flooring, especially if you're having to step around gear bags. Other pluses are it's low profile and the use of round tubing versus square tubing. You can buys clamps for rounding tubing, not for square.

It is very solidly constructed, you're Jeep will give before the rack will, even their bolt on accessories. My ax/shovel mount caught a tree branch on Kane Creek in Moab and wrenched the entire rack back. The worst that happened to the rack was the ax/shovel mount got pulled back 1.5" scuffing the powder coat, though I had two small quarter sized dimples on the windshield frame.

Loaded up

Top view of the rack.

Sure my rig has seen the trail, but I wheel it like a soccer mom looking for a parking spot at Nordstroms.

Last edited by kkuntz01; 11-15-2013 at 12:07 PM.
post #17 of 17 Old 11-16-2013, 12:04 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchlayer View Post
gobi install does not require any drilling and there are no supports touching the hard top at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo78 View Post
I didn't see any drilling anywhere around the 2 min mark of that video. What are you looking at?
Ok , I reviewed it again. There is a support that is going from the rear lower rack mount touching the body that appears to be for lateral support. Is that correct?

Correct there is no support up against the top of the hard top.

With garvin there appears to be the upper hard top lateral support shown as well there is definitely drilling and screwing to the body of the jeep for installation.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode