Flat tow questions - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 08-19-2009, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Flat tow questions

I have been a member here and JK owner since March, I read this forum daily but rarely post, anyway ...
Got my Jeep setup last week to flat tow behind my RV. I did not disconnect battery as instructed in the owners manual, I pulled the IOD fuse. After towing for couple hundred miles I went to start up the Jeep, went down the road a little, and started smelling something burning, smelled like rubber. I checked everything and could not find anything. I did not notice the smell as I was unhooking the Jeep, just after starting back up. The smell went away after a few minutes. So after camping for the weekend and towing back home I noticed the same smell. Has anyone else experienced this?
I checked a couple of RV site forums and they suggested it was probably road debris on the exhaust burning off...The owners manual suggested unhooking the negative battery cable, is there something trying to run when I am towing, and is it burning up?
Thanks for your replies.

2007 Rubicon Unlimited 4D Silver, 4" Superlift
35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s, Summit Racing 15" wheels
Smittybilt XRC front bumper with XRC8 Syn

96 XJ, 8"lift, 36" Swampers, 8.8 detroit rear, lots of other mods
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-19-2009, 11:17 PM
Wheeler

Interested Also

I am interested in any anwsers as I am looking to flat tow my JK also. I have also read on RV forums about road grime on the exhaust system. Check out RV.net in the toad forum search Jeep and a lot of threads show up.

Slight hijack,

Hambone,

What setup are you using to flat tow your JK? Are you using an aftermarket bumper or what not. What breaking system are you using also.

Thanks,

Chili_p

2009 JK X 2 Door, Auto, Soft Top, Deep Water Blue Pearl
Terra Flex 2.5" BB,Bed-lined Rubi Rims/Tires, sPOD, FLW Rock Sliders.
Ordered Finishline West Chubby 2.0 now waiting on UPS or FedEx.
My other hobby
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old 08-20-2009, 04:01 AM
Wheeler

It is road grime on the exhaust. I have flat towed my JK the last 2 years now. On a long tow and dirty roads it will even smoke some. That can be scary.

I have also had times when towing to A,laska on the Alaska Hwy when wet and or dusty, that the Radiator cooling fan will get full of dirt and jam up. After getting into Anchorage after 4 days of towing, the jeep was smoking so bad and was getting hot. It was all the road grime and the fan was not turning. The fix is to block the front of radiator so dirt wont blow thru but also blowing out the fan motor before starting or at least spin it by hand to be sure it is clear as dirt will still get in from below. I still have the stock fan and this is after having it jam up several times. Once I had to flush it out with a hose.

When I first started out and left So Fla. The dealer had overfilled the Motorhome oil and it was blowing some out the breather. It is a Diesel Pusher so the breather tube is near the rear and spalttered the under side of the jeep. Took a while to burn that off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 08-20-2009, 06:33 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Thanks, I was hoping that it was nothing with the Jeep. I have an outdoor hose on my RV so maybe a quick wash down would be helpful after a long pull.
We are planning a trip from Georgia to Yellowstone in July 2010. That will probably be the longest trip we go on, we mostly have been camping within 4-6 hours of home.
My towing set up is currently, a Smittybilt XRC Bumper that I had Roadmaster Universal Brackets welded to. It kinda sucked grinding the nice Powdercoat off of a new bumper to weld them on, but I think it is better than just bolting them on. I also have a Brake Buddy. I am using one of the Reese 5000 lb tow bars right now and really have had no issues with it, but I am looking for an Blue OX Aventa 10000 lb tow bar on the local boards, Craigslist etc... I would rather have the tow bar rated for a higher weight than what I actually need, probably overkill but I would feel safer.

2007 Rubicon Unlimited 4D Silver, 4" Superlift
35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s, Summit Racing 15" wheels
Smittybilt XRC front bumper with XRC8 Syn

96 XJ, 8"lift, 36" Swampers, 8.8 detroit rear, lots of other mods
post #5 of 11 Old 08-20-2009, 12:58 PM
Wheeler

I have Smitty Built Bumpers also. I just used the Shackle mounts. Modifiyed the Mopar towbar and use grade 8 bolts right to the shackle mounts. They are welded thru on both sides and have held just fine. Have to line up just right to hook up but I can deel with it.

Yellowstone is great. Any plans to go up to Glacier? A must see!
post #6 of 11 Old 08-20-2009, 05:37 PM
Wheeler

We have towed our JK several thousand miles and get the funky smell as well, the longer the tow the longer it takes to burn off, but its just road grime build up so no worries.
post #7 of 11 Old 08-21-2009, 10:41 AM
Rock God

I have towed mine for the last three years multiple thousands of miles...always get the smell, my Dad does on his XJ too, and it is 11 year old...so, imho, no worries...its a Jeep thing...

2007 Jeep Wrangler X, Auto, Hardtop, White, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME HD springs, Rusty's Adj. F/R trac-bars, Bilstein Steering Stabilizer, JKS Quicker Disconnects, JKS Rear Swaybar Extensions, PolyPerformance UCAs f/r, Rusty's LCAs f/r, 33x12.5 BFG KM2s, ProComp 15x8 Rockcrawlers, Smitty winch, Body Armor Front Bumper, FLW SS rear bumper, OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Skid Row Engine and Tranny Skid, Member UFWD & BRC, †John 3:16†
post #8 of 11 Old 08-21-2009, 08:47 PM

Smile

I have been towing my Jk for about 8 months now and haven't had any problems but have smelled the same thing use talked about..

I use a blue ox towbar and made some ears for the towbar that allow me to attach it to the front clevis points on my rockhard bumper. I went to the farm store and got some 3/4" pins to attach the bumper to the towbar ears.

I use a SMI brake system which works really well.

I need battery power for the SMI Brake system so I could not disconnect the negitave terminal like the owners manual suggests. I went to Walmart and found a battery quick disconnect. I had to drill the battery terminal connection hole out so that it will fit over the positive battery terminal.

Win
post #9 of 11 Old 08-22-2009, 04:30 PM
Granite Guru

We use the Demco Tow Bars with the Unified Brake System that ties in with our Holiday Rambler brake system. I bought a 6 inch hitch extension from Demco that raises the tow point and levels out the bars so we are back to specs for towing. The tow bars attach to our Shrockworks bumper. No problems towing over the last three years. We also get the smell and that goofy noise in the fuse box whenever we hook up.

One advantage of the Unified System is that it uses an auxillary vacuum pump to activate the power brakes on the Jeep. I'm going to put in a switch that will allow me to turn on the pump when I want to. If I stall on a hill, I can hit the switch and rely on the vacuum pump and battery to maintain my Jeep power brakes.
post #10 of 11 Old 05-29-2017, 11:04 AM

been towing my 08 from Fl to Co annually and all points in between....to answer your question ...YES..HELL YESS..
have never found anything....no help here sorry ...
post #11 of 11 Old 05-29-2017, 11:17 AM

Also,
Jeep has 35's and 4" lift.. jeep #4.. Nothing stock about the suspension.
42 DP pulling, cameras let me know its there. Blue Ox 10K bar and hitch welded to the bumper attached to frame.
Have tried several designs of break assist for the jeep opted for the simple tow lights to the rear fenders and a break buddy to stop things. monitor towing and coach with noncontact probe all is normal ..
My main concern is however replacing the steering stabilizer every year. use the cheapest 4WP has.. would like to try a better quality unit. Tech said in some cases the wheels may not cut to follow the coach...sounds fishy plus its the only time i'heard it.. has any one else ever heard of this phenomenon...?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode