3.0L Diesel in a JK - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 11-10-2013, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
jss
Rock God

3.0L Diesel in a JK

We have been looking into a Diesel engine in a Jeep, this is a idea. Using the Jeep 3.0L engine and the 6L80 or the 6L90 GM trans, because the 8 speed i think is not ready.

We found some engines, we just need to get them. That is going to be the hard part, something we are going to work on in 2014.
Attached Images

["jeep speed shop The GuineaPig Build"]
VVT Truck Hemi Conversions
The ONLY CARB LEGAL JEEP ENGINE CONVERSION

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

7911 Redwood Dr, Cotati, Ca. 94931
707-338-3154
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 11-10-2013, 07:46 PM
Rock God

Will it be ready by Feb, I'll be in Vegas?!

08 "X", RC BB, 33" Duratracs, Coast 1310 front, Hellfires, Woods evap relo.
post #3 of 23 Old 11-10-2013, 07:51 PM
Rock God

Diesel 8 sod sounds really good though.

JKUR auto | 5:38 | tires 36"x17 wheels 9"x4.5"bs | TF 6"| ASFIR bumpers, skids | SuperWinch EPi9.5 | RCV shafts | SC traildash | Xenon fenders | OBA York

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 11-10-2013, 08:24 PM
JKO Addict!

Just drop a duramax in one

08 2 door (yes they made them) 3.5 RK lift, 35s lunchbox locked 30 front 44 LSD rear

Ocala Jeep Club CERT member. Nation's 1st jeep CERT team

Proud to be deplorable

post #5 of 23 Old 11-11-2013, 10:38 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I see the 'Gale Banks' sticker on the valve cover...sweeeet.What's the specs?

Somethin's happenin' here,what it is ain't exactly clear,there's a man with a gun over there,a tellin' me,I have to beware.....
post #6 of 23 Old 11-11-2013, 10:44 AM
JKowners Vendor

When the Baby Duramax is available

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

MoTech
725-502-8507

post #7 of 23 Old 11-11-2013, 11:33 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
I see the 'Gale Banks' sticker on the valve cover...sweeeet.What's the specs?
http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/1...diesel_engine/

post #8 of 23 Old 11-11-2013, 12:26 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Thanx for the link I had the 2.8 crd/5 spd auto.VM makes damn good diesel engines and I would not have a problem owning another.

Somethin's happenin' here,what it is ain't exactly clear,there's a man with a gun over there,a tellin' me,I have to beware.....
post #9 of 23 Old 11-11-2013, 12:35 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
Thanx for the link I had the 2.8 crd/5 spd auto.VM makes damn good diesel engines and I would not have a problem owning another.
The Banks numbers are impressive but if money were no object, that v8 Cummins coming in the Titan next year would be on my short list.

post #10 of 23 Old 11-11-2013, 02:41 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
The Banks numbers are impressive but if money were no object, that v8 Cummins coming in the Titan next year would be on my short list.
None of it is going to mater to me since i don't know that i could ever justify the cost of a engine swap that would likely run $25k, just like the 4bt swap.

Sure, i'd love the near unlimited power, but for that money, i'd just buy a buggy and be done.

I think this thing is finally coming together. Still Needed: drive shafts, frame mount rails...then done son! For a while...
post #11 of 23 Old 12-25-2013, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
jss
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
We are looking into the 5.0L in the Titan, but I'm working a deal on the 3.0L for now.

["jeep speed shop The GuineaPig Build"]
VVT Truck Hemi Conversions
The ONLY CARB LEGAL JEEP ENGINE CONVERSION

7911 Redwood Dr, Cotati, Ca. 94931
707-338-3154
post #12 of 23 Old 12-25-2013, 06:08 PM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to DiscoBayJoe

If you need a test mule, I know of a silver Jeep in the east bay that is in dire need of a Diesel Swap

2008 JKUR 3.5" Frankenlift : RK/Artec/Synergy/Reid/Currie/PSC - Spyder'd Out - 35" MTR/K's on Spyderlocks - BinksFab Tailgate
post #13 of 23 Old 12-25-2013, 06:10 PM
Granite Guru

I would love a diesel JK but the issues I see are cost of the swap and performance/economy limitations of modern passenger cars thanks to Bull Shite EPA restrictions. Diesel Exhaust Fluid, Diesel Particulate Filters, Regeneration cycles, etc. CAT is getting completely out of the on-highway diesel game due to all of the restrictions.

I hope you guys luck in your endeavor because if you can get it to be affordable, perform well, and still be an emissions legal swap I'd be all in on selling a kidney.

Americans can sleep peaceably at night because US Soldiers stand ready to fight on their behalf

2008 Unlimited Rubicon: 37's, 3" Synergy Springs, Artec trusses, 5.38's, Winch, PSC/Poly Cage, Bumpers, TNT Alum belly skids, and other doodads
post #14 of 23 Old 12-25-2013, 08:39 PM
Granite Guru

Just read that Banks article and I will say I like the looks of this engine. Hmmm....

Americans can sleep peaceably at night because US Soldiers stand ready to fight on their behalf

2008 Unlimited Rubicon: 37's, 3" Synergy Springs, Artec trusses, 5.38's, Winch, PSC/Poly Cage, Bumpers, TNT Alum belly skids, and other doodads
post #15 of 23 Old 12-25-2013, 08:41 PM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to DiscoBayJoe

Yea I thought the same thing. I called banks and had them ad me to their list to notify when they come available. No pricing yet.

2008 JKUR 3.5" Frankenlift : RK/Artec/Synergy/Reid/Currie/PSC - Spyder'd Out - 35" MTR/K's on Spyderlocks - BinksFab Tailgate
post #16 of 23 Old 12-26-2013, 03:14 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
I would love a diesel JK but the issues I see are cost of the swap and performance/economy limitations of modern passenger cars thanks to Bull Shite EPA restrictions. Diesel Exhaust Fluid, Diesel Particulate Filters, Regeneration cycles, etc. CAT is getting completely out of the on-highway diesel game due to all of the restrictions.

I hope you guys luck in your endeavor because if you can get it to be affordable, perform well, and still be an emissions legal swap I'd be all in on selling a kidney.
Sort of. The emissions laws are getting to the point of ridiculous now. It seems like they have reached the point where they are just saying "well, what limits can we put on them now?". But CAT actually was already out of the on highway game, back when DEF came to be standard. Now, the regulations are going to start applying to off highway vehicles as well. I've seen some new cat trucks running around these parts, so they must be back in.

It's a real piss off being from a place that isn't so pollution controlled. Yes, your converter has to be there, technically. But we don't have E Testing, or nearly the regulations on passenger vehicles.

The Banks diesel looks like a phenomenal swap. I'd love to have a diesel in my JK. Especially if I could still retain the manual transmission. I'm a big diesel fan, minus the price at the pumps. But, small potatoes if I only went there half as much. I can imagine that the price would be the biggest object though. Maybe some day.

Good luck JSS taking this on. I really wish you luck in building the Jeep that Chrysler should have.

2011 Sahara Tan 2dr Rubicon
Rock Krawler Stock Mod w/ Fox Evolution 2.0's - 36 X 12.5 X 15" Interco TSL's on Black Steel wheels - Rock Krawler track bars front and back - Poison Spyder Customs BFH front bumper w/ Brawler bar - Warn HS9500i winch w/ synthetic rope - Trail Head Deflators - Viair 440P Compressor Instagram: jeepethan

Last edited by 2Door; 12-26-2013 at 03:17 PM.
post #17 of 23 Old 12-26-2013, 04:09 PM
Rock God

I read over on another Jeep forum that the 14' GC diesel guys are getting 26-28mpg with ease. All of whom are getting that mileage within the first few hundred miles... I would expect them to gain more mpg's once the engine gets broken in. I'm sure you could achieve the same mpg's with the JK considering it's 1,200lbs lighter than the GC.

I bet the AEV guys will have a kit together in the next 12 months.

“Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.” - Jeremy Clarkson
post #18 of 23 Old 12-27-2013, 09:13 PM
JKowners Vendor

Keep expectations real. I heard a rumor this powertrain will be close to $18k (could be a rough estimate), add labor and an install kit and your talking $30k to get it in a JK. Hope I'm wrong. This is more than a LS3 or 6.4 Hemi.

In stock trim the 4x4 GC Pentstar is rated at 24 mpg and the 3.0 diesel at 28 mpg. Factor in the cost of diesel fuel and there is not much fuel savings. The Pentstar has 290 HP vs the diesel's 240 and costs a lot less to purchase which should be factored into value for money. Modern 8 and 9 speed transmissions allow smaller engines to run more effectively in their power bands.

Fact is modern petrol engines have got much better and diesel's have been chocked down with emissions equipment which adds greatly to the cost of the vehicle and maintenance. I think the 3.0 VM would be in the mid 30's mpg if set free.

Also consider the availability of diesel fuel if you live or travel far from an Interstate; unlike Europe diesel is not as prolific in the US and can cost 20% more than petrol.

That being said I think a diesel JK would be great. I have high hopes for the GM baby Duramax if is ever released, since tuning will be easy and GM will produce large numbers of them driving the cost down. Plus it should have some level of interchangeability with the LS if used in the 1/2 ton trucks.

So to make sense in a JK the diesel engine must be affordable, tuneable, lightweight construction, have power on par with the petrol engine(I have customers in Europe and Australia disappointed with the 2.8 crd performance and cooling), and offer efficiencies over the petrol engine when it comes to range and cost of operation.

MoTech
725-502-8507

post #19 of 23 Old 01-03-2014, 11:12 AM
Wheeler

SO Much Want a diesel for my LJ
A stand-alone swap kit is long overdue!

+1 for using a Manual tranny also -
post #20 of 23 Old 01-03-2014, 02:13 PM
Rock God

Robbie Sara's jeep build 2015 with a baby duramax?

Texas Complete Truck Center
5670 S Interstate 35
New Braunfels, Texas
(210) 412-6379

post #21 of 23 Old 01-03-2014, 03:25 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave View Post
Robbie Sara's jeep build 2015 with a baby duramax?
We had a baby girl just after midnight last night

GM hasn't delivered the baby Duramax yet but when they do your on.

MoTech
725-502-8507

post #22 of 23 Old 07-20-2015, 04:21 AM
Granite Guru

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Irishcoffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoTech View Post
Keep expectations real. I heard a rumor this powertrain will be close to $18k (could be a rough estimate), add labor and an install kit and your talking $30k to get it in a JK. Hope I'm wrong. This is more than a LS3 or 6.4 Hemi.

In stock trim the 4x4 GC Pentstar is rated at 24 mpg and the 3.0 diesel at 28 mpg. Factor in the cost of diesel fuel and there is not much fuel savings. The Pentstar has 290 HP vs the diesel's 240 and costs a lot less to purchase which should be factored into value for money. Modern 8 and 9 speed transmissions allow smaller engines to run more effectively in their power bands.

Fact is modern petrol engines have got much better and diesel's have been chocked down with emissions equipment which adds greatly to the cost of the vehicle and maintenance. I think the 3.0 VM would be in the mid 30's mpg if set free.

Also consider the availability of diesel fuel if you live or travel far from an Interstate; unlike Europe diesel is not as prolific in the US and can cost 20% more than petrol.

That being said I think a diesel JK would be great. I have high hopes for the GM baby Duramax if is ever released, since tuning will be easy and GM will produce large numbers of them driving the cost down. Plus it should have some level of interchangeability with the LS if used in the 1/2 ton trucks.

So to make sense in a JK the diesel engine must be affordable, tuneable, lightweight construction, have power on par with the petrol engine(I have customers in Europe and Australia disappointed with the 2.8 crd performance and cooling), and offer efficiencies over the petrol engine when it comes to range and cost of operation.

I agree with the above. Why?

Well currently my VM 2.8 Common Rail Diesel (CRD) stays with the engine block blown apart. Hope in August I will get the answer to this.
Everything started with a clocking sound coming from the engine (initially I thought the injector is faulty again) for a couple of minutes, no dash indicator (oil, engine sign, etc) went on and than after 5 minutes the engine blows. Blue smoke and I had to get down to recover from the road some parts of the JK's engine block and other parts blown away. However, we were lucky to be on an asphalt highway driving about 80 km/h; steering was lost and I merely was able to control the JK outside the road to wait for the platform to winch it up. With 1000 km before this incident I just had the maintenance done (fluids change, etc etc).

Anyway until now as sole owner of a JKU with a 2009 VM CRD, mild off-road, 33" tires, 3:73, and I can say after 178.000 km on the odometers (done exclusively by me) the following:

- 2.8 CRD VM are not a reliable option in terms of cooling: currently if outside temperatures are above 25C I can NOT drive the JKU above 130 km/h assuming a 2700 rot/min (33" and 3:73 gear ratio); above 130 km/h the temperature indicator on the dash goes beyond 90C; I monitored via the OBDIII the engine parameters several times and this is a construction problem and not something else;
to this it seems I found a solution: pairing a special adapter kit for a HD electric SPAL fan engine with higher output power which allows on high circuit to cool better the engine (will see if this will work after repairing the engine );

- 2.8 CRD VM are not reliable option in terms of injectors: currently I had to replace injectors twice assuming I used only best diesel on the market and there is no need4speed in terms of my JK; BOSCH injectors are crappy and this was also confirmed by the folks which are refurbishing these injectors (to sensible to current diesel norms); new Bosch injectors are pricey (not refurbished) about 800-1000 EURO/pcs.

To all the above add the DPF (Diesel particulate filter), EGR (the infamous I know) and other complications requested by the European norms for a diesel.

There were also other smaller issues with this VM (turbo hoses blown before 80.000, popping out from the 3rd gear sometimes, etc) but which I consider minor things against the above two major and serious issues with these VMs.
Every 10.000 km this engine was receiving by the book maintenance including original parts and and best quality filters every time.

Anyway TRUST/RELIABILITY are away in my case when it comes to VM paired with a JK.

The electronic is killing unfortunately the diesels these days so my friendly advise is to stay away from VM as much possible if you want to pair them with a Jeep.

Personally I would choose by far a VW Diesel swap instead of a VM for a JK. I drove VW/Audi/Skoda (old VW PD engines or newer engines & totaling approx. > 500.000 km) and NEVER ever had "surprises" similar with this VM.

JKU Turbo Diesel (CRD), 2009, Front ARB Deluxe Bumper, IPf, Warn M8000, Fox 2.0IFP Shocks & JKS Springs, ASFIR skid, MThomson Clasic II 9x17, 34" Duractracs, 3:73 gear ratio; NSG370; rear locker

Last edited by Irishcoffee; 07-20-2015 at 04:46 AM.
post #23 of 23 Old 10-13-2016, 06:39 PM
Wheeler

Any updates? I unfortunately live in CA and have been contemplating the 3.0 ecodiesel swap because I could get it to potentially pass smog

'07 Redrock JKU PIGLET
Wheeling and Off-road Medical Support
🇺🇸🚒 I've got the best job in the world 🚒🇺🇸
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode