Chrysler ends Lifetime Powertrain Warranty - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 08-19-2009, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Talking Chrysler ends Lifetime Powertrain Warranty

From the Associated Press:

Chrysler cuts powertrain warranty to 5 years

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. Chrysler says its dropping its lifetime powertrain warranty in favor of a 5-year or 100,000-mile guarantee.

Chrysler Spokesman Rick Deneau says the decision was driven by market research that showed consumers prefer warranties with a fixed time period. Powertrain warranties typically cover repair or replacement of transmission and engine parts.

In addition, the 5-year, 100,000-mile warranties will be transferable to new owners if the vehicles are sold before they run out. The previous lifetime warranties were not transferable.

The change is effective with the start of the 2010 model year.

Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 08-19-2009, 03:14 PM
JKO Addict!

Good thing I have the life time, Not that they will honer it but I still can fight them
post #3 of 27 Old 08-19-2009, 03:15 PM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

yeah I want a warranty that runs out, where in the hell do they find these people. most people that I talk to buy for the longest and best warranty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 08-19-2009, 03:16 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Yeah I always felt it was a sales gimmick anyway. But it did cover rear axle seal at 40k miles

Transferable is cool but
Quote:
the decision was driven by market research that showed consumers prefer warranties with a fixed time period.
uh huh

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #5 of 27 Old 08-19-2009, 03:26 PM
Rock God

"market research"

"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it." -Ronald Reagan-
post #6 of 27 Old 08-19-2009, 03:44 PM
Granite Guru

What a joke lol
post #7 of 27 Old 08-19-2009, 03:45 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I saw a poll on the CAB that asked if you'd rather have the Lifetime PT warranty at the going price today, 5/100,000 that would net ~$500 lower price, and 3/50,000 at a little lower price still.

Maybe those are the exact numbers, but you get the point. That might be where they got some of their info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Killing kids is a disgrace, i don't care how little they are.

post #8 of 27 Old 08-19-2009, 04:50 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

I have seen the people they ask about market research and they are not one of us. They are the same people who voted for Obama and now when yu ask them they sheepishly look away and say they do not remember.

Jason

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #9 of 27 Old 08-19-2009, 05:02 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Dubya- View Post
From the Associated Press:

Chrysler cuts powertrain warranty to 5 years

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. Chrysler says its dropping its lifetime powertrain warranty in favor of a 5-year or 100,000-mile guarantee.

Chrysler Spokesman Rick Deneau says the decision was driven by market research that showed consumers prefer warranties with a fixed time period. Powertrain warranties typically cover repair or replacement of transmission and engine parts.

In addition, the 5-year, 100,000-mile warranties will be transferable to new owners if the vehicles are sold before they run out. The previous lifetime warranties were not transferable.

Bullsh#t , I'm sure Chrysler did research to determine how long people keep their vehicles on average and I bet it's somewhere around five years and one hundred thousand miles. In my opinion the lifetime warranty was nothing more than five years, one hundred thousand miles for most people. As far as the new transferable warranty is concerned, most people won't use it. Just more marketing bullsh#t. JMHO so
post #10 of 27 Old 08-19-2009, 05:04 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

"Fixed time period"...

"Oh, please tell me when it ends...I cannot comprehend "lifetime".

Vidi, vici, veni

2008 Jeep JK Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
jk-forum, jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler
post #11 of 27 Old 08-19-2009, 05:07 PM
Rock God

Garage

I agree - a closed ended time and milage limited warranty is favorable for the dealer who paid a consultant and a research firm to tell them what they wanted to hear. That is pretty much the stupidest thing I have heard in a long time.
I think the fact that I have 2 vehicles with this warranty I will try to keep them for a few decades - run them hard and make the dealer regret the day they sold me the warranties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.I.I.K View Post
Ok We need to organize a "Strippers and Blow Trail Run" It can raise money for college scholarships
Raleigh Meet and Greet,
Check the thread ------------->
post #12 of 27 Old 08-19-2009, 05:11 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmcd View Post
I agree - a closed ended time and milage limited warranty is favorable for the dealer who paid a consultant and a research firm to tell them what they wanted to hear. That is pretty much the stupidest thing I have heard in a long time.
I think the fact that I have 2 vehicles with this warranty I will try to keep them for a few decades - run them hard and make the dealer regret the day they sold me the warranties.
The dealer didn't sell them to you - they came with the purchase from the manufacturer. As long as the dealer can get Chrysler (or whomever) to honor the warranty, they will be more than happy to make the repairs. It's income for the dealer; they want the warranty to be honored as much as you do.

Vidi, vici, veni

2008 Jeep JK Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
jk-forum, jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler

Last edited by Ogie; 08-19-2009 at 05:23 PM.
post #13 of 27 Old 08-19-2009, 05:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdemonto View Post
I have seen the people they ask about market research and they are not one of us. They are the same people who voted for Obama and now when yu ask them they sheepishly look away and say they do not remember.

Jason
I think the people who they ask about market research are the dumbasses who didnt vote for GW once, but twice!

Dave

post #14 of 27 Old 08-19-2009, 05:38 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by karnuvore View Post
I think the people who they ask about market research are the dumbasses who didnt vote for GW once, but twice!

Dave

LOL......

I knew you would respond!

Jason

602-314-5356 or

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #15 of 27 Old 08-19-2009, 05:38 PM
Banned

Damn skippy .

post #16 of 27 Old 08-19-2009, 05:45 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by karnuvore View Post
Damn skippy .
And yes I did vote for GW twice

Jason

602-314-5356 or

/
/

post #17 of 27 Old 08-19-2009, 05:46 PM
Banned

post #18 of 27 Old 08-19-2009, 05:47 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubirobv View Post
Bullsh#t , I'm sure Chrysler did research to determine how long people keep their vehicles on average and I bet it's somewhere around five years and one hundred thousand miles. In my opinion the lifetime warranty was nothing more than five years, one hundred thousand miles for most people. As far as the new transferable warranty is concerned, most people won't use it. Just more marketing bullsh#t. JMHO so
Actually when Chrysler said lifetime, it meant 30 years & unlimited miles. Read the contract. My wife say's when I'm 80 I can get a new one.

POG MO THOIN

Last edited by PKDailey4; 08-19-2009 at 05:49 PM.
post #19 of 27 Old 08-19-2009, 05:48 PM
Banned

I bought my jeep exactly 13 days before they did the lifetime powertrain warranty. Piss on em and their warranty. Got 47k miles on mine.

post #20 of 27 Old 08-19-2009, 05:56 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

sorry guys they saw to many of my pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
post #21 of 27 Old 08-19-2009, 07:58 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Dubya- View Post

People who say they are waiting for the 2010 model might want to reconsider.
post #22 of 27 Old 08-19-2009, 10:05 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Does this mean that even '09's that go into service after the 2010's are out won't get the LPT warranty?

Quote:

post #23 of 27 Old 08-19-2009, 11:05 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperjkj View Post
Does this mean that even '09's that go into service after the 2010's are out won't get the LPT warranty?
No, the lifetime logos are on the window sticker.

Jason

602-314-5356 or

/
/

post #24 of 27 Old 08-20-2009, 08:20 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdemonto View Post
No, the lifetime logos are on the window sticker.

Jason
Gotcha. I guess that and the gay blue would be reason enough to buy an '09.

Quote:

post #25 of 27 Old 08-20-2009, 08:23 AM
Rock God

Garage

i have lifetime too, doubt they would ever cover anything but we will see

2008 BLACK Unlimited Sahara
Poly Performance 3"on 35" Xterrains and 15" Soft 8s, Front Pro Rock 44, FLW Front Prerunner, FLW Rear Bumper, FLW Rock Sliders, River Raider Gen2 Snorkel, Superior 5.13s,
and

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode