Bolts??? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 08-18-2009, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Send a message via AIM to FHMan1905
Bolts???

I installed my HID's today and had the "cowl" off where the wiper motor is running my wiring. When I went to reinstall it the threads on one of the torx bolts are all buggered up. Worth trying to rethread that little bolt or go to Jeep and buy several....Two were actually messed up but finally got one to take just had to snug it or else it stripped back out. The other two set down fine?

Any suggestions?

2007 Sahara Unlimited
4" Lift, 35" KM2's, Soft 8's, 4" HIDx windshield mounted, Finishlinewest rocksliders and 4.0 bumper, Bestop Trektop!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-18-2009, 08:54 PM
Rock God

Same thing happened to me. So if you get a fix post up so I can do the same
post #3 of 15 Old 08-18-2009, 08:57 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Depends, do you already have a die set?

If not it's probably cheaper to replace em. Unless of course the ends thats buggered is the hole..... then you'd need to run a tap through the threads there too.

Last edited by scottrock; 08-18-2009 at 09:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 08-18-2009, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrock View Post
Depends, do you already have a die set?

If not it's probably cheaper to replace em. Unless of course the ends thats buggered is the hole..... then you'd need to run a tap through the threads there too.
Yes we have a $1500 tap and die set at work....if someone hasn't "borrowed" it from the shop....if not I guess i will just go buy some new ones or a little cheap tap and die set at good ole harbor freight!!!

2007 Sahara Unlimited
4" Lift, 35" KM2's, Soft 8's, 4" HIDx windshield mounted, Finishlinewest rocksliders and 4.0 bumper, Bestop Trektop!

post #5 of 15 Old 08-18-2009, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

and no it is the threads...i can see where they are all messed up...looks like just soft metal for bolts....plus i ran others to check the holes

2007 Sahara Unlimited

post #6 of 15 Old 08-18-2009, 09:08 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Threads on the bolts too jacked up to straighten up with a small file?

Just throwin out some ideas. Them bolts are probably $5 a piece from the stealer
post #7 of 15 Old 08-18-2009, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Yeah that is what I am afraid of. Going to try and re thread them in the morning when I get to the office. If not I may try a junk yard before the stealer. And get some extra parts too!
post #8 of 15 Old 08-18-2009, 10:19 PM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

why not just hit the hardware store for a few cents per bolt?
post #9 of 15 Old 08-19-2009, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Had to order them from the dealer. Even Diamond Screw here in town didn't have or couldn't make anything. $7 a pop from the stealer!!
post #10 of 15 Old 08-19-2009, 10:31 AM
Rock God

Garage
Lightbulb Remember

Quote:
Originally Posted by FHMan1905 View Post

Any suggestions?
Remember that cross threading works better than loc-tight!

Paved Roads - Another Fine Example of Unnecessary Government Waste!
Modes - 3.5" Lift - Steel Jeep Bumper with Winch. Body Armor 4x4 Rear Bumper and Rock Sliders. - Hard Top painted White to repel the HEAT! - Ham\CB Radio - A few dents and Scratches John Bull Mod to Front & Rear Diff Covers. Woods Steering Stabilizer Relocation Bracket. Off-road Front, Rear and Rock Lights, Rear CAM, On Board Air.
post #11 of 15 Old 08-19-2009, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Tried that. Haha. Can't even get it to catch enough to cross thread!
post #12 of 15 Old 08-19-2009, 07:24 PM
Granite Guru

I HAD TO HAVE MY WIPER MOTOR REPLACED UNDER WARRANTY AND WHEN THE STEALER PUT MY COWL BACK ON THEY DIDNT PUT THE NYLON WASHERS BACK ON IN BETWEEN THE SCREWS AND PAINT. MY PAINT WAS TWISTED AND BUBBLED AROUND EVERY SCREW WHEN I WENT TO PICK IT UP. MAKE SURE YOU PUT THOSE WASHERS BACK ON. AFTER A YELLING MATCH WITH THE SERVICE MANAGER IN FRONT OF A CROWDED SERVICE AREA WAITING ROOM I SPOKE WITH THE OWNER OF THE DEALERSHIP WHO AGREED TO REPAINT MY COWLING.

I will never forget that I am an American, fighting for freedom, responsible for my actions, and dedicated to the principles which made this country free
post #13 of 15 Old 08-19-2009, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Yeah i got those still....for 7 bucks a bolt i better get washers and the retaining clip..but we'll see!!! supposed to be here tomorrow

2007 Sahara Unlimited

post #14 of 15 Old 08-19-2009, 07:44 PM
JKO Addict!

Sounds like you may have tightened one without them all in, eh?

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #15 of 15 Old 08-19-2009, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
Sounds like you may have tightened one without them all in, eh?

Just finger tight...the first time i took it off to mock up the lights to make a wiring harness when i reinstalled i just put all 4 in finger tight and they all caught. Then went around tightening them slightly with a wrench. But when i went to reinstall it last night two wouldn't really grab. I took my extension and pressed down and finally got one to start so I got it finger tight and the other never would even start...i don't really know what happened....i guess soft metal or i may have tossed a wrench in the tool box and smashed the threads...who knows?!?

2007 Sahara Unlimited

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode