The truth is always interesting... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 08-18-2009, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

The truth is always interesting...

Everyone knows there is a lot of obsession and talk over motor oils and base stock types and quality. Some people insist that PAO base stocks are far superior and are all pissed off at companies like Mobil 1 for switching from PAO bas stocks to Group III hydrocracked base stocks, and running around saying if you ain't buying PAO base you're an idiot.

The truth is always more interesting. This is a great read if you're a geek like me.

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/...?articleid=533
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 08-20-2009, 08:43 PM
Rock God

Whoa that's some interesting stuff. A little heavy but good stuff.

Now that's thinking with your dipstick Jimmy!
post #3 of 20 Old 08-23-2009, 05:38 PM
JKO Addict!

Way too long. What's the readers digest version?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 08-23-2009, 10:21 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
Way too long. What's the readers digest version?
x2...or even cliff's notes verson...

2007 Jeep Wrangler X, Auto, Hardtop, White, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME HD springs, Rusty's Adj. F/R trac-bars, Bilstein Steering Stabilizer, JKS Quicker Disconnects, JKS Rear Swaybar Extensions, PolyPerformance UCAs f/r, Rusty's LCAs f/r, 33x12.5 BFG KM2s, ProComp 15x8 Rockcrawlers, Smitty winch, Body Armor Front Bumper, FLW SS rear bumper, OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Skid Row Engine and Tranny Skid, Member UFWD & BRC, †John 3:16†
post #5 of 20 Old 08-23-2009, 10:41 PM
Granite Guru

WHOOSH! That's all I hear when something passes that far over my head. Thanks, but I'll just stick to herding electrons.

Can someone tell me how this affects us? Maybe in words that non-chemists can understand?

KD8NHC
08 4 Door Rubicon
Member of Two Trackers 4wd Club
Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association
United Four Wheel Drive Associations
post #6 of 20 Old 08-24-2009, 12:02 AM
Wheeler

Send a message via AIM to wildandwilln

Alot of reading for me

Roger & AnaLeah
Big Bear Lake, CA.
08 Rubicon Unlimited
Steel Blue
Lots of Goodies
6"TeraFlex LCG LA 37s
Work in Progress
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(408) 568-2963
post #7 of 20 Old 08-24-2009, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

LOL!!

Basically there are two classes of popular synthetic base stocks used in motor oil. Group III are petroleum bases, but are so highly refined that they can be legally classified as synthetic even though it's not a synthesized product. Most 'synthetics' on the shelf are really Group III petroleum bases. Group IV/V base stocks are true synthetics - in other words fully man-made base stocks. Group II stocks are less refined petroleum base stock and what you get when you buy 'conventional' oil.

Lotsa people think that synthetic on the bottle should mean just that - a man-made stock which is superior in all aspects. They think highly refined petroleum stocks labeled as synthetics are a cop-out, and that you aren't getting what you are paying for when shelling out for 'synthetic' oil. For example, Mobil 1 used to be a Group IV full-synthetic PAO base, and has since switched to Group III hydrocracked petroleum base, causing Mobil 1 fans to create quite an uproar about how Mobil 1 was copping out and how dare they do that to their customers.

In reality, there is a pretty big performance gap between Group II conventional base stocks and Group III/IV/V stocks. But the gap between petroleum Group III stocks and true synthetic Group IV/V stocks is so narrow it's hardly measurable - especially when you consider a lot of overall fine-tuning of performance qualities come from the additive package. When your base stocks perform so similarly you're talking minutiae and splitting hairs. Hence the legal classification on Group III base stocks as synthetic even if it ain't. True synthetic Group IV/V stocks are also MUCH more expensive to manufacture for almost no performance benefit, which is why so many synthetic oils have switched to Group III petroleum base.

FWIW When I say performance we're talking standard stuff like wear, viscosity shear, thermal stability, pour point and flow qualities, useful life, etc etc.

So although you'll hear the internet geniuses raise a fuss, their neighbor's Wal-Mart Group III synthetic is working and protecting just as well, and lasting as long, as their $10-quart magic pixie dust Group IV oil. Unless you're going to go 20k miles without a change, you'll never receive the benefit.

Group II 'conventionals' to synthetics worth the performance difference? To me, yes. Nitpicking over stock types in synthetics? Not so much.

They are developing even more refinement processes right now for petroleum stocks that will exceed the performance specs of the best Group IV/V oils, and they will still be much cheaper.

Don't think this is an easy pill to swallow for the vendors of super-premium synthetics like Amsoil, they'll argue this stuff until they're dead. Back when those types of oils were introduced, there was a real need for them because petroleum refinement was nowhere near where it is now. But, times are a changin'.

Last edited by BADGER; 08-24-2009 at 08:38 AM.
post #8 of 20 Old 08-24-2009, 09:02 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

^^^^^^^^^

Holy chit... that is the "short" version?
post #9 of 20 Old 08-24-2009, 09:12 AM
Rock God

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Defector View Post
LOL!!

Basically there are two classes of popular synthetic base stocks used in motor oil. Group III are petroleum bases, but are so highly refined that they can be legally classified as synthetic even though it's not a synthesized product. Most 'synthetics' on the shelf are really Group III petroleum bases. Group IV/V base stocks are true synthetics - in other words fully man-made base stocks. Group II stocks are less refined petroleum base stock and what you get when you buy 'conventional' oil.

Lotsa people think that synthetic on the bottle should mean just that - a man-made stock which is superior in all aspects. They think highly refined petroleum stocks labeled as synthetics are a cop-out, and that you aren't getting what you are paying for when shelling out for 'synthetic' oil. For example, Mobil 1 used to be a Group IV full-synthetic PAO base, and has since switched to Group III hydrocracked petroleum base, causing Mobil 1 fans to create quite an uproar about how Mobil 1 was copping out and how dare they do that to their customers.

In reality, there is a pretty big performance gap between Group II conventional base stocks and Group III/IV/V stocks. But the gap between petroleum Group III stocks and true synthetic Group IV/V stocks is so narrow it's hardly measurable - especially when you consider a lot of overall fine-tuning of performance qualities come from the additive package. When your base stocks perform so similarly you're talking minutiae and splitting hairs. Hence the legal classification on Group III base stocks as synthetic even if it ain't. True synthetic Group IV/V stocks are also MUCH more expensive to manufacture for almost no performance benefit, which is why so many synthetic oils have switched to Group III petroleum base.

FWIW When I say performance we're talking standard stuff like wear, viscosity shear, thermal stability, pour point and flow qualities, useful life, etc etc.

So although you'll hear the internet geniuses raise a fuss, their neighbor's Wal-Mart Group III synthetic is working and protecting just as well, and lasting as long, as their $10-quart magic pixie dust Group IV oil. Unless you're going to go 20k miles without a change, you'll never receive the benefit.

Group II 'conventionals' to synthetics worth the performance difference? To me, yes. Nitpicking over stock types in synthetics? Not so much.

They are developing even more refinement processes right now for petroleum stocks that will exceed the performance specs of the best Group IV/V oils, and they will still be much cheaper.

Don't think this is an easy pill to swallow for the vendors of super-premium synthetics like Amsoil, they'll argue this stuff until they're dead. Back when those types of oils were introduced, there was a real need for them because petroleum refinement was nowhere near where it is now. But, times are a changin'.
Thanks for translating that to English! I'm guessing it says I'm ok to keep runing Mobil 1. . .

Paved Roads - Another Fine Example of Unnecessary Government Waste!
Modes - 3.5" Lift - Steel Jeep Bumper with Winch. Body Armor 4x4 Rear Bumper and Rock Sliders. - Hard Top painted White to repel the HEAT! - Ham\CB Radio - A few dents and Scratches John Bull Mod to Front & Rear Diff Covers. Woods Steering Stabilizer Relocation Bracket. Off-road Front, Rear and Rock Lights, Rear CAM, On Board Air.
post #10 of 20 Old 09-02-2009, 08:36 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktuttle View Post
Thanks for translating that to English! I'm guessing it says I'm ok to keep runing Mobil 1. . .
Thats my take on it too.

KD8NHC
08 4 Door Rubicon
Member of Two Trackers 4wd Club
Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association
United Four Wheel Drive Associations
post #11 of 20 Old 09-02-2009, 08:53 PM
Rock God

I use Jiffy Lube takes away all the confusion.

"All wranglers are jeeps, not all jeeps are wranglers"

"Holding out for the Pentastar in 2012"
post #12 of 20 Old 09-03-2009, 03:02 AM
Wheeler

Short Version

Change your oil every 3 to 4 thousand miles. You'll be fine.
post #13 of 20 Old 09-04-2009, 07:42 PM
Rock God

Sounds like Group III cheaper than Group IV, sell at same price, make more profit....

Ron

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world.
But the Marines don't have that problem." ..... Ronald Reagan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 20 Old 09-04-2009, 08:52 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
LOL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RonGilbert View Post
^^^^^^^^^

Holy chit... that is the "short" version?
thats still too long lol

Everyone else can BLOW themselves cause im bad as FUCK!
post #15 of 20 Old 09-04-2009, 09:05 PM
Alec W

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktuttle View Post
Short version for the win. Mobile 1 every 5-6K and a decent filter.
post #16 of 20 Old 09-05-2009, 09:54 AM
Rock God

crap and i just signed up to be a dealer for Amsoil...
post #17 of 20 Old 09-05-2009, 10:19 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneCav View Post
Short Version

Change your oil every 3 to 4 thousand miles. You'll be fine.
Thanks! I just don't have that kind of time...you know, that READING stuff.

Nena Barlow

-- downloadable maps & trailbooks

post #18 of 20 Old 09-06-2009, 12:38 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderingtrail View Post
Sounds like Group III cheaper than Group IV, sell at same price, make more profit....

Ron
+1
post #19 of 20 Old 09-07-2009, 12:34 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to WTF_LOL

Quote:
  • Group II - 'conventional' oil.
  • Group III - petroleum bases so highly refined that they can be legally classified as synthetic
  • Group IV/V - are true synthetics

Mobil 1 used to be a Group IV base, and has since switched to Group III
Mobil 1 fans create quite an uproar about how Mobil 1 was copping out

big performance gap between Group II and Group III/IV/V

gap between Group III and Group IV/V is so narrow it's hardly measurable

Group IV/V stocks are more expensive to manufacture for almost no performance benefit, which is why so many synthetic oils have switched to Group III petroleum base.

Wal-Mart Group III synthetic is working and protecting just as well as their $10-quart magic pixie dust Group IV oil.

Unless you're going to go 20k miles without a change, you'll never receive the benefit.

I like what you wrote but I deleted a bunch of words for the TLDR crowd
post #20 of 20 Old 09-08-2009, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Dang, it's about time someone came and put my long-winded arse in check for the rest of the world! And....hey! I am not a nerd!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode