FYI...RR light brakets don't work with HIDx - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 08-17-2009, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Send a message via AIM to FHMan1905
FYI...RR light brakets don't work with HIDx

I just got in my 4" HIDx lights today from RDM Off-road. I got some new Rugged Ridge Windshield brackets off eBay for 10 bucks only to find out they don't provide enough clearance for the deeper HIDx lights. Not a big deal i am taking them to the fab shop in the morning to have a thin piece of plate welded to the bracket to extend it more. They came real close to fitting but the back of the lights were resting on the windshield. Was still able to get them mocked up and a wiring harness made....boy they are bright...

Just some info if you guys are looking for HIDx lights and brackets...Lights are highly recommended.

Lance

2007 Sahara Unlimited
4" Lift, 35" KM2's, Soft 8's, 4" HIDx windshield mounted, Finishlinewest rocksliders and 4.0 bumper, Bestop Trektop!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-18-2009, 02:52 PM
Rock God

I use the lights on my WJ as well, I'm so so on how much I like them (quality reasons)

How far off of the windshield do you need light brackets to be? I'd be curious to see if ours clear them.

I no longer work with Warrior. I am now working with The FIRM.
post #3 of 10 Old 08-18-2009, 03:23 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason @ Warrior View Post
I use the lights on my WJ as well
The one WJ I love more than my own.

jk-forum, jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler, project-jk, jeep JK, JK wrangler, JK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec W View Post
Maybe we should all post the thing? He prolly won't ban us all. You go first Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 08-18-2009, 06:29 PM
Rock God

The KC brackets don't work with'em either.

BEER Helping me do stupid things to my JK since 2007!
post #5 of 10 Old 08-18-2009, 07:20 PM
Rock God

Because of the integrated ballast, the HIDX lights are a little deeper than others. HIDX has addressed this issue for the JK by creating a windshield bracket that allows the proper placement of either size light (4" or 7").

The new brackets can be found here: http://www.rdmoffroad.com/HIDX-Winds...angler-JK.aspx

JKOWNERS Member Discount Available at:

Click the link to automatically apply the current offer!

Follow us on:

post #6 of 10 Old 08-18-2009, 08:17 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM Offroad View Post
Because of the integrated ballast, the HIDX lights are a little deeper than others. HIDX has addressed this issue for the JK by creating a windshield bracket that allows the proper placement of either size light (4" or 7").

The new brackets can be found here: http://www.rdmoffroad.com/HIDX-Winds...angler-JK.aspx
Saw them. Now I'm debating between those or relocating that second set of lights on my front bumper bar with a couple of your Fourtreks Modular horizontal tabs. I'm starting to like the view out of the windshield without any lights there.

Anyone know any advantage to lights at the windshield as opposed to the bumper?

BEER Helping me do stupid things to my JK since 2007!
post #7 of 10 Old 08-18-2009, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

I went to the local welding shop this morning and 20 minutes and 5 bucks later had (2) 2.5" long pieces of c-channel that tuck nicely under the mounting tab on the bracket. Had them punch two 1/2" diameter holes in the c-channel one for a light mount and the other to mount it to the bracket to allow more adjustablity if i move the 4" to my bumper and put 7" on the windshields....

Always a solution for every problem....

2007 Sahara Unlimited
4" Lift, 35" KM2's, Soft 8's, 4" HIDx windshield mounted, Finishlinewest rocksliders and 4.0 bumper, Bestop Trektop!

post #8 of 10 Old 08-18-2009, 08:38 PM
Rock God

Lance,

I'm sorry for your troubles with those brackets, but am glad to hear you have a solution in place. I have not tested these lights on various brackets, but I do know there are limitations because of the depth of the housing... as James from RDM stated. We have our new brackets at powder coating right now, and they will be available for our dealers next week. Understanding that our lights are deeper than most halogens, we have worked quickly to provide a product that we know will work in conjunction with them. Thanks for the heads up and the feedback, and again, I am sorry for the inconvenience. In an effort to help anybody else, I am attaching the approximate dimensions for both the 4" and 7" lights below...

Jason

Dave Dorsen [847-410-3750]

*Dealer inquiries welcome*
post #9 of 10 Old 08-18-2009, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

heres a couple of pics!

Here are some pics of the brackets installed....sorry for the sh!tty pics....iPhone

Name:  Bracket1.JPG
Views: 124
Size:  139.5 KB

Name:  Bracket2.JPG
Views: 120
Size:  150.9 KB

Name:  Bracket3.JPG
Views: 126
Size:  166.0 KB

2007 Sahara Unlimited

post #10 of 10 Old 08-18-2009, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidX View Post
Lance,

I'm sorry for your troubles with those brackets, but am glad to hear you have a solution in place. I have not tested these lights on various brackets, but I do know there are limitations because of the depth of the housing... as James from RDM stated. We have our new brackets at powder coating right now, and they will be available for our dealers next week. Understanding that our lights are deeper than most halogens, we have worked quickly to provide a product that we know will work in conjunction with them. Thanks for the heads up and the feedback, and again, I am sorry for the inconvenience. In an effort to help anybody else, I am attaching the approximate dimensions for both the 4" and 7" lights below...

Jason

Not a problem...like I said I got these off ebay for 10 bucks new so 5 more bucks isn't a biggy...haha. I was expecting them not to fit anyway so I wasn't shocked. Just wanted to give people the heads and look your way for brackets if they are getting the HIDx

2007 Sahara Unlimited

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode