Flat towing questions - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 11-01-2013, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Flat towing questions

Towed the 13 JK 2 door for the first time this past weekend, I regularly towed my 06 Rubi before this, so not a newby at flat towing. But I have some questions.

What part of the exhaust gets the road grime build up on it?

I remember reading a post on this, but for the life of me I can not find it again. I ask because after towing it home Sunday I noticed a strong burnt rubber smell coming from underneith. (Never had that on the TJ.)

This was mentioned in the article/post I had read and I was wondering if anyone found a solution for it. Or will I just need to live with it and find a way to clean the debris off before driving again.

Overall, other than that one annoying factor, the JK towed better than the TJ did.

Thanks for any help or advice,

Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-01-2013, 01:01 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I think I flat tow my JKU more miles than I drive it. I have gotten used to the burn after towing. I think the grime gets all over everything, but probably the most smell comes from the exhaust and cats. It usually only lasts a few miles, and I use the recirc button so I am not gagged out

I don't think there is any way to avoid it.

2011 Unlimited Rubicon
Currently: Henderson, CO
post #3 of 7 Old 11-01-2013, 01:52 PM
Wheeler

I have towed my 2012 unlimited a couple thousand miles so far and have not had any burnt smell what so ever. Is this a smell the first time you drive it after towing or when you first start towing?

What I have been doing, and probably overkill, I am putting both the trans and t-case in neutral when I tow and disconnecting the battery while towing and have a wiring harness where the stock jeep taillights run off the truck trailer lights (no magnetic lights). Not sure if any of that info helps or not.

2012 JKU Sahara, basically stock
1989 4Runner, SAS, ARBs, 35's, yada yada yada
1998 Tj 1ton build in progress, stretch to LJ dimensions, chevy v8 (350+hp), auto, duals, 1tons, 40's, coilovers, the usual family wheeler

Former Team Quadratec driver #831
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 11-01-2013, 01:58 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by holiday13 View Post
I have towed my 2012 unlimited a couple thousand miles so far and have not had any burnt smell what so ever. Is this a smell the first time you drive it after towing or when you first start towing?

What I have been doing, and probably overkill, I am putting both the trans and t-case in neutral when I tow and disconnecting the battery while towing and have a wiring harness where the stock jeep taillights run off the truck trailer lights (no magnetic lights). Not sure if any of that info helps or not.
Neither a manual or automatic transmission should be in neutral when towing - just the transfer case. I keep my auto in Park, and when i had my manual, would use 5th. The owner's manual section on flat towing will give you the recommendation for your transmission.

2011 Unlimited Rubicon
Currently: Henderson, CO
post #5 of 7 Old 11-04-2013, 05:44 PM
Granite Guru

It's not just a Jeep thing. A lot of 4 down towed vehicles need to burn it off. Might be the pavement type, miles driven or the tow vehicle shedding rubber. No idea. Lots of old folks with motor homes complain about it on the RV forums.

No one has ever said it's hurt anything.

I've not noticed it yet on mine but I've only towed as far as 8 hours one way
post #6 of 7 Old 11-05-2013, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

The smell was only at start up and first drive after towing it home. Did not getthe smell after towing it to vacation destination, only after getting home. Must have been more garbage on the roads north bound.

I had Jeep install the MOPAR RV to Jeep wiring harness that will allow the RV to power rear lights. (Its factory so it plugs right into the harness) So I do not have to undo the battery, just put the TC in neutral and transmission back in park and tow away.

I really like that the steering column does not have a lock, so no more leaving keys in the ignition.

Greg
post #7 of 7 Old 11-05-2013, 04:57 PM
CalmerThanYouAre

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqjeep View Post
The smell was only at start up and first drive after towing it home. Did not getthe smell after towing it to vacation destination, only after getting home. Must have been more garbage on the roads north bound.

I had Jeep install the MOPAR RV to Jeep wiring harness that will allow the RV to power rear lights. (Its factory so it plugs right into the harness) So I do not have to undo the battery, just put the TC in neutral and transmission back in park and tow away.

I really like that the steering column does not have a lock, so no more leaving keys in the ignition.

Greg
Sounds like a sweet set up Greg. It sounds like its most likely road grit build up on the exhaust as stated above.

We've only rented an RV twice and we loved it.
Happy travels, Kyle

I support the military, fiscal responsibility, Hemp, legalization of Marijuana over 21, smaller government and the Bill of Rights.

NSA: The only part of the government that actually listens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode