Wheels and Tires - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 08-15-2009, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Wheels and Tires

One of the many areas of automotive repair/maintenance/care that I know absolutely dick about - wheels and tires.

Educate me on this..

What Im wanting to learn is what is a good size tire to wheel ratio. That is, if you have 8" wheels, what is a max width tire to run on that? Or is there such a thing? Same goes for 9", 10" etc. Explain to me why one is a better choice than another (if applicable).

I'm gonna change up my tires (and possibly wheels) eventually - so I just wanna learn what I should know before I start looking.

I also suck at anything electronic - I mean anything. But we'll save that for another thread.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-15-2009, 02:02 PM
Rock God

I'm decent with electronics so I can prob help better there. Someone posted somewhere that the ideal is 1/2 the wheel size for tire. so 15 for 30s 17s for 35s 20 for 40s something about overall side wall and if you run too small a wheel on a bigger tire then the sidewall can fold over itself etc and If too big a wheel and to small a tire not enough sidewall etc lol bad at explaining it but you get the point, or not, its posted somewhere just have to dig

07 Sahara Unlimited STEEL BLUE
Current Mods:3.5 Rock Krawler Mid Arm,
Teraflex drag linkflip kit(thanks Rooster),
18" XD Addict's on 35x12.5 Nitto Mud Grapplers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-15-2009, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Banned

yeah but Im taking the width of the wheel, not the diameter. 16x8, 16x9, 16x10 etc. I'm gonna run 36-38s regardless lol. Question is, will they be 12.50, 13.00, 13.50, 14.00, or 14.50.

Last edited by karnuvore; 08-15-2009 at 02:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 08-15-2009, 02:13 PM
Rock God

ahhhhhh, not a clue

Well actually I think it matter b/c of tire width the wider the tire the wider the wheel needs to be as to not cause the sidewall to bow and the top to kinda "hang over" the wheel so the tire from teh back looks like this )( where the middle sucks in and the top bows out

07 Sahara Unlimited STEEL BLUE
Current Mods:3.5 Rock Krawler Mid Arm,
Teraflex drag linkflip kit(thanks Rooster),
18" XD Addict's on 35x12.5 Nitto Mud Grapplers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-15-2009, 03:24 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

It's been discussd in length on this site and Pirate. A search will probably do you better justice. Width of the rim and tire are directly related to how stable/flexable the tire wheel combo will be.

The majority of crawlers will tell you narrow rim on wide tire. ie. 8" on 12.5
Their reasoning is the rim holds the tire on.

Guys that spend more time on the pavement will tell you no more then 2" smaller then the tire width. ie. 10" on a 12.5

I lean toward the the street guys, even on the trail, I've never had a balancing, rim damage, or tire dismounting issue. Everyone who walks up to my rig has always told me ot get narrower rims. (even as I pass them on the trail while they're reseating their tire)

Obama, The greatest gun salesman since the invention of firearms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscwerve View Post
This is exactly why we need to practice proper gun control.

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode