Teraflex rear carrier - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 64 Old 10-30-2013, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Teraflex rear carrier with 3rd brake light in stock location!

Who has the best prices on the complete rear teraflex kit for the JK tailgate?

(Amazon has won so far on everything else.... )

Last edited by YellowIH; 11-25-2013 at 09:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 Old 10-30-2013, 08:33 AM
JKowners Vendor

Send us a PM. We will help you out!

-Jason

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phone: 864-437-8029
post #3 of 64 Old 10-30-2013, 08:33 AM
JKO Addict!

It doesn't look like Amazon sells it, just third party sellers one of which happens to be a vendor on JKO.

Picking up the phone or sending an e-mail often works wonders when dealing with vendors as many will work with you within reason if they're still making money on it.

Sure my rig has seen the trail, but I wheel it like a soccer mom looking for a parking spot at Nordstroms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 64 Old 10-30-2013, 01:15 PM
Granite Guru

Marcus at River CIty Offroad has good pricing on it. I haven't bit the bullet yet, though.

And his customer service has been great on the other things I have purchased from him.
post #5 of 64 Old 10-31-2013, 10:07 AM
JKO Addict!

I'd really like one of those so I could lose the old style Teraflex swing out carrier, however they're not offering a 5x5.5" tire carrier.

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.
post #6 of 64 Old 10-31-2013, 10:39 AM
Cod
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via MSN to Cod

Did they ever get around to fixing the "breaking" problem with these?

Or has it been left up to the end user to gusset bracket?
post #7 of 64 Old 10-31-2013, 10:50 AM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cod View Post

They did update the weak point. I've had a 37" MTZ hanging on my TF carrier for about a year now without any issues. It gets taken down rough roads quite often and at speed. The road out to my father in law's place is about two miles of washboard and we run it at around 50 - 55 MPH. No sign of weakness yet!

The Jeep has also been banged around quite a bit in the rocks in the last few months and we haven't seen any issues. I check it religiously and am running this carrier because I love to open the tail gate more than any other door. LOL

Marcus

post #8 of 64 Old 10-31-2013, 10:57 AM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cod View Post

Joe here at TeraFlex is still running the original version with a 37" spare and has yet to have any failures with it. If your spare jiggles then you need to move the plate in another 1/4" to snug that spare against the carrier. However any customers that are concerned about theirs, just need to contact TeraFlex for a replacement.

801-713-3314
post #9 of 64 Old 10-31-2013, 11:16 AM
Cod
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via MSN to Cod

Glad to hear no more issues, I don't use it as I have bumper swing arm style but should I ever change rear bumpers I will try this out.
post #10 of 64 Old 10-31-2013, 11:44 AM
Granite Guru

I like mine a lot......one of the best mods i've done.
post #11 of 64 Old 10-31-2013, 11:56 AM
JKowners Vendor

We have done a TON of them with Zero issues so far...

-Jason

:

Phone: 864-437-8029
post #12 of 64 Old 10-31-2013, 06:30 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Let me see, $729 for a tire carrier or $885 for an ACE Engineering bumper with tire carrier swing gate that works with the tailgate. No brainer.

, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #13 of 64 Old 10-31-2013, 08:23 PM
Wheeler

I love the ACE rear bumper and tire carrier, but when you add the weight savings you get with the Teraflex carrier over a steel bumper/carrier they both have their own spot in the market. I've gotta keep my build light, so Teraflex or Genright is the way I'm leaning...
post #14 of 64 Old 11-02-2013, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

If I want to use the complete teraflex kit, how do I keep a third brake light in the stock location??? Does Tera make something?
post #15 of 64 Old 11-02-2013, 09:53 PM
Rock God

Garage

^^The TF kit calls for relocating the OEM third brake light to a plate that bolts through the two remaining bolt holes in the spare wheel. This same plate serves as a License tag relocation plate as well, if you want to go that route. TF also has this: http://www.teraflex.biz/jk-wrangler-...n-bracket.html, but as I recall, it is not compatible with the HD Hinge/Adj. Tire Carrier setup. See my build thread (link in sig) for my solution.

My Build Thread:

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
post #16 of 64 Old 11-03-2013, 01:04 AM
Granite Guru

I've had mine on since last DEC, carrying a 37" spare on OEM MOABs... had to get creative with the wheel mount, but I like it lots.

Now I need to buy the highlift mount as I have one of the xtra tall highlifts.

2010 Red Unlimited Rubicon 6 speed - Traded!

2014 Red Unlimited Rubicon X 6 speed - starting over!
post #17 of 64 Old 11-03-2013, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimiDozer View Post
^^The TF kit calls for relocating the OEM third brake light to a plate that bolts through the two remaining bolt holes in the spare wheel. This same plate serves as a License tag relocation plate as well, if you want to go that route. TF also has this: http://www.teraflex.biz/jk-wrangler-...n-bracket.html, but as I recall, it is not compatible with the HD Hinge/Adj. Tire Carrier setup. See my build thread (link in sig) for my solution.
That is what I want to do.

Wow. Makes no sense it would not work with their hinge/carrier. If that's true somebody has dropped the ball. PM sent to Teraflex.
post #18 of 64 Old 11-03-2013, 08:35 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowIH View Post
That is what I want to do.

Wow. Makes no sense it would not work with their hinge/carrier. If that's true somebody has dropped the ball. PM sent to Teraflex.
Just an educated guess on this, but it appears that the upright is too thick and will interfere with the tire sidewall as it is located by the HD adjustable mount. Now if it had a dog leg in it . . . In fact, I can't even locate a FireStick on the carrier mounting bolts without tire interference. I did it for the Jeep Jamboree in Moab, but the antenna was leaning forward probably 10-15* because of the tire. I have been basically pretty pleased with the TF setup, but locating accessories has been a big frustration. There's just nowhere to do it. And I'm not gonna bolt everything to my jack! But I digress . . .

Too thick.

No good solution.

I feel your pain.

My solution works for me. YMMV.

Oh, and could someone post some pics of the "revised" design? Not sure which one I have, but I too have had a 37 on mine for around a year now with zero issues.

My Build Thread:

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
post #19 of 64 Old 11-03-2013, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

From teraflexs site. Says it works with the swing out carrier. Surely that's the HD hinge and carrier right?

http://http://www.teraflex.biz/jk-wr...et.html#second
Details

This unique bracket solves many of the traditional problems that JK owners face when adding an aftermarket bumper, larger spare tire, spare tire carrier, and CB antenna. The brake light extension is completely adjustable in 1" increments to complement tires up to 38". An integrated CB antenna mount eliminates the need for additional bracketry. The extension bracket bolts to the factory spare tire mounting holes on the tailgate, and uses the factory wiring and light. Fits all JK Wranglers including Rubicon and Unlimited. Note: Stock brake light is not included, and must be re-used from the factory mounting bracket. Designed to fit the TeraFlex swing out spare tire carrier. Clearance may need to be checked on other swing out tire carriers before installation. Does not work with Warn tire carrier.

Last edited by YellowIH; 11-03-2013 at 09:29 PM.
post #20 of 64 Old 11-04-2013, 08:21 AM
Rock God

Garage

^^^ From the bolt hole locations that looks like it would just bolt up to the stock location right under the carrier. The kit does come with a brake light bracket though, it puts the brake light in the middle of the spare.

2008 JKU Rubicon. 2.5" Rock Krawler Stock Mod lift, 35x12.50x15 Cooper STT's on Pro-Comp D-windows, 5:13 gears, Uconnect Microphone mod, Husky Floor Liners, Mastercraft Grab Handles, Weathertech Side Window Deflectors, Hitch mounted D-Ring, Rancho Oil Pan Skid, Skid Row Evap Can Skid, and a Rugged Ridge Front Skid. Solid Diff Covers front and rear. Rock Slide Engineering Sliders.
post #21 of 64 Old 11-04-2013, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victim Of Pain View Post
^^^ From the bolt hole locations that looks like it would just bolt up to the stock location right under the carrier. The kit does come with a brake light bracket though, it puts the brake light in the middle of the spare.
I wanna maintain the stock location. It looks like it should work fine. Maybe cut off the CB mount and use something to shim it out as Teraflex mentioned in a PM. I know another member did something similar.

We will see.
post #22 of 64 Old 11-04-2013, 07:01 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowIH View Post
If I want to use the complete teraflex kit, how do I keep a third brake light in the stock location??? Does Tera make something?

I used this:
http://www.northridge4x4.com/shop/of...e-light-w-plug

Looks a lot cleaner then hacking up the stock light and was easy to wire.
post #23 of 64 Old 11-04-2013, 07:05 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I broke a original version of the TF carrier and they replaced in for free. I had my new part in like 2 days. +1 would buy again. The new version I don't think I could break if i tried.

Info:

|
post #24 of 64 Old 11-04-2013, 09:53 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeloJeff View Post
I used this:
http://www.northridge4x4.com/shop/of...e-light-w-plug

Looks a lot cleaner then hacking up the stock light and was easy to wire.
This is what I'm using on mine too. Here is a terrible picture... LOL

post #25 of 64 Old 11-04-2013, 09:56 PM
Rock God

Nice ass Marcus.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode