torque tubes - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 08-12-2009, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
rob
Wheeler

torque tubes

i am wanting to pep up the mini van like engine in my 2008 wrangler. I dont have the money for a hemi so please dont tell me to buy a hemi. Has anyone put a banks torque tubes system in and do you like the results. Iam also planning on putting in new air intake and cat back system as well. any suggestions?

Rob
2008 Rubicon, Green
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 08-12-2009, 10:11 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
i am wanting to pep up the mini van like engine in my 2008 wrangler. I dont have the money for a hemi so please dont tell me to buy a hemi. Has anyone put a banks torque tubes system in and do you like the results. Iam also planning on putting in new air intake and cat back system as well. any suggestions?
dont waste your money on a cai, specially if you ever going to go near mud/water....get the superchips flashpaq instead, I've seen very few claim they actually felt any real difference from cai or cat back....Are you stock now and do you plan on lifting it?
post #3 of 26 Old 08-12-2009, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
rob
Wheeler

torque tubes

yes iam stock now but plan to lift. ( 4" long arm ) this winter.

Rob
2008 Rubicon, Green
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 08-12-2009, 10:26 AM
Rock God

X2 on the Superchips Flashpaq. I just put it on mine and it made a difference in the get-up-and-go. It also improved the tranny shift points (assuming you have an auto) so you don't have to step on the gas so far to get it to downshift. It's actually more fun to drive now. It'll do a lot more, but I haven't had time to play around with it much.

If you decide to get one, shop around. I got mine for $299 shipped. I've seen it as high as $379.

'07 Rubicon
post #5 of 26 Old 08-15-2009, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
rob
Wheeler

thank for your suggestions. Still have not heard from anybody that has run with header or torque tubes in their JK.

Rob
2008 Rubicon, Green
post #6 of 26 Old 08-16-2009, 07:46 PM
Wheeler

I would have to agree with the Superchip install. Made a noticable difference. BTW superchips just released a new version. I reloaded the program today.
post #7 of 26 Old 08-16-2009, 08:02 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegis View Post
I would have to agree with the Superchip install. Made a noticable difference. BTW superchips just released a new version. I reloaded the program today.
u mean an update? does it have the tpms option now did you notice? I guess I'll update mine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
post #8 of 26 Old 08-17-2009, 06:11 AM
Rock God

What are torque tubes?

BEER Helping me do stupid things to my JK since 2007!
post #9 of 26 Old 08-17-2009, 06:21 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I think they are headers,although I have never heard them called that before.Weird

Somethin's happenin' here,what it is ain't exactly clear,there's a man with a gun over there,a tellin' me,I have to beware.....
post #10 of 26 Old 08-17-2009, 07:09 AM
Granite Guru

bigO, you wanna give up the ghost on where you found the flashpaq for $299?
i need to pick one up for my wife's jk. the throttle response sucks!

yes they are headers. banks torque tube headers. i just ordered one for my tj.
waiting for screwPS to deliver it.

04 Unlimited
12 JKUS Rock Lobster
post #11 of 26 Old 08-17-2009, 07:16 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdriver View Post
bigO, you wanna give up the ghost on where you found the flashpaq for $299?
i need to pick one up for my wife's jk. the throttle response sucks!

yes they are headers. banks torque tube headers. i just ordered one for my tj.
waiting for screwPS to deliver it.
The link is in the text of my previous post. Here's the long version...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...%3D1&viewitem=

When you go to eBay, use the "Make Offer" button. I got free shipping.

'07 Rubicon
post #12 of 26 Old 08-17-2009, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
rob
Wheeler

yes they are headers. I am looking for someone who has dropped then in their JK and what they think about it them. worth the money or not.

Rob
2008 Rubicon, Green
post #13 of 26 Old 08-17-2009, 02:49 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkob1060 View Post
u mean an update? does it have the tpms option now did you notice? I guess I'll update mine
From the literature I just got from them it should now have the TPMS option.

Carl

Building my Jeep one mod at a time, slowly.
post #14 of 26 Old 08-18-2009, 07:18 PM
Granite Guru

sweet! thanx

04 Unlimited
12 JKUS Rock Lobster
post #15 of 26 Old 08-18-2009, 08:24 PM
Rock God

I am running the Banks headers and I do not notice a thing. In the pics you can see that they are not much different than the stock manifold. If I had it to do over I would save the money.
Attached Images

post #16 of 26 Old 08-18-2009, 08:58 PM
Granite Guru

wow. i was wanting to put those on the wife's jk along with the exhaust and a flashpaq.
i think i'll save the 700 bones and just buy the flashpaq.

04 Unlimited
12 JKUS Rock Lobster
post #17 of 26 Old 08-19-2009, 03:44 AM
Granite Guru

"torque tubes" is just a fancy way of saying shorty headers. no i have not put a set on my jk but i did pay $500 for a set on my F150 that made no noticeable differance. save your money for something else that will actually make an impact on your jeep.
post #18 of 26 Old 08-19-2009, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
rob
Wheeler

thanks for your input guys. changed my mind about the headers not going to get a set.

Rob
2008 Rubicon, Green
post #19 of 26 Old 08-20-2009, 12:00 AM
JKO Addict!

Laugh....

Nice 1st run of Bank Headers...Those things heat up way to much...they melt everything...

I've got the new Banks Headers and they totally kick ass.!!! They have a new heat shield built into them and they add around 10-15 HP.

If you buy them, make sure you have the correct part number... Some guys are still selling the 1st run of headers which are worthless!! I ordered them straight from Banks..

FYI - ever look at the inside of stock Jeep manifold's??? Its like 15 grit sandpaper in there. Plus the stock manifold's crack a lot. The inside of the NEW Banks Header's are smooth as ever... Made out of hardened Stainless with a coating over them. They will last a lonnnnnnnnggg Time. Don't believe what other people say, they truly add HP. Sure you could get a plug in computer... I've got one.. But that's all you get...

Header's:
The sound - more like a V8 and less like a V6. Trust Banks...They test all there stuff!!

Hunt around, I got my Headers for around $550.

And anyone that says you don't notice a difference with a cat back exhaust system...is an idiot... anything you do to your exhaust to let the air flow better with less restriction will give you better mileage, more HP, and a deeper tone (less like a Lawnmower).

I know, lets keep all the stock stuff on the engine, just plug in a computer and say "YeaH, I get so much HP" If you really want HP, then open up the head's & Intake and polish everything that accepts air mixture and air into the engine...Mess with the valve's, add roller rockers, diff. cam ...blah blah blah......Thats how you make real HP!!

Current project jeep 08' wrangler 2dr
Past jeep:
- 07' Rubicon 4 dr, RAMICON- 3.5" ROCK KRAWLER Coil-Over lift
- 5.38 gears- Gusseted/Trussed/inner sleeved
- 40" Pro Comp X-Terrain

Last edited by fourplyn; 08-20-2009 at 12:03 AM.
post #20 of 26 Old 08-22-2009, 11:56 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourplyn View Post
Nice 1st run of Bank Headers...Those things heat up way to much...they melt everything...

I've got the new Banks Headers and they totally kick ass.!!! They have a new heat shield built into them and they add around 10-15 HP.

If you buy them, make sure you have the correct part number... Some guys are still selling the 1st run of headers which are worthless!! I ordered them straight from Banks..

FYI - ever look at the inside of stock Jeep manifold's??? Its like 15 grit sandpaper in there. Plus the stock manifold's crack a lot. The inside of the NEW Banks Header's are smooth as ever... Made out of hardened Stainless with a coating over them. They will last a lonnnnnnnnggg Time. Don't believe what other people say, they truly add HP. Sure you could get a plug in computer... I've got one.. But that's all you get...

Header's:
The sound - more like a V8 and less like a V6. Trust Banks...They test all there stuff!!

Hunt around, I got my Headers for around $550.

And anyone that says you don't notice a difference with a cat back exhaust system...is an idiot... anything you do to your exhaust to let the air flow better with less restriction will give you better mileage, more HP, and a deeper tone (less like a Lawnmower).

I know, lets keep all the stock stuff on the engine, just plug in a computer and say "YeaH, I get so much HP" If you really want HP, then open up the head's & Intake and polish everything that accepts air mixture and air into the engine...Mess with the valve's, add roller rockers, diff. cam ...blah blah blah......Thats how you make real HP!!
hmm....

Quote:
I just installed the front of this lift with my girlfriend... Took 2 hours. Doing the rear install tomorrow along with Banks Headers. and the adjustable rear drop down bracket from them.

This kit is the 2.5" Budget boost lift...has just spacers and larger bump stops.. I opted to also install the 1/2" front spacer's as well.. Also with shock extension's. Went in like a charm...I'll post an after pic of the front tomorrow. Gotta go watch Brad Pitt's new movie now..
not installed yet but they totally kick ass?

Quote:

post #21 of 26 Old 08-23-2009, 02:41 AM
JKO Addict!

I have two jeeps smart ass!

Past jeep:
- 40" Pro Comp X-Terrain

post #22 of 26 Old 08-23-2009, 10:17 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkob1060 View Post
hmm....

not installed yet but they totally kick ass?
Quote:
I have two jeeps smart ass!
thats not being a smart ass, that was a question you dumbass, see the ? mark

Quote:

post #23 of 26 Old 08-23-2009, 12:10 PM
Rock God

No offense fourply but you sound like a troll for Banks. Had them for almost two years (bought directly from Banks) and they haven't melted anything. In fact the only thing that they could melt is the spark plug wires and mine are fine. 10-15 hp? Is that dyno'd, your 'impression', or the add from Banks. Like I said I have run them almost two years and to me they don't do diddly. Now that's my driving and wheeling it feeling. And from my resaerch heat shilds/coatings don't affect performance just the life of the header. And there is arguments pro and con about coatings and wraps. Just my two cents
post #24 of 26 Old 08-23-2009, 12:31 PM
JKO Addict!

some info..

Call High Country 4x4 in Denver, Colorado...The owner has tested the Banks Headers on his 4door Rubicon all over the state...And he's melted even the Best after market spark plug wires....And thats with the 1st run of headers with no heat shield...

So if you have the heat shield model's...then cool.. you obviously aren't having problems.

From the factory they have told me 10-15hp increase...and after I put them on I noticed a definite increase from stock...Not saying 100% 10-15hp increase but a definite increase in HP & probably torque. I'm satisfied.

And laugh...I don't work for Banks nor do they pay me a dime to give me opinion. Sorry if I came off sounding like your opinion meant nothing... I value all opinion's..and I just think I noticed a difference.

Past jeep:
- 40" Pro Comp X-Terrain

post #25 of 26 Old 08-23-2009, 01:42 PM
Rock God

I bought mine when they first came out (first run?) and as you see in the pic I am not running heat shields. I have not melted any wires. Maybe your buddy who is melting things is doing something wrong. I love this forum for the info and opinions, however I never claim anything as fact unless I am sure and I always make it a point to say when it is my 'opinion' or 'feeling'. So excuse me if I called you a troll, but I tend to get when I see post especially on products that I have personal knowledge of state inaccurate or semi accurate info. My apologies. Here a Pirate as a peace offering
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode