Valve stem recommendations? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 08-12-2009, 05:45 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Valve stem recommendations?

Hi all,

I'm currently running 17x9 cragar soft 8s with 35" BFG MTs.

I was coming home from practice yesterday evening(PeeWee football coach) and noticed the Jeep was listing to the right. I made a turn onto the main road and she's still wanting to pull right a bit.

I pull over and notice my front/passenger side tire was low, looked like trail pressure low. Of course I'm like dammit but the stretch of road I'm on has gas stations every half mile or so. I pull into the next station and fill up in hopes of finding the leak because I visually could not see anything wrong with the tire itself. (Also I did not have my Hi-Lift, or any jack with me) Turns out the valve leaks a bit right around the base where it joins with the wheel.

The stems I'm running were just some generic dealership ones my buddy put on for me because we mounted them ourselves at his shop. I fear that my other stems may suffer the same fate soon or in the near future. If I wiggle or push on the stem at all you can hear that faint hiss. Luckily just topping it off was enough to get me home a few miles away.

Anyways, can you all recommend any particular type or brand of valve stem that can withstand the rigors of wheeling. I lean more toward the rock crawling side so anything that can hold up to some rock rash.

Thanks
Ho
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-12-2009, 05:49 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to paramaniac

i dont have a particular brand to recommend but i had an "issue" when i had my tires balanced, the guys at Pep Boys put metal caps on the metal stems and they fused together. so i had the tire place fix the issue so they put a rubber stem on and i have had no issues since.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-12-2009, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

any rubber stem is preferred for off road- no brand-name necessary. I would however (depending on where the valve stems sit on your wheels) go with a short/ stubby version. They are available at Discount tire and most other qualified shops. The short stems are less vulnerable to trail damage, especially if your stems are located further out towards the edge of the wheel. Also, always make sure to periodically check your valve cores to make sure they are tight. I had a really slow leak that I thought was coming from something in the tire. Turns out that the valve core was just loose enough to be causing the leak.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 08-12-2009, 10:50 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I've run these for years. There are others out there too.

http://www.klunev.com/page_rad_overview.htm

Obama, The greatest gun salesman since the invention of firearms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscwerve View Post
This is exactly why we need to practice proper gun control.

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-12-2009, 01:16 PM
Rock God

I had Discount Tires put mine one when I got my new wheels and tires. They were a standard rubber stem but I think they have a metal sheath. They've worked well for me so far and I've beat the hell out of my Jeep quite a few times since having them.

jk-forum, jk-forum.com jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler
post #6 of 6 Old 08-12-2009, 02:28 PM
Rock God

Garage
Post The Stem may not be the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Ho View Post
Hi all,

I'm currently running 17x9 cragar soft 8s with 35" BFG MTs.

I was coming home from practice yesterday evening(PeeWee football coach) and noticed the Jeep was listing to the right. I made a turn onto the main road and she's still wanting to pull right a bit.

I pull over and notice my front/passenger side tire was low, looked like trail pressure low. Of course I'm like dammit but the stretch of road I'm on has gas stations every half mile or so. I pull into the next station and fill up in hopes of finding the leak because I visually could not see anything wrong with the tire itself. (Also I did not have my Hi-Lift, or any jack with me) Turns out the valve leaks a bit right around the base where it joins with the wheel.

The stems I'm running were just some generic dealership ones my buddy put on for me because we mounted them ourselves at his shop. I fear that my other stems may suffer the same fate soon or in the near future. If I wiggle or push on the stem at all you can hear that faint hiss. Luckily just topping it off was enough to get me home a few miles away.

Anyways, can you all recommend any particular type or brand of valve stem that can withstand the rigors of wheeling. I lean more toward the rock crawling side so anything that can hold up to some rock rash.

Thanks
Ho
The Stem may not be the problem. Are you running the correct type of air? If your still running winter air in the summer that could be causing it! I'd try getting a can of Summer Air and using that!

http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main...products_id=45
Attached Images

Paved Roads - Another Fine Example of Unnecessary Government Waste!
Modes - 3.5" Lift - Steel Jeep Bumper with Winch. Body Armor 4x4 Rear Bumper and Rock Sliders. - Hard Top painted White to repel the HEAT! - Ham\CB Radio - A few dents and Scratches John Bull Mod to Front & Rear Diff Covers. Woods Steering Stabilizer Relocation Bracket. Off-road Front, Rear and Rock Lights, Rear CAM, On Board Air.

Last edited by jacktuttle; 08-12-2009 at 02:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode