Towing a JK with a WJ - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 10-27-2013, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Towing a JK with a WJ

I just bought a 111k mile 2002 Grand Cherokee v8/quadra drive... super clean. Its primary purpose is as a daily driver as I am having my first baby and a JK on 37's is a really stupid baby ferry.

My JK is lighter than stock, and I will be using a WD hitch on an aluminum tandem axle trailor with brakes.

So, any 10 year old rig has its issues: Mine are the kind we jeeple love:tires, suspension and lighting! So in freshening up the suspension I will be going to 5100's and most likely a 2" spacer setup which will allow me to run 31"s like the OEM Rubi take-offs.

My question is will a 3800lb rig rated to tow 6500lbs, pulling about 5800lbs total payload with a WD hitch suffer from using such a slight lift and tire increase?

Soon to be a vendor!!!
Looking for a good Rat Rod JK donor vehicle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-27-2013, 01:38 AM
Granite Guru

Are you going to regear?

Have you checked to see if you are going to exceed GCVWR?

In short, it won't help, but you knew that.

Will it be good enough? Maybe. Depends on gears, engine, terrain, and how fast you want to go.

Probably need another trans cooler or at least a temp gauge.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #3 of 10 Old 10-27-2013, 06:28 AM
TOK
Wheeler

I don't know what trans is in the Grand Cherokee, but we stopped buying Dodge fleet vehicles in the late 90's because the transmissions consistently failed before 100k.

That was just pulling the vehicle weight around, let alone another 6500 pounds. If the GC has the same overdrive trans as the Rams and vans, I don't think you're even going to get 10,000 more miles out if it towing that weight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 10-27-2013, 07:41 AM
Slow and Low

I've got/and have had a couple Hemi WK's and I've had the 4.7HO WJ as well. I see people towing big ass campers and boats behind them all the time.

I wouldn't tow my Jeeps with mine because I would be concerned about the brakes since I drive over big mountain passes regularly. I also feel that in my location, I prefer the tow rig weighing more than the JK/Trailer.

But if I was just pulling it around to and from the trail in a flat state at lower altitude, I would probably trust your setup, obviously using a trailer brake controller.
post #5 of 10 Old 10-27-2013, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Tow rig < JK?Trailor

I appreciate the input yall, Im just centered on the question of 2-3" lift and another 1-2" tire OD affecting such a small tow vehicle much.

I live in Houston, and the places I regularly go are within 4 hours, and my favorote (Clayton Lake, OK) is only 10 hours out. I guess when I start passing the Rockies I can always just unload it and drive behind the wife!

Soon to be a vendor!!!
post #6 of 10 Old 11-01-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeucesALLin View Post
I just bought a 111k mile 2002 Grand Cherokee v8/quadra drive... super clean. Its primary purpose is as a daily driver as I am having my first baby and a JK on 37's is a really stupid baby ferry.

My JK is lighter than stock, and I will be using a WD hitch on an aluminum tandem axle trailor with brakes.

So, any 10 year old rig has its issues: Mine are the kind we jeeple love:tires, suspension and lighting! So in freshening up the suspension I will be going to 5100's and most likely a 2" spacer setup which will allow me to run 31"s like the OEM Rubi take-offs.

My question is will a 3800lb rig rated to tow 6500lbs, pulling about 5800lbs total payload with a WD hitch suffer from using such a slight lift and tire increase?

You will have no issues towing it i had a 2004 WJ v8/auto. I have towed a 16' trailer with 4 quads on it, towed a cj, yj,tj, and a zj with zero issues. I live about 35 north of west point and its hilly here. The key is don't go like a bat out of hell with it. Take it slow and you will have zero issues with it. Braking once again use your trans to down shift helps with breaking. As long as you go slow you will be fine.

Make sure you change the fluid in wj at 30k and you will have zero problems.

I traded the wj after son took out a mdx head on and then was rear ended by a ford 450. Both times insurance fixed it but was never the same. Purchased a used 2009 JK last week with the trade in. Son jeep. Wife owns a 2013 2dr jk after getting rear ended at a dead stop in a tj. Only damage to the tj was broken axle she dumped her dodge avenger two weeks later.

Im stuck with a used 93 zj i purchased for 600.00 about a month ago.
post #7 of 10 Old 11-02-2013, 08:57 AM
Rock God

A suspension lift increases the chances of death wobble. Adding tongue weight to the rear of the vehicle unloads the front suspension, which also increases the chances of death wobble. And having 111K miles on the vehicle increases the chances of death wobble. Ever have death wobble occur while towing near the rated maximum for your vehicle? It's not fun.

I think I'd skip the suspension lift, at least initially. Go ahead and do the towing with stock suspension and tires first. If you think every thing feels good, and you've got lots of reserve capacity, you can always add the lift and tires later.

2017 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Recon; 35s - no lift, Warn 9.5 XP-S, ARB Twin Air, SPOD
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (wife's Jeep)
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Megacab 4x4; 6.7 CTD, Aisen, AEV Prospector conversion; 37s, 4.10s, Warn 16.5K
post #8 of 10 Old 11-02-2013, 07:21 PM
Wheeler

I towed quite a bit with my 2004 WJ w/ 4.7HO. I had an IRO 3" with bilstein 5100's and an addco rear swaybar. It pulls just fine but as others have mentioned the brakes leave a bit to be desired. Just leave yourself plenty of stopping room. It seems like I ran 3000rpm+ pulling a CJ at 70mph. Also, get a drop hitch if your trailer/dolly ends up sitting up from the lift. I wouldnt want to make a habit of it personally, but in a pinch or from time to time you should be just fine.
post #9 of 10 Old 11-02-2013, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOPWR2U View Post
A suspension lift increases the chances of death wobble. Adding tongue weight to the rear of the vehicle unloads the front suspension, which also increases the chances of death wobble. And having 111K miles on the vehicle increases the chances of death wobble. Ever have death wobble occur while towing near the rated maximum for your vehicle? It's not fun.

I think I'd skip the suspension lift, at least initially. Go ahead and do the towing with stock suspension and tires first. If you think every thing feels good, and you've got lots of reserve capacity, you can always add the lift and tires later.
Ive had my share of DW experiences... hence the WJ. Our last trip back from Clayton Lake ended up taking 16 hours instead of 10...fun. This isnt a dedicated tow-rig, and I plan on staying under the MGVW. My Jeep JK is lighter than a stock JKX, before gear. So depending on the trailers available for rent locally I expect to have north of 1,000lbs between me and max trailer weight.

My WJ has the "upcountry suspension" but after 111k miles the suspension is sagging and hard, tires needed replaced anyway. i went with the help of Marcus and Kolak to do the following:

3" net lift with progressively wound ARB/Old Man Emu shocks
Bilstien 5100s
Moog "Trail Boss" steering stabalizer
Addcco 1.5" rear swaybar
Iron Rock Off-road adjustable front trackbar
New links
New coil-spring isolators

This will allow me to run the 31.5" Cooper ATP 10plys. Plenty of aspect ration for flex if I take it out by itself, plenty of plys for towing I think. I put this together based on alot of recomendations from the Aussie and ExpeditionPortal guys. I could drop an inch in OD but nothing I found came in E range...cant mount them without the lift so I still have time to look.

I dont think I will need a re-gear with the torquey V8 and 3.73s though...

Soon to be a vendor!!!
post #10 of 10 Old 11-02-2013, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Thanks for the input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spieg View Post
I towed quite a bit with my 2004 WJ w/ 4.7HO. I had an IRO 3" with bilstein 5100's and an addco rear swaybar. It pulls just fine but as others have mentioned the brakes leave a bit to be desired. Just leave yourself plenty of stopping room. It seems like I ran 3000rpm+ pulling a CJ at 70mph. Also, get a drop hitch if your trailer/dolly ends up sitting up from the lift. I wouldnt want to make a habit of it personally, but in a pinch or from time to time you should be just fine.
I appreciate the input. This isnt a dedicated tow pig, and my JK is street legal. This is more like a- "honey I need to you drive 2 hours and retrieve me" vehicle. I definately would prefer to tow to Hidden Falls from Houston than take the X. Its only 3.5 hoursI.

I also ordered the Stillen front rotors (Kolak has them 1/2 price right now) and will probably get the rears too next week, IDK why I didnt get them in the same box. I will be using a WD hitch, and brake controller. Hopefully I can rent or borrow an aluminum trailer locally.

Soon to be a vendor!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode