Call me a heretic but... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 62 Old 08-11-2009, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Call me a heretic but...

...I have absolutely no intention of ever lifting my jeep or putting anything larger than the stock 32's on it. I have put rock rails on it and will eventually put a new front bumper or possibly a custom grill guard on it, but no lift.

Last edited by daggo66; 08-12-2009 at 12:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 Old 08-11-2009, 03:08 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

heretic...

To each his/her own brother. I am sure it will be perfect. That is the beauty of a Jeep, you can make it... you.

Cheers!
post #3 of 62 Old 08-11-2009, 03:14 PM
JKO Addict!

Its all your choice,
but why may i ask?
Why bother with the bumper and sliders if youre not going to lift it?

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
Why are you highlighting my sig? You Bastard!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 62 Old 08-11-2009, 03:29 PM
Granite Guru

To each their own I say ... doesn't really matter - build what you need and call it a day.

The Jeepist
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'09 Sahara 4 door sedan - it has a purdy mouth!
'89 XJ built for beatin' RIP

Live life like a dog...if you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away.
post #5 of 62 Old 08-11-2009, 03:30 PM
Rock God

That will change.
I said 2" BB was enough.
Wrong!
I am going with a 3.5" RK Mid arm with 35's in the next couple months.
post #6 of 62 Old 08-11-2009, 03:32 PM
Openly Hostile

I'm never gonna lift it turns into all I need are 40's, coil overs, and 60's!

As long as you enjoy who cares what you do or don't do to it.

Jason
post #7 of 62 Old 08-11-2009, 04:03 PM
Rock God

If you plan on a different front bumper, get a winch with it. smittybilt 8.5 for $300 bucks. that way if you ever do get hung up on something then you can pull youself off it. I wouldnt lift it either but I would cut off all 4 fenders and put some 40" tires on it

I have a jeep and it goes over shit.
post #8 of 62 Old 08-11-2009, 04:59 PM
Rock God

my Rubicon is going to stay stock as well but ive already added front and rear bumpers, winch, off road lights and going to buy some belly skid plates at the end of the month. I also plan to modifing the stock rubi sliders to be stronger and have tube side steps.

my last truck had 7" of lift with 1 ton suspension running on 40's. it also had detroit lockers front and rear with hydro assist steering and beadlocks. all i had to do was point and shoot to get over things. it was cool while it lasted but now i think ill have more fun leaving the jeep stock. everything is going to be an adventure again, i can also travel all around and explore without consuming gas like crazy. i cant wait!
post #9 of 62 Old 08-11-2009, 06:16 PM
Wheeler

You sound like me. You are making payments on a vehicle and don't want to mess with it especially if it isn't "yours" just yet. I plan on 32's, no lift and replacing the bumpers.

If you take a look at the old CJ's of the day, bumpers, a little bigger tires (31's) and maybe some rails were all you needed to enjoy the outdoors and offroad.

I'm with you, heretic you are not. I've owned four jeeps, all of them modified, some more than others. Enjoy your rig....just please for the love of god don't put dubs on it and bling it out...that makes any self-respecting Jeep owner

My jeep is green so you can't see it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"shut the f* up alright? That's the name of my new book, shut the F* up by Dr. Dennis Leary. A revolutionary new form of therapy. I'm gonna have my patients come in, 'Dr?', SHUT THE F* UP, NEXT. 'I don't feel so...', SHUT THE F* UP, NEXT. 'He made me feel so much better about myself, you know, he just told me to shut the F* up and nobody had ever told me that before, I feel so much better now!" Dennis Leary
post #10 of 62 Old 08-11-2009, 06:40 PM
Rock God

Good for you. I have a 3" lift with 35's (enough for me) on my Rubicon. After wheeling it like this I kind of wish I would have left it stock for awhile just to really see how capable it is. Plus it might make me a better wheeler
post #11 of 62 Old 08-11-2009, 07:15 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDMF View Post
.........As long as you enjoy it who cares what you do or don't do to it.
I agree. If you like it and it is the way you want it, that's all that matters.
post #12 of 62 Old 08-11-2009, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccdjeep View Post

If you take a look at the old CJ's of the day, bumpers, a little bigger tires (31's) and maybe some rails were all you needed to enjoy the outdoors and offroad.
You just described my 1980 CJ7 Renegade.
post #13 of 62 Old 08-11-2009, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONIC View Post
Its all your choice,
but why may i ask?
Why bother with the bumper and sliders if youre not going to lift it?
What does the bumper and sliders have to do with a lift?

I like the look of the sliders because I don't like the unfinished look of the rocker panels. I was looking at the OEM Rubicon sliders, but settled on KC-Hilites. I wanted something rugged looking that covered the unfinished look. As far as the bumper goes, I want a grill guard because once again, I like the look. I had one one my CJ and it looked great.
I haven't seen one yet that can go on a stock bumper. I may have found someone that can fabricate what I want.
post #14 of 62 Old 08-11-2009, 09:42 PM
Rock God

Garage

I wouldn't call you a heretic. I think the JKs are by far the best looking "stock" Jeep ever. Would I like to get a basic lift and bigger shoes...... hell yeah!! But I'm not in any hurry to do so.

Besides....... I'm broke.
post #15 of 62 Old 08-11-2009, 10:10 PM
Rock God

My friend is doing something similar with his TJ. No lift. 31's and just the 4.0 bored out to 4.6 and related upgrades. He figures he won't need it if he has lockers, etc. His Jeep will be capable enough and if it isn't a winch can get him through.

I don't plan on heavily modding the JK until I at least get another one that I can make my DD and somewhat mod.

jk-forum, jk-forum.com jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler
post #16 of 62 Old 08-12-2009, 12:21 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by daggo66 View Post
...I have absolutely no intention of ever lifting my jeep or putting anything larger than the stock 32's on it. I have put rock rails on it and will eventually put a new front bumber or possibly a custom grill guard on it, but no lift.
No heresy here...it's your Jeep, you know what you want. I've got a 2.5" BB and 33's, I see no reason to ever go beyond that. This Rubi will climb any and everything I would want to point it at. I probably can't do all the serious rock trails a lot of seriously modded rigs can, but wouldn't want to anyway. I am happy with my BB, modded rock rails, good bumpers front and rear. I still wish I had worn out my stock BFG MTs before dropping $$$ on a new set of tires, but I'm happy with what I have. I did put a skid plate on my evap cannister, just in case...

07 Jeep Green 2 door Rubicon; OME Std suspension; 33" BFG KM2; Shrockworks stubby front, Expedition One rear bumpers, JKS adj trackbars f/r, Poly HD tie rod, Moog TRE on drag link.
post #17 of 62 Old 08-12-2009, 12:31 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daggo66 View Post
What does the bumper and sliders have to do with a lift?

I like the look of the sliders because I don't like the unfinished look of the rocker panels. I was looking at the OEM Rubicon sliders, but settled on KC-Hilites. I wanted something rugged looking that covered the unfinished look. As far as the bumper goes, I want a grill guard because once again, I like the look. I had one one my CJ and it looked great.
I haven't seen one yet that can go on a stock bumper. I may have found someone that can fabricate what I want.
i assumed with those mods you planned on wheeling it.
Bad assumption.

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
Why are you highlighting my sig? You Bastard!
post #18 of 62 Old 08-12-2009, 12:44 AM
Rock God

Garage

Yep still stock here, street tires and all. I got lots of dreams about mods but you know I haven't got stuck once yet so I guess it dosen't really need anything.

skid plates and rocker guards are still way cheaper than repairs,well worth the investment.

got Jeep got stuff, never enough of the right stuff tho

Am I in deep enough yet?
post #19 of 62 Old 08-12-2009, 02:21 AM
Rock God

Thank God that we live in a country where we have the choice to lift or not to lift our jeeps. I am quite positive that the founding fathers of this great nation, had there been jeeps back then, would have agreed that no man should have to modify his jeep or any other vehicle for that matter to include a lift kit or larger tires. This is truly a great democracy. I do however feel that had they ever seen a stone cold hottie in a tank top, cut off blue jean shorts, a straw cowboy hat and cowboy boots driving a lifted jeep with 37s on it, they may have made it a law that for an attractive woman to be allowed to own a jeep, said jeep must have a minimum of 4" lift and run 35s. That law may have been repealed after the Dukes of Hazzard ran for the first time but I feel that it may have been only a short reprieve. I do believe in my chauvanistic heart that all women owners of jeeps should, by law, be required to have their jeeps lifted with large tires and to never be allowed to drive with the doors on. I also believe that all hot women who drive a jeep in this fashion should be entitled to additional tax cedits and have special parking spots just like handicapped people. All you men out there, do whatever you want to your jeeps,just dont make them look gay, other than that nobody really cares. Just my 2 cents

I have a jeep and it goes over shit.

Last edited by levellinebrad; 08-12-2009 at 02:23 AM. Reason: spelling
post #20 of 62 Old 08-12-2009, 04:37 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONIC View Post
i assumed with those mods you planned on wheeling it.
Bad assumption.
You realize what happens when you assume, correct? You don't need a lift to wheel.

post #21 of 62 Old 08-12-2009, 08:42 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

won't call you a heretic, but I will call you a borderline troll
what else was the purpose of this post?

by definition:
In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an an online discussion forum, chat room or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional or disciplinary response[1] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[2]

nothing at all against staying stock - JKs are quite capable in stock form, but why did you feel the need for the declaratory statement of NOT doing anything?

I could make a post "I don't intend to paint my Jeep pink" or "I don't intend to supercharge my motor" or "I don't intend to do a Hemi swap" etc etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #22 of 62 Old 08-12-2009, 08:43 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by levellinebrad View Post
Thank God that we live in a country where we have the choice to lift or not to lift our jeeps. I am quite positive that the founding fathers of this great nation, had there been jeeps back then, would have agreed that no man should have to modify his jeep or any other vehicle for that matter to include a lift kit or larger tires. This is truly a great democracy. I do however feel that had they ever seen a stone cold hottie in a tank top, cut off blue jean shorts, a straw cowboy hat and cowboy boots driving a lifted jeep with 37s on it, they may have made it a law that for an attractive woman to be allowed to own a jeep, said jeep must have a minimum of 4" lift and run 35s. That law may have been repealed after the Dukes of Hazzard ran for the first time but I feel that it may have been only a short reprieve. I do believe in my chauvanistic heart that all women owners of jeeps should, by law, be required to have their jeeps lifted with large tires and to never be allowed to drive with the doors on. I also believe that all hot women who drive a jeep in this fashion should be entitled to additional tax cedits and have special parking spots just like handicapped people. All you men out there, do whatever you want to your jeeps,just dont make them look gay, other than that nobody really cares. Just my 2 cents
One of my buddies just married a girl that would almost fit your requirements. Keeping in mind that he drives a Honda Civic Si hatchback (2004, maybe?). She's a 3rd grade teacher, blonde, petite, etc...driving a Ford F-250, 6-inch lift, huge tires, replaced bumpers, guards, light bars...the works, basically. His car could just about fit in the bed of her truck

2008 Wrangler X
--Jeep Green w/soft-top

2013 Unlimited Sport
--Gecko
post #23 of 62 Old 08-12-2009, 09:06 AM
Heat'n and a beat'n...

Anyone who does not lift their jeep is a terrible human being.

corey d

corey d
2008 JEEP...
post #24 of 62 Old 08-12-2009, 09:13 AM
Wheeler

I'm not going to lift mine or do major modifications either. This is actually why I bought a Rubicon model. If I wanted to build the thing I would have bought a cheaper one and started with more of a blank slate. The Jeep is also my daily driver, so I'm only ever going to obtain light weekend warrior wheeling status with it anyway.

I do plan to change out the front bumper and add a winch. Maybe the rear bumper too. I'll wait until we get moved to Denver next year to bother with that though. I don't think the Jeep will leave pavement until next summer when we get to the mountains unfortunately. This area of Texas is flat and boring as hell, and mudding doesn't do anything for me.

2009 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (sold)
post #25 of 62 Old 08-12-2009, 09:17 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudflap View Post
This area of Texas is flat and boring as hell, and mudding doesn't do anything for me.
Dallas is actually close to a LOT of good wheeling areas
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6480

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode