Opinions: first major upgrade - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 08-11-2009, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Opinions: first major upgrade

Hello, I've been reading some other posts relative to this and thought I'd do the same to get some opinions on what to do. I figured I'd lay out what it is and what I think I want to accomplish, and see what some of your experiences have been and solicit advise on what potential best options are out there.

First: this is a stock 08 6spd 4dr X, it came with the 17"rims and 32" wranglers. I've put a hitch on the rear and hooks on the front to have some ability for recovery.
Second: its primarily my wife’s DD, kid duty etc. (I talked her into the JK after her volvo died...WOHOO-you can't go off-roading in a volvo.) Good gas mileage is necessary (I was thrilled with my first tank of gas getting ~22mpg).
Third: I want to have some fun with this thing on the trail, but will probably never do anything really serious. I would want to have the ability to do a mid level trail in Moab.
Fourth: have to maintain the Warranty, and keep the costs down.

So..What to do? I think I would like to put either 33's or 35's on to have some clearance, but what has that done to gas mileage? Are 33's enough for moderate off-roading? Is a lift necessary (also pending tire choice), and if so does 2-2.5 get you what you need? Body Lift/Spacers/Suspension? Will Rubi springs give you an inch, or is that folklore (or is this an option I should even consider)? Do you need/recommend sway-bar disconnects? I will probably CL some Rubi sliders for both protection and to help the fam get in and out once it's a little taller.

Thanks for your thoughts and or experiences. I hope I'm starting in the right spot to be able to get some bang for my $$, I want to get my @$$ out on the trail.

CLAM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-11-2009, 03:51 PM
Rock God

if you seriously plan to never go bigger than a 35" tire, here is what i would do.

1) $350 Teraflex 2.5" lift part# 1351000. this will allow the use of 35" tires but will also look good with 33" tires if you decide to go with those instead.

2) $300 Bilstein 5100 shocks for a 2.5" lift. They are $79 ea from shock wharehouse.

3) $200 Wheel spacers since you are using your stock wheels. spydertrax, teraflex, and a few other people make these.

4) $1500 w/ install at discount tire 35/12.5 17 goodyear mt/r kevlar. These are serious offroad tires but are quiet and smooth riding on the street

5) $1000 w/ install included, you will need to re gear the front and rear diffs to maintain fuel milage, by the way, you must of had a good tailwind to get 22mpg's to begin with. I would recomend 4.88 gears for the 35's

6) $250 Rocker guards. Smittybilt for 4 dr

$3600 + tax and that is if you do all the install except gears and tires yourself and the install on everything else is fairly easy.

This setup will be short enough that your wife should not complain but high enough to do med trails. Add lockers and skid plates, another $2500 and you can do some serious trails

I have a jeep and it goes over shit.

Last edited by levellinebrad; 08-11-2009 at 03:55 PM. Reason: spelling errors
post #3 of 14 Old 08-14-2009, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Thanks levellinebrad for the suggestions. It's given me some thinking to do.

Ever since I was kid I've always wanted to do some wheelin, and now that I've got my first jeep I can hopefully erase those memories of that little geo tracker and replace them with some real experiences.....in due time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 08-14-2009, 07:36 PM
Rock God

1st - Get some armor for the evap canister. Benchmark sells a good skid for it.

2nd - You're on the right track with the Rubi sliders. Those are a good choice. If the wife/kids need to get in, consider another vendor that sells a slider/step combo.

There are a million ways to build the JK, but I recommend armor first.
post #5 of 14 Old 08-14-2009, 08:12 PM
Rock God

First and foremost, get out there and see how well you like wheeling when your rig is still stock; they are plenty capable in stock form. If you really enjoy it, then you will be better able to plan just how crazy you want to go with your Jeep. But, if you're confident that you already know what level you're are willing to tackle with your Jeep period; than a budget boost, sliders, evap skid/relocate, and an aggressive tread 32" tire will get you thru most any of the trails that you speak of... When you step up to 35's you will not only lose big mpg, from what I hear gearing will no longer be optimal for a dd if you live anyplace that has hilly terrain, even with a 6spd...

"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it." -Ronald Reagan-

Last edited by Wrangling Steel; 08-14-2009 at 08:19 PM.
post #6 of 14 Old 08-14-2009, 08:40 PM
Granite Guru

Here is a list that I think will cost less than most upgrade paths, will not affect the daily driver handling at all, and will result in a very capable and safe vehicle.

Sliders are the #1 most valuable upgrade, especially for a 4 door. The vehicle is so long that you will get body damage sooner or later without them. I had the stock rubi rails the first time out, and they did their job. I sold them and bought a set of Shrockworks rails because I wanted something a bit more heavy duty and that sticks out from the body a bit. They paid for themselves my first time out by keeping me off of a big rock that would have done major body damage. The rails only got scratches in the powder coat.

Get a winch next. The guys on 40s aren't getting stuck less than the guys on 32s. They're getting stuck just as often, but on harder trails. Everyone needs a winch.

Mod #3 is so cheap you can't possibly have a reason to pass it up: Front sway bar disconnects. They're cheap, easy to install, and make a HUGE difference in your flex offroad. Back on the street, you will never know they were there.

Mod #4 is a rear locker. I've heard "he would have made it with lockers" a lot more than "he would have made it with bigger tires". The rear locker is a HUGE help. A front locker is nice to have, but much further down the list since it gets used far less. 32s and lockers will take you through all kinds of fun (and scary) stuff.

Mod #5 is to go get some take-off Rubicon 32" BFG M/Ts. They handle great on the street and offroad, they are dirt cheap compared to buying new tires, and you don't need a lift to run them. You could also run 33s with no lift.

My wife asked me to add this in to the mix too. If you add a lift or bigger tires, is your wife going to be OK with the extra jump getting in and out? How about the kids? Right after I lifted the Jeep, I had to go buy a folding stool (tied to the seat bracket so she can pull it up after she gets in) after my wife ripped her very nice (and $$$) dress after church. She's 5'6".

Bryan.

2007 JK Rubicon Unlimited Rescue Green 6 Speed
Mods Shrockworks Rails & Bumpers, Currie Lift, Tom Woods 1350 driveshafts, 35" Toyo M/Ts on ProComp 7028s
In Progress
To Do

Last edited by gt3073b; 08-14-2009 at 08:50 PM.
post #7 of 14 Old 08-15-2009, 05:57 AM
Wheeler

Just my opinion but when I purchased my 2009 JK i changed the stock 255 tires for 295/70 nitto grapplers, dont know if you can go any bigger without a lift They look much better and ride great and the spare fits perfectly on the rear mount
post #8 of 14 Old 08-15-2009, 08:43 AM
Wheeler

Did you use the stock wheels??? if not what do you have.
post #9 of 14 Old 08-15-2009, 09:49 AM
Wheeler

Yup Stock wheels, Just a word of advise ,buy the tires at a shop that deals with truck acsessories , they will do any minor adjustments that might be needed, I had to trim front mud guard slightly , They also mounted and balanced tires at no additional charge,plus you'll probably visit shop more than once for additional purchases and its good to get to know these guys. LOL I also installed side tube rails, much cheaper than the stock running boards and I personally like the look better, plus a set of huskey mats
post #10 of 14 Old 08-16-2009, 10:02 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Move the evap canister.

2007 Jk Rubicon
1952 M38A1
post #11 of 14 Old 08-16-2009, 10:22 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to WTF_LOL

sounds like you are pretty new to wheeling. I don't mean that to sound like a bad thing. I can just tell you this, trying to figure out everything from scratch for the first time online will make your head spin.

Lets just go hit the trails. There is plenty of places close to here I would be happy to take you and show you some stuff. WE can talk Jeeps as much as you like and would be happy to answer your questions and offer suggestions. Out on the trail with other rigs the ideas will come faster the sitting online

Everybody on here will offer you different suggestions and just make it more confusing. In addition, wheeling in every state is different so you will get different advice. I can show you some stuff you can do on the cheap that will help greatly in Colorado and seeing how your rig operates on the same obstacle as another rig built differently will really help show what needs to be done

Anyway, if you are interested, shoot me a PM
post #12 of 14 Old 08-16-2009, 11:20 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF_LOL View Post
sounds like you are pretty new to wheeling. I don't mean that to sound like a bad thing. I can just tell you this, trying to figure out everything from scratch for the first time online will make your head spin.

Lets just go hit the trails. There is plenty of places close to here I would be happy to take you and show you some stuff. WE can talk Jeeps as much as you like and would be happy to answer your questions and offer suggestions. Out on the trail with other rigs the ideas will come faster the sitting online

Everybody on here will offer you different suggestions and just make it more confusing. In addition, wheeling in every state is different so you will get different advice. I can show you some stuff you can do on the cheap that will help greatly in Colorado and seeing how your rig operates on the same obstacle as another rig built differently will really help show what needs to be done

Some good advice, take it. Don't spend a ton of money; go wheeling. I would only suggest 3 things to buy before you go and none of them are very sexy. Get a fire extinguisher, a recovery strap and a CB radio so that you can stay in touch with the people you are wheeling with. Other than that go have some fun get to know your Jeep and THEN decide if you need it to be more capable than it already is.

2008 Rubicon 2 Dr 6 speed
Stone White
post #13 of 14 Old 08-17-2009, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF_LOL View Post

Yes, very new besides the crap you do when you are a teenager. After reading some posts I went camping and did a couple of trails this weekend west of Ft. Collins, nothing hard, but allowing me to learn from what it is now. I can see the value of the sliders immediately. I will definitely take you up on you offer -

Thanks everyone else for your thoughts.

~ Clam
post #14 of 14 Old 08-18-2009, 08:12 AM
Wheeler

Also new to wheelin'

Hey, I am a new JK owner and also new to wheelin' but am VERY anxious and excited to get out on my first trails! I am in the Tampa, FL area and it would be great to find someone in my area, like Scott in Denver, that could kinda show me the ropes and help me plan my upgrades.
Obviously in FL I won't be dealing with trails that are anything like other places around the country but I plan on taking a lot of trips out of the area to wheel.
I bought an '07 X completely stock other than an automatic transmission and a hard top. It has the 225/75R16 wranglers and the shiny little steel 16 inch wheels. So new tires and wheels will be the first thing I get if for no other reason than a more aggressive look. I like the BF KM's. But I don't know if I should get some wheels and tires that fit the current setup or go ahead and install a lift and go with larger tires all at the same time.
Lots to think about. Any help would be appreciated. -Aaron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode