Question on engine swaps - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 10-24-2013, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Question on engine swaps

So Im in the market for a JKU but Im hoping to keep cost low for now so I can pay off my student loans too. Ive seen several high milage JKUs in the $15k range which is a great price for me. That being said, a lot of them are over 100-150k miles so I wouldnt expect it to be trouble free for years to come.
Im considering buying something like this with the intent to swap the engine down the road but I have a few questions.

What, if any, kits are available besides the AEV Hemi kit and the 3.9 Cummins?

How expensive would each of the swaps be if I did the work myself?

How much would a new OEM engine and/or transmission cost? And can the 07-11s be upgraded to the 3.6?

Does this seem like a terrible idea? I could afford a new wrangler but I would be better off financially if I could buying something cheaper until I get my loans paid off. I make enough now to where I can handle both a new car payment and my loan but I wouldnt have all that much to spare which I dislike (no mod money!)

Any advice? Im dying to get a JKU!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-24-2013, 08:44 PM
Rock God

It took me 15 years to pay off my student loans, so I can relate. If you are looking for a replacement engine with a modest increase in power I would suggest a GM 5.3 V8 from Motech. Your Jeep will cost $15K, and a 5.3 swap cost just under $14K, so that gets you into a V8 JKU for under $30K. If you are looking for a big increase in power then you'll need to consider a GM 6.2, or even a 6.4 Hemi, which is what I have. The price goes up considerably with the power increase, but the fun factor of driving that Jeep goes through the roof.
post #3 of 12 Old 10-25-2013, 04:54 AM
Granite Guru

Search for MoTech if you would consider a Chevy V8 swap (they tend to be cheaper and arguably better). They have a ton of knowledge in the threads they have posted. They would also be a good source for a cheap 3.8 if your high mileage one would crap out before you want to spend the funds on a V8 swap.

Come to terms with this now: No V8 swap is going to be cheap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 10-25-2013, 05:25 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

the big factor of engine swap cost is how much you can get the motor/tranny for deals can be found. i think i saw in motechs post they charge around 5k for labor. but its alot of work. is it doeable in a home garage? yes. theres also a thead of one guys swap in his home garage.

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #5 of 12 Old 10-25-2013, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Fortunately it wont be my only vehicle so I can afford to spend a couple weekends doing the swap without it being a big setback. Ive never swapped an engine before but I am fairly mechanically inclined and my dad is a mechanic (airline).

I guess my main question is if I can do all of the work myself and source decent prices on parts, whats the lowest cost I could do a V8 or diesel swap? My dad has a miata and they make several V8 kits for them but the cost varies a lot depending on if you do it and what kits you use. It can cost over $10k easily to pay someone but some guys have managed the same thing for well under $5k doing it themselves (they also made their own fixtures/brackets though so it wasnt much of a kit build)
post #6 of 12 Old 10-25-2013, 12:31 PM
Rock God

Garage

Honestly man, it sounds like you are way too impatient to get a JK. I would suggest take a step back and ask if you really need one. Since you already have a primary vehicle, what is the love affair with a JK? If you just want a monster, weekend warrior rig then why not consider an XJ or TJ/LJ? IMO, it doesn’t make sense to shell out $15K for a high mileage JK and to turn around and spend another $15K in an engine swap. If you are trying to avoid the money pit, that doesn’t sound like the solution. You can get into a 2014 JK Unlimited Sport for around $27K loaded.

-Dan

2008 JK X: Sold
post #7 of 12 Old 10-25-2013, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_M View Post
Honestly man, it sounds like you are way too impatient to get a JK. I would suggest take a step back and ask if you really need one. Since you already have a primary vehicle, what is the love affair with a JK? If you just want a monster, weekend warrior rig then why not consider an XJ or TJ/LJ? IMO, it doesn’t make sense to shell out $15K for a high mileage JK and to turn around and spend another $15K in an engine swap. If you are trying to avoid the money pit, that doesn’t sound like the solution. You can get into a 2014 JK Unlimited Sport for around $27K loaded.

-Dan
I recently moved to a very mountainous area and expect a decent bit of snow. I currently drive a RWD 300+ RWHP mustang on summer tires. I need something 4x4 just for daily driving but also because there are a lot of rough, back country roads and trails around here that I would like to check out. I also need something that can tow my jet skis.
The idea behind the 15k now and motor swap later is that I can get the vehicle I need soon, start upgrading it slowly while saving and paying off my loan, then when/if it comes time to replace the motor I can build it to something with real power.

Spending $25k on a car isnt a huge issue, its spending it all right now when I have a loan I would like to focus on. I could afford both but I wouldnt have nearly as much "extra" money.
post #8 of 12 Old 10-26-2013, 10:11 AM
Granite Guru

I just finished a Motech v8 swap into my 2007 and I've had just a couple of little test drives so far but I think it's gonna be great. The engine and tranny cost me $3000 for a 2012 LC9 with 18k Kim's on it. I think the kit with the adapters and such is around $6000 and I sold my old engine for $2000. Add another $1000 or so in extras so about $8000 to do it yourself. It's not hard but takes time waiting for parts and programming. The actual engine swap is quite easy.

A new Jk here is getting closer to $42000 so I had a lot left over to build what I wanted and its way better than stock. I'm probably close to $40000 into it now but it's built up now.

I'd say a lift kit and tires first then go from there. I towed a 2200 lb tent trailer 17 hours to Moab and back a couple of times, once with 32's and once with 35's. once I got the 35's I needed more power on the highway but basic off road was okay. I should have my new gears in next week and ill be able to post if it was worth all the work.

Sean
post #9 of 12 Old 10-26-2013, 10:42 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXIS View Post
Fortunately it wont be my only vehicle so I can afford to spend a couple weekends doing the swap without it being a big setback. Ive never swapped an engine before but I am fairly mechanically inclined and my dad is a mechanic (airline).

I guess my main question is if I can do all of the work myself and source decent prices on parts, whats the lowest cost I could do a V8 or diesel swap? My dad has a miata and they make several V8 kits for them but the cost varies a lot depending on if you do it and what kits you use. It can cost over $10k easily to pay someone but some guys have managed the same thing for well under $5k doing it themselves (they also made their own fixtures/brackets though so it wasnt much of a kit build)
I'm not well versed in this but I think your only economical swap is to a V8. From what I understand with the diesel, you are going to pay more for the engine as well as everything related to the swap is more because you have to swap out more(ie:fuel system). I also believe that it weights more so you will need to address your suspension.

Like I said, I'm not well versed in this so hopefully others will chime in with more info for you.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
post #10 of 12 Old 10-26-2013, 02:54 PM
V8 dreams

I have looked into buying a high mileage JKU that's been taken care of just to do an LS swap. It made sense to me until I realized I'd lose quite a bit in the mods I've already done to my current one, some permanent and some not but I ain't taking all that shit off. So in the mean time I'm just waiting and saving

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2010 Silver JKU
post #11 of 12 Old 10-26-2013, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I guess what thing that will help sway me one way or the other is whats the life expectancy for a fairly well maintained 3.8 and automatic tranny?

I could easily justify buying 100k+ miles if many of them are lasting well above that. I went by a dealership today and they were asking $35k-$50k for all of their JKUs (they were almost all lifted with tires and a few add ons. Not nearly enough to justify their markup though).

Spending $15k on a used one that I can build up over time would be great by me as long as I can expect the motor to last a good while. I love DIY mods so building one isnt a problem. My mustang has been modded a lot over the years and it much nicer than it was stock (leather interior, audio, exterior, suspension, etc.)
post #12 of 12 Old 10-26-2013, 10:46 PM
Rock God

^^^ This changes the question ^^^

JK's are amazing, IMO. So much so that many of us buy older vehicles to DD and drive while our newer model JK's eclipse the point of "toy" status.

Anyway- low mile motors from the likes of Motech go for 1,200-1,500 minus shipping... and that is for motors with sometimes as little as 80 miles. So the myth that you can replace the v6 for the cost of a swap is "forum fodder".

I know this because I have tried to do the swap with the same budget that a shop done 3.8 replacement would cost- and ended up with another 3.8L. Now I am getting into a 5.3L swap, and even with trying to cut corners with a carb'd setup (dont) you still are not going to get under $5k going with a reputable and established (MoTech) conversion shop for a DYI kit centered around the LS.

An 80 to 80k mile motor, with accessories, for $1,500 is a solid option IMO.

Soon to be a vendor!!!
Looking for a good Rat Rod JK donor vehicle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode